FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Indiana- Only the married should reproduce (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Indiana- Only the married should reproduce
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't put it past some hardy resiliant sperm. [Wink]
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
Oh, I don't mean that parenting should be allowed only to those who make a minimum amount. I meant the psycho analysis thing so that people like serial killers and those with completely twisted minds cannot have any children. Did you ever see the Cell with JLo? Remember the little kid's dad? I mean people like those. You know, your everyday sick in the head bastard. Just those, any other factors cannot and should not determine your parenting abilities.

However, we would have to give massive amounts of power to some governing agency to enforce that. Once the agency has that kind of power, it can decide on any criteria it wants, and if you disagree, suddenly you are on the proscripted list.

I am against any social-betterment scheme that proposes to give that sort of power to anyone.

--Mel

[ADDIT: Read "The Abolition of Man" by C.S. Lewis for his thoughts on what happens when powerful groups get the ability to control human reproduction/advancement. It's a tough read, but worth it.]

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Attempts to control who can and cannot have children involve one of two things:

1) forced abortion for anyone who becomes pregnant without a licence or
2) forced temporary sterilization of the entire population prior to puberty with reversal rigidly controlled.

Either solution is ripe for abuse not to mention incredibly invasive especially to women who would no doubt bear the brunt of either method.

I don't think any government could implement this without bloody revolution.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I meant the psycho analysis thing so that people like serial killers and those with completely twisted minds cannot have any children.
In that case we already have a system in place for that. Social services does not allow serial killers etc. to parent children. While such screenings as you suggest might catch a few more than would normally be caught, I don't think it would be nearly enough to make up for the intrusion of the government into the personal decision to procreate.

quote:
I don't think any government could implement this without bloody revolution.
Unless they'd already had several and were pretty firmly in control. *points to China*

Edited for USB.

[ October 06, 2005, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Amanecer ]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
China does screen good parents though. There are just incredible tax hikes if you have more than one kid.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. But they do *strongly* encourage abortions for more than one kid.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The government has sterilized adults and aborted unborn children by force, although they now insist it is not official policy to do so.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.