FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 300 Posts Back (A Conversation) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 300 Posts Back (A Conversation)
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It baffles me, Porter, that you'd use a double negative and yet manage to nail the subjunctive tense. [Smile]
It's the subjunctive mood, Tom. [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[No. Follow the directions above-- search your screenname on this page and then go to the end of page 15 of the results.]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kai-bai-bo...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The text was hard to read, and sort of grainy...Nice pic though...

Maybe make the background to the text blocks a dark color, to teh text will show up better?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
[A little bird told me how to do it. (Thanks [Smile] )

I figured out why it wasn't working for me: I did a search on my username, which brought me to a page that listed the dozen or so user names that contain "mike". So naturally I clicked on the "view all posts" link next to my user name. Which was obviously the wrong thing to do. (Instead I should have selected the radio button next to my name and hit the "Continue Search" button, duh.) Later I tried "55" instead of "Mike" and got the full 300 hits. Silly forum software.]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please don't make it suck, Lucas. Please.

I really want to see Yoda face off against Sidious. I just wish Yoda wasn't completely digital. Ah well, can't have it all.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I came across this by chance, and caught the premiere of this on Cartoon Network today.

Like half the kids who grew up in the eighties, it was the GIJoe comic that got me into reading. I had to check out what they were doing with that big chunk of my childhood.

It's interesting to see the re-launch of GI Joe. Apparently a bunch of the trademarks lapsed, and so lots of the characters and vehicles are being remarketed under different names.

Some of this was adressed in the "movie"--they said "Heavy Duty," the revamped Roadblock, was Roadblock's Cousin.

When they talked in the first few minutes about "Government Issue Frosty Yo-Joe Colas" I had my hopes up that the script was either written by Larry Hama himself, or at least by somebody who understood the series.

I ended up both pleased and dissapointed. Larry Hama did, in fact, write it, but not nearly at the level I was hoping for. And the CGI ended up looking more like I was watching Small Soldiers toys playing than like real heavy machinery was moving around.

The worst part, aside from the "explain everything in terms so simple an adult can understand it" dialogue, was the editing. The whole thing felt way too hurried, and--

But why complain? It's the first foray back into a great group of characters, and I'm glad to see it's happening.

Did anybody else catch this, or just have fond memories of the old comic/TV show?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer the question posed in the thread title, I draw on Jerry Seinfeld:

"Cause living is good, and dying....not as good."

Of course, he sings it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're worth every blessed moment, Beren! [Kiss]
Mercy.

[Blushing]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For index and appendix, the regular English plurals are more common.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the regular English plural of index most of the time, but always use "appendices". Don't ask why, I just do.

And I like Horcruces much better.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me nuts, but I just adore Theodore Dreiser, and "Sister Carrie" is my favorite of all his books.

Dickens, well, I can read him, but, like a lot of Victorians, I get the impression that he was being paid by the word. There are times when he is outstanding, but others when there are just too many words! And surprising plot devices and coincidences. You just want to say, "Now cut that out, Chuck."

And as long as we are talking about Victorians who are paid by the word, can somebody pull the plug on Alfred Tennyson? He goes on so long that he forgets what he was talking about at the beginning of his poems.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree it is getting a bit rediculous. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

But I didn't remark on it earlier cause I didn't want to encourage it. [No No] [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<--not original, but pretty darn close, since I haven't used my original name in two years

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
And from the aforementioned original name:

quote:
That's a switch...peek-a-boo calling other people weird! [Razz]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hm, does she know she's the chosen one? We haven't heard from her yet.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I love these shows too. I would also like to see what happend after a month.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

No one seems to go anymore.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Looks liked I logged in at the right time.
quote:
murdering me in his mind while wondering if he still had the receipt for the new vacuum cleaner he'd just finished wrapping
It was a great read before heading to work which I am running late for. [Wave]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Spankings? [Angst] [Eek!]

I was a child that needed to be spanked, though I didn't like it very much at the time.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I agree with Tom. I think most dobies are pretty dumb and a waste of space and time.

[And I still think so. [Razz] ]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that you don't have a box of potato starch on the shelf.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a musical instrument.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Do they dress up for church or anything? Ties are easy to sew, and teenage boys like creative ones that reflect their interests.
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. [Wink]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.