FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you realize? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Do you realize?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Pix- I believe the quarter trick would also wear the record out faster (due to the pressure on the groove).
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You know what I miss? The sight of children playing outside in the street.

Maybe it's just because I'm not (yet) a parent, but I truly do not understand the "stranger-danger" & general levels of (over-)protection of children today. My neighborhood has children playing in our court together, but they never go more than a house or two away from someone's home. There's a wooded area with a small creek just a block away that I would have been all-over as a child, but I can't ever remember seeing kids playing there.

It's a sad thing to see an creek without a dam in a neighborhood full of children.

Also: I was walking my two (extremely friendly but large) dogs around yesterday, and there were three children ~ 6-8 yrs old playing in a yard who obviously wanted to come over and pet the dogs, but didn't say anything to me until I invited them over. After I finished showing them how to properly greet unknown dogs & they'd been petting my pups for a few minutes with great joy, a dad came out and glared at me and called the children away. Dude, I understand being unsure of unknown large dogs and strangers, but when I'm obviously instructing your kids on how to pet a dog nicely, and my two dogs are on on their backs happily getting their bellies rubbed, I don't think there's much to be worried about. I wouldn't have allowed them near my dogs if I had the slightest fear of, well, anything happening - I don't want a child's injury or a lawsuit any more than you do.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The knob broke off our TV. For years we changed the channel with a pair of pliars. We also used percusive maintenance when the picture didn't look right.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Used to, people stayed married.

I was 8 years old when I first heard of divorce.
I was 10, and I heard about it from my parents when they announced they were getting a divorce.

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

I don't miss it at all. The little brats never get out of the way when I'm driving down the street. I don't mind the kids with the basketball hoop, they step aside, but these other kids further up the street have a friggin skateboard ramp and rail in the middle of the street and they never get out of the way until I'm right on top of them glaring. When I was a kid and we played hockey in the street, we ALWAYS moved well before the car got close. There are always tons of kids in the street near us because our street is the smoothest around. Every other street has cracks or small holes.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in school, there was an educational tool called a film strip. It was still pictures on a roll of film that threaded through a projector. It came with a record. The teacher would turn off the lights and put the record on the record player, and one of the kids would work the film projector. The record would have some kind of educational narration, and the film strip would have pictures illustrating the narration. Every so often, the narration would pause and go "beep". That meant you were supposed to advance the film strip to the next picture. If the kid working the projector messed up and didn't turn the picture when he was supposed to, all the kids would yell out, and he'd turn it. But he probably wouldn't get chosen again to work the film strip projector. That was a plum assignment, and it only went to kids who were favored by the teacher and did a good job of properly advancing the frames.

I have no idea why anyone thought that this was a valuable educational tool.

And, mmm . . . I do recall getting a buzz on from huffing mimeograph fumes. We all loved getting fresh, warm mimeographs, and the whole class would immediately take their sheets and sniff them deeply. And they kept wondering why the SAT score were falling.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We also used percusive maintenance when the picture didn't look right.

Ditto. We'd throw a tennis ball at our TV to straighten the picture out and the dog loved it.

I remember a) my dad's 8088 computer. b) his first "portable" computer, a 386, which was pretty much the same size as my desktop workstation is now.

There was also some sort of car commercial jingle from SoCal that had a little bouncing ball so you could sing along with the words: "91 freeway lakewood exit bellflower"

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember baseball cards coming with a stick of chewing gum.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Horrible, brittle chewing gum.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We also used percusive maintenance when the picture didn't look right.

Oh come now... I STILL use percussive maintenance on everything, even the expensive stuff.

quote:
Maybe it's just because I'm not (yet) a parent, but I truly do not understand the "stranger-danger" & general levels of (over-)protection of children today.
I remember when my cousin from New Jersey came to town, and we decided to go exploring in our neighborhood. We each took a tennis racket for defense and began walking. We walked a good thirty blocks in to the deserted and swampy areas west of my home (which was the Everglades), and found all sorts of wacky stuff.

These days it's unthinkable for parents to do that. My parents then didn't even bat an eye.

And now another one...

