FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A momentus discovery in the history of man: Water found elsewear in the Universe! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A momentus discovery in the history of man: Water found elsewear in the Universe!
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, when is the launch of the Europa landing probe schedualed for? I'm pretty sure that NASA is building one....
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
It is not just what you said above. Europa has a magnetic field similar to Earth's that has some of the same characteristics. Europa's topographical features also give hints and evidence to support this.

Cassini, when passing through it, discovered that 65% percnet of Enceladus's atmosphere was water. Water vapor. So yes, Liquid water probably exists on it's SURFACE.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
Speaking of which, when is the launch of the Europa landing probe schedualed for? I'm pretty sure that NASA is building one....

I think that it might have been put aside in the budget cut. Not sure, though.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubtful Retic, the surface is too cold to support LIQUID water. It would exist undernearth the surface, which is ice crust.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

There is currently no Plan by NASA.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. I waited all that time for Hughyes probe to land, and now the only other probe for awhle is bound for Mars.

I WANT TO SEE MICROBES DANG IT!

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

No, actually the geyesers create the water, which turns in to water vapor. It isn't nessecarily on the surface, so much as vapor. It exists very close to the surface as liquid water, though.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

You mean Huygens?
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Given the current political climate, it may be awhile before NASA gets funding for new projects. A shame, but there it is.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Sorry, never remember how to spell it correctly. And yeah hugh, it is a shame.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
No, actually the geyesers create the water, which turns in to water vapor. It isn't nessecarily on the surface, so much as vapor. It exists very close to the surface as liquid water, though.

You said Europa before, but you're talking about Enceladus right?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Thus when it really comes down to it, ice on any other stellar body is only theoretical, despite the proof we have. Until we get an actual probe, on the surface to do a test, we won't know for sure.

No, spectroscopic analysis from a distance can confirm water or ice or other chemicals--but only on surfaces. The interior of Europa doesn't emit anything to analyze.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Oh, yes. Enceladus.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Actually, it emits a magnetic field, due to the slt in its oceans.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the presence of water does not imply the presence of life
But it does heavily hint at it. If there's, water, methane, ammonia, and hydrogen, it's quite likely that there's life. Link
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize how cold it is there, right? It's quite quite cold. The most bizarre thing to me is that the temperature at the pole is warmer than at the equator. On the Nasa page they said it was like finding out Anarctica was warmer than the Sahara. What could be causing that anomaly?

One part of me wants to think of protozoans huddling around a post-apocalyptic nuclear waste dump. [Group Hug] But it's anyone's guess at this point. It's super thrilling that they've found it. I can't wait until we actually explore the solar system! How has humanity resisted the urge for so long? It's mysterious and it's huge and it's where we live! Don't you guys just want to know what's there? Are we going to stay on this one little blue marble forever?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope not, Tatiana. That way, those of us with our ignorant, small minded belief in a simple book can leave this world and fly to a better one.

Pun intended, but being serious too.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Advent, check out this part of the Forum Users Agreement you had to accept befor creating a user on Hatrack (the bolding is mine):

quote:
You also agree that you will not use this forum to try to convert people to your own religious beliefs, or to disparage others for their own religious beliefs.
-Bok
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I definitely agree with you there Swampy.
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I will never be converted or respect them
You can still respect a person without having to respect the religion.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

I didn't say that I never respect the person (Bush and Cheney are my exceptions) I just don't respect religons.

But please don't get me started. I am trying to be polite and keep my mouth shut.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
But please don't get me started. I am trying to be polite and keep my mouth shut.

See this is a thing that rankles me. If you hit the "Add Reply" button with a post that has this sentence in it (or one like it), guess what? Too late, you aren't polite. Advent you aren't the only one (heck, I've done it on occassion), just the most recent example I've read.

You could have left it out, and actually BEEN polite, rather than "just trying".

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I think Advent needs some ice... For that awesome burn!

*looks for high-fives*

None? Well then, fine.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.