FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are your thoughts on various lyricists? Lovers of any genre of music wanted. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your thoughts on various lyricists? Lovers of any genre of music wanted.
Presences
Member # 8492

- posted      Profile for Presences           Edit/Delete Post 
What are your thoughts on various lyricists? Lovers of any genre of music wanted.

Favorite?
Hate?
Song is horrible, but lyrics are amazing?
The lyricists we hate, but know are geniuses with words?
Music (verses, chorus, beat) that sounds incredible, but lack good lyrics?
Favorite currently popular(top 40) lyrics?
Any lyricists you feel will become or are already legends?
Favorite themes of lyricists?

Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like that song "Hey There Delilah" by the Plain White Tees, but back in my day, we considered it cheating to rhyme a word with the same word.

We'll have it good (pronounced gooooooood)
My word is good

I'd write it all (aaaaaaaaaall)
We'd have it all

etc.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
James McMurtry

Not for everyone because it's pretty much good ol' country music, but his lyrics are spectacular. Some funny, some depressing, some reminiscent, almost all of them significant.

(It's not surprising he's good at lyrics, his father is Larry McMurtry of Lonesome Dove fame.)

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Andrew Schwab
2. Chris Cornell
3. Kurt Cobain
4. Layne Staley
5. Jerry Cantrell
6. Dallas Taylor
7. Dave Grohl
8. Freddie Mercury
9. Matthew Thiessen
10. Zack de La Rocha
11. John Cooper
12. Pete Townshend
13. Max Cavalera
14. Brian Wilson
15. Tim Rice

My top 15 lyricists. In no particular order.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt Cobain said in several different interviews that his lyrics were basically nonsense, and he generally just filled them in once everything else was done.

I see no reason to disagree with him on that point.
quote:
I kind of like that song "Hey There Delilah" by the Plain White Tees, but back in my day, we considered it cheating to rhyme a word with the same word.
It's not cheating. But it's not rhyming, either.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't add any lyricists that are favorites of mine because I have too many. I don't have time right now to list them, rank them, and then critique them.

But I do have a ton of favorites.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Kurt Cobain said in several different interviews that his lyrics were basically nonsense, and he generally just filled them in once everything else was done.

That doesn't mean they can't be good. Some of the nonsense was clever. Some of the best songs are basically a bunch of gibberish.

In example, "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen serves absolutely no purpose. But it was a good song with some good vocals, good music, and intriguing production to back it all up.

I don't judge lyrics on whether or not they actually say something important. Because that would eliminate a big portion of lyricists.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Dylan, and I think that should be obvious.

Blackalicious, that man can rhyme anything, incredibly quickly, with political/cultural poigniancy, and on a whim to boot.

G. Love, just 'cause his songs make me happy.

Lyrics I hate right now: my girlfriend really likes Kelly Clarkson (*groan*) and listens to that "Because of You" song. It's all about 'because of you I'm all depressed' and 'because of you I'm lonely' and 'because of you I can't meet a man anymore.' I usually end up screaming "take some responsibility for your actions!" by the end of it.

ETA: and Paul Simon. But only when he's with Art.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
But if this thread is about lyrics, that completely ignores how the words are performed. Who cares how clever they mixed them in the music, that's a singing virtue not a writing one.

I don't really care to get in a fight with anyone about how I disklike somebody they adore. Kurt Cobain is not one of my favorite lyricists but I've found that much of the music I listen to, I listen because I love the musicianship and the singer. Occasionally I'll stop to listen to lyrics, but it takes a passenger seat to music IMO.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What artists say and what they actually do are often two very different things*. I have no idea if such is the case with Kurt Cobain, but I'd need to see some actual textual analysis before completely dismissing his lyrics, especially as they seem to be valued by many critics and fans.

I don't own any of Nirvana's work so I can't really comment directly on Cobain as lyricist. I do remember watching their MTV Unplugged performance several times after he killed himself and thinking that there was something there -- had a glimmer of understanding of why they became so popular.