My first computer course was Turbo Pascal, taught at the Miami Dade Community College. I think I was in sixth or seventh grade - maybe a little older - but I was the youngest person in the class.

The instructor used a "portable" computer: it was a computer (an early edition 8086 PC) the size of a steamer trunk that had to be wheeled in on a gurney because nobody could carry it.

Their definition of "portable" was more like "integrated screen": the screen was part of the base unit, and it was no bigger than five or six inches diagonal. Text on it was in bright amber.

For the overhead projector he had the really advanced technology: a panel that he would put on top of the projector. The image from the computer would appear similar to a quartz display and it would get broadcast up to the screen in a ghostly dark gray.

There was no color or shades of gray or anything; the pixels on screen were simply either "on" or "off".

At the time I had a Tandy 1000TX at home, which had the same graphics support as the PC Jr. - a staggering 320x200 with SIXTEEN colors! Since I knew the lab at MDCC had PC Jrs, I explicitly made my last project use colors. I floored my instructor and the other students with the display of color; they thought I was a programming God.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom ran a computer lab with 386s, upgraded in 1995, I forget the name of the new models, they actually were gateway (I loved the boxes!).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Horrible, brittle chewing gum.

They were the taste of freedom. Horrible, brittle freedom.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
The instructor used a "portable" computer: it was a computer (an early edition 8086 PC) the size of a steamer trunk that had to be wheeled in on a gurney because nobody could carry it.

Way to use one old thing before my time to describe another one. Had to Google that one. Apparantly, it is "from the late 18th Century to the early 20th." [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
You kidding? We actually owned a steamer trunk to keep all our Christmas stuff in until a few years ago.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the days when I actually looked forward to a sequel in the Star Wars franchise.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Pong.

I remember when Ms. Pac-man was a new and controversial game.

I remember when you had to go to arcades to play the good video games.

I remember BBS's, public bulletin boards accessed with my new 1200k Modem.

I sold Tandy IV computers.

I remember the Bicentenial.

I don't remember getting old.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, let's see.

I remember the Tylenol scare, after which everything from your aspirin to your mustard suddenly had to have tamper-evident packaging.

I remember rotary phones, and being able to call 8-4-4 to get the time and temperature.

I remember what seem now like incredibly dumb arguments with a friend about whether the Atari 2600 (my console) or the Colecovision (his) was superior. Now I'd freely admit the Coleco was the superior hardware. But they only had a decent software library because of an adapter to play Atari 2600 games.

I have fond memories of my Commodore 64- with fast load cartridge!- which was my first experience with music composition, by way of "Gary Kitchen's Gamemaker". And I remember being so scared by the "Jaggi" in "Rescue on Fractalus" (start at about 4:45) that I eventually had to stop playing.

I remember our first PC (or "IBM Compatible PC", as they were called), a 386. GIFs in VGA looked amazing compared to the C64s graphics. It didn't have a sound card; I accidentally fried the mouse board trying to install one.

I remember the fan adoration of the Seattle Seahawks' Brian Bosworth, which proved to be a laughable irony.

I remember leaded gasoline being available.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of these have been said, but I remember:

- Getting a thin piece of plastic in a cereal box that you could play on your record player. "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air" was the song that I remember getting (or Theme to Greatest American Hero).

- Playing Pong (or perhaps it was a cheap knock-off). I remember begging my friend Judd to let me play his new Atari 2600, once he got it. I checked last time I was home; my parents still have that old Pong console (and they still keep it in the same place).

- The Christmas my Dad brought home a Mac 512k. My favorite games: Loderunner, Hunt the Wumpus, and a slot machine facsimile (called MacSlots, IIRC).

- Our first VCR (it had faux wood paneling), and how my Aunt brought her's over and illicitly recorded some movies for us, including Iron Eagle.

- The first home run I ever saw (on TV) was hit by Dale Murphy, who golfed a breaking ball that was about 6-inches off the ground into the first or second row at Fulton County Stadium. He went on to win the MVP that season.

- When "We Built this City" replaced "Shout" as my favorite music video.

- "Pac-man" breakfast cereal, which I'd eat while watching "Pac-man" Saturday morning cartoons.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember when you had to go to arcades to play the good video games.

