FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What should I do with all my rhubarb? (Pictures on page 2!) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What should I do with all my rhubarb? (Pictures on page 2!)
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Katie... you serious? I could chop it, put it in ziplock baggies, and fill a priority mail flat rate box with it. It would probably still be good when it got to you. Same goes for you, actually, rivka. I've got plenty.

I had a piece of the tart for breakfast. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooooh! Me, too! I want some!

If it would be cheaper to fill a big box than two little ones, I'll split the cost of one bigger box with Katie.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Depends on how much you guys want, I guess. I've got an awful lot.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I want as much as you want to send me!

Rhubarb pie is my favorite dessert.

In fact, I was just saying to Jeff that I want it for my birthday instead of cake, but I haven't seen it anywhere here. [Frown]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Let's see how much Katie thinks she wants, and then I'll check out shipping options. [Smile] I would probably pick and chop it Sunday after AJ leaves and mail it Monday morning, that way it would go straight there and not have the chance of sitting in a post office Sunday and wasting a day of freshness.
ElJay
Member # 6358

When is your birthday?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

May21. But in my family, we've always been flexible on dates; I'm fine with next week. The only potential problem is that we'll be at DallasCon from Fri. the 27th through that Mon.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's May 31st, I think. [Smile]

Okay, it just occurred to me that I might be able to get fresh rubarb at the farmer's market downtown. I would love some of ElJay's, but that could be much easier. I can check this Saturday.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmm. If I can get to the post office today and pick up a box, send it tomorrow morning before my allergy shot, it will get there either Saturday or Monday. Otherwise, if I send it on Monday, you would get it Wednesday or Thursday, which is pushing it awful close to DallasCon time. Or we could just wait until after DallasCon, of course, there will still be rhubarb for weeks.

Regardless, you will get rhubarb. [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Ah... Farmer's Market rhubarb is probably more cost-effective. Why don't you check that out, and if no then I'll send.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Kiss] Thank you! Rivka will be at DallasCon, too, until Sun., so if you don't get it out this week, it might be better to wait until after.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Assuming she really wants to pay priority mail shipping for rhubarb from Minnesota. She might not be that silly. Unlike some people I could mention. Or she might have found it at the store. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Store rhubarb here is $2-$3 a lb. and different, as explained before.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Plus, by the time it gets to the store, half of it is dried out and bruised, and you have to pick through it to find the good stuff.

Probably the Farmers' Market stuff would be better, but I never make it there.

ElJay
Member # 6358

"Flat rate boxes are $7.70 and are available in two convenient sizes, 11" x 8.5" x 5.5" and 13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375"; maximum weight is 70 lbs."

That's for Priority mail, 2 - 3 day delivery.

"Box dimensions are 12.5" x 15.5" x 3"; maximum weight is 70 lbs.

The fastest way to send packages that need to be there in a hurry, at rates starting at $13.65.

Next-day delivery is guaranteed by noon or 3 p.m. to many U.S. destinations, or your money back."

That's for Express mail, and I know from experience that when it says "many destinations" they check by zip code, and if your destination isn't one of them than it's 2 - 3 days, same as priority.

The volume of those boxes is, respectively, 514.25, 546.06, and 581.25 cubic inches. I think I could fill any of them with chopped rhubarb and put it in the mail pretty much any time you'd like. I don't know how much it would be pound-wise, but the priority option at least would probably be cheaper than buying it, and since you say it's different the point is kinda moot anyway.

*laugh* This is silly, but amusing.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm a bit concerned how it's going to do chopped and sealed in plastic by not refrigerated. I'd rather send it in stalks cut to the length of the box, but then I won't be able to fit as much in.
katharina
Member # 827

KQ, do you want to come to the Farmer's Market with me this Saturday?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

How about stalks cut to the length of the ziplock?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Katie, I would, but I don't know if it will work.

What time would you want to go?

