FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Name the Baby! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Name the Baby!
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, exotic names also have the job-application advantage of not giving away your race on your resume. My last name is pretty WASPy, but I still meet plenty of people who are surprised that I'm white. I think it's a great advantage, making people think they're getting a cool minority instead of boring old blonde-haired me. [Smile]

Edit: AND it's androgynous! What more could you want? [Big Grin]

[ February 06, 2004, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Ayelar ]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Danielle is androgenous? I suppose you could call her Dan. Generally I don't care much for giving children names from the opposite gender. One of my guy friends is named Sasha. How could his parents do that to him?
"If I ever have a son, I think I'm going to name him, Bill or George, anything but Sue!"
Actually, I know a girl name Tristan and I kind of like that as a girl's name. Although, it sounds a little awkward paired with Davidson.

Tell Laura, I love her
Tell Laura, I need her
Tell Laura, Not to cry
My love for her, will never die

(voted sappiest song ever)

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the name Ariel (lioness of God, one of the best meaning ever)
Actually, it's lion of God, and it's (originally) a boy's name. Ariella is the feminine form.

Oh, and if you like Elizabeth but want to put a slightly more unique spin on it, my aunt Libby's given name is Lisbeth.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
checkerspot
Member # 6179

- posted      Profile for checkerspot           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know there are many Sarahs and Saras here at hatrack, but I don't think it has quite been Emily-d to death yet
oooooh yes it has. I hate being one. i have vowed that my child shall have a really unique name. i already know what i want, but i'm not sharing. [Smile]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Sonora Kate the name of the girl that becomes bline who rides the diving horses in Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
<---a fan of any name that includes Kate
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea about Sonora Kate being from anywhere. *shrug*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My last name is pretty WASPy, but I still meet plenty of people who are surprised that I'm white.
That used to happen to me, in a differnt way. My full given name is Kira Marie Gardner, which is as WASPy as they come, especially for a Jewish girl. I would get the oddest looks when signing up for JSU events in college.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet you would probably like Wild Hearts Can't be Broken It is a bit of a chick flick, and a tearjerker at the end, though it is a happy ending.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800164203&intl=us

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend the name Natalie [Smile]

[ February 06, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna- Cool! [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Danielle is androgenous? I suppose you could call her Dan. Generally I don't care much for giving children names from the opposite gender. One of my guy friends is named Sasha. How could his parents do that to him?
I take it you don't know many Europeans Bob.

My recommendation: Give her a name with meaning. Either a family name, a place name or just a name with a cool origin and meaning.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and if you like Elizabeth but want to put a slightly more unique spin on it, my aunt Libby's given name is Lisbeth.
Oh, or Elspeth, I had a babysitter when I was like 6 whose name was Elspeth...

I had a really long post responding to a whole bunch of stuff in this thread a few days ago but for some reason it didn't post. I'm too lazy to try to remember what I said so I'l ljsut submit my vote.

I like Rose, Rosemary, any nature names really: I know a Sorrel, a Holly, a Rosemary, and I think their names are really pretty. (btw, the Holly's last name is Davison so while that isn't close enough to harley to warrant teasing I think that Halley definatly is.)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Rebecca best, however Rebecca or Rose Elizabeth Davidson spells "RED", but you may like that.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the point, Rabbit. If you know the society you're in, which they did (both his parents being born in Canada) it seems unkind to name your child a name that you know is going to get them teased mercilessly. For instance, a boy named Sasha in rural Nova Scotia. Or, if your last name really *was* (is?) Rabbit, would you name your son Peter? (another kid I know)
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL-

??Dan??
Danielle is androgenous in it's shortened versions. One of my best friends in college was Dani; sometimes called Dana.

I like boyish names for girls: Bobbi, Dani, Toni, Jeri, Terri, Jessie, Jordan, Tyler, etc.

Though I agree that it's tough to stick a boy with a feminine sounding name. It's much better to name males after trucks or truck parts: Axle, Gage, Ford, Gear and Fender will never be mistaken for quiche eatin' girly men.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should sell the naming rights to the highest bidder. Imagine, your child could be named something like:

OfficeMax Davidson!!!

And you could pocket a nice chunk o' change.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rebecca is still very high on our list and actually Rebecca Rose. I like Becca more than Becky, but don't mind either.

I like Elspeth and Lisbeth as well for derivations of Elizabeth (but am doubting that Tom will). Ella and Beth are great nicknames. I'm not so fond of Liz, though. I'm also fond of Bethy [Blushing]

I really like Sophia (and Sophia Rose) as suggested, but am worried that the name sounds a bit too Greek/Italian. We'd most likely call her Sophie, though, so I'm not sure.

Names I've found and liked now that I've looked a bit more through baby name sites:

Kaitlyn (Katelyn)
Erin
Theresia (Therese, Tess)
Sophie
Kiele, Kailey
Ella, Ellie, Emma

Tom approves of: Caitlyn, Erin, Kaley, Emma, and Sophie
(With a few spelling negotiations apparently *grin*)

Peekmouse is of course my ultimate favorite [Wink]

The Social Security Office has a listing of the most popular names by year.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.