FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Getting in shape for a cruise (Now the Hatracker's Getting in Shape support thread) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Getting in shape for a cruise (Now the Hatracker's Getting in Shape support thread)
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev: It also sounds like a great cookie recipe for diabetics. Am I correct in assuming this?
Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not diabetic, but to some extent I am trying to eat like one.

My father-in-law is diabetic and has been so faithful in his diet since being diagnosed, that he no longer shows up as diabetic on tests. I have watched how he eats, and I think there is merit there for any healthy diet.

I have suspected for some time that I don't deal well with insulin and sugar. I judge this by the way I put on weight, *what* causes me to put on weight, and the results of several gestational diabetes tests. I don't *ever* want to develop diabetes. I'd rather live preventatively.

But I eat in ways that diabetics do not. For example, most diabetics aren't particularly concerned with omega 3s. (Though recent research shows that they *should* be.) Also, I will eat a potato more readily than sugar because the potato has nutrition value whereas sugar doesn't. Same thing with carrots. A diabetic would avoid all those equally.

Mostly I am trying to eat healthy (maximum nutrition) and in a way that will facilitate weight-loss.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
seriously.. eat grapefruit and cinnamon... it will help and it's healthy living... you'll like it! it will help weight loss also! read my previous post.. I'm borderline .. but I won't give up the taters or carrots
Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I could add cinnamon to my hot cereal... the benefits sound like something I'd like to take advantage of.

Not sure if I could get used to grapefruit though. My husband likes it, but I never have. What, exactly, is it about grapefruit that makes it effective? I might be willing to learn to like it if I am motivated enough.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting so big on green tea...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I was lurking for a bit but I wanted to say thanks. Reading this post got me off my butt and into the gym this afternoon. I did two half hour sessions on the elliptical machine with a half hour of weight lifting and stretching in between.

My goal right now is 10lbs. I lost 15lbs a few months back by going to the gym several times a week and cutting back on sugar. I've maintained it for a couple months now and I'm ready to get back and work.

Seriously though, the best part of working out is the endorphin rush. I always HATE getting ready to go to the gym and look for any excuse to get out. But once I'm there, I have to be dragged away from all the equipment.

Now I just got to get some good food in my house. Its hard when I can't cook and I'm living on a college student's budget. Might make some tuna salad next week. That always works well for me.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally bought the pass to the Rec center, and I made plans with a friend to work out and swim wednesday after school. Wish me luck.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Good luck! I was wondering how things were going for you.

Pretty soon I need to post my recipe for chiffon cake with strawberries and cream. ^_^

pH
Member # 1350

I somehow managed to pull a muscle in my forearm opening water bottles. Yeah, I'm a wuss. I know.

Anyways, hopefully I'll get back into my exercise routine tomorrow; I was nauseous most of the weekend.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I just got back from my first workout, and I'm feeling really good about myself. I'll try to keep you guys updated!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much need to join this thread. An entire pregnancy spent on modified, then hospital bed rest does not help your figure. Nor does the carbs and sugar they feed you to get the baby's weight up (it was so surreal to hear my mother and the nurses urging me to eat just one more piece of cake). Then there's the having a baby in the hospital for 3 months and then having a baby who is not allowed out. And all the stress eating and the underlying horrible eating habits. And this weight is added to the fertility treatment weight.

Sigh. I have a long way to go. As soon as the weather clears, I am taking Aerin to the park every day for walks. I got a new baby carrier, so I can use that when she gets tired of her stroller. I'm also planning to get a pedometer to make sure I get in my 10,000 steps per day.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
(it was so surreal to hear my mother and the nurses urging me to eat just one more piece of cake).
O_o

quote:
I'm also planning to get a pedometer to make sure I get in my 10,000 steps per day.
Sounds like a marvelous idea. I need to do the same.

I haven't seen the loss I would've liked to see by now since first posting. Only one pound rather than 2 or 3. That's why I don't like projecting. :/

pH
Member # 1350

My hypoglycemia seems to have come back with a vengance...I've been really really tired for the past couple of weeks, and I started getting horrible headaches this weekend.

I made the brilliant connection when I realized that the headaches mostly go away when I eat something.

Last time I had this problem was almost two years ago, and I wasn't exercising nearly as vigorously.

So now I have to eat more protein and fat, and I have to eat about every three hours, since that seems to be about how long it takes after meals for the headache to come back, generally.

Any suggestions on still eating healthily, especially while exercising and actively trying to get in better shape?

-pH

Tinros
Member # 8328

Workout #2 went VERY well. I'm going swimming tomorrow.
beverly
Member # 6246

I was told about a website today, sparkpeople.com, where you can personalize a diet/fitness plan with your goal and chart your progress. It gives recommendations and reminders, and it gives you a nutritional breakdown of the things you eat.

I cannot *really* use it since I am breastfeeding (it recommends that I take in dangerously few calories) but I am trying to use other aspects of it (like charting progress.)

Anyway, it seems to be string-free, and I thought some of you in this thread might be interested. [Smile]

Edit: I have continued looking into this website and I am *very* pleased so far! I have decided I will use it.

I had to lie about the fact that I am breastfeeding. But don't worry, I am going to use this site to my advantage in connection with my understanding of the needs of a nursing mom. I found out how many calories I ought to be taking in as a breastfeeding mother and changed their recommendations to what I should be getting.

If I faithfully track my food intake, I can find out if I am getting *enough* calories to keep me and baby healthy while I am trying to be fit and lose weight.

[ March 28, 2006, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

pH
Member # 1350

I'm loving how it tracks my calories burned and caloric intake. And protein! Protein is very important for me. [Smile] What a neat site!

-pH

Tinros
Member # 8328

Unfortunately, I can't get into the site. I'm a month and a half short of 18. errr.

Please check out my fitness/food journal. I encourage everyone to also create a food/fitness journal so we can keep each other in check. I even created a "Hatrackers getting in shape" blogring that you can join if you choose to use xanga.

Good luck everyone!

beverly
Member # 6246

I'm sorry you can't get in yet, Tinros! When your birthday comes along, maybe you can check back in.

pH, isn't it cool? After just keeping track of what I ate today, it's really opened my eyes to where my fat calories are coming from! My salad dressing and the oil on my potatoes at dinner tonight were huge culprits--moreso than I would have thought. And while I am getting a lot of protein, I can see that I could still use more. One more protein powder shake a day for me!

I do wish it went a little further and analysed the health content--vitamins, good fats vs. bad, etc. If it does this already, I haven't seen where.

beverly
Member # 6246

pH, what is your SparkPeople name? Mine is "fillycate" and I have a SparkPage, if you'd like to check it out. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.