FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you realize? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Do you realize?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
I remember learning about the Four Food Groups

When we learned about the 4 food groups, they taught us a song with 4-4-3-2 in it, because that's the number of servings we were supposed to eat of the four groups.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, are the 70s and 80s now legal for "I remember"?

I remember going to Star Wars in the theater with my grandpa when I was 4. Going to E.T. when I was 7 or 8 and gripping my dad's arm hard at the beginning with the 4x4 trucks.

I remember going to my older sister's kindergarten once and seeing presidential debates on TV. It must have been Jimmy Carter.

I remember when "Thriller" came out and how awesome it was.

I remember when MTV had the man on the moon with the big M that changed patterns. My favorite pattern was the bricks.

Our favorite video was "Cum On Feel the Noiz" by Quiet Riot. Also "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister.

I remember when it was revealed that Magic Johnson had aids.

I remember watching the coverage of Tiannamen Square.

I remember Halley's Comet being somewhat of a disappointment.

I also calculated what my age would be in 2000 (26) and thought how cool it would be when the Roman numerals for the year were MM.

My dad brought home a couple of original IBM PCs in the early 80s, and I spent a lot of time on those. We didn't have a word processor until probably after I was in high school. I wrote my papers in P-Edit with manual line breaks and overtype and printed them out on our dot matrix printer. I had a "portable" computer at one point that had a tiny screen. I wrote programs in Pascal on it, but mostly just to draw pictures on the screen. I never was much of a programmer.

I remember when you could pretty much just turn your computer off without having it "shut down."

I remember running programs off floppies and being amazed at the prospect of a hard drive.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:

Of course they are. Sheesh, the 90s are!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kq:
Wow.

At least half the kids in my first grade class had divorced or separated parents. At least. By sixth grade it was close to 2/3. In preschool it was at least 1/4, including me.

None of the kids I grew up with had divorced parents. But my parents have a better relationship now than when they were married. None of my current friends even knew they were divorced until after two years of my knowing them. From what I've seen from friends with divorced parents (ignoring the stereotype), mine are an exception.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:

Of course they are. Sheesh, the 90s are!
When you can barely remember the 80s, I'd say so. There was a time when people would have asked the same question about any period of time.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
When you can barely remember the 80s, I'd say so.

Maybe you can barely remember the 80s, boyo. I remember 'em just fine.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, most of you guys are really young, you know that?

Geroff my lawn!!!

[Grumble] [Grumble]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember when Magic Johnson was playing against Larry Byrd in the NCAA finals.

I remember before before AIDS had a name.

quote:
I remember when MTV had the man on the moon with the big M that changed patterns. My favorite pattern was the bricks.
I remember before there was MTV.

quote:
I remember being excited the first time I saw a monochrome amber on black monitor. It was easier on the eyes than the old green on black ones.
I remember when computers didn't have monitors, just card readers and hard print outs.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Tom Hanks was a sitcom star.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
oops, double post...

I remember we had a television antennae on our roof. We had a gadget hooked to the tv, that kind of looked like a clock, which we had to twist, in order to mechanically turn the antennae on the roof in order to get one of our 3 channels in clearly.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread. Being older is an advantage. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:

I remember when Billy Crystal was. His first scene on TV was in a pink dress and a blonde wig.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
[QUOTE]I remember when gasoline hit $1/gallon.

My 6th grade Reading teacher said once, "I don't believe in aliens. However, I also didn't believe gas would ever go over $1 a gallon. So you never know." This past summer, every time the price of gas would go up, I'd think of him and how the possibility of aliens just got a little bit better.

I remember, in elementary school, the lunch lady who punched our cards saying that in 10 years there would be a computer doing her job. Ten years later, in high school, our lunch cards were electronic and we scanned them through the computer. But there was still a lunch lady there--she was just in charge of minding the computer instead of punching holes in our cards.

I remember card catalogs.

I remember our first computer, a TI-99/4A. It was awesome. Lots of fun games. My dad could even make it talk--although it pronounced my name funny.

I remember my mom telling my sister and me to play quietly because this was the very last time MASH would ever be on, and Dad wanted to see it. I was very confused a few weeks later when the reruns started.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom Hanks was a sitcom star? I can totally see that.

I'm too young to play I remember, except for the playing outside thing. When I was a kid, we tore up and down the streets on our bicycles, sold flowers for pennies and walked to school alone or in pairs from a young age. This was the nineties.

Now there are so few people on the street that it is more dangerous than it used to be when everyone was out.

