FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Transformers and Then Some (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Transformers and Then Some
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who contributed to this thread and the other. I thought I was going to be bored silly all morning, but thanks to your vigilance I have instead been entertained silly. You're all aces in my book.

[Gah! New page... [Grumble] ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
No! You are a troll!

*eats adventurer*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of off. I'm not trying to consciously, but I find that I'm automatically liking more everyone whom Pumjabee attacks.

It's kind of a community-building exercise.

In the Trust Fall of HatRack, Punjabee is gravity.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk,

hehe, you're right. This is why I laugh when geeks talk about other groups of people getting worked up over silly stuff. There ain't a group of people on Earth who don't get hysterical over some things that to everyone else are pretty trivial.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say one thing for Rakeesh -- he's almost never the person who starts the namecalling.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
No! You are a troll!

*eats adventurer*

You bumped a Wumpus!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yup, I'll admit to that, JT.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*remembers OSC-fan*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
But he keeps it going, proving he's the bigger problem.

Thanks.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Actually, I had pretty much forgotten all about OSC-fan. For some reason, he never really grabbed my attention. Perhaps it was just the name tha made me dismissive-later on it was the content, of course. But the name was pretty uninspired.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Not so much OSC-fan, but the out-of-control threads centered around him which had to get locked down by the moderator.

It's been a long time since that sort of thing has happened.

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Question - when the thread disappeared, does that mean it's gone forever? Not meaning I'd want to post in it - I mean is it gone as read-only, too?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Nighthawk,

hehe, you're right. This is why I laugh when geeks talk about other groups of people getting worked up over silly stuff. There ain't a group of people on Earth who don't get hysterical over some things that to everyone else are pretty trivial.

Are you calling me a geek? Huh? ARE YOU?!? Hey, I'm talking to you!!! Why aren't you listening to me?!?

Idiot.

[Wink]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Which is why Pop doesn't typically delete stuff. Usually it's locked and it falls to its purgatory, somewhere around page 40.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
Question - when the thread disappeared, does that mean it's gone forever? Not meaning I'd want to post in it - I mean is it gone as read-only, too?

Yep.

Unfortunately, that means those of us who had a genuine interesting in pursuing (or quoting) the conversation contained therein are outta luck. [Wink]

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Bummer - but I understand why.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

Well when a thread is completely derailed by trolls, it usually helps to just get rid of it.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

True. Though it doesn't always have to be trolls, plural.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
True. Though it doesn't always have to be trolls, plural.

Well in that threads case, yeah it was plural.
cmc
Member # 9549

GAH! No more with the negative vibes... Can't we all just sit in a cirle, hold hands, make flower chains and sing campy songs??
MightyCow
Member # 9253

All the happy camp songs I know are dirty. [Smile]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Kumbaya my lord... Kumbaya...

Everybody sing!

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
GAH! No more with the negative vibes... Can't we all just sit in a cirle, hold hands, make flower chains and sing campy songs??

Of course we can.

As long as no one is offended.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone's trolling lord... Kumbaya...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

EL Jay isn't here... is she?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Oh lord.... Kumbaya
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Someone's going to get some breakfast and hope things are more friendly when he gets back... Kumbaya.
cmc
Member # 9549

Oh it's a good thing I have my own office cause I just hung up from a phone conversation, refreshed this page and immediately started laughing. From the gut and everything...
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I'm working so hard at stiffling my laughter that tears are starting to leak out of my eyes.
cmc
Member # 9549

I was thinking more like around-the-fire-with-s'mores stuff... For some reason 'Tin Soldier' keeps coming to mind.
vonk
Member # 9027

Mount your horses! Draw your swords!

Hmmm, how is that better?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

It's not, until you get to the end.
cmc
Member # 9549

It's not - that's the horrible part.

How about 'Rarebog' or 'Muscle and Arm' or 'Doodly-do' or the blue bottle song or the Camp (insert yours) Song??

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<raises hand> I started the name calling.

Anymore of this and we'll be upgrading to "Colossal Smeg-head."

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I recall a song about Salty Dogs or something. I think that was pretty good. Ooh ooh, can we sing the song about everything having a purpose, under heaven, turn, turn, turn?

Edit:Ok, back to the Tin Soldier: Who is the people on the hill, and who is the people in the valley? I think we can make this analogy work.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

I want to know why the people on the hill didn't just share their treasure. If you brag about how awesome your treasure is and bury it, refusing to let anyone see it without killing everyone in your kingdom, you're kind of asking for trouble.