*And this notion of just tossing out lyrics seems to be quite the popular meme among rock stars. There seems to be an aversion to giving off a whiff of having put in some effort.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't listen to songs with horrible lyrics, so can't help you there. I think my 5 favorite listens for lyrics are

The Beatles (duh)/Paul McCartney's solo stuff
Kate Wolf
Stan Rogers
Iris deMent
Paul Simon

I like Bob Dylan's lyrics sometimes (some of them just give me a headache)-- when they're sung by someone else. I cannot stand listening to him, ever. He makes me want to shoot something. His guitar is listenable but his harmonica and voice drive me UP THE WALL.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Heart Shaped Box had some pretty amazing lyrics. Son of a Gun, on the other hand, did not.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:
[qb] Kurt Cobain said in several different interviews that his lyrics were basically nonsense, and he generally just filled them in once everything else was done.

That doesn't mean they can't be good. Some of the nonsense was clever. Some of the best songs are basically a bunch of gibberish.
That's fine -- no reason those can't be great songs. It does, however, mean that he's not a great lyricist. In my opinion, of course.

quote:
In example, "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen serves absolutely no purpose. But it was a good song with some good vocals, good music, and intriguing production to back it all up.
If you think that, you should go back to the song and listen carefully.

quote:
I don't judge lyrics on whether or not they actually say something important. Because that would eliminate a big portion of lyricists.
The only way to judge a lyricist is on content and arrangement -- what they say and how they say it. There's nothing else to judge. I'm not sure what it is you're judging, but it's not lyrics.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
BB makes a good point. Often lyrics are compared to or even equated with poetry. But although lyrics can be poetic and poetry can be lyrical, they are two different forms and what works well for one won't work for the other. This is due in large part to the performance and how the words support the music (and vice versa).

An interesting exploration of this is MPR's recent Songs from Scratch series.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Also, there is more substance to a lot of Nirvana lyrics than people think. Cobain noted that sometimes he wrote nonsense, pointless songs (like "tourettes" a song he said didn't need to be written).

But he also talked about the meaning behind some of his songs. "Serve the Servants" is basically about his parents' divorce. "Scentless Apprentice" is a musical adaptation of the novel Perfume by Patrick Suskind. "In Bloom" was making fun of people who sings lyrics to songs without knowing what they mean.

The man was more of a lyricist than some people give him credit.

vonk
Member # 9027

The lyrics to Chemical Calisthenics by Blackalicious, if anyone is interested. He amazes me frequently. The lyrics aren't quite as impressive without the beat, but still.

He truly has the Gift of Gab.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Heart Shaped Box had some pretty amazing lyrics. Son of a Gun, on the other hand, did not.

"Son of a Gun" was a cover of a song by the same name performed by the band The Vaselines. The lyrics are not Kurt's fault.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] Kurt Cobain said in several different interviews that his lyrics were basically nonsense, and he generally just filled them in once everything else was done.

That's fine -- no reason those can't be great songs. It does, however, mean that he's not a great lyricist. In my opinion, of course.

quote:
The only way to judge a lyricist is on content and arrangement -- what they say and how they say it. There's nothing else to judge. I'm not sure what it is you're judging, but it's not lyrics.

1st Part: Refer to my above post. I explained in more depth my analysis of his lyrics.

2nd Part: I didn't say that I don't judge content. I said that I don't judge lyrics by whether or not they say something important. They don't all have to be rip-roaring anthem rock songs protesting some war or another. Lyrics can be words arranged in a clever and fun way for the sake of being words.

I can like the lyrics to "Fergielicous" (I don't) because they're clever. That songs has nothing of substance to say to the world. It's just music. Not every band is trying to start a revolution.

I listen to a lot of Christian rock bands because I enjoy the messages inherent in their lyrics. But I don't expect every song to have some sort of message.

I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said that I don't judge lyrics on whether they say something important or not.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt Cobain wrote lyrics? You mean his songs weren't mumbled incoherently in their entirety?

