FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Depressing songs (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Depressing songs
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Whiskey Lullaby

Rose K by Rasputina

Hello?! Eleanor Rigby? or did I just miss that in this thread?

Lots of Depeche Mode or Placebo or Bright Eyes would qualify

That taxi song about the almost lovers who meet years later

That song from the mid nineties with the video of a car driving along a coast, I think it was about an abortion? I'm not sure. Something about "going back, to her apartment" or somesuch.

Hmmm, more later.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whiskey Lullaby
Oh man, yes.
quote:
That taxi song about the almost lovers who meet years later
You don't mean Same Old Lang Syne, do you?

Well, anyway, that one's sad too.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
John Frusciante - A Song to Sing When I'm Lonely

Pretty self-explanatory. Great song.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue

Red Hot Chili Peppers - My Friends

The opening line says it all. "My friends, I'm so depressed."

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Gold Dust, Tori Amos
I can't see new york, Tori Amos

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
'Echo' - Trapt

I find it depressing because it ... speaks to me. Others may not I suppose.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No, she means "Taxi," by Harry Chapin.

-o-

A lot of Bruce Springsteen's songs are wonderfully depressing. I'll nominate "The River," in particular. "Independence Day" gets depressing honorable mention.

Come to think of it, quite a few Harry Chapin songs are depressing as well. "W.O.L.D." and "Mr. Tanner" are both better examples, I think. And, of course, "Cat's Cradle."

The champion depressing song of all time is "Last Kiss," originally by Ricky Nelson. I can't decide if the Eddie Vedder version is better or worse. Runner up is "Leader of the Pack," by the Shangri-Las. Both of these are so maudlin they come right back on the other side and end up being pretty funny, in a black way.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
No, she means "Taxi," by Harry Chapin.

Ah. I don't think I know any of his songs except "Cat's in the Cradle." And given the lyrics I found, I'm not terribly surprised. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Nobody knows the touble I've seen...
Nobody knows but Jesus.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
He's really fantastic, actually.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on guys! You are missing out on the greatest collection of depressing songs ever - irish ballads! Famine songs! Exile songs! War songs (where the Irish never win)! Love songs in three categories: I love him, he knocked me up and left, I love him and he's in exile, I love him and he's dead.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
quote:

Nobody knows the touble I've seen...
Nobody knows but Jesus.

Of all the songs in this thread to start looping in my head, my stupid brain had to choose this one.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Goodbye My Lover by...that guy. Blunt? Jamie Blunt? James Blunt?

I saw him perform it on Ellen and it had me in tears by the end. His voice is what Rod Stewart probably sounded like in his 20s.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Narnia, I really do not like that song or think it's sad. Whenever I hear, I laugh... I dont know something about it drives me crazy.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.