I remember when the only allergy I'd ever heard of anyone having was 'hay fever'. Even after people started to be allergic to things (there was a continental move involved in this revelation), kids were still allowed to bring peanut butter and peanuts to school.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Amilia:
I remember card catalogs.

Ooh, me too! I spent so much time in the library when I was a kid, that when we learned how to use a card catalog in school (it was a formal lesson, just like learning to use a dictionary and learning to use a telephone book), I already knew how.

My oldest, OTOH, knew what they were (apparently they were mentioned in a book she read), but even though she was a volunteer in the library this past summer, had never seen one until I showed her a picture (ok, that's not the one I showed her. [Wink] ) a few minutes ago.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
We used a card catalog until we hit high school when it was all on a computer.

I used to like the smell of the old cards.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Yep, it wasn't until I got my third computer that I got one for which a mouse was even available (computer #1 being a TRS-80 with 4K of RAM, computer #2 being a Commodore 64, with (you guessed it) 64K of RAM, and computer #3 being an Amiga 2000, which ran at a blazing 7.14 MHz and had 1.5 MB of RAM).

Actually, there was a mouse available for the Commodore 64, though it came into being pretty late in the game and there wasn't a heckuva lot you could do with it. There was also a Macintosh/Windows style interface called GEOS, though why you would have wanted to use up the resources of a computer that only had 64K to begin with with such a thing is beyond me.

Speaking of which- I remember when speech synthesis (a computer being able to speak! Shock! Awe!) was really, really cool.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I remember when speech synthesis (a computer being able to speak! Shock! Awe!) was really, really cool.

Me too. My then-spouse used to show it off to people over the phone. [Wink]
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

I remember when John Hinckley tried to assassinate president Reagan. I was in 8th grade.

That very day, I learned about "the zero factor", which was an interesting bit of trivia: up to that point in time, every president who was elected in a year ending in zero died in office*. It appeared that day that Reagan might fulfil the zero factor. I ran home, ran in the door, and in a happy excited voice shouted, "Mom, mom, the president's been shot!" I got in big trouble. (Reagan ended up dealing the death blow to the zero factor.)

I remember that the tv show The Greatest American Hero was airing at the time, and the lead character was named Ralph Hinkley. He was a schoolteacher, and after the assassination attempt, his students stopped referring to him as "Mr. Hinkley", and started referring to him as "Mr. H".

A year or two ago, someone posted the video of the assassination attempt on filecabi.net. I was aghast by how many commenters said something along the lines of, "It's obviously a fake, because no one ever tried to kill Reagan."

*Actually I just looked it up. It's not every president, it's every president from 1840 through 1960.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
I remember when speech synthesis (a computer being able to speak! Shock! Awe!) was really, really cool. [/qb]

Me too. My then-spouse used to show it off to people over the phone. [Wink]
On a slightly tangential note, I remember that it was so cool when MODs came on the scene and (seemed to) started to replace MIDI music in computer games.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

I remember when Billy Crystal was. His first scene on TV was in a pink dress and a blonde wig.
I wouldn't have called Tom Hanks a "star". Bosum Buddies was not a huge hit.

I wish they would rerun Soap. I loved that show.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I remember when John Hinckley tried to assassinate president Reagan. I was in 8th grade.

I was in second grade. It was the one and only year I attended the school I now live a couple blocks from. I remember an announcement on the P.E. system.

quote:
He was a schoolteacher, and after the assassination attempt, his students stopped referring to him as "Mr. Hinkley", and started referring to him as "Mr. H".

Is THAT why?! I only saw it in syndication, and I wondered.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I wouldn't have called Tom Hanks a "star". Bosum Buddies was not a huge hit.

Actually, I thought about that after I posted it. It is funny though to think there was a time when Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari were of equal significance.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
I remember when Magic Johnson was playing against Larry Byrd in the NCAA finals.

I remember watching Lakers/Celtics with Johnson and Bird. I do not remember the NCAA finals with those two.

quote:

I remember before before AIDS had a name.

I do too, or at least before everyone knew what it was.

quote:
quote:
I remember before there was MTV.
My parents didn't have a TV before MTV got started. So I missed out on that. I watched MTV at my friend's house in the early 80s.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when sports stadiums didn't change names.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Announcer: Do you remember a time when chocolate chips came fresh from the oven? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Fry: Ah, those were the days.
Announcer: Do you remember a time when women couldn't vote and certain people weren't allowed on golf courses? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Yep, it wasn't until I got my third computer that I got one for which a mouse was even available (computer #1 being a TRS-80 with 4K of RAM, computer #2 being a Commodore 64, with (you guessed it) 64K of RAM, and computer #3 being an Amiga 2000, which ran at a blazing 7.14 MHz and had 1.5 MB of RAM).