Gauntlet at the food court with my hot dog, a Dr. Pepper, and a pocket full of quarters from raiding my sister's room who was a waitress--those were the days.

*note* used tinyurl because the url has parentheses.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
You kidding? We actually owned a steamer trunk to keep all our Christmas stuff in until a few years ago.

*shrug* Never heard of it.

Then again, my first memory of a boat is like a hydrofoil ferry between Hong Kong and Macao. So steamer, not so much.

PS: On browsing the Wikipedia article, I may have seen one at Red Lobster when they gave out children's toys. Or is that a treasure chest. Hmmmm.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When we got our first computer (a Radio Shack TRS-80) there was not only no internet, there was no software. You were supposed to learn BASIC and write programs. Also, you could subscribe to a magazine that published BASIC programs that other people wrote, and you could type them in, line by line, into your own computer.
The TRS-80s and Apple IIc we had at school were where I learned to type BASIC programs. Probably out of that same magazine. [Wink]

quote:
No, it had cards with the numbers on them, and they'd flip every minute. I remember having friends over on weekend mornings, and they'd have to come before 10:00, so we could sit and watch the clock flip from 9:59 to 10:00. It was a big deal. Sometimes we'd go and do something else and come back to see it flip to 11:11. That was neat, too.
I don't think we ever had friends come over just to watch it, but us kids sure watched it. (My mom keeps everything. The clock finally got tossed a couple of years ago, although it hadn't been entirely functional for several years before that.)

quote:
The stereo had sliding doors to the cabinets, where you could store your albums. For some reason, you had to keep them stored on end, and there would be wire racks to keep them standing up. I don't know why it would be a problem to have them laying down.
More likely to warp, especially if it was a sunny place. This tended to irritate one's parents. [Embarrassed]

quote:
The knob broke off our TV. For years we changed the channel with a pair of pliers.
Yes! My parents thought hiding the pliers would keep us from watching TV when they were out and we were supposed to be doing homework. We discovered that a screwdriver fit the little slot just right.

I remember filmstrip reels. We didn't just watch educational stuff on them -- one year we watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I don't remember why.

quote:
I remember the Tylenol scare, after which everything from your aspirin to your mustard suddenly had to have tamper-evident packaging.
I do too. It was in the news a lot, and it was scary.

I also remember monochrome computer screens. And when the pixels were easily visually distinguishable. We were so excited when we first got a color computer monitor!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when a big announcement in computing was the use of 16-color color monitors.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sure. Our first color monitor did four, IIRC.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Nightman, an action figure I got when we moved into our first apartment. My first gaming system was the super Nintendo, but I don't remember it too well. The first gaming system I have fond memories of was my N64 (which I still have) I remember staying up all night playing my brother in Starcraft.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
I remember the Bicentenial.

When I was in 4th grade, we all made designs to enter into the contest Illinois had for a bicentennial license plate.

[And in 1986, Father Guido Sarducci came on the David Letterman show proposing that we celebrate the "Bicenten-tenial". He even had t-shirts made up for it. Every decade since then, we've talked about the Bicenten-ten-tenial, and so on.]

Also in 4th grade, we were told that the USA was committed legally to going fully metric by 1976. There were lots of jokes about dropping the ball on the 10 meter line and cowboys with two and a half liter hats.

I remember when gasoline hit $1/gallon. All the gas stations switched to prices in liters, not because they wanted to go metric, but because the gauges on the pumps didn't go high enough. Also, because it made the prices sound not quite so bad.

I remember reading the issue of Mad Magazine before the '72 elections. I still have it downstairs. On the back cover, there's a picture of the statue of liberty, with all four men running visible in her crown, and a tear running down her cheek...

I remember when all area codes had a 1 or a 0 in them, and no exchanges could have those digits in them, and you didn't have to dial a 1 before the area code, because the presence of a 1 or a 0 made it obvious that it was an area code.

I remember being excited the first time I saw a monochrome amber on black monitor. It was easier on the eyes than the old green on black ones.