I have some of his songs on my playlist, and it has nothing to do with the lyrics. I admit I don't look for deep transcendental meaning in lyrics, though.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:

"Son of a Gun" was a cover of a song by the same name performed by the band The Vaselines. The lyrics are not Kurt's fault.
However "Negative Creep" is.
http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Nirvana/Negative-Creep.html

edit: Also how coincidental that as I posted that I turned the page to the magazine I was editing and its a feature on Kurt Cobain. [Angst]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

*shrugs* There are only a couple of songs on their first album (Bleach) that have lyrics that aren't at least a little bit disturbing. I like the songs "Blew", "School", "About a Girl", "Swap Meet", and "Big Cheese."

I believe that, like all musicians, he grew, matured, and progressed as a song writer. Bleach was basically garage rock. Nevermind was more of an alternative rock sound. And In Utero took elements of both and combined into something that worked.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, how could I forget one of the best lyricists ever? Bruce "Utah" Phillips! And he's just an all-around cool guy, too-- he stipulates that all his lyrics are in the public domain and free for anyone to use, sing, or record. He's awesome.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara Groves, closely followed by Jennifer Knapp (If you're listening to Jen, though, you'll need the lyric sheet, since enunciation isn't her strong suit.)
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Kyo of Dir en grey
Darroh Sudderth of Fair to Midland
Kate Bush, you can't tell me the lyrics to the Fog aren't awesome. So simple and yet so provocative and beautiful! Mmmm! Then you have Sensual World to consider, This Womna's Work, Houdini

Tori Amos's lyrics are out there insane most of the time, but they hit to the heart, like in Winter, or in Your Cloud, Your Cloud has some of the best lyrics ever.

Staind annoys me ebcause their guitars are not so bad, the vocals aren't so beastly but the lyrics SUCK! I cannot believe how much the lyrics to Right Here suck. I could write better lyrics than that.
Laura Nyro was good, but her lyrics to this one song were juvenile, but the song is still good.
Then you have Liz Frasier who said such RANDOM THINGS in songs to confuse everyone who listened to it. Fans loved it.
Pink Floyd had some of the best lyrics, especially to Comfortably Numb. Can't go wrong with "My hands felt just liek two balloons." or "I have become Comfortably Numb"
Antother reason to hate Staind is butchering the lyric "When I was a child I had a fever." It's fever! Not feeling! How can you cover one of the best songs ever and not know that?
Depeche Mode's lyrics are not so bad, but the ones to I want it All are only OK., Not like One Caress or Question of Lust or Judas, ect.

Eddie Vedder was always good for good lyrics, but sometimes he'd carp to much on fame, and I am afraid Kyo would demolish him even in English songs and English just isn't his native language, but he does a not so bad job of it.

Then there is Ani DiFranco to consider...

I could go on.
I fact I will
This guy in Three Days Grace has a good voice, but I swear he just gets into bad relationships so he can write songs about it. What the heck is up with, "Pain I like it rough because I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all?" Not the actual lyric, but still! That's such a warped idea. And "I hate you, so why do I love you?"
I guess this band = Emo. Oddly enough I like and hate these songs at the same time.
These guys get so whiny, like in The Gift by Seether. This guy keeps howling ina generic voice about how afraid he is of the gift some woman or something is giving him.
These folks get scared too easily and howl about being miserable too much. Now Kyo, he, even singing in full Japanese can make you FEEL his misery and pain. That guy freaks me out because he's walking tragedy, a walking open wound. This guy can make grown young men cry without knowing a word of Japanese other than sayanara.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Young (My life's an open book, you read it on the radio...)
Paul Simon
Joni Mitchell
Ira Gershwin
John Lennon

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I going to be the first to mention Leonard Cohen? I only know the lyrics to "Hallelujah" but it's nothing short of spectacular.

Trent Reznor, particularly older stuff, can be very good, as can Maynard from Tool/APC. "Hurt", of course, comes immediately to mind for Trent.

