FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Men. How do I deal with them? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Men. How do I deal with them?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you guy's think is the best way for a guy to approach a girl and convey his feelings? I'll let you guy's know why I need this answer in a little bit...

EDIT: Yeah, its a HOW. Thanks for pointing that out.

[ October 04, 2005, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you mean "How do I deal with them?" Just thought I'd point that out. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
By olfactory signals on a gentle breeze.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the girl. There is no spoon.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point, I'd recommend inviting said girl to share a meal, preferably after a period of extended acquaintance. But then, I'm married, so I don't have to worry about introductory feeling conveyance any more.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Mine told me he loved me. [Dont Know] Of course, by that point, I already knew and was already having similar heart palpitations, so it was welcome.

Edited to add: And asked me to marry him in the very next sentence. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
It really does depend on the girl. I feel weird when guys I barely know hit on me. Other girls appreciate it.

Anyhow, you deal with guys the same way you deal with girls. Despite my friend's claim that guys and girls are different species, and girls are unfathomable, I think that the differences between males and females aren't as big as some make them out to be. Men and women have a lot of the same fears, desires and dreams. My general mode of operation is to treat my male friends about the same way I treat my female friends. Honestly, there's about as much variation among members of one sex as there are between the sexes. You have to consider people as individuals, not as part of a very large and very variable group.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have to ask that question, I don't think you're dealing with men. Sounds more like boys to me.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A man's feelings of true love should be conveyed sometime well after sexual*relations begin,
but before his paramour starts even thinking about dumping him for "not caring".

Girls just wanna have fuh-uhn, yeah-ah
Girls just wanna have fun

* And I don't necesssarily mean actually having sex. The when of a sexual relationship's beginning depends on the personalities of the individuals involved, and not on the act itself.

[ October 04, 2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, there isn't a particularly good way, so I must always do it wrong. [Wink]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's what happened:
There is a guy at my school, he is one of the librarians(he's NOT the one that looks like Legolas), and he is in student sposored housing too, so we live in the same apartment complex. Well, he comes to visit the other day at around 10ish(people here generally go to sleep at around 12 or 1am) and I showed him some flash videos, well he invites me to a Starschmucks around the corner and we just talked. We went to his apartment to watch a movie and when we came back to my place, it was about 2am by then, he starts acting really weird. Well, he was watching something on the computer and I just get up to doodle on a piece of paper(cause caffeine makes me want to do SOMETHING every moment, I cannot be still at all) and he gets up and starts massaging my back and kissing the back of my neck. At that point I was like, "WTF mate!?"
I didn't know how to deal with the situation and I had no intrerest of that type towards him. I just tell him to stop because he is making me feel uncomfortable. He does and later on he just leaves. He had asked me if I had any significant other as we were going for the coffee and I had told him about Michael. Why did he try to pull this off on me when he knew I had feelings for someone else? After much thought, I think that he was just trying to get in my pants. Once again, I do not know how to deal with men. I don't know exactly how a man should approach a girl and tell he he wants something with her, but I am sure that what he did was DEFINATELY NOT THE BEST WAY TO DO IT.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, call me old-fashioned, but if you go out with a guy by yourself until 2am, I think that many of them will probably think you're into them. Even if you talk about another guy while you're with him. I'm not saying he was right or anything, just saying you might be putting across some messages you don't really mean.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I know what you mean Jeniwren(Double post'ed!). But I wasn't acting in anyforward way or anything and we didn't even know each other for that much so I still cannot fathom while he did such a thing.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Might ask a girlfriend who knows you well what she thinks. A lot of this is body language, which doesn't translate too well online. [Smile]

OTOH, this guy just might be a jerk. I'd recommend you not be alone with him again, ever. Just to be safe.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt,

One of the essential skills of life for women (especially pretty women) is learning how to deal with male attention. I think you're fine for staying out late - it's college! That's what it's for! And I'm proud of you for saying no when he tried something you didn't want.

You're never a bad person or cold or mean or anything for rejecting a guy's attempts. As long as he is not physically too close or tries to intimidate you verbally or physically, then the attempt is not an insult. Saying you're interested in someone else isn't enough to stave it off, and that's okay. He tries, you say no, and life is fine. [Smile] If he doesn't take no for an answer or else is insulting or intimidating, then don't be alone with him again.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What do you guy's think is the best way for a guy to approach a girl and convey his feelings?
Two words: Shiny object.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for instance, was once charmed by a York Peppermint Pattie wrapper.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes notes*
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPhysicsGeek
Member # 8655

- posted      Profile for KPhysicsGeek   Email KPhysicsGeek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
What do you guy's think is the best way for a guy to approach a girl and convey his feelings?

I hooked my wife by inviting her to take a nap with me. (Not as weird as it sounds because we had known each other for a couple years and were good friends at the time)
Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried several attempts. From the awkward, "uh, would you like to go out sometime?" to the more well thought out approaches. I've been dating my girlfriend for over 4 years now, and I got her by showing up unannounced at her house and inviting her to go for a walk with me. I don't recommend that as a surefire method, however.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Alt, if I was that guy, I'd have probably thought that maybe you were into me, too. Spending a lot of time together, etc. The nervousness or 'acting weird' was him screwing up his courage to make a move. [Wink]

He made it, you shot him down - it's nothing new. You did nothing wrong, and neither did he. You just misread each other's signals.

