FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oscar Nominations are out (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oscar Nominations are out
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the link.

I'm happy to see that Juno got several nods, although I'll be surprised if the movie wins anything, given the drama line up. Of course, the big question is whether the show will go on...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
It might win original screenplay.

I have not seen many of the contenders. I saw a trailer for There Will Be Blood and it gave me a giggle-fit. I know the Academy loves Daniel Day Lewis, though.

If No Country For Old Men doesn't win best sound effects editing, hands down, there is no justice in teh world.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the Oscars even make "oops" look sexy.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
I saw a trailer for There Will Be Blood and it gave me a giggle-fit.

That's the reason why I haven't seen it yet. The part of the trailer where Daniel Day Lewis is slapping Paul Dano, who then shrieks like an old woman. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow....I haven't seen most of these. Granted, I've been out of the country for almost 7 months, but still. I'm very disappointed with myself
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Transformers should not get Visual Effects. I was pretty mad that the transformations were simply blurred morphs and not something that could in theory be built. Unless I'm wrong about that.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
I saw a trailer for There Will Be Blood and it gave me a giggle-fit.

That's the reason why I haven't seen it yet. The part of the trailer where Daniel Day Lewis is slapping Paul Dano, who then shrieks like an old woman. [Big Grin]
I couldn't make up my mind whether it was supposed to be a serious drama, or the 'Oscar Drama' equivalent of Shoot 'Em Up (which was an unwinking parody of the gun-play/action genre, in case somebody didn't know). I'd have been more interested in the latter.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchanted has 3 noms for best song. When was the last time a single movie got so many nominations in a single category?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Juno wins at least one of the awards. It got kinda shanked during the Golden Globes. And Ellen Page deserves something.

I want there to be more movies like this one.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, Dreamgirls was nominated for three songs in that category and then didn't even win. I'll go check.

Edit: Yep. Three songs nominated, and the win went to the song from An Inconvenient Truth. ( link)

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen Atonement of the films nominated for best picture, and while it was a good film it wasn't a great one, so if it wins that means it must have been a bad movie year.

I'm surprised the Romanian 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is not nominated for best foreign film. Well, I haven't actually seen it so I don't know if it is actually good, but all the critics here have said it's the best film of the year. Plus it won at Cannes.

I sincerely hope Persepolis wins best animated feature. And that Cate Blanchett won't win best actress for Elisabeth.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Juno does look like a good story.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope No Country For Old Men wins Best Picture, but I really don't care. That movie needs no validation.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I agree with Resh.

O_O

*head asplode*

Evie3217
Member # 5426

I really hope that Cate Blanchett wins for I'm Not There though. I think that would be amazing. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen some clips, and they're incredible. Plus, she's been getting Oscar buzz for that roll since it came out.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Norbit got an OSCAR NOMINATION?!?

You know, it's pathetic that I don't think I've seen *any* of the movies on this list...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

It saddens me that Norbit got an nomination. I work at Blockbuster at home, and every time someone rents it, I just look at them and say, "Really?"

Actually, I don't do that, but I wish I did. There are so many movies that I wish I could do that for. But I feel like we'd lose a lot of our business.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, has any movie ever gotten both Oscar and Razzie noms in the same year before?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm so torn. Persepolis, if it's anything like the graphic novels, will be an incredible movie that many people should see.

But I found Ratatouille to be utterly brilliant.

*sigh*

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Okay, has any movie ever gotten both Oscar and Razzie noms in the same year before?

According to Wikipedia (thus taken with a grain of salt), yes, but not for the same category.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kinda just going along with Ratatouille until the scene when the critic takes a bite of the titular dish, for some reason right then I wanted to cry.

But I'm rooting for Surf's Up in the animated category. It's rare that I watch a movie and immediately want to watch it again.

I think Charlize Theron was nominated for an Oscar and a Razzie in the same year, for North Country and Aeon Flux.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Lisa's question was whether a movie got nominated for both awards in the same year.

Not quite the same actress for different films. [Smile]

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Personal picks (keeping in mind I haven't seen all of these):

Best Actor: Viggo Mortenson (Eastern Promises)

Supporting Actor: Can't say, haven't seen enough of these, but Hoffman was good in Charlie Wilson's War.

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (Golden Age)

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)

Animated Feature: Haven't seen Persepolis, but I loved Ratatouille.

Art Direction: Atonement, but I guess I'd be okay with Sweeney Todd.

Cinematography: Atonement

Costume Design: I'd love to say Atonement since I loved it so much, but I can't imagine anyone other than Elizabeth Golden Age wins. The costumes are just stunning.

Directing: Hard to say, I haven't seen enough of them.

Documentary feature: I want to see Taxi to the Dark Side, but it isn't out around here yet. Sicko shouldn't win. It raises the issues, that was good stuf, but you have to back it up with facts at that point. So no opinion yet.

Skip a few until we get down to Makeup, where I'd say Pirates actually, but I don't think nominating Norbit was out of bounds. I don't think it should win, but, it should be on there.

Score: 3:10 to Yuma had good music, but Atonement had an amazing score. It blew me away.

Song: That's How You Know from Enchanted. Loved it. Didn't see Once, and I thought August Rush had a lot of good music (I got the soundtrack and I love it), I think Enchanted really nailed it.