Ed Kowalczyk of Live can ramble, but he can also write some great stuff. From "Run to the Water":
quote:
For a moment we lost are minds here
And thought the world was round
The million mile fall from grace
Somehow we missed the ground

A couple of Christian bands I have liked, Relient K and Jars of Clay, both have some nice depth, usually without pounding you over the head. From JoC's "Five Candles":

quote:
A promise or a dare
I would jump if I knew you'd catch me
Staring over the edge
I can't tell if you'll be here for me

I close my eyes and make a wish
Turn out the lights and take a breath
Pray that when the wick is burned
You would say that it's all about love

(I'll let someone else do Neil Peart)
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard Cohen is definitely my favourite lyricist but iin addition to him I have huge respect for,
  • Paul Simon
  • Elvis Costello
  • Bob Dylan
  • Neil Young (until I saw a documentary on him that made it obvious he was a bit of a boob and not quite as deep as I had thought.)
  • Eric Clapton
  • Regina Spektor
  • Tracy Chapman

edit: DId anyone else see my double post show up at least a half an hour after I posted this?

[ August 30, 2007, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: dantesparadigm ]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How could I forget Joni Mitchell?

"All I really really want our love to do is to bring out the best in me and in you..."

"...I wanna talk to you, I wanna shampoo you I wanna renew you again and again."
So cute.
And
"You're in my blood like holy wine..."

Plus there is Neil Young to consider

And who ruled more at lyrics than Cole Porter? I love Cole Porter.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, Tracy Chapman most definitely rocks at the lyric-writing. I haven't thought of her in a while. *goes to dig out cd or something*
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with many of those listed above. Also Mary Chapin Carpenter, David Wilcox.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Indigo Girls

Although at first they sounded so college educated. Upper echilons. gahaha.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a discussion like this with my boy a week ago because he doesn't understand why I love the Barenaked Ladies so much. He's a jazz fan and so he's turned off by the pop-sound and lyrics. I agree that some parts of the music aren't all that complex (though I've got something bad for the bassist Jim Creeggan who is a great lyricist too) but I love them for the lyrics.

I just love the word play, the irony, the ability to hide so much darkness under catchy radio-ready melodies. I prefer Steven Page's writing over Ed Robertson's, but Page seems to either be brilliant or alittle off the mark, while Ed is consistently okay.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

You got to love the Lyrics to One Week
It has a whole bunch of stuff I like!
But Jazz had some greeeeeeeat lyrics. They just don't write them like that anymore.
But you have to admit some of the lyrics are creepy. Like Billie Holiday singing about her man cheating on her and beating on her. Or Bessie Smith (blues) saying she'd rather her man hit her than quit her.
Creepy...
Unhealthy...
In fact, too many love songs are like that, filled with unhealthy lyrics and sentiments mostly expressed by women.
They sound so clingy and co-dependent.
You got to love the lyrics to a song like The Way I want to Touch you by Captain and Tennelle. That song rocks and Miracles by Jefferson Starship. Really delightfully sexual. It's hard for folks to write sexual without sounding yucky.

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
vonk: I AM SO GLAD SOMEONE ELSE LIKES BLACKALICIOUS!!! I am currently working out a dance piece for Sky is Falling. Possibly my favorite hip hop song of all time.

I think Outkast are also great lyricists (YKK on your zipper), as is Ludacris.

Tegan and Sara have _great_ lyrics. Very on point, as far as being a twenty something single girl goes.

Rufus Wainwright... are there clouds and stuff in Hell?

Ani DiFranco; Feist.

Here is an excerpt from Fire Door, by Ani.
I opened the fire door to four lips
None of which were mine
Kissing
Tightened my belt around my hips
Where your hands were missing
And stepped out into the cold
Collar high
Under the slate grey sky
The air was smoking and the streets were dry
And I wasn't joking when I said
Good Bye
Magazine quality men talking on the corner
French, no less much less of them then us
So why do I feel like something's been rearranged?

