FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the emoticon-users among us.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: For the emoticon-users among us....
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ic- do you really not know how to spell nauvoo or what that... what was it? Pat dissed Nauvoo, I think it was in the religiousness and friendship thread, and I think Hatrack is a good place for Mormons living in Utah. For Mormons not living in Utah, Nauvoo can be good. Even though I live in Utah, I grew up outside and can enjoy Nauvoo. Though I haven't been spending much time there, as I was post-count Whoring here.

Just 'cause something doesn't float your boat doesn't make it evil. I guess that's all many of us have been trying to say. Getting a wedgie about it and putting other forums down is like pride/nationalism.

Edit: Ic, I don't meant to presume you are a mormon living in Utah. That was based on Pat's comments. Pat also works at the Des News. Try living in a downtown neighborhood for 11 years. That will diversify your brain.

[ November 24, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
pssst, pooka! He was joking.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but it's downtown SLC. Does that count?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

[Sarcastic response suppressed]

Pooka, you really have misinterpreted my point. In fact, you have interpreted it to be the precise opposite of what I was saying.

Was I unclear--though I really had thought I had been clear--or did you just glance at my post? I'm asking because I can always edit my post to make it clearer.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought your post was mighty lame, that's all.

[The Wave]

[ November 24, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm new around here so my opinion may not
mean much but I have to respond.

You are missing the point. Everyone wants you to respond, we value you response, Your response is what we want, just because you have less than 1500 post does not mean that your opinion is pointless noise ignored by the rest of us.

Reply, do it often and with more content than

(((<Thread Starter>))))

While post like that maybe fun, like masturbation to much of anything insipid and meaningless is not good for you.

quote:

I find it interesting that the person who is doing all the complaining about "serious" threads being in jeopardy would post a profile like this.

Eddie has never said that he dislikes jokes, hates them want them all to go away. His problem (and correct if I am incorrect ed) is that the shear number of jokes and meaningless fluf has overwhelmed any intellectual enjoyment that is possible here.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Just another voice in the crowd...

I guess it should be obvious from my member number that I'm not a Hatrack old-timer. By the time I showed up here, there were too many people to know everyone, and things now are much the same. But, to my (then) outside eyes, there was a certain core of regulars, maybe fifty or a hundred, who posted way more than anyone else, who really defined the community. To me, anyway. And I wanted to be one of those people.

These days it's not like that anymore. It was inevitable, really. A place like this can, does, and must attract new members, and as that happens, there will be more and more new regulars. And given that the rate of growth seems to far exceed the rate of attrition (which speaks to the broad appeal of the forum), the character and dynamic of the community changes. And that must be a good thing, because if this weren't a great place, it wouldn't grow so quickly.

Still, I find myself becoming more and more disenfranchised with Hatrack. I miss the old days. Isn't it ironic? I haven't even been here long enough for there to have been "old days" in my time, and I still use that term. I've been as prolific a fluff-poster as the next guy, so I can't be too critical without becoming hypocritical, but I am finding myself less and less interested in the fluff these days. There aren't any Ralphies or Pats or even Jon Boys these days. Not even Ralphie, Pat or Jon Boy.

And that gets to the heart of my sadness with the New Hatrack. My memory of my Hatrack youth is a memory of synergy. The fluff-oriented posters were funny, and that gave other people the opportunity to be funny. It gave me a chance to be funny. It was like a big sparkling chain reaction. I don't see that now. I don't feel it. I don't have the same opportunities to build off of other people, and so I don't have the same opportunity to grow. So I'm less than I once was. And there's no way that I can be happy about that.

Still, change is inevitable, and rather than sighing about what once was, I'd be better off trying to find the best of what there is now, and being happy about that. I suppose if that fails, I can always retreat into the swamps of Sakeriver and hope that things go better over there.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*sigh*

The battle lines are drawn. Clearly, I posted for naught.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You are missing the point. Everyone wants you to respond, we value you response,
Although I agree that most people may believe this I have noticed there are a number of "old timers" here who believe that their post counts makes them something special and that until you can match their count your opinion is not all that important. Fortunately, the opinion of self important people rarely bother me or stop me from stating my mind.

quote:
Eddie has never said that he dislikes jokes, hates them want them all to go away. His problem (and correct if I am incorrect ed) is that the shear number of jokes and meaningless fluf has overwhelmed any intellectual enjoyment that is possible here.
My point was that it was obvious that he has a sense of humor and that in having that he should allow for others to enjoy themselves how they see fit. I personally find most of the smilies to be annoying but oh well. If you are concerned about only engaging in meaningful conversation then only go to the topics that look interesting to you. It is easy to figure out if the thread is going to be worth a crap or not. This is a big forum with room for many different types of people. [Smile]
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I miss my photoshop threads. Those were good times.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Pat were you replying to me?

Were you joking?

[Confused]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Although I agree that most people may believe this I have noticed there are a number of 'old timers' here who believe that their post counts makes them something special and that until you can match their count your opinion is not all that important."