Actually, there was a mouse available for the Commodore 64, though it came into being pretty late in the game and there wasn't a heckuva lot you could do with it. There was also a Macintosh/Windows style interface called GEOS, though why you would have wanted to use up the resources of a computer that only had 64K to begin with with such a thing is beyond me.

Speaking of which- I remember when speech synthesis (a computer being able to speak! Shock! Awe!) was really, really cool.

I remember living in Spain for three months, where I got to play The Hobbit interactive fiction game on a Timex Sinclair computer. A staggering 16K of memory in that thing!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Rogue. Or Hack. Same thing.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I remember when Lew Alcindor played in the NCAA finals, and the band from Weber College (WSC was eliminated in an earler round) played pep band for the UCLA team. My silly sister got married that weekend, and I had to miss the trip.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
]I remember living in Spain for three months, where I got to play The Hobbit interactive fiction game on a Timex Sinclair computer. A staggering 16K of memory in that thing!

Oh, I remember those Timex Sinclair machines. Man, did I hate the keyboards on them.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I miss Rogue. Or Hack. Same thing.

Well, you don't have to. There are any number of modern version around.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, you asked two questions that I know the answer to, so while we're talking about antique things, here goes.

The reason you don't lay an LP record on its side in a stack is because the plastic they made them out of in those days was easy to crack, and the later plastic would warp. Storing them on their ends prevented this problem because the forces were much less. A record on its end only feels the gravity of its own weight. A record under a pile of records feels a lot more pressure.

Your second question was why the hole in the 45s was so big? Answer: in order for jukebox components to have a way to handle them easily, and for the machinery that drops only a single 45 at a time from a stack onto the platter to have room enough to work. Later on they developed a version of turntable center that would handle a stack of LPs (33s) too but it never worked that well, as I recall. The bigger hole means you can put a substantial piece of equipment in there, with room for plenty of subtle mechanisms.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I see now (that I've read the whole thread) that both those questions had already been answered.

My first programming job was programming an IBM mainframe in COBOL using JCL to submit jobs. A guy I worked with there had been a programmer longer, and he had used to solder wires onto circuit boards to encode his program into the computer. Did you know they used to write programs by soldering wires?

We didn't have air conditioning when I was a kid until I was in third grade. On really hot summer days mom would take us to the grocery store or theater because those places were so nice and cold inside. If we didn't get to do those things, we just put on our bathing suits and played in the sprinkler in the front yard. It was fun.

I remember when candy bars cost a nickle and a coke cost 13 cents, or 10 cents if you drank it on the premises and left the bottle (with its 3 cent deposit).

I remember when bottled cokes (or beer, though I didn't realize that) had to be opened with the use of this little metal thing that for some strange reason (probably related to beer) was called a "church key". You couldn't just screw off the caps with your hands.

I remember when toys like dart guns and slingshots really worked, and had real darts or other missiles, and you could possibly kill a sibling with one, or "put their eye out", a weird turn of parental phrasing.

I remember when skate wheels were small and metal, instead of large and rubbery, and when they came rectangularly placed on the skate instead of all four in a line. Man, that was kludgy!

I remember being so sad that by the time they came out with big wheels (a low-slung type of tricycle with large plastic wheels) I was too big to ride on them. I tried anyway but the seat scraped the ground.

I remember back when Fisher Price little people sets were the bomb, when the people were smaller, and the designs were so cool and fun to play with. They totally ruined Fisher Price with the bigger (choke proof) people.

Oh, I remember rolling my hair on big rollers before going on dates in high school. Then my hair would be so poofy that I had to tie one of my mom's scarves around my head for a while to get it to mash down. Rollers were these round plastic things that you wrapped up your wet hair in to dry it with this hood type hair dryer. It had like a plastic shower cap thingy that went over your rollers, then a tube like a vacuum cleaner that hooked to the cap that the warm air blew through.

I remember when the game Clue first came out and it was so much fun. Our whole neighborhood spent several weeks playing it all the time.

