FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is the Player Versus Player Enviroment in WoW as bad as my friend says it is? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is the Player Versus Player Enviroment in WoW as bad as my friend says it is?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
To address the original question: it really depends on what server you're playing on. On the really old, really crowded PvP servers, ganking can be a huge issue in the popular zones purely because there are so many people running around. On other servers, though, ganking is fairly minimal (except in the one or two obviously PvP heavy zones, e.g. hillsbrad). This is easy to avoid by picking places to grind where you don't have to worry about as many people.

It's also usually not a big deal because these days, most people are concerned with leveling as quickly as possible, and world PvP just doesn't provide sufficient rewards to be worth most people's time. The biggest problem are 70 gankers wandering lowbie contested zones, but there are usually 70s from both sides there, and a quick shout in Local Defense will bring your own side's goons into the fray.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't stand being ganked, don't play on a PvP server. If you want some world PvP, and ganking is just annoying, join a good PvP oriented guild, and get at least 2 different characters, either on the same server, or on different servers. That way, if you're attacked and can't fight back, you can ask your guild for help, or you can play another character for a while.

Besides, without a good guild, you will miss out on 1/3 of the content, as you'll have a very difficult time doing many of the dungeons.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
general advice to make playing on a PVP server more bearable:

1) Be willing to relocate if someone is being a problem.
2) Be willing to switch to another character for a while until the bully goes away.
3) Get lots of friends and come back to counter-gank him
4) Get one character to high level and log him out near where your lowbie is levelling. When that lvl 60 guy who never bought the expansion starts getting schooled by your lvl 70 alt he'll probably leave you alone shortly.
5) Understand that if someone has been friendly for 1 hr it doesn't mean that they will be forever. perhaps they were just feeling very peaceful this time and won't be next time. perhaps they'll forget your name and think you are a trouble maker next time. perhaps their bloodthirsty guild-mate will show up and they'll feel honor-bound to help him out.
6) in general if you leave people alone and don't attack them or steal their mobs/quest items then they'll leave you alone.

in general: you will run into complete jerks at least occasionally, and sometimes more often. other times you'll run into "enemies" who actually are quite civil, may help you out etc.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Also... play Horde.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
horde is better, but I find that alliance tends to have more of the immature @$$holes that tend to be a problem (but maybe that was just my server)
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

No, that's true on the server I'm on too (Gurubashi).
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this is the first time I've heard the term "gank"... At least in this context anyway...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, neither faction has more prick gankers than the other. That being said, one of my favorite things about WoW was getting up to level 60 (I quit before the expansion) and doing some serious lowbie ganking. I know a lot of people harshly criticize lowbie gankers, but on a pvp server you really have to expect that you're going to get ganked mercilessly while you're leveling. If you don't like being ganked, ganking, or gankers in general, play on a normal or RP server.

Also, one of the coolest things about ganking is that it can lead to epic pvp battles on world maps. I gank a lowbie mercilessly, he calls his buddies, who come in force with greater numbers and kill me, whereupon I call in reinforcements, etc. Good times to be had by all.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've played horde and alliance pretty far in, and ultimately, I think the level of maturity you get is pretty much equal on both sides. [Big Grin]

I play on a "normal" server for the most part and enjoy it immensely. You can avoid PvP if you're not interested in it (which I'm not) and battleground or arena if you are. Best of both worlds!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

"Also, one of the coolest things about ganking is that it can lead to epic pvp battles on world maps. I gank a lowbie mercilessly, he calls his buddies, who come in force with greater numbers and kill me, whereupon I call in reinforcements, etc. Good times to be had by all."

Yeah, I like this, too. [Big Grin]

Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've really enjoyed pvp servers. Being camped by level 70s who have nothing better to do is very, very annoying. When it does happen, my advice is to walk away from the computer, make a sandwich, watch an episode of something on TV and then come back to it. After about twenty minutes whoever is camping you will get bored and move on.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne,

OK, look, at some point you're just going to have to embrace the idea that a certain posting style, a certain style of communication, is going to draw negative responses.

You can either decide to change your style and thus head off the negative response, or you can stick with the same style and drawing the negative responses, and then b@#%^ing about the responses.

I know which would cause me less frustration and take less effort.