I collected Planet of the Apes (TV show) cards.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 11808

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather used to whip up the lather and shave with his straight razor, and I would watch him. He had a little styptic pencil to stop the bleeding when his hand shook. Shaving was more exciting in those days.

My mother also once decided to save on fuel by lighting the stove only for meals. The water pipes promptly froze, and the plumber summoned to unfreeze them set the house on fire. A fire engine then came roaring up, and a neighbor dressed in his yellow slicker chopped an eight foot hole in the wall with a giant axe, so the fire crew could get water on the fire. That was exciting too, but after that my mother kept the kerosene stove in the living room burning whether we needed it or not. That kept the skunks who lived under the house comfy as well, and they usually behaved with great propriety. But late winter is the mating season for their kind, and they sometimes lost control a bit when in the throes of passion. So we would hear frantic squeals, and shortly after get a clear reminder that we had neighbors.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 11808

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas prices. Just before Christmas of 1956, my great-aunt asked me to drive with her from Massachusetts to Pass Christian, Mississippi. At one point she asked if there was any sightseeing I would like to do along the way, so I told her that after reading Huckleberry Finn I would really like to see the Mississippi River. So she drove west about thirty miles, and crossed the river, and continued down the western bank for another thirty miles or so before crossing it again. That was a kind thing to do, for which I was duly grateful. But I also remember coming to some little town with gas stations across the street from one another which were engaged in a price war. They had dropped the price to 25 cents a gallon, and I remember how excited she was to be able to fill her tank at that price. Those things are hard to remember, but the trip pinpoints the date almost exactly.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember there only being 3 TV channels (BBC1, BBC2 & ITV).

Hobsen wins hands down, but I still say that nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
LOGO (LOGOS?) was my first programming language. At this distance in time I'm not sure if it was Turing-complete or not, but what it would do was draw lines, in various colours, on the screen. There was a turtle, and the commands were of the nature "Move ten points left", "Pencil up" (that is, move without leaving a line), "Pencil down", "Change colour", "Hide turtle". Presumably it could have been used to draw the map in a labyrinth game, but I was too young to figure that out, I thought you were supposed to make the turtle itself do stuff for your game. Later I went on to Turbo Pascal, the only language I've actually written a complete game in. The animations were hardcoded arrays, so when the character hit a monster, I would switch between the "holding sword upright" and the "sword straight out from body" arrays.

Games that needed the turbo switch, because they weren't meant to be played at 33MHz.

One TV channel. It was a seriously big deal when a second channel was introduced. (Financed by - gasp! horror! advertising!) I was allowed to sit up late and watch the introductory show. The weather ladies were all fantastically nervous the first day; they stood straight up and down and very nearly stuttered. They got through it, though, and we were all proud of them.

The Berlin wall, yes. Before that we sent letters and drawings to children in Poland, and they sent the same back. I was jealous of the people in our class who got candy in their letters; but knowing what I do now, it was likely not very good candy.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
LOGO (LOGOS?) was my first programming language. At this distance in time I'm not sure if it was Turing-complete or not, but what it would do was draw lines, in various colours, on the screen. There was a turtle, and the commands were of the nature "Move ten points left", "Pencil up" (that is, move without leaving a line), "Pencil down", "Change colour", "Hide turtle". Presumably it could have been used to draw the map in a labyrinth game, but I was too young to figure that out, I thought you were supposed to make the turtle itself do stuff for your game.

I taught the turtle to spell every letter of the alphabet.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is still something that can be seen in small towns, though I will admit, it doesn't seem as common as it was when I was growing up. (I'm 28.)
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be horrified at the thought of my younger nieces and nephews doing the kind of stuff we did as kids - and I was a bookish, not very physically adventurous kid. We climbed on roofs, crossed over ravines on sewage pipes, climbed very tall trees from which a fall could kill you, sledded into ravines with creeks at the bottom, swam unsupervised in Lake Michigan...
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember learning about the Four Food Groups and watching an educational video about AIDS with Magic Johnson...of course, none of the teachers in the school were willing to explain what unprotected sex meant-but that's another issue.

