FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fast Food Etiquette Question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fast Food Etiquette Question
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a ton of benifits you miss out, because you are limiting what nutrients you are taking in. That could (and will, eventually) affect not just your overall health, but things like your hormonal balances, and that can affect everything from moods to specific health issues.

A lot of modern medical research is focusing on how hormones affect the rest of the body's systems, and we are finding out how little we really know about how things works.

Start taking a multivitiman right away of you can't force yourself to start eating veggies. [Smile]

It will help prevent a lot more than a cold or three. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a ton of benifits you miss out, because you are limiting what nutrients you are taking in. That could (and will, eventually) affect not just your overall health, but things like your hormonal balances, and that can affect everything from moods to specific health issues.

A lot of modern medical research is focusing on how hormones affect the rest of the body's systems, and we are finding out how little we really know about how things works.

Start taking a multivitiman right away of you can't force yourself to start eating veggies. [Smile]

It will help prevent a lot more than a cold or three. [Wink]

Linky!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dean:

And furthermore, when I ask how you are, I would like an acknowledgment. I mean, I'm obligated to ask, yes, but it's nice if you pretend like I'm a person.

I actually have the opposite problem at the pizza hut on campus. The cashier will ask how I am, I'll reply with something like "I'm good, how are you?" and I'll get a blank look until I tell them what I have in my hand. At this point I've pretty much stopped answering the question, and just say Hi and tell them my order.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
There is a difference between checking to see if you've got the right number of burritos and checking to see if they left the tomato off your hamburger or the nuts off your salad. It takes a lot longer to pull something out of the bag and unwrap it. If you need to check the latter, I think you should move out the way. Even if it's not rude to the cashier, it is rude to the person behind you that you're holding up.

Ah, see, here there are always three walk-up cash registers, and then extra counter space with room to put out at least four orders. So there's never a line to collect your food (drive-thrus get most of the traffic.)

Also, it takes me precisely 3 seconds to check if my burger has tomato-- since they usually write it on the wrapper and if they don't, it's a very visible item. I do it while counting items. Now, checking for mustard or pickles, if they don't write it on the wrapper, that's a little trickier.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And furthermore, when I ask how you are, I would like an acknowledgment. I mean, I'm obligated to ask, yes, but it's nice if you pretend like I'm a person.
Ick. It's one of my pet peeves to be falsely asked how I'm doing today.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that you have to reply with how you are, but a returned-greeting like a simple "Hi" would be nice. And, unfortunately, I get written up if I don't ask every customer how they're doing. If I simply say, "Hi! What can I get for you," I'm still in trouble.

And I am not at all stymied if someone does answer with, "I'm fine. How're you?"

I simply say, "I'm fine too. What can I get for you today?" And all my coworkers are the same.

My boss, Kat, sometimes likes to reply like this:

"Hi, how are you doing today?"

"A six-inch turkey on wheat with double American cheese."

"Well, that's a funny way to be feeling. Now what can I get for you?"

But my Subway is populated by smart under-achievers.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
My standard reply to "Hi, how are you doing today?" is "Fine, thanks. Hope you are." It seems to break the cycle of obligation to answer the question of how this person I do not know is doing, which is probably not much of my business in the first place. And, to me, it feels less rude - no, rude is not the right word - less abrupt than saying simply "Fine, thanks." Although, I do reply that way on occasion.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by arevoj:
My standard reply to "Hi, how are you doing today?" is "Fine, thanks. Hope you are." It seems to break the cycle of obligation to answer the question of how this person I do not know is doing, which is probably not much of my business in the first place. And, to me, it feels less rude - no, rude is not the right word - less abrupt than saying simply "Fine, thanks." Although, I do reply that way on occasion.

As a missionary every once in a while I would get the following,

"Hi how are you doing today?"

"Fine until you showed up."

My response was usually something like,

"Do I really smell that bad?"
or
"I can't help how I look, its my DNA."

Even the most simplistic of humor cracked up Taiwanese people and so it was relatively easy to break the ice with just about anybody.

I always wanted to respond with,

"Well I can think of a way to make us both happy."

and then just walk away. But I felt like that would have been overtly rude.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ick. It's one of my pet peeves to be falsely asked how I'm doing today.
I have to answer the "how are you?" question about 30 times when I go to work. All the servers ask me, then the cooks, to which I have to answer in three different languages, and usually I've only just woken up about 20 minutes ago. I know they honestly are asking the question because we're all friends and everything, and they'd actually want to hear a story if I had one about how crappy my day is going, but I DESPISE having to answer the question so flingin flangin many times!