Really? I'll give you ten bucks if you can name one.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be that one, if you'll give me a cut of Tom's $$.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Sorry to break the news to you Tom but in my short time here at the Forums you have not exactly come across as the winner of the nice guy of the year award. Maybe it's just me who has noticed this but sadly I doubt it.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat, I'm not even in competition. But if you resent the fact that I am in all ways your natural superior, please keep it to yourself. [Wink] j/k
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Tom, that has actually got to be the first funny thing I have seen you post. [Smile]

But I must say it would be very difficult for you to be my superior in hair loss. For a man my age I am definately above average!

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen anyone pull out the old-timer card for anything other than a joke.

There are many old-timers that make definitive statements and expect them to be believed - is this what you are referring to? That's not a function of seniority, though. Those people were obnoxious from the beginning. [Wink]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those people were obnoxious from the beginning.
That was a pretty definitive statement.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Why does everyone have to be nice to be a valuable member of this community??

Seriously, everyone is going to find someone that causes some strong disagreement, and lack of niceness (hint: it usually is due to the political stances involved). Yet they still contribute to the board.

I mean, take Icarus for instance! [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Icarus -- it was pointed at you, and yes, it was an attempt at humor.

Look guys, Hatrack is what Hatrack is. At one time I had hoped it was more than a passing fad in my life, that it was more than a silly internet site I came to to entertain myself in the presence of others. The people here seemed more real than anywhere else, and the conversations reflected that. It was the only place where I could talk about abortion, then post in a two-word thread. Smilies were for emphasis, not the entire conversation.

But it's natural that the demographic has changed, and while it's sad for the codgers, it's absolutely exciting for the newbies, and I say, more power to them. Let them have something that we built. Let them make it into their Hatrack.

It's like High School, in some ways. There comes a time that you move on, yet have great memories of what were great times.

And come back for reunions every once in a while.

(And by the way, I still have more posts on my Patrick login than my Pat login. I have always thought that striving for a high post count was Lame.)

[ November 24, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Tom, that has actually got to be the first funny thing I have seen you post."

Now THIS depresses me.
I mean, sure, call me egotistical, and my colossal ego allows me to just brush it off. Say I'm illogical, or rude, or brash, or domineering, and I'll roll my eyes and walk away.

But I'm not FUNNY? *blink* Not FUNNY?
Sheesh. Kids today.

pooka
Member # 5003

Sorry to take your name in vain so profusely, Pat, but it was in response someone else invoking it. If you read my landmark you might get an inkling why I've always been hypersensitive to your omnipresence.

So were the multiple personalities from before or after you (Pat) gave up on Hatrack as a meaningful pasttime?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's ok, Tom. Why, you were funny just the other day . . . or maybe it was the beginning of last week?

*wanders off to sift thru old posts*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was not the first to notice that Tom wasn't funny. [Smile]

And Tom, I am not a kid.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

If you haven't noticed Tom's brilliant sense of humor, you're not looking hard enough.

And pooka, to which thread are you talking?

[ November 24, 2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, part of me wants to point out the whole "kids today" thing that piqued msquared -- who doesn't think I'm funny -- was actually meant as a joke, but I remember this one thread where I spent, like, two pages trying to explain humor to Jettboy. So I won't. *laugh*
Pat
Member # 879

**remembers that thread**
msquared
Member # 4484

Tom

I know you meant it as a joke. I can usually tell when you are trying to joke. But as with the humor of Carrot Top, they just aren't funny.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

msquared --

Now you're just being a troll. Hopefully you're kidding.

msquared
Member # 4484

Pat

This is my opinion. I do not find Tom's jokes funny. I see him trying to be funny, but I never laugh at his jokes.

I like to think I have a pretty good sense of humor, but there are some comediens I do not find funny. Carrot Top is one. That Emo guy was one. For the longest time Bobcat Goldwaith was one. Gilbert Godfried was one.

Sorry, but I don't find Tom as funny as he thinks he is.

msquared

saxon75
Member # 4589

Yeah, and let's not forget that he's the head of the Secret Liberal Cabal.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I figured you were joking. It's just that I don't know you well enough to always be sure. Like Lalo can say something completely scathing and I'll know he's joking. Same goes for Bob or Ralphie or somebody like that. So don't take it the wrong way if I sometimes ask just to be sure. Don't think I'm offended--it just means I don't yet grok your humor well enough to always know when it's humor.

Of course, it seems like you're virtually always joking, but you know how some people joke but they're still serious at the same time . . . what I haven't learned about you is when you really mean your jokes and when you don't.

Oh, and the "battle lines" post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at Pooka, who apparently still hasn't read my post and seen that I didn't mean what she thought I meant. I feel like she's already decided I'm with the other "camp" and dismissed what I said.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever thought to compare Tom's brand of humor with Carrot Top or Gilbert Gottfried. Maybe Emo, but...
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

And let me just say how disturbed I was to see myself in Lalo's profile . . .