[ August 30, 2007, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: porcelain girl ]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yesssssss Rufus Wainwright

And Jeff Buckly

And also Tim Buckley too

And Carole King

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite lyricist? Cat Stevens. They're not all that deep or elaborate, but... I dunno, his songs go right to the soul.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lou Reed is good, too. Not fancy, very pure.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Sia
She's spiffy!
She's fantastic! More people should know about her sublime coolness.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, I was scrolling down and thought I was going to get to be the first person to say Jeff Buckley, oh well.

Paul Simon
Paul McCartney
Tim Rice
Bob Dylan
Pete Townshend
Brian Wilson
Billy Joel
Barenaked Ladies
And how has nobody mentioned Elton John
Mary Carpenter, as stated above, is great.

"And who ruled more at lyrics than Cole Porter? I love Cole Porter."
I have an amazing album of Aretha Franklin singing Cole Porter

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

I adore Sia, but I HATE the lyrics to sweet potatoes. They grate on me so hard, which is too bad, because her voice is so visceral and otherworldly. I feel like all the songs on Colour the Small One are good by merit of her voice, but I feel that only half of them have strong lyrics.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I thought the lyrics were cute.
But I hate Mars bars.
Ew Coconut.

There is Jonatha Brooke to consider

OK. BED!!! I will Burn this cd tomorrow!

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
First, I just want to say I hate Kurt Cobain as much as I can hate someone I've never met [Big Grin] . I think his music is complete crap and he has basically no talent as a guitarist or a lyricist. Yes I know, people say that when you're that famous you must be doing something right, but I think what he was doing right has absolutely nothing to do with his muscial abilities. And I hate what he represented and his influence on his generation. I blame emo crap on him.

No offense, Steve.

Anyways, back to the OP, I second Bob Dylan. All Along the Watchtower was perfect in every way. And I'll throw in David Bowie. Some of his lyrics were strange, but they were pretty awesome and you can always understand the lyrics when you hear them in his songs (the way lyrics are supposed to be heard), which makes them a thousand times better then when you read them off some website.

Also, I might get made fun of a little for this, but Death Cab for Cutie writes some good lyrics. And you can hear them perfectly.

Edit: If we're going to talk about Nirvana's lyrics then this video should be watched. [Big Grin]

[ August 30, 2007, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: GaalDornick ]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
And Frank Zappa also had strange, but kind of cool lyrics. Dancin' Fool had very clever and amusing words, IMO. Muffin Man has my favorite "spoken" lyrics ever at the beginning.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally Posted by: Synesthesia
This guy in Three Days Grace has a good voice, but I swear he just gets into bad relationships so he can write songs about it. What the heck is up with, "Pain I like it rough because I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all?" Not the actual lyric, but still! That's such a warped idea. And "I hate you, so why do I love you?"
I guess this band = Emo. Oddly enough I like and hate these songs at the same time.

I've never read any confirmation, but a lot of people think "Pain" is a song about cutters, or less specifically, self-injury. At the very least, a lot of the SI community identifies heavily with the song. It might sound like a warped idea to you, but there's a lot of people out there, many of them suffering who feel just the way the song describes, or near to it, or at least can empathize with it. To them the song is cathartic.

I'm not always sure who writes the lyrics to songs, but I like a lot of Nirvana and Barenaked Ladies songs, but by far my favorite music, for the sound and the lyrics comes from the Dave Matthews Band. There's a special magic in the way he weaves words and music.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites (in no particular order):

Leonard Cohen (though my favorite Hallelujah is Rufus Wainwright's version)
Dolly Parton
Johnny Cash
June Carter Cash
Suzanne Vega
Hazel Dickens

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard Cohen is amazing.

Azure Ray. If you haven’t heard of them or listened to them, (which is likely, I don’t think they’re well known) you should check out their self-titled album, especially the song Safe and Sound. Or their EP November, for the song I Will Do These Things. I think they are the only band that has moved me to tears, ever. (well, outside of Weezer, their song Butterfly hits me very hard).

