FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Race is On: Best Chick Flick of all time (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Race is On: Best Chick Flick of all time
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Out of curiosity, Annie, where will you be running the actual poll?
[Dont Know]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The poll can be run at my site if you guys think it would interrupt the sci-fi authors stuff too much.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh

Ten Things I Hate About You.

I am a guy, yes. But it was great. Me and my gf, Naomi watched it for the first time together and she was crying by the end and i used that moment to propose.
So i owe my upcoming marriage to that movie.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
And why would you cry at the end of that movie? It's a comedy. I'm still holding out for Red Dawn.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

Oh hey, has anybody seen the french film:
Amelie
?
It's a GREAT movie and should DEFINATELY be added.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Through my movie choices, I think this thread proves that I am way more in touch with my feminine side than any other man on this forum. In fact, I'm touching it even as I'm typing this.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

O.O

*turns head and looks out the window at..... something*

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
Red Dawn
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Red Dawn, now it must be added.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
If no one has done it yet, I'll second Bend It Like Beckham. I want to add Orlando and Valmont to the list. Oh, and Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Did I miss a nomination for "Shakespeare in Love"? I will do it!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Shakespeare In Love.

"Write me well/Will."

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Actually, I think saxon75 and I would love to have more polls over there.

At least I don't have a problem with it. It's a great site to poll at! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Then let me be the first to say...right on!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I had planned to run the poll at highfantastical (the ultimate in fluff forums), but if anyone wants trafiic boosters at their site, I can be bought.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Not only do I nearly always love extra traffic at sakeriver, but I think that the "Popular Culture" forum there would be particularly well-suited to this type of poll. Especially given the fact that I'm so into movies.

On the other hand, I don't really like to compete against other jatraqueros, and I wouldn't want to feel like I was stealing people away from other satellite forums. I mean, it damn near broke my heart when people started abandoning me in droves to go worship Jon Boy.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not do it at Saxon75's site? You know he loves visitors. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Almost as much as I love sandwiches.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Can do. Sarah never answered me back anyway.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And in any case, Mike kind of called it by asking the question, didn't he?

You need to come up with some new angle to draw the people in Mike! Jon Boy has the whole linguistics thing going--I say you play to your existing strengths and make it more role playing oriented. Add an actual link to the character creation tools and character sheets, add a link to the various campaigns on the menu page, that sort of thing. It's so geeky it just might work!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't beleive that Dirty Dancing, My Best Friend's Wedding, and Erin Brokovitch haven't been mentioned. So I nominate all three.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Well, the character creation tools still aren't done yet. And as for the rest... From time to time I toy with the idea of putting links up on the front page, but I'm still too much in denial of my nerdity to really own it and proclaim it to the world. Well, not so much that I'm in denial of it as the fact that I don't know that I'm really willing to showcase that side of me to the family members and friends that I know stop by my site from time to time.
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, to really throw this thread for a diversion...

what happened to the campaign? A couple of my emails weren't getting through, and there was a talk of a fix... but it looks like we all forgot to start back up?

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
How has The Sound of Music escaped notice until now? In fact, has anyone mentioned a musical, other than Strictly Ballroom? I love both of those. Although I'm not personally as big a fan, I must also add West Side Story and Fiddler on the Roof for the sake of musical chick-flick completeness.

And I'd like to think A Fish Called Wanda could find a place. It's not a natural fit into the category. But it's got many chick-flickish elements, and it's brilliant, so that should make up for any partial genre incompatibility.

Although it had many guy-appealing qualities, the chick-flick elements of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon were some of the best ever made.

Also, the love story in Life Is Beautiful is... beautiful. And it has the benefit of being a foreign film, Italian no less, which is definitely a chick characteristic.

Have I missed something, or did Hatrack have a collective brain hemmorrhage and forget to include Gone With the Wind?

Pillow Talk is perhaps the archetype of female-oriented sex-farce comedies, and it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

This is probably just a me-and-the-wife thing, and I'm sure I'll be laughed to scorn for admitting this, but I quite liked Blast From the Past.

My wife would kill me if I didn't include My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

I loved both versions of The Parent Trap.

And while I'm here, I'd like to second Return to Me, The Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally.

That's all... for now.

[ August 25, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Speed 2: Cruise Control ]

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Matt is on vacation for a bit, which is why things are on hold.

(Given Annie's enthusiasm for RPG threads over at sakeriver I can only guess at how thrilled she must be at this little side conversation.)

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Love, Actually. And 'I'll nominate Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?'
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] I think that she's secretly delighted by all things role playing. I'm sure that despite any protestations to the contrary, she'd be absolutely delighted to see this become a role playing thread.

C'mon Mike, free your inner-geek! I'll bet most of your relatives can hear him rattling the bars of his cage anyway. Well, that's what they think they're hearing. You and I both know it's his dice.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Very suprised neither Sabrina nor Breakfast at Tiffany's have been nominated.

Kudos to Speed 2:Cruise Control for Pillow Talk, I would have overlooked it. On the other hand, the actual movie, Speed 2:Cruise Control, is one of the 10 worst rated by women over at IMDB Sorry [Razz]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right. That movie sucked. Perhaps I should have gone with my backup choices for screennames, like Gigli or Catwoman. That'd shut you up. [Wink]

[ August 25, 2004, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Speed 2: Cruise Control ]

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I will second Runaway Bride, Four Weddings, Titanic, Ghost, and Sound of Music.

