FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game 2010 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ender's Game 2010
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
Grow up, Orincoro.

And, honestly, I agree with Blayne in this situation. I'd rather EG be an incredibly good low-budget low-profile movie than a run-of-the-mill Hollywood action movie. Apparently OSC wants to change everything about Hollywood in order to make the perfect movie: mainstream, high-budget, completely controled by him, and completely faithful to the book. Of course it would be awesome it that were possible, but I'm guessing he'll end up compromising something or other along the way.

On this note they already have, the switch from the numbing pistols to some sort of hand blast Danny Phantom style, I don't know however if the studios wanting the ethnic makeout of Battleschool to resemble the US instead of the World, I recall them wanting this but I think OSC resisted it though.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:

If only Pixar could have made Firefly...

...instead of Whedon.

I agree.

[ June 01, 2009, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Dobbie ]

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
...with Whedon
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
You can't have it both ways.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Pixar a director now?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kamp101
Member # 684

- posted      Profile for kamp101   Email kamp101         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point the movie couldn't be controlled by him and faithful to the book. It needs to be made by someone who respects the original material (and has even read it recently enough to remember very basic elements about it and doesn't have to appeal to this community to have those details filled in, then write a book afterward in which the character bears little to no resemblance to the one in the first book).

OSC doesn't have the understanding or respect for the Ender's Game novel as he originally wrote it. Now he's released the new version that's compatible with the new crap books. When someone makes late stage revisionism at this scale it should seem fairly obvious what the outcome will be. EG the Book: EG The Movie = Star Wars:Fantom Mennis.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game may work better as an animated feature but as an anime it would have only niche appeal. Pass.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is Pixar a director now?
Pixar can do anything.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by kamp101:
At this point the movie couldn't be controlled by him and faithful to the book. It needs to be made by someone who respects the original material (and has even read it recently enough to remember very basic elements about it and doesn't have to appeal to this community to have those details filled in, then write a book afterward in which the character bears little to no resemblance to the one in the first book).

OSC doesn't have the understanding or respect for the Ender's Game novel as he originally wrote it. Now he's released the new version that's compatible with the new crap books. When someone makes late stage revisionism at this scale it should seem fairly obvious what the outcome will be. EG the Book: EG The Movie = Star Wars:Fantom Mennis.

This started well but ended horribly. I may not have read this alledged new revised Ender's Game but to my impression the only changes are minor such as changing the reference to 30 something Wing Commanders that made up his geesh to the 12 something it actually turns out to be and other minor details like that.

Also the books that came after were great thogh in hindsight the politics in the Shadow books seemed naive and simplistic.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Ender's Game may work better as an animated feature but as an anime it would have only niche appeal. Pass.

And how would you tell the difference between movie quality anime and whatever TV animation you've seen? Have you ever seen Spirited Away?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:

And how would you tell the difference between movie quality anime and whatever TV animation you've seen? Have you ever seen Spirited Away?
Thing is the last movie Miyazaki made with the brutal violece I think Ender's Game would need was Princess Mononoke. It seems like he's strayed from action, and instead likes to explore wistful trippy stories. Not that there is anything wrong with that I liked Howls Moving Castle, but it's sorta like asking Steven Spielberg to make movies like Jurassic Park again. It just seems like even if he was into it, he might not be able to.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I just picked an example off the top of my head.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just picked an example off the top of my head.

There aren't many other anime directors I'd trust with Ender's Game. Miyazaki tops the list and even he gives me cause to doubt.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I picked a random example of one of his movies as they have the example of an animation style I think would work perfectly. As for who we would trust to direct the movie correctly I have know idea, maybe Steven Spielberg?
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
I spent the entirety of Spirited Away wondering what I was missing. It made me feel like an outsider.
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

missing?
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It's OK, Jamio, I had the same feeling. I decided later I wasn't supposed to understand any of it.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kamp101:

This started well but ended horribly. I may not have read this alledged new revised Ender's Game but to my impression the only changes are minor such as changing the reference to 30 something Wing Commanders that made up his geesh to the 12 something it actually turns out to be and other minor details like that.

Also the books that came after were great thogh in hindsight the politics in the Shadow books seemed naive and simplistic.

Darn, I was hoping everyone would just ignore this.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
It's OK, Jamio, I had the same feeling. I decided later I wasn't supposed to understand any of it.

Maybe its because I could only find the English version but between Tv Tropes and Wikipedia I don't think I failed to catch anything about the movie, is there something in particular that comes to mind?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I've seen Spirited Away, every Studio Ghibli movie, and every piece of Japanese animation ever to get a north american theater release, and a couple of my projects for my film courses were comprehensive essays on Miyazaki's influence on western cinema / animation / etc.

Later on a kind of a throwaway essay in a sociology class about how western cultural interest in anime had peaked and was ebbing away.

There's no reason to make ender's game an anime.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

Maybe its because I could only find the English version but between Tv Tropes and Wikipedia I don't think I failed to catch anything about the movie, is there something in particular that comes to mind?
What the hell were all those creatures?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

fox spirits?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.