FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Indiana- Only the married should reproduce (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Indiana- Only the married should reproduce
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/10/3/213554/300

Not that there's any real chance of this passing, but the idea that they're trying scares me.

[Edit: Content of comments below article may include some material inappropriate for children. Maybe adults. And definitely Hatrack. --PJ]

[ October 05, 2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

John Stuart Mill is rolling in his grave right now.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so stupid.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It hurts my brain when people say things that dumb out loud.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
(Oops, sorry Papa, I didn't even notice there were comments)
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so blantently, obviously inappropriate and illegal I don't even know why anyone would propose such a thing.

(not to mention the appalling fact that since someone DID propose it, someone out there wants it to happen. I think I've read this dystopia a couple times...)

Seriously... what do they want with this? Do they think they will garner approval?

God, what if they *do* garner significant approval?

Basically, this just scares me to death for so many reasons. I (and of course many others) treasure the lifestyle that is free from both coat hangers AND diapers.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
What she said.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know my local state senator is apposed to this, absolutely furious! I really am moving out of this state so fast.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the sentiment behind it. I think children ought to be born into stable, two-parent households. I recognize this is an effort to make this happen more of the time.

But to legislate something like that seems scary and wrong to me.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Further, the "gestational certificate" will only be given
to married couples that successfully complete the same screening
process currently required by law of adoptive parents.

The elitist part of me thinks this is a brilliant idea that should be implemented worldwide for the betterment of mankind*, but the Libertarian part of me tells the elitist part to kill itself.

*Assuming (incorrectly) that "marriage" includes formalized union between homosexual couples, thereby discriminating only on the basis of parenting ability, not sexuality.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
we do not have any sort of formalized union between homosexual couples in Indiana.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing dumber than dumb people saying dumb things is the dumber things that dumber people say in reply to those dumb people.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we do not have any sort of formalized union between homosexual couples in Indiana.
I know, hence the "(incorrectly)."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
...So, of course they're going to fund DNA testing to hunt down and prosecute the men responsible for children being born outside of marriage, too, right? RIGHT!?

...Backward, bone-headed, retrograde, pond-scum sucking <disintegrates into Yosimite Sam style swearing>...

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
This scares me so much.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it. What are they gonna do to unmarried women who get pregnant? How on earth would they enforce this without getting really, really scary?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't seem like they've throught this through very well. If they were actually going to enforce that to the point that people would want to avoid penalty, I bet an immediate effect would be an increase in abortion rates. Granted, the lawmakers may not see anything wrong with that, but I kind of doubt it.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Republican lawmakers are drafting new legislation that will make marriage a requirement for motherhood in the state of Indiana, including specific criminal penalties for unmarried women who do become pregnant "by means other than sexual intercourse."

According to a draft of the recommended change in state law, every woman in Indiana seeking to become a mother throu gh assisted reproduction therapy such as in vitro fertilization, sperm donation, and egg donation, must first file for a "petition for parentage" in their local county probate court.

From what I can tell, although there is definitely language about how not being married and having a baby is against he law, the specifics of this particular bill seem not to be about tracking down all the unmarried women who give birth, but rather restricting access to fertility treatments to only married women. Just saying.

One thing that I thought was pretty odd, was that some of the people supporting this bill are framing it as a way to stregthen the prohibitions against surrogate mothers. Can someone explain to me what's so bad about surrogate mothers? I don't see why that would be such an issue.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So, that's discrimination against infertile couples under the ADA, I believe.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all our names are being added to a masterlist somewhere in Indianapolis, headed with the phrase "People To Kill".
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I kinda doubt that infertility falls under the scope of the ADA. Which is not to say that there aren't tons of reasons why what they're trying to do isn't legal.

But then I don't think that the people behind this have any expectation that they're going to be able to pass it. I think they're likely going through the motions so that they can sell it as Christianity/good morals being under attack.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Can someone explain to me what's so bad about surrogate mothers?"

Its impossible to regulate contracts for surrogate mothers, and surrogate motherhood can lead to a lot of nasty contract disputes (and felonies).

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've been known to say - jokingly - that some peole shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, but this is not what I had in mind.

This proposal has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Big Brother, here we come (and I don't mean the "reality" show).