ElJay
Member # 6358

That might work. That way if the ends start to go bad, you can just cut them off and still have quite a bit of rhubarby goodness. I won't be able to fit as much as if I chop it, still, but I should be able to get quite a bit in. (As you can see from the pictures, the stalks are no where near straight, so they won't just neatly stack next to each other with no air room in between.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The ends in the stores are usually bad anyway, so I'm used to it. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

I'm probably/possibly having lunch with a friend around noon, but I can go before or after.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. After would probably work, because Emma sleeps in, gets up for two hours, and then needs a nap around noon. She gets up between 1 and 1:30.
katharina
Member # 827

So, after then? I try to go to lunch around noon, so is 2:30 too late to come by?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

2:30 would probably work. Call me when you're done; if Emma's having an okay day, we'll do it.

I think by the end of this week we'll be able to put her front-facing in the car, so that will be much easier.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just realized that's my birthday!

But Jeff is working anyway, so it won't matter. *shrugs*

Makerofthings
Member # 3979

- posted      Profile for Makerofthings   Email Makerofthings         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay,

What a spectacular photo essay! You are a rhubarb goddess.

BTW, people, rhubarb acctually ships great. I have my people ship it from Wisconsin to me in Virginia where it is too warm and humid to grow well.

Just the staulks,wrapin newspaper and box it. Since rhubarb is actually pretty dry,it will be fine a couple days in the mail.

I have some rhubarb cobbler at the shop right now.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
This is too funny!

"Hello, I'm desperate for rhubarb. Please mail me some from thousands of miles away." [ROFL]

Actually, it sounds a little like me. [Angst]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* I am not as insane as Katie, apparently. I have long suspected . . . [Wink]

Checking farmers' markets is a very good notion. There's one I could possibly check out tomorrow afternoon. *muses*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
So does anybody want some rhubarb? Between our patch and the next door neighbour's, we have every year about ten times what we can handle. I wish I could uproot the stupid thing, it drives me nuts, messing up the tigerlily patch.

Edit: I'm not a huge rhubarb fan, can you tell?

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
For JNSB.

<Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham> Ohhh myyyy...</Susan Sarandon>

Well, I certainly can't post that on the rhubarb fetishists' website! Some of them have heart conditions!

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
EL, have you thought about posting notices in your neighborhood? "Free rhubarb to a good home" or something to that effect. I'm willing to bet you'd get it taken off your hands PDQ.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

ElJay, do you have PayPal? I'll send you shipping as soon as you know how much. [Big Grin]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
So, ElJay - if I sent you a cashier's check for priority mail, could I get a box for June 22? Nathan LOVES rhubarb - and it would be a cool end-of-school-year/good job sorta surprise.

Rhubarb here goes for a minimum of $2.99 a pound right now, and the poor little tyke keeps trying to grow his own rather unsucessfully.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Makerofthings, thanks! I had fun. [Smile]

JNSB, sure... I go through all the trouble of taking the picture for you, and I don't even get to be on the rhubarb fetishist's site? Hmpf.

kq, I'm sorry, I don't have paypal. Also, I need your address... you still have my email addy from the send Annie to Hobbes thing?

Shan, I think that could be arranged... That shouldn't be too far into the season, my only concern is that rhubarb is best in the spring. Ooooh, and I'll be traveling the weekend of June 18, how about I send it just before I leave? You may have to remind me that week...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm, no paypal? Okay... Guess that means a trip to the bank, then. [Smile]

I don't have your e-mail, either. How about you e-mail me, and I'll bounce back a response with my addy. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

You're so wonderful, ElJay! Shall I e-mail you for where to send the money?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Please e-mail me so I can e-mail you. [Smile]

Unless that feature actually works now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*bumpity*
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sorry, I've been afk most of the day... I'll email you both when I get home tonight. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

thankee, ma'am!
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
So I just bypassed all the work YOU guys are talking about and bought a mini rhubarb pie homemade by the Amish. $3.00 and a pie later my need for rhubarb will probably be satisfied. Oh, and I picked up some homemade rhubarb jam while I was there too.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Theca, that's certainly the smart way to do it. [Wink]

emails sent.... Shan, I emailed you through the board, I've never done that before. Let me know if it doesn't make it to you.

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
*Eats some pie* Yes, I feel pretty smrt right now. [Wink]
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Theca, what do you suggest those of us who don't have any rhubarb-growing Amish nearby do? [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Move?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL]

You could always move here. I make a pretty mean rhubarb pie. [Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

got it - thanks - emailing you back, ElJay -
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And, quid, where are you going to get the rhubarb, praytell? [Razz]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.