No big. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Olivet.

Most college guys, it seems, usually do something physical to convey their feelings, as opposed to just blurting out, "I like you" or otherwise bringing it up in conversation. It's an easier way to do things, in my opinion, and it generally avoids the awkward silences that can come up in the, "I have feelings for you. Let's explore that" conversation.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I will say your situation is not unusual. In his mind he was probably thinking that since you had spent all evening with him, that somehow during all that you may have stopped having feelings for Michael and started to dig him a little. He certainly handled it poorly and you certainly did the right thing rebuffing him. That is a wiggy situation and in retrospect I think I might have said exactly what your thought was: Why the heck would you start licking and pawing me after I told you I am into someone else, you cad?!?

Don't try too hard to understand men though. In the words of Bill Envall, they all just want a beer and to see something nekkid. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Do what comes naturally. Always carry a tazer, and mace. Get a concealed weapon permit, and carry tranqualizers.

I'm sure you can find more infromation on google, try how to tame an animal.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
May I say that I resent that.

*goes off to sing "I'm a mormon boy."

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

So is raventh1, the last time I checked. [Wink]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

The only weapon I carry handy is my XACTO knife. Since I'm in an art school, I need it to cut paper very presicely and stuff. I don't like to carry that around though, its definately dangerous. I'll ask my local law enforcement if pepper spray is banned. Every girl needs a key chain with one if those if you ask me.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I need to know much the same thing. I can never get up the courage to flirt with guys.

EDIT: So, my question is: what is the proper way for a guy to approach another guy, and this flirting thing--how does it work?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

?_? I'd help you, but I am a girl.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Alt, it sounds like pfresh is in need of help, and you as a girl could help him. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Joldo, maybe you should make your own thread, since I'm thinking that our Hatrackers best positioned to advise you may not be actively reading this thread...
Joldo
Member # 6991

Hm? Oh no, I'm mostly kidding. The matchmaker bit's just moking TomDavidson, because the image of him dressed as Yente is almost as fun as Snape dressed as Neville's grandma. [Razz]

[That is the name, right?]

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, if I was a gay man and wanted to go out with some other gay or bi man, then I'd probably do the following:
MAKE SURE HE IS GAY OR BI -I doubt he will appreciate it much if you ask him out and he is straight. Specially with all this "macho" crap going on.
ITS BEST IF YOU WERE HIS FRIEND FIRST -As a girl, I do not like it when strangers ask me to be their girl, its just not right.

I don't think I'd know much more after that. ^.^;;;; Sorry...

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

ITS BEST IF YOU WERE HIS FRIEND FIRST

This is why monkey boy hit on you. The signals women use for friendship with men are pretty much the same as the ones they use for romantic attraction. Men know this, so they never really know whether a woman likes them or likes them until they make that first sexually charged step outside of friendship territory. This also goes back to the often made observation on the forum that most men who are a woman's friend really want to screw her.

--Dr. Phil Saxon

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Random fact: I was once told I would make a cute gay guy. I never really understood that (does it mean that I'm not a cute straight guy?)
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, if you were told you'd make a cute gay guy, you ought to be *highly* attractive to women. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was once told I would make a cute gay guy.
What a wierd thing to say to somebody. What was the context?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

A female friend of mine was talking to me (I don't recall what about) and out of nowhere she said "Oh yeah, a gay friend of mine wanted me to tell you that you'd make a cute gay guy." Why I was told this I'm not sure. The female friend knew I was straight (since she was one of the ones who helped me get my first girlfriend).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Maybe her gay friend had a crush on you. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

It could have been. Heck if I know. I just thought it was a good random fact. [Big Grin]
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Indeed! And a flattering one too! [Big Grin]
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the guy wanted to get it on with you! [Blushing]

I've been propositioned by a gay guy before... in the bathroom, as he tried to get a peek into my urinal... The whole time he was doing this he was clearly trying to flirt with me.

It was very freaky because as most guys know, there's just a "code" you follow when you're in a public bathroom full of guys. You guys know what I mean, right?

*shudders*

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, that's a definite violation of the code.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Anecdote about one of my gay friends: We were at a theatre to see a show for class, and he went to the bathroom during intermission. Came back almost in a panic and described how he'd been "visually raped" by some guy who tried to peek into his urinal.

From this I surmised that gay men also see generally this as a "code violation."

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, that's a huge violation of the code. Someone must not have given him the rule book when he was younger.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't even recall being given the rule book. It just seemed implied.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
"Keep to the code."

"They're more like guidelines."

[Eek!] [Monkeys]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's kinda sad the way our society has no intrest in valuing the privacy of menfolk. Women are far more likely to have separated shower stalls, etc.

You'd think for creatures that love going to the bathroom together so much, they'd have no problem sitting on the pot in full view of each other so as not to impede their chatting. [Wink]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah. Worst experiences of lack of privacy: middle school showering after football practice (the guys' locker room just has 2 poles with 4 shower heads on each in the middle of an empty room) and the men's bathrooms at the Astrodome (the urinals is just one long metal trough).
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.