FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Men. How do I deal with them? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Men. How do I deal with them?
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that was my fault Sterling, I'm the one who brought up the guy code [Razz]

I've never been bothered by people using urinals and stuff next to me. I've got nothing to hide, the only times I feel uncomfortable is when other guys start trying to peek into my side of things and seriously breach the code!

It's really not that complicated, here are a few of the unspoken rules:

- Always pick the urinal furthest away from the guy already using the urinal. Put as much space between the two of you. If all the urinals are already busy, it's acceptable to use the one next to someone.

- Never peek or glance down at someone. This is a SERIOUS violation of the code. If you must look at something, look either straight ahead or if you're talking to someone look only at their face/top of their head.

- Conversation is optional but sometimes frowned upon. Goes on a case by case basis.

- Do not EVER touch anyone while they're using an urinal. No pats on the back, no punches, no nothing. This is a very very important rule! Break it at your own risk!

- Wash your freaking hands before you leave. This isn't part of the "rules" but it should be. I see so many people leave without washing their hands it's really disgusting.

/end guy code basics

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's kinda sad the way our society has no intrest in valuing the privacy of menfolk. Women are far more likely to have separated shower stalls, etc
Which I've always found strange, since the girls I'm friends with never have a problem stripping buck nekkid in front of one another - something you rarely see two guys do, no matter how good of friends they are.

I agree with the guy code, and follow it dogmatically. But I think a lifetime of organized sports has pretty much rid me of all male inadequacy complexes. That's not exactly the word I'm looking for, but essentially I think all the "don't look at anyone's junk" rules about showering and peeing are rooted in homophobia. By the time I got to college, we didn't even care anymore. For example, it was standard behavior in my locker room to slap your buddies on their bare @$$ with your bare hand - the louder, the funnier. Also, if you were in the communal shower alone, the next person in instead of going to the pole farthest from you would join you at your pole. I just got used to it. Pointing and joking about genital size was also commonplace. If this bothered you, you didn't shower after practice. My roommate never did. It was all in good humor, and I never heard any of this leave the locker room. Although all my athlete friends are very touchy feely guys. They're all just secure. They're all big huggers. It took some getting used to, but by senior year I was doing it too, and not thinking twice about it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a matter of killing your bubble zones, sometimes.

But I think this is also taking strangers into account.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which I've always found strange, since the girls I'm friends with never have a problem stripping buck nekkid in front of one another - something you rarely see two guys do, no matter how good of friends they are.
I was made to understand that it was guys who didn't care one whit about stripping naked in front of each other. There is a rich and varied history in our society of boys/men goin' to the swimmin' hole and swimming in the nude. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but one thing you'll rarely see is two guys doing this. Any group of more than two will get naked at the drop of a hat. But when it's two, there's tiny voice in the back of each of their brains saying, "He might try something, better not".

Girls don't seem to be bothered by this at all. They sleep in the same bed and spoon. Guys don't do that. At least not in pairs.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting point....

quote:
Girls don't seem to be bothered by this at all. They sleep in the same bed and spoon. Guys don't do that. At least not in pairs.
There is a cultural thing about guys not sleeping in the same bed with others--male or female. Growing up, my brothers never had to share a bed. They got bunkbeds to avoid it. My sister and I had to share a double bed. Later, I shared that same bed with my best friend who came to live with us for a time.

There was never any sort of spooning going on, though. :shiver:

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

I've shared beds with my friends in hotel rooms and with my brother. Never saw the issue, really. I think this is why I don't get Americans.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I've shared a bed with my brother at relatives' houses. That's about it though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I've shared a bed with my brother, and with more than one of my friends. You can bet your sweet bottom their was no touching involved, though.

And I know a lot of my friends who wouldn't even consider sharing a bed with another guy. I don't mind though. I agree that it's very American behavior. European guys are a lot less homophobic, it seems.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wash your freaking hands before you leave. This isn't part of the "rules" but it should be. I see so many people leave without washing their hands it's really disgusting.
I don't see how guys' hands get all that dirty when at the urinal. I mean, they don't even wipe themselves. Where are the germs coming from?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Technically you shouldn't have to wash (since I'd assume your stuff isn't dirty, although that assumption could be wrong). It's still customary to though.

EDIT: You's in this post all refer to a generic guy.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you never wash your hands, then it would get dirty when you went, now wouldn't it?

What about washing before you go eh?

Then you might as well wash afterwards too.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I know how clean I am but I don't know how clean someone else is. It's customary to wash your hands afterwards I guess, but some people don't follow the custom.

It has a lot to do with seeing someone you know go to the bathroom and not seeing them wash their hands after they're done. You can't know their level of higiene and I assume most people wouldn't want to shake hands with someone they know doesn't wash their hands after they're done.

It doesn't hurt, so why not do it? [Wink]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I see it, if you members of the male half of the species don't wash your hands after you go to the restroom and you shake hands with someone, they're shaking hands with your penis...and, well, I don't want to shake hands with someone's penis. If I did, I'd eliminate the middle man...err, hand.

Hmmm, I should read closer. In other words, what Rico said.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't think most penises are all that dirty. My guess is that hands are a lot dirtier than penises. I think raventh had an interesting point. It's probably just good to have clean hands every once in a while, regardless of the bathroom, and going to the bathroom provides you with a good opportunity for that.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Don't go over board with the cleanliness though. You don't want a build up of super bacteria on your hands.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno about girls and getting naked together. I used tgo change in the closet at slumber parties, but I think that was mostly because my body became sort of grown up YEARS before most girls my age. It was either be modest or be stared at by a room full of 7 year-olds. *wince*

P.S. Wash your filthy hands, you horrid animals! [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Thanks Uhleeuh. I'm now cleaning diet coke off my monitor.
raventh1
Member # 3750

I don't know how I would react if a really attractive woman persued me. I don't think I would react negatively. [Big Grin]
Although, I'd probably be suspicious...

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*pursues raventh1* [Wink]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

*becomes suspicious of Olivet*
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I only wash my hands if the door opens outward, permitting me to use my foot. If it opens inward then you get more germs from touching the door than you do from touching your penis, so washing one's hands is pointless.

Also, some of my best friends are gay, but if not looking at anyone's junk is homophobic then I am a homophobe and proud of it.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.