----------------------

quote:
I asketh of those more experienced in World of Warcraft is the ganking of newbies that bad and how so?
First of all, let me just say I recommend you not play World of Warcraft, unless you're going to do so in a social setting. It's just an impression to me, but I get the feeling that you're the sort who would get sucked into a computer game. Call it empathy, because I have that tendancy too. There are many better things you could be doing with your time.

Or, if you're going to play...do what I did. Go to a gaming shop, and play with a bunch of people in the same room. I've played MMORPGs both ways, and the second is a lot more fun. Like, enormously more fun-both in terms of the playing experience, and in the social benefits you get just by having friends you can actually see.

-----------------
Thus ends the unsolicited advice portion of my post to you.
-----------------
I played WoW for...hmm, somewhere between a year and a half and two years, I believe? I don't remember exactly. I don't play anymore, but I had two L60 characters on both Horde and Alliance, both in PvP servers, and a few 30+ on the same servers. Really, if the game hadn't had PvP, and especially PvP servers, I probably wouldn't have played nearly as long. It was a lot of fun for me, and I ended up delaying my leveling in the game for quite awhile because I would specifically go hunting-not attacking grays, though. Always competitive(if sometimes unfair) fights. At least half of my playtime was spent focusing on finding PvP situations, and this was BEFORE Battlegrounds.

To answer your question about how often a newbie will be ganked...there are quite a few variables involved. Which faction are you playing for? What zones are you playing in? What server are you on? What times do you play? No matter how good the circumstances to these questions are, though, you can expect to be ganked and have your play interrupted when you're in a PvP territory at least once every two hours, just as an estimate.

Depending on where you play, it could be a lot, lot worse. For instance, stay the hell out of the Hillsbrad Foothills if you're Horde.

Grouping more often will be very helpful. Pulling back the camera view will do nicely too. Put your back to solid objects whenever you can. Make a habit of scrolling the view around to look in all directions. If you see an enemy, keep an eye on them.

If you see someone who is much higher level than you, it would pay to wave to them or possibly to bow, but most especially don't antagonize. If you see an enemy who is gray to you, don't attack them. It's pretty rude, pretty pointless (killing grays is easy), and that kind of thing establishes a reputation which can easily bite you in the ass. It's very easy for a gray to drop a dime on you, if you know what I mean.

A rule of thumb is in order if you want to play on a PvP server, Blayne: if you're not willing to risk having your playtime interrupted or even totally ruined every now and then by unexpected and unfair PvP combat, you shouldn't play on a PvP server. Especially since you're literally paying for it, both in time and in money. If you find that's happening to you, suck it up and fight back if possible, or just leave the area and advance elsewhere. At all stages of the game, even at higher levels, there is always at least one other place you can go to play.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

I would also add that blood elves (horde) (particularly paladins) and draenei (alliance) (particularly shamans) SEEM to get ganked more often. At least it feels that way to me. This may be dying down now. At first it was a little ridiculous.

Rakeesh's rule of thumb is dead on -- his whole last paragraph. And yeah, waving does help; I'd estimate it will lower your chance of being attacked by fellow questers/grinders by about 30-40 percent. It lets them know your intention is to quest/grind.

It's etiquette.

(P.S. I don't post a ton, but I do notice things, and I HAVE noticed that you (Blayne) have modified your posting style considerably since you started here, in response to requests by other forum members, and I appreciate it; I also find a lot of your subjects interesting and fun - like this one [Smile] )

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, I played Horde and wished I could have ganked blood elf paladins. [Evil]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

My wife rolled a BE paladin and got her to 45. Then she just promptly stop playing her for reasons even she can't state. [Dont Know]

In other news I am a beast master hunter right now and I take joy in whittling down a pally's health and popping intimidation just before they will likely bubble and clearing the last 1/4th of their health within those last 3 seconds.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

quote:

[Big Grin]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lvl 17 BE pally. My hubby keeps asking me to play her because she's hot.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I have a lvl 17 BE pally. My hubby keeps asking me to play her because she's hot.

Naw, just a higher polygon count then the other races, I think Drenae have a higher count as well.

Speaking of Pixiest, I'm still guildless ever since my last guild sold me out, interested in adventuring more on Venture Co?

Actually the invitation extends to any hatracker.

[ June 29, 2007, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

I confess I have a 30-something BE pally, too. And she IS hot. Not sure what it is about her :-).
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I'm curious what the gank-factor is for different class/race combos.

