FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Best Board/Party Games (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Best Board/Party Games
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
What you don't like it?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GutterTenant
Member # 9601

- posted      Profile for GutterTenant   Email GutterTenant         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess it depends what kind of Twister player you are, no?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I inspired a thread on Hatrack. *tear*

Mafia is a pretty awesome game.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife has a custom-made "Truth or Dare" Jenga.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
How does "Truth or Dare" Jenga work???

*edit: typo

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Celaeno - you only need to meet one more Hatracker to become real? I'm in Sunnyvale for the next month or so, and I'm real...

And I like playing board and card games! [Smile]

----

I don't know how Truth or Dare Jenga works, but Drinking Jenga is a lot of fun... Buy a regular Jenga set, and on each block write down drinking orders (take two, give out three, finish your drink...), dares, pranks, rules that everyone has to follow, etc. You pull a block, you have to follow its instructions.

---
A favorite game of mine is Alhambra. It was the Spiel des Jahres 2003(Game of the Year in Germany), which is almost always a good recommendation. It has a feel similar to Settlers and Carcassonne. Each player tries to build a city by buying tiles of different buildings - you get points by having the most (or second or third most) of a type of building in your city at different intervals in the game. On your turn, you can choose to buy a building or collect money (which comes in four different currencies) which will fuel later purchases. The rules are fairly simple, but there's a lot of strategy possible.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
But then what happens if the blocks fall in truth or dare Jenga? Games over, we all had fun?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
"Truth or Dare" Jenga is much like what Jhai described. You write instructions (either a truth to tell, or a dare to do) on each block and you have to do (or tell) what you draw. The person who causes the tower to drop has to draw three blocks from the rubble and follow their instructions (i.e. to discourage people who just want to topple the tower to get the game over with). My wife and I have a "clean" version and a "dirty" version to appeal to any crowd.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Our favorites:

Pirate's Cove - Our current most favorite game ever. We have our little "Pirate's Club" that comes over every Sunday night to play. We even went to the drive-in early to see "Dead Man's Chest" and took a card table to play the game. We play 6 players, with one being the infamous pirate.
Loaded Questions - Our favorite larger group game. We play this sans board. It's more fun. We've played with up to 12 people.

Who, Where, How? - Our favorite party game. It's kind of Charades meets Clue meets Telephone. Seriously fun and seriously funny!

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I find the rules to that last game, diva?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Loaded Questions sounds like fun to me, too! I've played Pirate's Cove and found it not that fun, though. Maybe it was the group I played with?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Celaeno - you only need to meet one more Hatracker to become real? I'm in Sunnyvale for the next month or so, and I'm real...

And I like playing board and card games! [Smile]

Oooh, let's do it. Maybe next week some time? I'll facebook message you. (Because I'm a nerd.)
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had fun playing Catch Phrase.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
So this only kinda relates as it's not really a party-game per-se, but is there anyone else here that plays some variant of Mao?
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Settler's of Catan, by my 2 favorites are Titan and Iron Dragon.

Both of these games take a really long time, but they're a blast.

I don't think Titan is even made anymore, but you can download a free online version called Colossus (which doesn't take nearly as long to play as the original). Basically you go around the board recruiting mythical/fantasy monsters to do battle with other players monsters.

In Iron Dragon, you build railways across a fantasy world (w/ elves, dwarves, and dragons)and ship goods along the railways to generate income.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow. I'm amazed at how many of these games I've never ever heard of. Good list!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Loaded Questions sounds like fun to me, too! I've played Pirate's Cove and found it not that fun, though. Maybe it was the group I played with?

That is true on a lot of these games; the group you are playing them with makes or breaks the game. Some games are more fun than others, but nothing beats a bunch of friends hanging around playing....a lot fo time it doesn't really matter what you ar playing then.

I had a blast over Icarus' house last night, but when we played Malarkey Lisa didn't care for it at first. I know she still doesn't care for it as much as others, but once we loosened up and had fun with it it was a lot more fun overall.

We also played a video board game called Nightmare, her favorite game, and the sequel. It was weird, as I had never played a video board game (it is a video that gives instructions while you play a board game), but it was a blast.

With less fun people it probably wouldn't have been as much fun, though, and we wouldn't have stayed until 1 am. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Where can I find the rules to that last game, diva?

Well, I'd probably just have to tell you them.

Who? Where? How?

3 people leave the room. The rest of the group decides who died, where they died and how they died. It's much more fun if they don't relate at all. An example: Santa Clause died in the Great Salt Lake from lung cancer.

First person enters the room and asks one person "who" and they act it out, charades style. Then they ask someone else "where" and then someone else "how." Once they've seen all of them, person #2 enters the room. Person #2 asks person #1 "who" followed by a reinactment, "where" and "how." The same process is followed for person #3.

After all the charades are done, person #3 guesses who died, where they died and how they died. Then person #2 guesses, then person #1. Then the group reveals what the real answers were.

The 3 people who person #1 asked to act are the next 3 people to leave the room.

It's a riot, and makes for hours of fun! Enjoy!

Edited to add: Grimace, we play Mao. It's fun!

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Holy cow, that sounds like a blast!! Thanks for writing the rules out! [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.