FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What should I spend 100$ on? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What should I spend 100$ on?
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I suppose if you define Europe to consist only of those countries that put adjectives after nouns then all Europeans do it. Unfortunately that isn't a convensional definition of Europe.

French uses both adjectives both before and after the noun so you could just as easily put it in either category. Let's just leave the out for simplicity

All the germanic language put the adjectives before the noun. That's ~190 million people (including England and Ireland). Russian puts the adjectives before the noun as does Polish so I will assume that is common in the other slavic languages.

Even if you add in Romanian and define French to be in the after noun group, that group simply does not make up the majority of Europeans or European languages.

Well, the discussion was about 'civilized', non-English Europe... ;-)

And sure, French can go either way. So can Spanish and Portuguese, in certain circumstances (and as an extension, presumably the other Romance languages, too). The example that comes to mind are variations on gran, bom/boa/buen, mucho/muito, poco/pouco, etc... The point wasn't that they didn't also use adjectives in front, but that they did use them after... I'd include French. Much as it irks me to include the French in anything ;-)

So, maybe not most. But a bunch, sure.

Anyway, the previous post came mostly out of boredom. Combativeness for combativenesses' sake. The internet and a rainy day in São Paulo (and aren't they all rainy?...) will do that to you.

Edit: And in the case of Slavic languages, it's probably dangerous to use an Eastern Slavic archetype (Russian) to generalize about Western and Southern Slavic languages.

[ February 12, 2008, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Fusiachi ]

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates of the Burning Sea. Then you can be one of those cool civilized Europeans. If someone doesn't like the way you type, you cut them down! YAR MATEY!
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
For an actual suggestion, how about Spore come September?...
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
I love Guild Wars. It is a game you can jump into for 20 minutes, have a blast fighting, and walk away from. It is fun, intense, and not so addictive that it wastes time. It makes for intermittent short blasts of fun.

This is it COMPLETELY. Guild Wars was really welcome in my life after WoW, the Time Eater.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably HAVE money by that time, I do not preorder things unless they offer something special, like SIns of the Solar Empire, offering a position in the semi open beta.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
100$:

$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka - I am teh sorry's

[Frown]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a little something nice for your Tante, who has always been so good to you.

I've been thinking how I'd like to have an MP3 player.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
"A Nano For Tante" - now there's a charity I would donate to.

Where do I sign?

*Note: No apostrophes were hurt in the creation of this post.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
Rivka - I am teh sorry's

quote:

Or kitten's?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Kittens apostrophe's were not hurt as well.

What a catastrophe that would be.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Maybe a little something nice for your Tante, who has always been so good to you.

I've been thinking how I'd like to have an MP3 player.

I'm tellin ya, Disney Mix-Max video player- best $60 I've spent in ages. [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Rivka - I am teh sorry's

quote:

Or kitten's?

Kittens are teh cunning's.

Lull you into a false sense of security they will, yes. Beware the dark side of the paws.

* packs bags and heads for hills.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont get it. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The kitten thing?

"Every time you pluralize with an apostrophe, a kitten dies."

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Bwaa ha ha! My feigned ignorance has allowed me to kill a kitten and get away with it!!

Bow before me kittens' before I...oops..there goes another one!

[Evil Laugh]

EDIT: I thought it was just the misuse of apostrophes. Does that mean my "dont" did no damage? *drat*

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*smites lem with the Ketchup of Righteousness*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.