FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are your thoughts on various lyricists? Lovers of any genre of music wanted. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your thoughts on various lyricists? Lovers of any genre of music wanted.
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
Conor Oberst of "Bright Eyes"

He doesn't sing particularly well most of the time, in my opinion, though he definitely has the ability to.
But I find his songwriting to be superb. I don't know, the fact that he's written about 10 albums worth of poetry, without ever really striving to stick to one particular genre, makes him one of my top artists. I know a lot of people who can't stand the sound of him when a song starts; but I think there's genius in his words whether you like his voice or not.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add Tom Waits to my list. The vocals really help carry the lyrics, but they can be phenominal on their own.

Also, Ween. Maybe their songs seem nonsensical a lot of the time, but Buenas Tardes Amigo and Mutilated Lips, to name a few, are awesome.

*sings* "Mutilated lips give a kiss on the wrist of the worm-like tips of tentacles expanding in my mind. I'm fine, accepting only fresh brine. You can get another drop of this, yeah you wish."

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
GD: I can't actually follow the link you provided, because at my workplace I can't watch YouTube. Am I right in guessing that it links to Weird Al's video?
Anyhoo.. I am a Nirvana fan, but that doesn't mean I'm totally deaf to any criticism about Cobain's skills/talent. For me the songs just work, I can't tell you why. (Well, actually I could but then this post would likely trail on into infinty [Big Grin] ) If you really want to know something about Nirvana's lyrics, I propose you read the book on the subject. It was written by a guy named Chuck Chrisafulli and has some pretty decent explanations on even the vaguest of lyrics.

Besides Cobain, I'd like to give kudos to Ian Anderson (especially for such songs as "My God" and "Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day") and Daniel Johns ("Cemetery", "Ana's Song" and "Thinking In Reverse" are amongst my favourites).

Furthermore I'd like to second the following: Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Carole King and yes even the Offspring ("When will the world listen to reason... when will the truth come into season I have a feeling it'll be a long time")

I can't really tell you why I like certain lyrics and/or lyricists, but the following statement comes pretty close. Some songs just agree with me, and far more often than not I find that I agree with the songs as well. I like lyrics that aren't immediately clear in their meaning. Musing on the possible interpretations of words is a favourite pastime of mine (this doesn't apply only to song lyrics). In agreement with Steve I do have to add that it isn't necessary for the lyrics to have some deep underlying theme going on. (I also like Weird Al, and one of my favourite songs "Frutch" by the Incredible String Band is a non-sensical song if ever there was one.)

-Estelmo

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure which members do the writing, but I can't pass up mentioning Jurassic 5.

Every time I listen to Remember His Name I'm just amazed. (Slight language warning)

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Ihave to come in late and say
RICKY LEE JONES!!!

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to come in late and say
RICKY LEE JONES!!!

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
The first person I thought of was Bono from U2. I was suprised he hasn't been listed so far. I know he can get preachey sometimes, and his themes may be to religous for some but he still has some of the best lyrics in the last 20 years.

Still haven't found what I'm looking for Is almost a hymn.

Running to stand still -- about someone dealing with addiction

Wild Horses -- Has some great lines.
  • Heaven’s white rose
    The doors you open
    I just can't close

The Fly -- written from the point of view of someone on a pay phone in hell.
  • Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief

Trying to throw your arms around the world -- Written from the point of view of Judas

Sometimes you can't make it on your own -- about his relationship with his father, written after he died. (they didn't get along most of the time)
  • Can you hear me when I sing...
    You're the reason I sing
    You're the reason why the opera is in me

A Man and a Woman - about the love for his wife, whom he has been faithful to since before he was famous.

• But I could never take a chance
    Of losing love to find romance
    In the mysterious distance
    Between a man and a woman

Bono has written lots of great songs over the years you just have to dig into them a little. I think his greatest talent is to write lyrics that are specifically vague. Meaning he generally writes about things that are going one with him, a very specific situation, but he writes them in a way that is vague enough to apply to lots of people's own situations. The listener may have completely different meaning in mind than what Bono was going through, but somehow the emotions express still apply.

There are lots of other great lyricist, like some of the ones already on the list but since no one had discussed Bono I went into detail...

By the way Cobain wasn't a very good lyricist. Good performer, yes, but not lyricist. If he hadn’t committed suicide we would talk about him nearly as much and Nirvana wouldn’t be nearly as popular with the critics today. Sorry to the fans.

Look, I gotta go, yeah I'm running outta change

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:
If you really want to know something about Nirvana's lyrics, I propose you read the book on the subject. It was written by a guy named Chuck Chrisafulli and has some pretty decent explanations on even the vaguest of lyrics.

I love poetry and music that makes me think, but I firmly believe that if you have to go to a source outside of the original material just to understand what the song is about, then it’s a bad song (the only exceptions being when a dictionary is required and when writers use allusions the reader is not familiar with). In order for communication (and that’s what art is to me, at its core) to be good, the audience should be able to understand the message just based on the message, even if it takes hours of thought.

I’m completely comfortable with music for the sake of music, and I know that there isn’t always a message beyond trying to evoke an emotion.

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
First, I just want to say I hate Kurt Cobain as much as I can hate someone I've never met [Big Grin] . I think his music is complete crap and he has basically no talent as a guitarist or a lyricist. ... And I hate what he represented and his influence on his generation. I blame emo crap on him.