Another case of poor leadership dooming the populace.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Especially when your treasure is something that has little value if not shared. It's a freaking idea, people!
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
SO...Not to get things back on the topic or anything but I am going to steal my thread back! [Grumble]

Now I had some legitimate questions about Transformers, in this thread, the one that got deleted and the other one that started this whole mess. [Big Grin]

NOW. Can someone please tell me why it is that Megatron (who now looks like a buch of giant worms crawing all over eachother with metallic stuff here and there) is only seen in the movie for a couple of scenes and why he is stuck under ice. THAT is honestly all I have been after from the start. [Confused]

Please try to keep this on topic from now on. In other word please heed Papa J's sticky about behaving. [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

MightyCow -- I have no idea what you are talking about nor to whom you are talking.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That's not what he meant by behaving. Thread drift will continue to occur, unimpeded, until such time as we're specifically asked by an authority figure to stay on topic.
vonk
Member # 9027

Good point MC. Why didn't the mountain people just say "Hey, valley people, it's not real treasure! It's just a plaque, nothing to get up in arms about. Please don't kill us!" Really, it was a poorly thought out strategy on their part.

(and just because it isn't on topic, doesn't mean it's bad)

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

From the very beginning this thread was not just for talking about Transformers.

The title itself called stuff in the other thread PC (title has since been changed).

Talking about that discussion is continuing the discussion that was started in the first post, not a derailment of the topic.

PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
SO...Not to get things back on the topic or anything but I am going to steal my thread back! [Grumble]

Now I had some legitimate questions about Transformers, in this thread, the one that got deleted and the other one that started this whole mess. [Big Grin]

NOW. Can someone please tell me why it is that Megatron (who now looks like a buch of giant worms crawing all over eachother with metallic stuff here and there) is only seen in the movie for a couple of scenes and why he is stuck under ice. THAT is honestly all I have been after from the start. [Confused]

Please try to keep this on topic from now on. In other word please heed Papa J's sticky about behaving. [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

In one of the comic series from recent years, the T-Formers eventually left earth, but somehow ended up crashlanding or something. It's been a while since I read the issues, but what I do remember is that Megs was found in the antarctic or something, and he was encased in ice, deactivated.

The army moved him and activated him, but he wasn't fully aware. He was a puppet that they were going to use for defense.

Then he woke up completely and all hell broke loose. Maybe that's the angle they are going for.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
But it wasn't until the mountain people said that they would share their treasure that the valley people got all up in arms about it. What kind of logic is that?

"Sure, we'll share it with you"

"What? They're going to share? Kill them all!"

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

One Tin Soldier, my friend. A truly depressing song about the folly of war, and the stupidity of the mountain people who spread rumors about their valuable treasure, which turns out, in a horrible irony, to be nothing more than the phrase, "Peace on Earth."

Oddly enough, Transformers could be described as Tin Soldiers, and their battle is equally tragic.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The song never did make sense to me. WHen I sang it at campt it seemed incredibly deep and the valley people were so foolish, but if peace was actually a treasure it wouldn't be written on a piece of paper and hidden.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

The valley people may have been foolish and greedy, but then again, they were the ones alive at the end of the song. Sends kind of a mixed message.

Obviously the mountain people weren't very good keepers of their treasure if the best they could think of to do with it was hide it under a rock and let people think it was tons of gold. How hard would it have been to send an envoy to the valley people and invite them up to visit, maybe practice their vaunted "Peace on Earth", instead of hiding it away.

Here's a lesson for the mountain people:

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!
Hide it under a bushel, NO! I'm gonna let it shine!
Let it shine!
Let it shine!
Let it shine!

vonk
Member # 9027

Maybe, instead of sharing, the Mountain People should have given the Valley People all of the treasure; it would have ended happier.

Basically, the mountain people should have stopped being so dern peaceful and started picking fights with each other. Then they can give all of the the peace to the valley people. Then the mountain people that like the peace can move to the valley and the valley people that like the fighting can go up to the mountain.

Basically, it's just relocation, but I think it would have saved a lot of bloodshed.

PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

And the thread derailing continues, even though the creator asked nicely for people to stop.

Sounds oddly familiar.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

Punjabee, you might take a lesson from the mountain people and try living in peace.

Besides, it's more fun to sing camp songs.

Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who. What's important here is that I've gained a daughter, in a very real, and legally binding way.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.