Even worse is when you are walking towards someone who is walking by you and they say "hey how are you?" before you can, and you don't have a chance to answer and ask them back because you've already moved beyond each other. Then you look like a jerk for not reciprocating.

Niceties aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have started another topic.

I think most people say it out of habit. Rarely are people (from what I see) really interested.

dean,
You have a particularly interesting workplace for a food establishment. Usually I get a, "Welcome to So-and-so. Can I take your order."

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a cashier at a grocery store I always thought it was funny when I would ask them how they are and they'd respond with something like "Oh! well I'm sooo glad you asked...First of all..." and then they proceed to treat me as their psychologist and tell me their life problems. [Big Grin] I enjoyed it though, it made my shift a little funnier.

I even had a conversation with a customer once where he asked me if I really wanted to know how he is doing and about how all of his European friends always tell him that we (I assumed by "we" he meant people that live in America) ask that question so dishonestly. [Big Grin] It was an amusing conversation. I enjoyed strange customers. Alot of my coworkers didn't, but when I have nothing else to think about it's always fun to have conversations with random people. I still remember alot of the customers that I had funny conversations with.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

It is a kind of funny work environment. It helps that the franchise is so small-- only four stores-- and that the owner is a very cool guy. His daughter works in my store, and she's an indie-music person with a zillion piercings and a great sense of style. My boss's boss, with whom I've been working a lot lately because we've been so short-staffed, likes employees to talk back to him just as long as they always do their work. I make fun of the fact that he's color blind and he tells me that he ought to fire me and hire rats and roaches because they'd do a better job. And we have at least one regular who, when he comes in, we tell him to go away because we hate him. And then he accuses us of being racist jerks and threatens to sue us all. So, yes, we do have a really good time. However, that doesn't change the fact that we can't really joke around and be silly with the average customer, and we do have rules like having to ask everyone how they are.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

I generally amuse myself by telling customers what I think that they'll order and seeing if I'm right or not.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
rivka, I'm not so sure it is a lousy diet choice. I mean, my weight is good, my cholesterol and blood pressure are low, I have a full head of hair and a mouth full of teeth, and I'm rarely sick (and have never been seriously ill). I mean, sure, I could do better, but who couldn't?

I do eat fruit, though. I love bananas, apples, and oranges.

Darlin', denial ain't just a river in Egypt. Fruit helps -- quite a bit -- and so will a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement (brands don't matter much, advertisements to the contrary). But colon cancer is only one of a number of cancers that has been linked to inadequate veggie consumption. Not to mention the problems caused by vitamin and mineral deficiencies (a supplement will help with most of those).

I guesstimated the answers to the questions, but this gives you some idea of what you should be eating.
quote:
Compared to people who eat only small amounts of fruits and vegetables, those who eat more generous amounts—as part of a healthy diet—are likely to have reduced risk of chronic diseases. These diseases include stroke, type 2 diabetes, some types of cancer, and perhaps heart disease.
Right now you are young, otherwise eat ok, and get exercise. So I believe you're not feeling the effects. But by the time you're 50-60 (assuming your diet doesn't improve noticeably before then), I'm betting you will.

Then again, I will probably develop type II diabetes by the time I'm that age, so . . . [Dont Know]
quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
That's a grain, not a vegetable.

. . .

That's a fruit.

. . .

Also a fruit.

Botanically, you are correct. Nutritionally, you are wrong. Corn cooked on the cob or nibblet-style has vitamin C, fiber, and a little iron. Nutritionally, it is classed as a vegetable. (Dried or turned into flour it loses its vitamin C, and the milling process removes most of the fiber. At that point, it's good mostly as a source of carbs (and still has that iron), and is classified as a cereal grain.)

Tomatoes, squash, etc. are certainly botanically fruits (i.e., ripened fertilized plant ovaries). But nutritionally the distinction is more commonly based on sugar content and vitamin/mineral levels. Nutritionally, they're veggies. And rhubarb, which is botanically certainly NOT a fruit, nutritionally is.
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
I think we have started another topic.