I remember playing two-player Lemmings on my old Amiga, never thinking it odd that a computer would need two mouse ports.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember my brother learning to knap flint. You could even say that the axes and arrowheads he produced represented cutting edge technology.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You could, but someone would have to administer severe punishment if you did. [Razz]

Two mouse ports? I remember when a mouse was optional on a computer, and I desperately wanted a joystick.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
[qb]Used to, people stayed married.

I was 8 years old when I first heard of divorce.

I was 10, and I heard about it from my parents when they announced they were getting a divorce.

Wow.

At least half the kids in my first grade class had divorced or separated parents. At least. By sixth grade it was close to 2/3. In preschool it was at least 1/4, including me.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Palleeeze, you do not want to play 'do you remember' with me.

I remember when, to make a phone call, you turned a big crank on the side and a nice lady would answer with 'operator'. You would then respond with 'Hi Mabel, this is Steve, can I talk with Aunt Nettie?" Soon enough, you would be connected.

If you wanted to call a nearby city, you would get Mabel on the phone, and tell her you wanted Mason City AXtel 2345. She would connect you to an outside line, then instruct the outside operator as to the city and the number you wanted to call. The outside operator would connect you to the Mason City operator who would then in turn connect you to the number you requested.

I remember, in the country/rural areas, they had party lines, when the phone rang, it range is several houses at once. You identified the call was for you because of the ring, your ring might be 3 long & 2 short, and the neighbors might be 3 long and 1 short.

I remember when there were NO TVs. The local TV guy was Jerry Sparks. He both sold and fixed TVs. Also, since so very few people had them, he would loan you a TV on a trial basis to see if you liked it. Of course, once it was in your home, and the kids got a look at it, it was very hard to let it go. He sold a lot of TVs that way. Of course, when we tried our first TV, there was only one available station.

I remember my first calculator, it was a TI and cost $250 and was about the equivalent of a $15 calculator today. But more importantly, I remember, prior to that, doing all our technical calculations with a very expensive bamboo Slide Rule that we attached to our belt in a heavy leather carrying case.

I remember my fist computer was a Commodore VIC-20 that was painfully slow and had virtually no memory, and cost $250.

I remember when the world was safe enough that even very little kids just ran outside and played. When I was young, my brother and I had the full run of the little town we lived in, but we couldn't cross the highway that ran through the town until we started school. Since the school was on the other side of the highway, they took us down, and showed us how to cross safely. From then on, the entire town, and the fields and woods around it were our playground.

I also remember un-homogenized milk. When the weather was cold, the cream would rise to the top and freeze. That was like ice cream. My brother and I would eat the cream, then refuse to drink the milk, which by then was the equivalent to skim milk.

I remember when there were no indoor dogs. All dogs ran free all day, and played with all the kids in town. Then at the end of the day, the kids and dog would return home.

I remember that nearly every house had a 'parlor' which was a room that was too good for everyday use; it was reserved for company. Yet, no company was ever good enough to use that room.

I remember grandma Ellingson, who was not actually my grandma, who refused to use a gas stove. She stoked a BIG cast iron wood burning cookstove. She could tell by the feel when it was the right temperature for whatever she was baking. She made homemade bread nearly every day, and it was like manna from heaven. You simply can't find bread like that today.

My grandfather was born in 1900. Consider the massive changes he saw in his lifetime. I sometimes wonder of quantum changes like that are still possible. Are there going to be new invention of the scale of the telephone, automobile, and airplane?

Oh yeh, I also remember Howdy Doody and PF Flyers.

I also remember drinking warm school milk through chocolate or strawberry flavored straws.

OK, now you all know what an ancient decrepit antique I am.