Moving away from judging lyrics by how strongly they move me, I would like to mention Van Morrison. The song Gloria is, in my mind, the embodiment of rock and roll. In fact, the next time some fool tries to pass off Stairway to Heaven as the greatest rock and roll song of all time, I’m going to slap them and say, “Van Morrison, Gloria.” I enjoy Patti Smith’s version of the song the most.

Speaking of which, Patti Smith is solid. I love her cover of Hey Joe, in which she changes the lyrics dramatically. Her songs Boy Cried Wolf, Land, Spell, and Because the Night come to mind. Because the Night was written by Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith, and I feel I should mention Springsteen is pretty good with words as well.

I’m a little amazed at how many people haven’t been mentioned…

This line had a pretty big influence on my friends and me when we were little punk hooligans.

The Offspring – Tehran

Will you ever wonder
If the man that's in your sights
Ever kissed his girl goodbye?

I realize now that it’s a cliché that many anti-war songs and books use, but at the time, it seemed life-altering profound to us. Oh, and I do enjoy slant rhymes. The song was first released on their self titled album back in 1989, and I was amused when they re-released it with slight changes to fit the war today.

The Quick Recap (or for those to lazy to read it all):
1. Azure Ray.
2. Weezer – Butterfly and Only in Dreams
3. The Cure – Just Like Heaven
4. Patti Smith
5. Van Morrison – Gloria especially
6. Bruce Springsteen

I wish someone would do a good cover of Ring of Fire. I love the lyrics, but I can’t stand the music.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard Cohen. Yes!
Jeff Buckley. I adore him.
Rufus Wainwright and his dad, too, Loudon.
There's a Japanese guitarist/singer named Miyavi who seems to write some pretty witty and creative stuff, but I'm an imperfect judge due to not being fluent in Japanese.

Has Fiona Apple been mentioned?
I think she's downright genius. Consistently and absolutely brilliant. One bit that came to mind when seeing this thread is in "Parting Gift":

quote:
I took off my glasses while you
were yelling at me once
More than once
So's not to see you see me react
Should've put 'em
Should've put 'em on again
So I could see you see me
sincerely yellin' back

I'm not even a big fan of 'angry' relationship songs, but I still love her stuff because I feel like her writing is intelligent.

Edit to add Alkaline Trio's Matt Skiba (ex. "I'm Dying Tomorrow").

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

Mm, Fiona is a fantastic lyricist.

From Paper Bag:

I was staring at the sky, just looking for a star
To pray on, or wish on, or something like that
I was having a sweet fix of a daydream of a boy
Whose reality I knew, was a hopeless to be had
But then the dove of hope began its downward slope
And I believed for a moment that my chances
Were approaching to be grabbed
But as it came down near, so did a weary tear
I thought it was a bird, but it was just a paper bag
Hunger hurts, and I want him so bad, oh it kills
'Cause I know I'm a mess he don't wanna clean up
I got to fold 'cause these hands are too shaky to hold
Hunger hurts, but starving works, when it costs too much to love

I also have to agree on the mention of Tori Amos' early works. Some beautiful lyrics there.

My scream got lost in a paper cup
You think there's a heaven
Where some screams have gone

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Songs that are too much about lyrics at the expense of the music don't usually appeal to me. And reading lyrics on their own without listening to them in the context of the song also doesn't appeal. The music matters most, in other words. But some songs have lyrics that really enhance the music and make it way better. And also, instrumental music can be awesome but unless it's classical music, I usually prefer music to have some sort of voice in it.

So, given all that, the lyricists I love most are also the musicians I love most. Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Carlos Vives, etc.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally Posted by: Synesthesia

I've never read any confirmation, but a lot of people think "Pain" is a song about cutters, or less specifically, self-injury. At the very least, a lot of the SI community identifies heavily with the song. It might sound like a warped idea to you, but there's a lot of people out there, many of them suffering who feel just the way the song describes, or near to it, or at least can empathize with it. To them the song is cathartic.

Ok, from that perspective, that makes the song a lot better, and it's not so bad in the first time.
*borderline cutter*

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.