Welcome to Hatrack, where thread drift is an art.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
quote:
Originally posted by dean:

I actually have the opposite problem at the pizza hut on campus. The cashier will ask how I am, I'll reply with something like "I'm good, how are you?" and I'll get a blank look until I tell them what I have in my hand. At this point I've pretty much stopped answering the question, and just say Hi and tell them my order.
See, I lack the gene that has me add, "You?" to the end of my response to that sort of question...which always leads to an awkward silence (especially if it's a business-related phone call). I realize that out of politeness I should say, "I'm good, you?" or something along those lines, except that whenever I'm in that situation, it just doesn't occur to me to say that.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It's not genetic; it's a learned behavior. If it bothers you (or those you interact with), I'm sure you can learn it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
We always, always check. Inside I step aside and check at the counter, in the drive-in I open the bag enough to check the number of items.

The local fast food places can be depended upon to screw up an order every other time or so, and once we get home we don't want to go back. We always check.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

(I'm perfectly aware that it's not actually genetic. [Wink] )

I really don't see the point in learning it because I think an extremely cookie-cutter approach to being courteous and interacting with people is generally a bad idea. When it comes to clients and customers, I usually convince them that I care about them as people pretty quickly. I just wish they wouldn't ask!

In a social setting, it's also not in my nature to go out of my way to ask people questions about themselves up front; I feel like I'm interrogating them. So instead, I wait to see what kind of information the person offers. From there, it seems a lot more appropriate to ask subject-related questions. Unfortunately, I can come off as really self-absorbed. In actuality, I just want people to offer up information. Oh man, the most awkward question anyone could ever ask in a dating situation: "So, is there anything you want to know about me?" ....*stare* Is this a job interview now?

Oh, it's also awkward when you're at work and in the middle of doing something, and someone starts talking to you. Do you stop what you're doing? If you don't look at them, they think you aren't paying attention, but you're keeping people waiting by not finishing what you're up to. [Confused]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The most convincing argument I've heard so far for needing to eat more vegetables is that it will significantly decrease my risk of colon cancer.
And that's no small thing - trust me, you want to avoid colon cancer if you can.

Then again, I love vegetables and eat green leafy ones now, also did so as a kid growing up so there's never been a time in my life when I didn't eat veggies. Didn't prevent said cancer, though. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Steamed broccoli makes a delicious snack.

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

Very true. It's pretty good raw too.
pH
Member # 1350

But raw, you can't coat it in parmasean cheese that easily!

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

No, but it works well plain. Or with just a dab of ranch dressing.
pH
Member # 1350

Parmasean and black pepper. Better than French fries!

-pH

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Trees and Snow
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right now you are young, otherwise eat ok, and get exercise. So I believe you're not feeling the effects. But by the time you're 50-60 (assuming your diet doesn't improve noticeably before then), I'm betting you will.
I expect diabetes to be cured or easily treatable by then. Same with most cancers, but I'm less sure about that happening. As for strokes and heart disease, if I minimize my other risk factors (which are considerably lower than most people's, at least for now) I feel pretty good about my chances there, too.

I'm sure things will be different when I have a family to support -- for one thing I'll take out a big life insurance policy.

Anyway, I bought a multivitamin at the grocery store yesterday (been meaning to for months).
quote:
Didn't prevent said cancer, though.
Exactly. It's more about genetics than anything else, I'm afraid. You can do everything right and still get cancer, and you can do everything wrong and live until 90. Not that I'm advocating that. I'm just sayin.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It drives me insane when people ask how I am as a greeting. I always answer "Good, how are you?" and then the person gives me a weird look and is like, "Fine," with the 'you're a creep with no social skills' coming through really clearly. Which probably doesn't sound like that big a deal, but I'm horribly shy, and usually working up the courage to say anything at all is the best I can do. So then I spend the next hour or so depressed because I don't have any social skills.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember back to my first job (Wendy's). There was a regular who came by. When you asked her how she was, she would say, "Great, I can curse in seven different languages."
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Anyway, I bought a multivitamin at the grocery store yesterday (been meaning to for months).

Good. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can do everything right and still get cancer, and you can do everything wrong and live until 90. Not that I'm advocating that. I'm just sayin.

Yep. It's a matter of putting the odds more in your favor or less, though. The extent depends on the question at hand. For some medical things, that's a lot.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Broccoli is one of the most delicious things in the world. I love it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Agreed. [Smile]

Asparagus is yummier, though. And we're having some tonight.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Spinach served Chinese style is the best vegetable of the green variety.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.