I'd say leading the list would have to be Blood Elf Pallies and Night Elf Hunters. Leading the list of those *doing* the ganking would have to be Night Elf Rogues and Undead Rogues.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I'm curious what the gank-factor is for different class/race combos.

I'd say leading the list would have to be Blood Elf Pallies and Night Elf Hunters. Leading the list of those *doing* the ganking would have to be Night Elf Rogues and Undead Rogues.

Then you are clearly talking about ATTEMPTED gankings, not successful ones.

Any NE hunter worth his salt has no problem shacking off a rogue who sneaks up on him, assuming he is not already close to death.

Although the scales of balance have shifted alot what with the rogue crying and giving them several anti hunter abilities.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade: I just went back to my old guild after leaving to go to a guild that progressed faster... After some drama I realized that there's no place like home.

Anyway, after a month away I have to do some re-bonding with them.

Are you 70 on Venture Company? Cuz I think my chars there are low 20s...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I'm not talking about fair matchups, BlackBlade. I'm talking about true ganking, i.e. lvl 60 vs. lvl 20 or somesuch.

I'd say BE Pallies and NE Hunters get more than their fair share. Thinking about it, I bet Undead rogues get more than their fair share, too.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I can tell you that a Forsaken engineering rogue gets ganked less than a human blacksmithing Paladin, that's for sure [Wink] Although *attempts* to gank were higher...

I would cross a busy street when I was running late to bag a Paladin (again, not if they were gray). They were usually quite fun. Forcing them to burn through their get-out-of-jail-free spells was great, and when they got high enough level to force them to bubble-hearth? Awesomeness.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

This is true. In PvP environments, my most satisfying kills were always:

1. NE Rogue
2. Human Pally
3. NE Hunter

Playing with a pally, though, is like a cat playing with a mouse. It's great fun until it stops moving - then it's just dead.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I love being a human pally on a pve server. People try to taunt me into dueling or pvping. I wave and continue on my merry way. Not interested, but thanks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
BB which server you on and what lvl's maybe we can start new chars.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You can be BB buddies!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Man, you guys make me want to play again, and I refused to do that. =( I still have my sixty...seven? eight? orc hunter on Venture Co.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

cmon itll be a blast you know you wanna play, start a new character well do quests, i dont like grinding.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Blayne: Make a character named LittleNikki. Erosomaniac won't be able to resist when he sees LittleNikki grind.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Stay strong, erosomniac! You can do it, I did!
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Blayne: Make a character named LittleNikki. Erosomaniac won't be able to resist when he sees LittleNikki grind.

[sidetrack] When I first heard this song (the Foo Fighters one, not the Prince one)I thought they were saying "cry" instead of "grind". For the life of me I couldn't figure out what that song was about. [/sidetrack]
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*kills Rakeesh*

Don't listen to dead people, they give bad advice. Listen to me, play wow again, play it... play it....

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'm going to try and work on my warlock who is on Venture Co, he is either 19 or 29 I am pretty sure its the former.

It might be nice to just play for the sake of the game again, instead of worrying about raiding.

Maybe I'll transfer my 45 BE Pally to Venture Co. I'm not too sure.

Sharpie
Member # 482

I'm still interested in playing with hatrack folks, and I'm sure John would be, too. Maybe I'll make a new character over there today...

There's still a guild of sorts?

erosomniac
Member # 6834

There's a guild (Dragon Army), but none of the officers still play, so you should probably make another one. [Smile]
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I managed to stop WoW last month (after I got my hunter to 70 and got really bored with the faction grinding) and I think I'm over it.

I'm really looking forward to Warhammer online. I think City of Heroes will keep me entertained until that comes along.

Maybe I'll start playing again for another couple months when the next expansion comes out.

[ June 30, 2007, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: MightyCow ]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
There's a guild (Dragon Army), but none of the officers still play, so you should probably make another one. [Smile]

I checked the armory, and it doesn't list a dragon army guild for venture co, soooo I guess it would have to be rebuilt anyway. It may have been deleted or is not being shown because of inactivity. (I'm not sure how the armory works those things.)
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates of the Burning Sea has a high probability of sucking me back into the genre.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

The Pirates looks cool. I'm signing up for Beta! Between that and Warhammer, I hope I'll be in some sort of new Beta soon.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.