You shouldn’t blame emo crap on him, it’s been around for a long time. Follow the link to see the role-model responsible for American youth today and all that Emo crap. The parallels are astounding. Deathly thin, pale white complexion, suffered from depression, he even cut himself, and had frequent dreams about his own death and went so far as to threaten suicide at various points in his life. I almost forgot to mention that he loved to wear black. If you're going to blame anyone, it should be him.

Plus, Rush played a role in emo music as well. 2112 is about a misunderstood artist in an oppressive society who dreams of men from outer-space liberating the world and then he commits suicide. It's hard to get more emo than that (and yes, a lot of emo music is sci-fi inspired).

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[/qb][/QUOTE]You shouldn’t blame emo crap on him, it’s been around for a long time. Follow the link to see the [Laugh] role-model responsible for American youth today and all that Emo crap. The parallels are astounding. Deathly thin, pale white complexion, suffered from depression, he even cut himself, and had frequent dreams about his own death and went so far as to threaten suicide at various points in his life. I almost forgot to mention that he loved to wear black. If you're going to blame anyone, it should be him.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

I rather like Nirvana. Without them I would have kept hating rock and roll, thinking that it's all men singing about how much sex they want to have with every woman.
Kurt Cobain had this tongue in cheek sarcasm I liked.
But I wonder if Eddie Vedder in some ways overtakes him. Perhaps not enough, since he kept singing songs about how much he hated being famous when Dir en grey probably would love the sort of respect Pearl Jam probably got in the past. Kaoru says many folks in Japan HATE Dir en grey which is quite depressing considering how good they are at what they do.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
DD: I can basically agree with you about the need for outside sources being proof that the song in question isn't very good. I'm not saying that I didn't understand what the songs were about until I read the book, but it did help me see through some of the more vague lyrics. I would never have guessed that the lyrics to "Polly" described actual events, if I hadn't read about it.
Let's just say that (for me) this was a major help in knowing how to see beyond the literal meaning of words and investigating every possible meaning until you find the idea that ties it all together - most of the time after hours of thought.

-E

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DevilDreamt:
You shouldn’t blame emo crap on him, it’s been around for a long time. Follow the link to see the role-model responsible for American youth today and all that Emo crap. The parallels are astounding. Deathly thin, pale white complexion, suffered from depression, he even cut himself, and had frequent dreams about his own death and went so far as to threaten suicide at various points in his life. I almost forgot to mention that he loved to wear black. If you're going to blame anyone, it should be him.

I go back further to Percy Bysshe Shelley.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Roll Eyes] Ok, to be specific, Cobain is responsible for the current wave of emo. IMO.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna have to give my input:

Davey Havok of AFI and Blaqk Audio fame.

He sings from the heart, and has INCREDIBLE range, but that's not why i like him. I like it because when he writes, he writes things that are important to him, based on situations he's been in, but in a way that can be interpreted literally thousands of ways, so each fan can take what they need from it. He's not afraid to approach taboo subjects, especially things like suicide. The AFI fan club, the Despair Faction, is HUGE. But even while we connect over the music, we connect over things that are completely unrelated. Since everyone takes something different from the words, everyone is different- we're not carbon copies of each other, like some fan bases are. And it's an incredible feeling, having a family like that.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was listening to some Hank Williams and thinking about how incredible some of his lyrics are in that they're so evocative of a certain mood. I had to dig up this thread 'cause I never mentioned him in it.

Sorry for the resurrection. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the thread the first time arround. Now I scanned it for Cole Porter. I knew he had to be here. Synesthesia finally came through. They don't write lyrics like this any more!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with much of the thread, but I don't know if there is any real scale by which I judge a lyricist. I just know what I like.

Two overlooked, and perhaps a bit more obscure additions:

Tom Verlaine
Patti Smith (Well, Patti's not so obscure as all that...)

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And how has nobody mentioned Elton John
Because Elton John isn't a lyricist. Now Bernie Taupin, on the other hand...

Peter Gabriel
Woody Guthrie
Ian Anderson
W.S. Gilbert
James Taylor
Christine Lavin
Phil Collins
Stephen Schwartz
Alanis Morrisette

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Gary Jules, all of "Trading Wolfskin for Snakeoil"
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall there's a two line limit for quoting lyrics here, so.

Bruce Cockburn

quote:

Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight --
Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight

Dar Williams

quote:

She says you've known her deepest fears
'Cause she showed you a box of stained-glass tears

Thea Gilmore

quote:

And now I'll learn your body like a nursery rhyme in braille

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to listen to Glenn's CD collection.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy who sings for Eve 6 writes some great lyrics. They're usually just pop songs about girls, but the phrasing is very clever.

Jim-Me mentioned Maynard Keenan last year -- Maynard doesn't write the lyrics for A Perfect Circle, Billy Howerdel does. Or rather, did. Howerdel's now gone on to form his own band, Ashes Divide, where he sings his own lyrics. I think he's a good lyricist.

I also think Maynard is a pretty good lyricsist. There's some random weirdness in some Tool songs, but others (e.g. 10,000 Days) have great lyrics. About his mother dying:

Fetch me the Spirit, the Son and the Father,
Tell them their pillar of faith is ascending.

Whoever writes the lyrics for Novillero songs is good, too, in a totally different way:

And I just sit here minding my morally deficient business
Watching the world pass nonchalantly by

That's, like, my life anthem. [Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Merritt.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.