And I will add What Women Want, Yentl, Sabrina (the Harrison Ford one), and City of Angels.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second City of Angels and What Women Want.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] if only i had checked my forum...
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if Sabrina was gonna pop up. If Zamphyr nominated it, I second. Otherwise, I nominate it.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my freakin' stars, City of Angels is *such* a chickflick. [Wink]

My feminine side wanted to keep watching it on some level while the rest of me mocked.

Edit: Actually, any movie with Meg Ryan in it is doomed to be a chickflick. Her and her cutsie little nose-wrinkle thingy....

[ August 25, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Wasn't she in some boxing movie recently?
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
**** spoiler for city of angels *****
did anyone else freak out when he took the shower? I was SO sure that he was going to get severe burns and die from the shower.
** done with mini spoiler.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Sabrina, but I'm afraid it'll have to be the Harrison Ford remake. I'm usually not a remake fan, but I find him soooooo much more appealing than Humphrey Bogart in the same role (though I think Audrey Hepburn was better in the title role).

As for the call for films that appeal to both men and women, ...geez, guys, that's just not what chick flicks are! Chick flicks are movies that give women their fix of romance that the men in their lives aren't providing! To me, the main plot has to revolve around romance for it to be a chick flick. Thus, The American President and The Wedding Singer qualify, but Romancing the Stone does not (though I could be wrong, because I haven't seen that movie in ages).

Oh, how about Persuasion? I don't recall seeing it on the list, but it should be. I cannot, in good conscience, agree with the Mansfield Park nomination, though, because it was sooo different from the book.

[ August 25, 2004, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

OK, here's the list, open for another couple hours:

10 Things I Hate About You*
Coyote Ugly*
The Cutting Edge*
Stricly Ballroom*
While You Were Sleeping*
Say Anything*
Amelie*
You've Got Mail*
Return to Me*
Pretty Woman*
Thomas Crown Affair
Sleepless in Seattle*
Love Actually*
French Kiss*
Notting Hill*
Nurse Betty
Joe vs. The Volcano
The Wedding Singer*
Romancing The Stone*
The Princess Bride*
Thelma and Louise*
Miss Congeniality*
Runaway Bride*
Freaky Friday
Steel Magnolias*
Fried Green Tomatoes*
Bridget Jones's Diary*
Little Women*
When Harry Met Sally*
The Piano
Whale Rider
Heathers
Forget Paris
Pride & Prejudice (A&E version)*
Sense & Sensibility
A Walk to Remember
Chocolat
Contact
An Affair to Remember*
The Shop Around the Corner* (these two get default inclusion status)
Beloved
Bend it Like Beckham*
Four Weddings and a Funeral*
Love Affair (1994)
Titanic*
Grease
Ghost*
Beaches
Orlando
Valmont
Shakespeare in Love*
Dirty Dancing
My Best Friend's Wedding
Erin Brockovich
My Big Fat Greek Wedding*
The Sound of Music*
West Side Story*
Fiddler on the Roof
A Fish Called Wanda
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Life is Beautiful
Gone With the Wind*
Pillow Talk*
Blast From the Past* (I seconded that. I like it.)
The Parent Trap
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Sabrina (1997)*
Breakfast at Tiffany's
What Women Want*
Yentl
City of Angels*
Persuasion

saxon75
Member # 4589

Personally, I liked the original Sabrina better than the remake, but that's just me.
eslaine
Member # 5433

quote:
I'm blatantly stealing Eslaine's polling format...
I had a format? [Dont Know]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are two ways people are interpreting the question.

Some are pretty clearly aiming for the best movie that is also a chick flick, while others are aiming for the movie that best exemplifies chick flick-ness. While these may coincide, I submit that they are unlikely to. For instance, while I think many would agree City of Angels is an excellent movie (as I do), its not the most chick flick-y by any means.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I would reverse that, fugu. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

Me too. I hated that movie. Did Nicholas Cage ever use his vocal cords in that whole film?

[deep throaty whisper]what does a pear taste like to you?[/whisper]

Annie
Member # 295

City of Angels was neither good nor chick-flicky. It was a blatant ripoff of Wim Wenders with no good cuteness or loveyness or anything. Grrr.
Corwin
Member # 5705

I haven't seen Wim Wenders, so I can't really say how much it influenced City of Angels. But I usually don't care if a movie is a remake or not. As long as I like it, who cares if it's original or not ?!

And also, the fact that I seconded City of Angels doesn't mean I think it's very 'chick-flick'-y - it is a little though, IMO - but that I thought there would be people that are going to vote for it. So why not offer them the occasion ? It's not like if there's the option, everyone will go for it...

And it's a GREAT movie !!

(or maybe the fact that I'm both a Cage & Meg Ryan fan has something to do with it?!)

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Wenders is a German director whose films you'd probably really like, Corwin. If you get a chance, I'd recommend Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close.
Corwin
Member # 5705

[Embarrassed] I had no way of knowing that though...

I've imdb-ed the two movies and they have good ratings, especially the first one. Also, after reading a little about them, I can see why you say that City of Angels is a ripoff. Oh well... [Dont Know]

Anyway, I'll add them on my 'to-see' list, thanks Annie.

Annie
Member # 295

No prob, Corwin [Smile]

LAST CALL for nominations/seconds. You all have about 5 minutes.

Turgan
Member # 6697

TERMINATOR! AND TERMINATOR 2!!!!
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.