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Paul,
Sure there's that, but I was wondering about why it's a bad thing from a moral angle, which is how it seems these people are regarding it. Do many Christians see surrogate motherhood as immoral?

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good thing Mary had Joseph (none / 0)

...including specific criminal penalties for unmarried women who do
become pregnant "by means other than sexual intercourse."

Guess that rules out Immaculate Conception....

by lovelylight on Wed Oct 5th, 2005 at 10:09:51 PDT

[ROFL] I cannot understand the Republican mind...*high fives Raia*
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I understand the sentiment behind it. I think children ought to be born into stable, two-parent households. I recognize this is an effort to make this happen more of the time.

I strongly, strongly doubt that is the real sentiment. If it were, they would not have that huge GLARING loophole allowing for women to get pregnant out of wedlock through normal sexual intercourse. They aren't trying to protect kids, they're trying to prevent gay people from having kids.

quote:
Republican lawmakers are drafting new legislation that will make
marriage a requirement for motherhood in the state of Indiana,
including specific criminal penalties for unmarried women who do
become pregnant "by means other than sexual intercourse."

It was in the first paragraph. That's blatant. This law has NOTHING to do with protecting children from anything save being born in a household with gay parents.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh geez. Where's the "ashamed to live in Indiana" smilie?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Space Opera:
Oh geez. Where's the "ashamed to live in Indiana" smilie?

space opera

Up Patricia Miller's you-know-where, if you ask me.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, at the moment, I am extre mely glad I managed to get the hell out of that state. New York is so much better... or maybe that's just me living on the campus of a small liberal arts school in New York... *ponder*
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

All hail the art school students.
Janger
Member # 4719

- posted      Profile for Janger   Email Janger         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with beverly that children should be born into a stable family but I think that they're treating evil with more evil. I don't believe that woman should be punished for giving life, but that you need a certificate in order to undergo artificial semination is just as bad. I am adamantly opposed to in vitro fertilization. Extremely so, so the fact that they're trying to put out a fire by pouring on gas is quite ridiculous.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am adamantly opposed to in vitro fertilization.
*curious* Why?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Could you explain why you are adamantly opposed to in vitro fertilization? I mean, I'm pretty against aggressive fertility treatments because of the abortion angle, but run of the mill in vitro and surrogate mothering doesn't bother me a bit.
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
It's things like this that make me appreciate the oasis that is Bloomington in the land of Indiana.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
//off topic

I came out of the Serenity thread and read this thread's title as: "Inara - Only the married should reproduce".

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
**checks calendar**
It's not April Fool's Day already, is it? This is too bizarre to be serious.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

No, that's National Aetheist's Day.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

The problem isn't the law, its how to carry it out. I agree that children shouldn't be conceived if there is no marriage, but that is just my religious POV. How would you enforce this law? I just cannot fathom a Free Country U. S. of A. where having children without permission is against the law. The only idea that I would agree on is that there should be a child bearing license. What I mean with this is that there should be an examination where your psyche is analysed to see if you are right in the head to be a loving parent. There could be some sort of mechanism implanted from an early age that prevents conception. I know that would probably persuade lots of people into having sex as a joke and further spread STD's, but you people know what I mean. As long as the person is right in the head, there should be no authority that says you cannot have a child because you are gay, single, divorced, etc. Your marital status does not determine your parenting skill.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just cannot fathom a Free Country U. S. of A. where having children without permission is against the law. The only idea that I would agree on is that there should be a child bearing license.
I think I see an inconsistancy here.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I see it too. I guess I meant that the government should not decide who should and should not have children based on their marital status. I think only a thorough psycho analysis can really say that you are qualified to be a parent.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank Goodness

quote:
A state senator has changed her mind about sponsoring a bill that would prohibit homosexuals and unmarried people in Indiana from using medical science to assist them in having a child.
Senator Patricia Miller of Indianapolis says the issue has become more complex than she thought. So she is withdrawing it from consideration.

Miller said earlier this week that state law does not have regulations on assisted reproduction and should have similar requirements to adoption in Indiana. She acknowledged when she proposed it that the legislation would be "enormously controversial."

