FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dallas has felt my presence: (Now a discussion of cookies.) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dallas has felt my presence: (Now a discussion of cookies.)
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
If enough people who eat kosher sign up, you could have your own kosherloop, maybe?

Or if it's possible for the non-Jewish to comply? I'm not sure what is involved. Does your kitchen have to be blessed by a Rabbi? That seems like it would be cool!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Kitchens don't require rabbinical blessings. In fact, kosher Jews always find this assumption to be kind of amusing. [Smile] It is just that the ingredients, ovens, utensils, and preparations have to be all kosher -- that is, conforming to "the rules".

Even if we had a kosherloop, there is the problem of trust. Just because I SAY I am 100% kosher, does that mean that you trust my ingredients and preparations? Perhaps I am a wee bit lax in my adherence to the rules, and I either think that is perfectly fine, or I don't even realize that I'm not in 100% adherence. But you haven't seen my kitchen, my way of preparing things, or the ingredients that I think are fine. And maybe if you did, you would feel that I'm not as kosher as I think I am. So you might not want to accept my cookies on my say so.

One thing that most kosher Jews can agree on is that if an independent overseer supervises the kitchen and everything that goes in and out of it, and that this supervisor is a trustworthy person whose understanding of kashrut is on the up and up, then the stuff coming out of that kitchen would be fine. But regular people don't have independent overseers supervising their kitchens. Some commercial kitchens do, though, and the things that come out of those kitchens can bear the "certified seal of kosherness" (a heksher) that lets us know that it is okie dokie.

So, you could send commercial cookies (like OREOS) to a kosher person, if the package sported an acceptable heksher. But not home baked cookies. So don't bother. I can go out and buy my own Oreos.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes. The problem of trust comes into other religions as well. I just thought it would be a cool thing to learn how to do. It might come in handy. Who knows? I might want to send cookies to some orthodox Jews someday.

Do you every worry our doubt whether you can trust the heksher on commercially made foods?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Errors have been known to occur. I get a list of Kosher food alerts and mislabeling emailed to me every so often.

Some restaurants or kosher products lose their kosher status if they are found to be making mistakes (or more sinisterly, deliberately circumvent the rules, usually motivated by profit).

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, could cookies be made with approved ingredients (after sending pictures of kosher labels, say) and all-new utensils? Or would the oven itself have to be brand new or kashered (?), too?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Ask three Jews, get three different answers. [Dont Know]

But, speaking for myself, I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough.

I had a friend who kept kosher and was okay with new utensils. On the other hand, we were close friends with a long history together, and that would naturally make a difference in what assumptions one would be willing to make.

Regardless, KarlEd, I'd love to send you my pastry cookies. I'll dig up some other recipes that have been particularly well-received, too. [Smile]

Edited to add: And virtual kosher cookies for Tante! [Smile]

[ January 15, 2006, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Did this get launched? I've been only checking on a few specific threads lately and didn't see if a thread got started actually getting this going?

Are we still interested? (I am [Smile] )

[Smile] at CT. Didn't see your note until just now.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm sorry - I haven't started it yet. [Smile] I can do that this morning.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I want recipes. Please. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love recipes too. Please. [Wink]
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm glad everyone is excited. I'm two procedures away from finishing a manual - as soon as I do that (in the next twenty minutes, I hope), I can call this a good work day and set up the exchange. I'm stoked for the chance to spread the joy that is pumpkin cookies.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I could send cookies...first or so. I'm actually making soft, yummy snickerdoodles (my very own recipe) this coming week/weekend and would be happy to send some off. I usually make about 10 dozen when I make them because everyone loves them so much. [Smile]

So one question would be, are we each sending a dozen or so? Or how many? More? Less? Should we have guidelines at all?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.