FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First Book Wins! Hatrack Annual Charity Drive 2010 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Book Wins! Hatrack Annual Charity Drive 2010
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
As an historic note, when we first started doing this we agreed to avoid charities affiliated with a church or political cause.

You mean politically neutral organizations like ACORN, NEA, SEIU, Rock the Vote or any group with "commuity", "social justice", "equal". "women's", "gay", "urban" or "green" in their names? Pseudonyms for democrat? [Smile] I would send my money to a truly non-partisan get out the vote organization.
I haven't noticed anyone recommending that hatrack give to one of those organizations.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
No one has nominated Free Press yet?
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Brent and I talked it over and we'd love to help with either First Book or CAI. But we wouldn't object to most of the charities listed, if it turns out to be other. [Smile]

Thanks scholarette and Lyrhawn for running the charity drive this year!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Not much change over the last few days.

Ayn Rand -4.5%
Care for Life- 4.5%
CAI- 9.1%
First Book- 50%
Heifer- 18.2%
RIF- 4.5%
St. Judes- 22.7%
United Through Reading- 18.2%

mal- nomination time is over.

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to log in to take the survey. I vote for First Book, of course, as I said I would earlier.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

I will add in your vote Kwea. Polling will be closed Sunday at 3pm. As things stand now, no runoff poll will be needed, but if things change, the runoff poll will be started at that time.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Not much change over the last few days.

Ayn Rand -4.5%
Care for Life- 4.5%
CAI- 9.1%
First Book- 50%
Heifer- 18.2%
RIF- 4.5%
St. Judes- 22.7%
United Through Reading- 18.2%

mal- nomination time is over.

I wasn't aware of the list of nominees. To be honest, Ayn Rand was a completely sarcastic nomination on my part. Any one of the organizations you've listed are completely valid in my unwanted opinion. I will contribute to whoever wins if you let me know how to contribute? I thought the list would be much longer and I am truly honored that you included my nomination. You made me feel like a part of the Hatrack family. A black sheep is better than not a sheep at all. (no sarcasm, thank you.)

[ November 29, 2009, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Lyrhawn will be in charge of setting up the contribution part, once the charity is determined. Different charities have different mechanisms, so that will mostly determine how things are done. I will be closing the voting tomorrow at 3:00pm Central time.

Ayn Rand -13.8%
Care for Life- 6.9%
CAI- 6.9%
First Book- 44.8%
Heifer- 13.8%
RIF- 6.9%
St. Judes- 20.7%
United Through Reading- 13.8%

Right now, I would not consider it needed to do a run off vote (since there are double the votes for First Book as the next highest). If it gets closer in the next 15 hours, I will do a runoff though.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Cast my vote for First Book- and if there's a link where we can be sure of our contribution being associated with Hatrack, could we post it? I think last year I did it wrong.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Lyrhawn will be in charge of setting up the contribution part, once the charity is determined. Different charities have different mechanisms, so that will mostly determine how things are done. I will be closing the voting tomorrow at 3:00pm Central time.

Ayn Rand -13.8%
Care for Life- 6.9%
CAI- 6.9%
First Book- 44.8%
Heifer- 13.8%
RIF- 6.9%
St. Judes- 20.7%
United Through Reading- 13.8%

Right now, I would not consider it needed to do a run off vote (since there are double the votes for First Book as the next highest). If it gets closer in the next 15 hours, I will do a runoff though.

Not to doubt your math but the list adds up to 127% What are the actual percentages? The sum cannot exceed 100%. Not trying to change the outcome,...first book is a fine non-partisan charity.

[ November 29, 2009, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
mal, The percentage is percentage of all voters who voted for a particular charity. Since people were allowed to vote for more than one charity, it totals to more than 100%. She noted that earlier/
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

No change in votes since last I posted. So, looks like First Book it is.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Should I start a new thread to report the running tally?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

I would start a new thread, so that you can edit the title and anything else freely.
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure -- I'll sticky that one, since all the nominating/voting is complete. Thanks both of you for organizing!

[Edit -- should probably include directions, too, rather than solely a running total in the topic. It's possible you already planned that.]

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Way ahead of you [Smile]

There are directions in the tally thread.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I love Firstbook. I think we've done them more often than any other charity.

By the way, thanks for volunteering, scholarette and Lyrhawn.

My second favorite is Central Asia Institute, the organization of Greg Mortenson who builds schools in remote regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan with particular emphasis on educating girls. Of course the best selling book "Three Cups of Tea" describes how he came to do that. It's an amazing story.

Here's CAI's website.

Greg Mortenson is going to be on BookTV (CSPAN2) Sunday night at 9.
Link

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.