FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oscar Nominations are out (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oscar Nominations are out
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just scrolling through the Oscars history slideshow. It shows the poster and what one best picture. Boy time sure does fly once you hit 25 or so. Also, it's funny to watch the fashion of graphic design through the decades.

P.S. I hope Juno wins something, mainly because it's the only contender that I actually managed to see this year.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was it who sang the second Enchanted piece & why was it not Amy Adams?
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Kristin Chenoweth. And poor Amy already seemed so nervous over singing Happy Working Song that I assume they decided to give her a break?

(Though, as Amy quipped: "Oh sure...have the best voice on Broadway sing the song!")

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe The Diving Bell and the Butterfly didn't win for cinematography.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Who was it who sang the second Enchanted piece & why was it not Amy Adams?

Because the Oscars almost never have two songs performed by the same performer.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Three songs from Enchanted and none from Sweeney Todd? Feh.

Diablo Cody just became the out-of-nowhere Oscar successs story.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:

Were they eligible? Don't they have to be new songs?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:

Chris, unless a song is made specifically for a movie, it almost never gets nominated for "best song". Unless I'm mistaken, the songs in Sweeney Todd were all from the stage version, right?

That's partly why Chicago, Dreamgirls, and Hairspray all had at least one song not heard in the stage version added. [Smile]

[ February 25, 2008, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Word. No Country takes the big ones. The only one it should have gotten but didn't was Cinematography. I guess they had to throw There Will Be Blood a bone.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
And frankly I think Amy Adams was better than Kristen Chenoweth, and no offense to her, because I think she's a great singer, but Amy Adams does that song better.

Stewart was funny and not overpowering, he's a good host.

I'm glad Atonement won for best score.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Stewart was one of the best that I've seen.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was just thinking about it. I think I'd put him up there with Steve Martin, who's probably my favorite Oscar host.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart usually annoys me, but he amused me tonight and I thought he was a good choice for host.

Yeah, who was that woman who sang that Enchanted song?

I was surprised no one took any chances on their dress. There was this one woman who looked like she was some sort of Christmas present (red bows on her shoulders and a huge black jewel on her chest). All of dresses looked the same. I guess the Grecian goddess look is in this season (or is pregnancy just in?).

That girl who won Best Actress was cute. From the previews, it looked like she deserved the honor. I want to see it now. I loved her speech: "There really must be angels in this city!"

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristin Chenoweth was better, IMO, but Ilove her performances.

She will be singing at the Met in the future, and I have no doubt it will be amazing.

Although it won't include any songs from Enchanted (thank God).

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Stewart usually annoys me
I love his show. But I've been a bit surprised that lately when I see him as himself on a guest on some shows, like Larry King the other night, he seems to oscillate between insightful and cool, and kind of a prick. It really kept me off balance.

Stephen Colbert I've found is just as, if not more awesome when he's just himself as when he's playing his character on his show. I'd love to see him do the Oscars next year. Or have them tag team it. Their Emmy presentation two years ago was hysterical.

seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
And frankly I think Amy Adams was better than Kristen Chenoweth, and no offense to her, because I think she's a great singer, but Amy Adams does that song better.

I think Chenoweth took the song too seriously, because it was supposed to be lighthearted and ended up boring.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for Glen and Marketa! [Party]

There are a lot of movies that I haven't seen. I'm really looking forward to No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Juno, Sweeney Todd, and some others. But for now I basically have only seen Once and Ratatouille, so Animated Feature and Song were the only categories I really cared about, and both my favorites won.

For once, the Oscars didn't disappoint me. Except that they had to play Marketa off before her speech and then bring her awkwardly back on after the next break. But Once was great, the performance of "Falling Slowly" was great, and Glen's speech was brilliant.

[Big Grin] <---- ME

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I thought Stewart bringing her back out was classy. I've never seen them do that, ever.

seven -

I agree. She might have the chops, but I thought the vibrato was way too heavy for a song that's supposed to be lighthearted and fun. It's not a solo ballad. I felt like Eponine was singing about Marius, and just thinking about how ridiculously out of place that song would be in Les Mis I think points out how wrong her take was, for me anyway.

I'd have been fine with them switching. I liked the Working Song less than That's How You Know. I thought I'd be annoyed with "Once" winning. I loved the song from August Rush, which was full of great songs, but hell, they were ALL good, and it seemed like the Once people had the most riding on it so, good on them.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!

Jhai: Goregeous, but safe. Nothing too bold, and nothing that is likely to - let's put this gently - have a wardrobe malfunction.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I fell asleep halfway through, which is kind of embarassing. I'm sorry I missed the performance of the Once song. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Todd's songs weren't original, and I can't believe I forgot that. Never mind.

Still, the songs presented may have been great in the movies, but performed on stage not one of them did a thing for me. I loved how they brought the one winner back out to complete her acceptance speech, though.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda annoyed Juno didn't get more. I really wanted Ellen Page to get best actress. I mean best screenplay is awesome, but that was a great movie and the only one -- near as I could tell -- with out a pretty depressing premise. I'm just really not a fan of depressing, well made or not.

And Chenoworth mangled That's How You Know. She was way too serious, and even if she'd tried to capture the insanely bubbly, over the top sweet Amy Adams pulled off for the movie -- and that is really required for that song -- I don't think she could have managed it. They should have had Amy Adams do it.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The woman dressed like a present was Daniel Day Lewis's wife (?).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you're just trying to make me curious enough to go and look at red carpet pictures. I won't do it, I tell you! Not unless I can't resist the temptation.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:

And Chenoworth mangled That's How You Know. She was way too serious, and even if she'd tried to capture the insanely bubbly, over the top sweet Amy Adams pulled off for the movie -- and that is really required for that song -- I don't think she could have managed it. They should have had Amy Adams do it.

The thing is, she COULD have done it. She was Glinda, a bubbly over the top character in Wicked. The only explanation I can think of is maybe Chenoweth didn't see Enchanted so maybe she didn't realize what it was supposed to be like.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.