FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How To Bathe A Cat (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How To Bathe A Cat
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
In order for my allergies to stay under control, I have to bathe my cat about once a month.

Her first bath with me was traumatic for both of us. She was about 6 years old when I got her and I don't know about her past bathing history. I tried to do it in the kitchen sink and well... the kitchen was a pond, I was soaked and scratched and she sulked under the bed for the next week.

The technique has improved since. The bathtub works much better and while she complains loudly, she submits to it and doesn't attack me anymore. She purrs during the towel-off, so it can't be all bad.

She gets to the point where she looks like she needs a bath... she gets really oily and greasy and just looks better after a bath.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well using a blow dryer to dry the cat seemed like a good idea that I had never tried. Cat REALLY did not like the blow dryer. Sure he will hold still while we bath him, but once that blow dryer came on claws came out and he tried to bolt. Weirdly enough it was not hard to restrain him as he did not bite or even make a sound, he just tried to get away. Still I could tell he was terrified of the blowdryer so I just put him in my lap and helped him dry himself the traditional way.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you wet brush correctly, you can get the kitty all wet without starting a fight, at which point it is relatively simple to persuade most felines that warm water is better than cold water.

But then, I've never had a problem controlling all the sharp bits on a cat with one hand. Maybe all my other methods rely on that one....

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Blackblade, maybe it would just be easier on everyone if you wash your hands once or twice a day. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...huh?

I think maybe you were referring to the situation Coccinelle described. If not, then I got nothin'.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I never have bathed my cats unless there was some extraordinary reason to. I found that even when their fur got gunked up with something unpleasant, scissors cutting it out works better than soap and water. They keep themselves perfectly clean. However, brushing to prevent hairballs is a good idea.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.