I remember when my dad made his first telescope with a rectangular wooden enclosure for the optics, and no mirrors were available then. He had to grind the glass painstakingly over weeks, using a fine grit, then send the blank off to be silvered. It was an 8" Newtonian with an equatorial mount. He made all the gears with our lathe. I remember there was a long pole with a heavy weight at the end for a counterbalance, and when he was trying to observe sometimes I would climb that pole and wiggle the scope so he couldn't see clearly. This was back before there really were any amateur telescope makers to speak of.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Nostalgia is fun but all in all I truly prefer now over any time since I've been alive. I hope I live to see a long time into the future, as well. I'm sure things are going to keep getting better and better, and I don't want to miss all the cool stuff there will be, and how much better people's lives will be.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

A dozen virtual chocolate chip cookies for anyone who gets the reference in my first post in this thread. [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when our remote control squeaked. O_o
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Were you referring to "A Christmas Story" by any chance with the "put your eye out" line?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Nostalgia is fun but all in all I truly prefer now over any time since I've been alive. I hope I live to see a long time into the future, as well. I'm sure things are going to keep getting better and better, and I don't want to miss all the cool stuff there will be, and how much better people's lives will be.

I'm the first person to agree with a sentiment like that. It would seem to me that throughout our history (and especially the history of the last millennium) we have been moving towards an expansion of freedoms and of the quality of life of all individuals. We fall back in these areas all the time, and in some ways there are extant conditions today that are worse than extant conditions of a thousand years ago, but I think the mean quality of life across the world now has the greatest chance to continue increasing.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My grandfather used to whip up the lather and shave with his straight razor,
I still do.

I remember when we had to take all the tubes out of the TV and go to the drugstore to put the tubes in a machine that tested them to tell you which was the bad tube so you could buy a replacement. Same with the stereo, which was called a "HiFi."

I remember when cable TV was something they didn't have in big cities, because there was always a big transmitter in the city, so you could get all the channels on rabbit ears. But in smaller towns the cable company put up a huge antenna that would pull in the signals from the city, and broadcast channels were all you could get on cable.

I remember 78 rpm shellac records. I remember when 33-1/3 rpm records were 10 inches across (I still have some of them)

I remember when you could buy replacement parts for a toaster.

I remember when Paul was dead and John was alive.

I remember when the fire truck would come around each year, and all the children would get a thin plastic fire helmet, and we'd climb up on top of the fire truck, and they'd ride us around the neighborhood. Apparently our parents paid for our rides, which supported the fire department, but we didn't know that.

I remember when Modern houses were still modern.

I still have a rotary phone.

I learned to program on a thing that looked like a typewriter, where each key was an instruction, and it printed on a spool of paper like a cash register. Each line of code was one byte, and it could take up to 58 lines of code. It had separate storage registers for numbers. We would fill the registers with numbers and then print them out like:

I remember when soda cans were made of steel, and when you returned soda bottles to the store, they washed them and refilled them. You could tell, because the base of the bottle was all worn from where they bumped into each other on the conveyor belt.

I remember the first time I went into a house with air conditioning.

I remember the first time I saw a car with a stereo.

I literally walked a mile through an apple orchard (Downhill), a swamp, across a stream, across the road, through another apple orchard (uphill) to school, and back from school, in all weather including snow, floods, and a hurricane.

I remember when they didn't salt the roads, and snow got packed down on the road until it was a thick hard packed surface, and you could use a flexible flyer sled on the road or the sidewalk. And they didn't close school unless the snow was too DEEP to drive in. I remember the sound of buses driving with chains on their tires.

I remember when kids trapped raccoons or muskrats for extra cash.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Jesus, how old are you?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Were you referring to "A Christmas Story" by any chance with the "put your eye out" line?

No, but good guess! Have a cookie for a consolation prize. <gives>

I meant my post referencing the thread title that said ".... that you have the most beautiful face"

Hint: It's a song by a sweet band we saw this summer at City Stages.

xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Something scary:
Most freshmen in college this year were born in 1990.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when nostalgia used to be something really special.

They just don't make nostalgia the way they used to.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
quote:

I remember when Lew Alcindor played in the NCAA finals, and the band from Weber College (WSC was eliminated in an earler round) played pep band for the UCLA team. My silly sister got married that weekend, and I had to miss the trip.
Too bad. If you'd gone, you might have met my mom.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Jesus, how old are you?

Roughly 2000 years. The first few were the toughest.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK, that just cracked me the heck up.

Good one.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Jesus, how old are you?

Roughly 2000 years. The first few were the toughest.
It would be funny if I hadn't rolled my eyes as I was typing it, knowing that someone on Hatrack would faithfully fill in the requisite smart assed response.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's still funny.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, sure, just not to me.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my first "Computer."

Edit to add this one, it describes it better

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.