Steve/bluewizard

[ November 17, 2008, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: BlueWizard ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You could, but someone would have to administer severe punishment if you did. [Razz]

[Big Grin]

quote:
Two mouse ports? I remember when a mouse was optional on a computer, and I desperately wanted a joystick.
Yep, it wasn't until I got my third computer that I got one for which a mouse was even available (computer #1 being a TRS-80 with 4K of RAM, computer #2 being a Commodore 64, with (you guessed it) 64K of RAM, and computer #3 being an Amiga 2000, which ran at a blazing 7.14 MHz and had 1.5 MB of RAM). I had a tape drive on the TRS-80, a tape drive and then a 5 1/4 floppy drive on the Commodore, and a 3.5 floppy drive on my Amiga. I remember being delirious with joy when my girlfriend bought me a second floppy drive as a combined birthday/Christmas present in 1991. Years later I got a hard drive for that machine, but I wasn't sure that it was really worth the money. I valued that second floppy drive a lot more highly.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My grandfather was born in 1900. Consider the massive changes he saw in his lifetime. I sometimes wonder if quantum changes like that are still possible. Are there going to be new invention of the scale of the telephone, automobile, and airplane?
I can remember when people used "quantum change" correctly, to mean "sudden change not proceeding through the intervening territory", rather than incorrectly as now, to mean "large qualitative change".
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
I remember learning about the Four Food Groups

When we learned about the 4 food groups, they taught us a song with 4-4-3-2 in it, because that's the number of servings we were supposed to eat of the four groups.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, are the 70s and 80s now legal for "I remember"?

I remember going to Star Wars in the theater with my grandpa when I was 4. Going to E.T. when I was 7 or 8 and gripping my dad's arm hard at the beginning with the 4x4 trucks.

I remember going to my older sister's kindergarten once and seeing presidential debates on TV. It must have been Jimmy Carter.

I remember when "Thriller" came out and how awesome it was.

I remember when MTV had the man on the moon with the big M that changed patterns. My favorite pattern was the bricks.

Our favorite video was "Cum On Feel the Noiz" by Quiet Riot. Also "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister.

I remember when it was revealed that Magic Johnson had aids.

I remember watching the coverage of Tiannamen Square.

I remember Halley's Comet being somewhat of a disappointment.

I also calculated what my age would be in 2000 (26) and thought how cool it would be when the Roman numerals for the year were MM.

My dad brought home a couple of original IBM PCs in the early 80s, and I spent a lot of time on those. We didn't have a word processor until probably after I was in high school. I wrote my papers in P-Edit with manual line breaks and overtype and printed them out on our dot matrix printer. I had a "portable" computer at one point that had a tiny screen. I wrote programs in Pascal on it, but mostly just to draw pictures on the screen. I never was much of a programmer.

I remember when you could pretty much just turn your computer off without having it "shut down."

I remember running programs off floppies and being amazed at the prospect of a hard drive.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:

Of course they are. Sheesh, the 90s are!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kq:
Wow.

At least half the kids in my first grade class had divorced or separated parents. At least. By sixth grade it was close to 2/3. In preschool it was at least 1/4, including me.

None of the kids I grew up with had divorced parents. But my parents have a better relationship now than when they were married. None of my current friends even knew they were divorced until after two years of my knowing them. From what I've seen from friends with divorced parents (ignoring the stereotype), mine are an exception.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:

Of course they are. Sheesh, the 90s are!
When you can barely remember the 80s, I'd say so. There was a time when people would have asked the same question about any period of time.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
When you can barely remember the 80s, I'd say so.

Maybe you can barely remember the 80s, boyo. I remember 'em just fine.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, most of you guys are really young, you know that?

Geroff my lawn!!!

[Grumble] [Grumble]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember when it was revealed that Magic Johnson had aids.
I remember when Magic Johnson was playing against Larry Byrd in the NCAA finals.

I remember before before AIDS had a name.

quote:
I remember when MTV had the man on the moon with the big M that changed patterns. My favorite pattern was the bricks.
I remember before there was MTV.

quote:
I remember being excited the first time I saw a monochrome amber on black monitor. It was easier on the eyes than the old green on black ones.
I remember when computers didn't have monitors, just card readers and hard print outs.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Tom Hanks was a sitcom star.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
oops, double post...

I remember we had a television antennae on our roof. We had a gadget hooked to the tv, that kind of looked like a clock, which we had to twist, in order to mechanically turn the antennae on the roof in order to get one of our 3 channels in clearly.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread. Being older is an advantage. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
I remember when Tom Hanks was a sitcom star.

I remember when Billy Crystal was. His first scene on TV was in a pink dress and a blonde wig.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.