FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Woot off in progress (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Woot off in progress
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, excuse my ignorance. Can someone tell me what woot means? Is it an acronym?

It took me forever to figure out IMO.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot.com is a site where they have a sale on something each day. They sell it until they run out or until it's the next day, at which point they sell something new.

Woot offs, if I'm not mistaken, speed up this process, jumping from one thing to another over the course of a day, and you have to keep hitting refresh to see what's up for sale at any given minute.

We got our HDTV off of Woot a couple of months ago, and we're really happy with it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're asking about the word "woot" used as an exclamation, it basically is synonymous with "yay" and "yippee."
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Woot offs, if I'm not mistaken, speed up this process, jumping from one thing to another over the course of a day, and you have to keep hitting refresh to see what's up for sale at any given minute.
yeah, they basically take whatever extra stuff they have in stock and sell it off. As soon as something sells out(which may be a matter of minutes) they put up the next item.

i'm not sure where the origination of the word comes from, but scifibum is correct about it's general meaning.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, we got a shout-out to our earthquake on woot!

quote:
This union promises to rock the world of satellite radio like that earthquake that hit L.A. earlier today, although probably without damaging any buildings.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that if you buy only one BoC that you'll get more than if you had bought three. Is that true?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I have heard. I hear just the opposite.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here gotten a BoC?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, let's roll!

BoC!

Yeah, I believe ApostleRadio/prolixshore has. He got a Roomba. For a dollar.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
bumpy bump bump
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing exciting so far. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, those little photo keychains were cute. I was going to get 'em for the kids, but they sold out too quickly. Probably just as well.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Woot and I share a birthday, and I was able to get a BOC last year during that time. I didn't get anything special, just a couple of trinkets, but it was definitely worth more than three dollars.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump for Woot off PSA
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

WANT!

(do NOT need. am NOT getting)

WANT!

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate that I'm tired and have to go to bed soon and I might miss seeing a BoC.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I didn't miss the BoC this time! I wasn't away from the computer, or anything.

I just couldn't freaking get through!!!!!

[Cry]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. [Frown]
I have to date clicked on 14 BoCs in my life, and gotten no farther than the "Buy Three" button. Ever.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

How much of your life do you have to devote to Woot to get a BoC? (I mean, is there ANY chance of a positive ROI even if they send you a Lexus?)
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how many Bags of Crap I've missed as I sat there, glaring at their "Server busy" message after clicking on the "Buy Three" button, but it's a high number. I've rarely missed a bag of crap in the years I've been watching Woot, but I've never gotten one.

Icarus got one the last time around, though. No idea how he pulled it off, but he did. He acquired some mid-level crap, too--not a bad haul.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I think maybe we've learned the real reason for botnets.

To buy all the bags of crap.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: laugh ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Like the thread says...
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nuts! I wanted those keyboards!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, something very interesting is apparently being sold, because all I can get right now is "Server Error."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

*cough*
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

unless it stopped at some point, it's actually still going on.
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup.

And so far, mostly not the crap that comes in bags. Just crap. [Razz]

Strider
Member # 1807

you mean you don't need a nut roaster?
rivka
Member # 4859

The only male in my household would be unlikely to appreciate one.
Strider
Member # 1807

bump!
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a "Shirt.Woot Reckoning Sale: All Shirts 20% Off." [Frown]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

only for a little bit. it's been various other items all day.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Ah, it has changed. I don't need "Cobra microTALK GMRS/FRS 16 Mile 2-Way Radios – 2 Pack" though. And I should stay away anyway - it's a time waster for me.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

caysedai, a woot off lasts for a day, sometimes two, where one item after another is continuously put up until it sells out, then on the the next one. Some times dozens or more different items are sold during the woot off.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
4G ram laptop for sale right now, $429.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But the woot-off appears to be over. Was there a BOC?
Strider
Member # 1807

i didn't see one. I just want one BOC before I die...
rivka
Member # 4859

[Confused]
Strider
Member # 1807

hah, I'm talking long term here. Nothing is impending..don't worry. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

You are not the source of my confusion. The fact that we seem to have another woot-off in progress is what has me confused.
Strider
Member # 1807

it should be a source for joy!

example:

[Party]

rivka
Member # 4859

The two are not mutually exclusive.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Strider: I'm familiar with the woot-off. My confusion at first was because I had never seen the shirt thing and it didn't seem to be progressing, giving me the impression it would never end. Note my follow-up comment about woot-offs being a time-waster for me. I would sit and refresh for hours if I didn't stop myself, in hopes of bagging (so to speak) a BOC.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Just use a Woot watcher, CS.
rivka
Member # 4859

If you're using FF, I highly recommend the FF Woot Watcher add-on.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

I should probably just stay altogether. I usually can't afford anything, anyway. And I don't really need more stuff. I do like my MP3 player I got a few months, ago, though. [Wink]
Cookie Crisp
Member # 12312

- posted      Profile for Cookie Crisp   Email Cookie Crisp         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a woot off, but the woot.com April Fools joke is pretty cute: Woot Your Own Adventure!
Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I just want one BOC before I die...

This may be my new mantra. But this year's April 1st BOC "game" is exactly what is needed to make me give up.

I cannot get past level 2. And if my count is right, I need to get past at least level 6 or 7 to get a BOC.

GRAH! [Razz]

Strider
Member # 1807

Is there really a game? Or is the whole thing an April fool's joke?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.