FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need sleep help for Space Space Baby (in Hospital now) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need sleep help for Space Space Baby (in Hospital now)
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope things improve. *hugs*
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Space Space Baby and his poor mama!

It did sound a lot like reflux to me. Almost all of the babies in the PCN have it and the bassinets are all inclined. The more severe refluxers sleep in a danny sling with a wedge under their crip mattresses. If Aerin's reflux doesn't resolve in a few months, that's what I'm going to do. Here's where you can get them:

https://store.childmed.com/Detail.cfm?matrn=91022-C2&clogid=11&categoryID=12&action=search&searchText=&searchCat=&searchPart=&searchResults=5

https://store.childmed.com/Detail.cfm?matrn=91022-W&clogid=11&categoryID=12&action=search&searchText=&searchCat=&searchPart=&searchResults=5

The medications they use to treat reflux are Reglan ( http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a684035.html ) and Zantac ( http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a601106.html ). Aerin has done much better on the Zantac. Holding them upright for 30 minutes after eating helps, too. It also helps if you put them on your chest and lay back with them.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww. I hope he feels better soon. (((hugs for the Opera Company)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I hope they find the cause! My heart goes out to all your family, SO.

I have always believed that babies that can't sleep and cry all the time are in some sort of pain or discomfort that we just don't understand and they are incapable of explaining to us. I can't tell you how many times I've had a baby cry incessantly, I think, "Go to sleep already!" I check, and then discover some previously unseen source of pain or discomfort (like a pacifier pinned under their back, or a pinch in their clothing, etc.) Then once it's fixed, they're fine.

Whether it's tummy pain or something else, I hope you find it and overcome it. Failure to thrive is a sad, sad thing to be diagnosed with. [Frown]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know how to do linkies.
You just go the the "full reply form" and there's a button.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
((SO))
((SSB))
*smooches*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
lord trousers--
Mommies do roll over on their babies sometimes. My father works for Child Protection, and he's had cases where that happened. Just thought I'd mention it.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((SO)))
(((SSB)))

I hope he gets well soon.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]

This must be so hard. Let's hope and pray this will resolve space space babies troubles and he will soon start sleeping and thriving.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Anna!
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
How incredibly frustrating and worrying! It sounds like you really are trying everything and I'm sorry to hear the wee one is now in the hospital.

The only other thing I haven't seen mentioned here is maybe a wheat allergy? I assume you are not consuming caffeine?

Warm restful thoughts to the Opera family.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That really make sense. It's good to have an idea why it's happening. Olivia was FTT too and it sucked. If your LC has not yet set you up with a nursing supplementer ( the formula is sucked down from a tiny tube taped next to the nipple), I'd highly suggest asking for one. WE used it with Livie for about a month, and I think it saved our breastfeeding relationship.

AMEN to everything lord trousers said.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
His information is incorrect, though. You might HOPE everything he said is correct, but it isn't perfectly safe for anybody.

Maybe amen IS the right word. Like a prayer that it works out safely. Hmmm.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is scary - but hopefully they'll find what's wrong and you and Space Space Baby will both be getting plenty of comfortable rest soon.

All my best wishes to you.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
His information is incorrect, though. You might HOPE everything he said is correct, but it isn't perfectly safe for anybody.

Not all experts agree.

http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/faq.html

http://www.genengnews.com/news/bnitem.aspx?name=1079469XSL_NEWSML_TO_NEWSML_WEB.xml&css=printOnly.css

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

That's very interesting.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Theaca, every single health care professional who has been involved with my children- 2 pediatricians, 2 midwife practices, and my own health care provider- have affirmed the safety of co-sleeping. In fact, the hospital based midwives I had my first child with activeley encourage mothers to co-sleep. There is a huge difference of opinions, medical and otherwise, and they seem to be fueled more by opionion than science. I don't think you can definitively prove co-sleeping is safe, any more than you can definitively prove crib sleeping is safe. While both a drunk co sleeping parent or a recalled crib can be evidence of one unsafe situation, the fact is that most parents are doing the best and the safest according to thier ability and knowledge, and babies still die, and we don't really know why. But whether these baies die in a crib or the family bed, a defect in the autonomic system is probably more likely to blame than where the baby was sleeping.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

I'm mostly going by the official AAP guidelines. Also, I thought CT had some good links last time we had a thread on this. I don't recall the specifics anymore. *points to Fyfe's post* I'm glad I don't have kids so I don't have to worry about it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There are LOTS of doctors who dispute the AAP guidelines on this. And LOTS who affirm them. [Dont Know] I guess it all depends. Most doctors I've talked to about it say that whatever works for the family is best, as long as both parents are healthy, neither drinks before bed, neither smokes, neither uses drugs or is on medication that can cause heavy sleeping, and neither has a sleep disorder.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

*points to Ela's links*

What Fyfe had to say was rather anecdotal.

Theaca
Member # 8325

*Points to AAP policy* We can point links at each other all day or just stop arguing about it.

I only pointed at Fyfe's links to say how scary these choices are and I'm glad I don't have to make them. I wasn't trying to prove anything.

romanylass
Member # 6306

Sorry, I'm tetchy today.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
*Points to AAP policy* We can point links at each other all day or just stop arguing about it.

Actually, a pet peeve about the AAP policy is that it was formulated without reference to the AAP members who are breastfeeding experts. They (the breastfeeding experts) disagree with the policy.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just remember, the so-called "experts" over time have also said things like:

Holding babies for more time than just feeding and cleaning will spoil them.

Not letting babies "cry it out" will spoil them.

All babies should eat on a standard schedule.

Pregnant mommies should smoke to keep their weight down.

Bottlefeeding/formula is "better" for baby (as in healthier, more acceptable/easier, etc.)

[Roll Eyes]

You've come a long way, baby . . .

Do what works best for your particular situation.

And yes, parents that drink, do drugs, take legally prescribed sedatives/medications, etc., can roll over in their sleep and smother their baby.

CPS attends FAR MORE cases of parents that intentionally harm their children.

Just saying . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as of Friday, Space Space Baby was back up to his birth weight of 8 pounds 4 ounces! [Smile]

We're holding off on medication for now because keeping him inclined is helping dramatically. We're also not letting him go more than 3 hours without nursing - the two times we let him sleep almost 5 hours he was terribly crabby and swallowing a lot of junk back in his throat after eating.

He's both sleeping and nursing better. For most of today he's barely taken any formula after nursing, so that's good news! We go back to the doc on Wednesday for another weight check.

Thanks again, everyone!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Yay!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
YEAY! [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness! I'm so happy for y'all. Reflux stinks.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good! Sweet dreams, SSB
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Big Grin] I'm very glad.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's good news! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Fantastic news! [Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I hope everything continues to go well for you!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Does this mean he's out of the hospital? Great!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I'm so glad to see that the little one is improving. I've been so concerned. Space Space Baby just has a different inclination than the rest of us. Who could have guessed?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Great news! *smiles*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooooohoooooo! [Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Yay!!!
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
That is great news!
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Space Space Baby just has a different inclination than the rest of us. Who could have guessed?
Well, he is the son of a Hatracker. [Wink]

Is he still doing better? [Smile]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Hope things are still going well for you guys.

Daniel had reflux and needed a raised mattress, but as soon as the little bugger could scoot around we'd find him huddled in a tiny ball at the very bottom of the incline! Didn't seem to negatively affect him in any way, it was just funny to find him like that in the morning.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.