The bill defined assisted reproduction as causing pregnancy by means other than sexual intercourse, including artificial insemination, the donation of an egg or embryo and sperm injection.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I think she pulled the smilie from her you-know-where
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*twitches at the stupidity*

Do people still read 1984 or Brave New World?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what would be really good for society? To have all the children born out of wedlock to be raised in big orphanages because their parents are in jail. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Could you explain why you are adamantly opposed to in vitro fertilization? I mean, I'm pretty against aggressive fertility treatments because of the abortion angle, but run of the mill in vitro and surrogate mothering doesn't bother me a bit.
In vitro results in the creation of fertilized eggs that will be discarded. Anyone who justifies an anti-abortion position by believing personhood begins at fertilization will have a hard time consistently supporting in vitro fertilzation.

People who believe personhood begins at implantation and opposes abortion for that reason can support in vitro fertilization consistently.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Dag,
As far as I understand it, which is not that far, in vitro doesn't necessitate discarding fertilized eggs. It can be done on a one-to-one basis, although I really don't know anything about how this is done in the real world. I guess, thinking about it, nearly all in vitro procedures would use multiple egss in order to up the chances, but you could conceivibly limit it, based on the abortion angle, to single egg attempts, yes no?

---

I'm still not sure why, granting that you're allowing married people in vitro stuff, what's the big deal about surrogate mothers? I was honestly suprised to read that some people have a major problem with this. Does anyone share this perspective and would be willing to explain where the objection lies?

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I was vaguely thinking that even if you limit the fertilized eggs in the in vitro procedures that there is still a lot of waste due to the technology not being precise enough or something. Maybe some don't look perfect and get discarded or something? And the cost issue would be difficult to do single attempts. Plus it would greatly lower chances of success to do single attempts. Those are all educated guesses.

I thought Paul answered your question about surrogates.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as I understand it, which is not that far, in vitro doesn't necessitate discarding fertilized eggs. It can be done on a one-to-one basis, although I really don't know anything about how this is done in the real world. I guess, thinking about it, nearly all in vitro procedures would use multiple egss in order to up the chances, but you could conceivibly limit it, based on the abortion angle, to single egg attempts, yes no?
The success rate is so low that trying one on one will simply minimize the number killed prior to success, although some will succeed on the first try.

quote:
I'm still not sure why, granting that you're allowing married people in vitro stuff, what's the big deal about surrogate mothers? I was honestly suprised to read that some people have a major problem with this. Does anyone share this perspective and would be willing to explain where the objection lies?
Can't help you there.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

But, given a population that believes that multiple egg in vitro is akin to abortion, they could insist on single egg stuff. It's more difficult and costly, but it still increases their chances of a successful pregnancy.

edit: Dag, that's interesting. From my perspective, the fertilized eggs that fail to implant would be similar to the many naturally fertilized eggs that fail to implant. Is it the human intervention that makes it different?

---

Paul answered from what seemed to me to be a logistical concern. It seemed to me that the people quoted in that article thought that surrogate motherhood was obviously morally wrong. I was wondering what the basis for these moral objections is.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I see it too. I guess I meant that the government should not decide who should and should not have children based on their marital status. I think only a thorough psycho analysis can really say that you are qualified to be a parent.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Completely ignoring the idea that psychoanalysis is anywhere near precise enough to pin-point specific qualifications for anything, this idea is still horrifying in itself. "Qualified to be a parent" is a very vague term and I bet we could find a different definition for every single registered poster at Hatrack. Who is going to determine what constitutes qualified to be a parent? I think this question even applies to the proposed (and thankfully now un-proposed) law.

If it's valid to argue that two parents is better than one and therefore it should be criminal for a single woman to bear a child why is it not also valid to argue that the "ideal" home is one where the dad makes $75K/year and the mother stays at home with the kids and make it illegal for women to work and for any couple to reproduce until the man makes the minimum income?

I really hate the mentality that holds up a narrow ideal and uses it blindly to judge the worthiness of others. I might agree that it's better to have two parents. I might agree that having those two parents be opposite sex is the ideal, all other things being equal. But the government is not here to enforce the ideal. The government is here to enfore the bare minimum, if anything. That leaves us free to interpret for ourselves what is "ideal".

Heaven help us if we reach a point where one narrow minded view of the perfect life is enforced on the rest of us. Talk about hell on earth.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.