Best Picture: Atonement

Short Film Animated: Only saw Peter and the Wolf thanks to Puffy Treat, but it was good.

Visual Effects: Meh. All three were extremely graphics heavy, it's hard to choose, but I think Transformers might take it in the end. Though personally I lean towards Pirates. Other than the bears, which were beautifully animated (mostly Iorek and Iofur), not much else was impressive.

Writing Adapted: Atonemenet

Writing Original: Juno

Just my take.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Viggo Mortensen!! [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

I agree with you about Viggo Mortensen, Lyrhawn. I take it you have not seen No Country?
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
No nomination for Paprika.
[Cry]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No I haven't Resh.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
One question... is Atonement supposed to be subtitled, or are you just supposed to smile and nod through the French parts and read the body language?
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You're s'poseta sleep through Atonement, especially the English parts. Then be so embarrassed at missing everything that you'll tell your friends that it's must-see high art.

[ January 23, 2008, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
All these movies are downers! The happiest one is about unplanned, romanticized, teenage pregnancy. Fun!
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
[Cry]

Paprika was submitted for the 2006 Oscars. It didn't make it past the submission stage to actual nomination.

That was the year the Academy decided creepy, unconvincing CGI mo cap penguins were preferrable to all else.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen 4 of the movies nominated, but 2 of them were in the special effects and/or sound editing categories. Several of the ones higher up I'm interested in seeing but was leaning more toward Netflix when they come out on DVD.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:
One question... is Atonement supposed to be subtitled, or are you just supposed to smile and nod through the French parts and read the body language?

Just learn French. It's not that hard. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
You're s'poseta sleep through Atonement, especially the English parts. Then be so embarrassed at missing everything that you'll tell your friends that it's must-see high art.

High art, not necessarily, though some of it was certainly impressive on that scale. It was just a really, really good movie. I'm extremely glad that I saw it, and I think it was probably the best movie that I saw last year. The acting was good, the music matched the film perfectly (I loved the typewriter), some of the shots in the movie were just awe inspiring, and the whole thing left me emotionally drained at the end. Either you didn't actually see it aspectre, or it was never your thing to begin with, but it wasn't bad.

And also, there's maybe three, four minutes of French in the movie, and it's subtitled.

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
I really hope that Cate Blanchett wins for I'm Not There though. I think that would be amazing. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen some clips, and they're incredible. Plus, she's been getting Oscar buzz for that roll since it came out.

I just got back from seeing this. About 35% of it went right over my head (honestly, I can't remember the last time I felt so intellectually inferior), and yet I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, now that I've had some time to process it all I'd like to go see it again as soon as possible.

Blanchett really was amazing. She deserves to win for this, I think.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

So sue me, I really think Amy Adams should have been nominated for her performance in Enchanted. She took a deceptively difficult role and pulled it off beautifully. Heck, two of her scenes transcended the film, making it briefly brilliant instead of just fun. [Smile]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be really cool if Blanchett won two trophies for the two separate movies, but I seriously doubt the Academy would allow that.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
So sue me, I really think Amy Adams should have been nominated for her performance in Enchanted. She took a deceptively difficult role and pulled it off beautifully. Heck, two of her scenes transcended the film, making it briefly brilliant instead of just fun. [Smile]

I agree 100%, and not just because I have a mad crush on Amy Adams.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
[Cry]

Paprika was submitted for the 2006 Oscars. It didn't make it past the submission stage to actual nomination.

That was the year the Academy decided creepy, unconvincing CGI mo cap penguins were preferrable to all else.

See, for some reason, I thought that submitted movies (with the exception of foreign film category) had to have an LA theatrical release. It never occurred to me that it would have been submitted in a previous year.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
See, for some reason, I thought that submitted movies (with the exception of foreign film category) had to have an LA theatrical release. It never occurred to me that it would have been submitted in a previous year.

You're right. It got a -very- limited release in L.A. that most people missed.

Heck, it only hit the local art house theater in my area for three days in May of 2007 before it vanished. [Frown]

Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
What's weird, where I live Paprika hit the DVD shelves before it hit the theaters.

About Atonement, I thought it was a film that had a great premise, and as others have said it was very professionally made. However, I do also think it could have gone to much more interesting places with the premise. The whole sequence in France, while containing that cool (seemingly) unbroken camera shot, was unnecessary in a film that was should have been more about the little girl. Her torment was the interesting bit, not McAvoy's saintly traipsing through war.

In the end, it was a good film, but not a great one. I'm okay for it excelling in the technical awards but will be disappointed if it wins Best Picture. (Though since I haven't seen the other best picture nominees that can be taken with a grain of salt, I don't know if they're actually any better...)

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I see that 3:10 to Yuma only gets in on the music and sound awards.

I don't think it should win necessarily, but to get shut out so completely is a bunch of freakin' crap.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Ben Foster should've gotten a nom for best supporting actor in 3:10. And it should've gotten a couple other nods. It was a great movie.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
"Best Actor: Viggo Mortenson (Eastern Promises)"

I watched this last night. I can't breathe when I watch this man.

*swoons*

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
The French in Atonement was subtitled when I saw it.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Annnnd.. the winners are..

*bump*

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
My main take so far: this year's a stylish one. Most of the dresses I've seen so far tonight are gorgeous.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
"And the baby goes to... Angeline Jolie."
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The awards seem to be very distributed this year.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.