[Angst]

pooka
Member # 5003

If Tom were not presumed to be a male, his humor would be considered *itchy. This is part of why women are more likely to vote democrat and avoid fora such as ornery. To be assertive is to be dismissed as a *itch. (I am discussing the problem of the use of *itch, not calling anyone that). So yes, Tom is funny. Just not when he (we assume it's a he) is talking about you.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I want my ten dollars-- I belittled Noemon in the 'Mistakal Symbolancy' thread for not having a post count as high as mine.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I am not saying that his humor is like those people, just that my response at his attempts at humor is the same. None.

msquared

katharina
Member # 827

It is true. One of the most mysoginistic attitudes I've ever encountered - that men are ornery, but women are witchy.
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those people were obnoxious from the beginning.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was a pretty definitive statement.

*pat pat* That was the joke, zan.

I suppose women have the choice of either couching their words and being very careful and holding everyone's hand, or they can talk like the guys.

It really bothers me when some of the very intelligent women on this board and in the world apologize three ways to Sunday for expressing an opinion. I've noticed that some of the female BYUers do it, and I didn't understand why until I was dismissed and dressed down for something that a guy would be praised for. Gender had abosolutely nothing to with the topic; I was greatly offended that it had something to do with the response.

*shrug* I am concious of not placing the disclaimer phrases in what I say and write. Rather, to include only the honest disclaimers - the ones where I am very uncertain of what I am saying. The problem of not being honest in interaction is the feedback you recieve is addressed and pertinent to an imaginary creation. Now there's a great way to feel disconnected from the discourse.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

quote:
If you read my landmark you might get an inkling why I've always been hypersensitive to your omnipresence.
So were the multiple personalities from before or after you (Pat) gave up on Hatrack as a meaningful pasttime?

Omnipresence? [Confused]

And yes, I've given up the whole multiple personality thing. I literally have not had access to them for over six months now. Except Trogdor. I still claim Trogdor. All the rest are dead.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*whispers* Don't give Scott the money! He'll buy tomatoes with it! [Angst]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I must be posting in dog years, then because I've only been around for eight months. But as for my question, was that before or after you "gave up" on hatrack? I'm still in the "give up" as in "cold turkey" phase of my hatrack romance.
Pat
Member # 879

I never said I've given up on Hatrack. I said I think it's passing me by, and that that's my fault if that is happening.

Listen, I don't want to sit here and whine about how I long for the good ole days. I always hated it when I saw other people do it, and I have no intention of doing it any more.

I'm not leaving anytime soon.

katharina
Member # 827

Pat, I'm glad you're here. I think I really, really needed Hatrack for a little bit. For whatever reason, I needed a place to interact with Mormon guys who weren't either courting me or rejecting me offhand as an example of what not to be. Sort of a place to figure out what that meant without needing to carefully set in place my defenses.

I don't need it now, but I still love it here. It's a little slice of my world, and I'd no more permanently leave Hatrack than I would toss out my favorite childhood books.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Tom is "assertive?" When did that happen? We're talking about the same dude who ends half of his posts with "j/k" to be sure you get it if he's kidding.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
If Tom isn't funny, then neither am I.

[insert big freakin' deliberately slow completely un-sly wink]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
A good rule of thumb for me has been to think of Hatrack as sort of the Cards' "other" living room. (I'm betting their real living room is both more interesting in decor and has nice, tasty snacks laying about. If that's not true, then don't disillusion me. [Big Grin] )

There will be some youngsters running around and acting goofy, some romantic broken hearts pining in the corner, some geezers discussing their arthritis, and what have you. Someone is bound to be spouting some polemic over the salad course, and hopefully we all get blessed here and there by the various clergy/members of the represented religious orders.

It wouldn't occur to me to protest that the other guests were boring me or that their jokes weren't funny. I might decline an invitation to another dinner party, but that that's why they are invitations instead of compulsions. And then, if it were a large party and not easy to monitor carefully, I'd try to deal myself with Uncle Ernie's inebriated disrobing and/or Cousin Piperrete's overly salacious "adult bedtime stories" (which really aren't suitable for the wide-eyed toddlers in front). Same thing for stepping in when someone gets way out of line, such as metaphorically spitting in another visitor's face. Or when someone insults another's race, religion, or whatnot.

But you know, that's sort of my job as a grownup visitor. As far as improving the general tone and quality of the discussion, I prefer to lead by example. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

[ November 24, 2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I attended a wedding a few weeks ago that was much much worse than any Hatrack thread I have ever been in.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
CT-

Has anyone told you today, that you are totally awesome?

If not, let me just say, "CT- You are totally awesome!"

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
(Duh, of course CT is the best. We decided that long ago - you'd know that if you had a higher post count [Roll Eyes] )

I, for one, am extremely glad this site is not some kind of intellectual community of massively long posts littered with references and footnotes. Sounds like reading abridged academic journal debates. Wheeee! Seriously, I think that the great thing about the serious discussions is that it's more like having a bunch of intelligent and informed people sitting around at a dinner party and having a conversation. Everyone has a pretty good grasp of what's going on but most of them don't agree. Sometimes, someone mentions a specific source but most of the time it's really just good conversation about an issue or three. I would have left Hatrack long ago if it was a dry, boring series of essay-length dissertations.

And msquared, I'm sure that your strong bias against Tom has nothing do with the fact that you think he's not funny... [Roll Eyes] It's not like you ever miss an opportunity for a bit of character assassination or anything.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.