FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm a big chicken (concerns woman things) Appointment #2...now. :( (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm a big chicken (concerns woman things) Appointment #2...now. :(
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Much luck!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((pH))))) Good luck.

Deep, calming breaths are often helpful!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you're getting an external ultrasound. Internal ones are worse, especially if they don't bother telling you that they'll be sticking a very cold object up your vagina beforehand. [Eek!]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
There are ultrasounds that make you stick something up your vagina?? [Eek!]

You're right. That sounds much worse.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know they aren't doing an internal exam too? Please remember that it's usually much less painful than pelvic exams, even for girls with pelvic pain.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

You mean they actually MIGHT stick something in there?

[Angst]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The internal ones are worse when they don't bother telling you they'll be sticking a cold object up your yoohoo. The shock value, ya know.

Um, Theaca - yeah. True.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Not without your permission, and it may not be even suggested.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nitasmile
Member # 8275

- posted      Profile for Nitasmile   Email Nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I am embarassed to be posting this but in the hopes of helping someone:

One suggestion for those who have the pap smear for the first time and if you are a virgin, they do have "childsize" probes they can use that aren't as big as the standard size. The first time they tried to give me a pap smear, it didn't work. But the next time, they got the smaller prbe which was not comfortable and not w/o pain,.
Still, it was better than the other size.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

pH, that's when the calming breaths come into play. *hug*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Okay, the paper they gave me says, "Pelvis/tv routine gyn (pelvi"...I guess the page was cut off in printing.

Um.

So do you think they're going to be sticking things up there or not?

'cause....

If they are, maybe I should take some Ativan before I go...

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

My guess (although it is an educated one): it's a definite possibility. So yeah, maybe a good idea.

It will be ok. *hug*

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I had both kinds of ultra sound in December at my appointment. They told me to drink tons of water before the appointment because they would try and do the ultrasound externally first. A full bladder is needed for the external kind. And actually, an external ultrasound is probably one of the most non-intrusive things you can have done to you at a gynecologist. The most uncomfortable part about it is that they kinda push on your full bladder. But other than that, no pain. If they can't get the information they need from the external kind, they'll ask you to empty your bladder and then go inside you with a *pretty small* probe. But, the internal ultrasound is TONS easier than a pelvic exam. Pelvic exams hurt me too, and this didn't hurt at all (aside from the emotional trauma of having someone down there). You seem quite sensitive to these things, so it might hurt you a bit, but take comfort in knowing that it's at least ten times easier to go through than a pelvic exam.

*sends calming vibes*

Good luck!

((((pH))))

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I had an ultrasound (my gynecologist suspected a cyst - actually there was a lot of them but very little so apparently nothing can be done about it) they told me I had to drink a ton of water, but when I arrived at the lab the guy (it was a guy...) told me my bladder wasn't full enough and he would have to do an internal ultrasound. I didn't even know it existed. Finally I was relaxed enough because I had to laugh when I saw the guy, very solemnly, putting a condom on the probe to protect it. The exam itself didn't hurt, although it was uncomfortable.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I didn't get a condom on mine. I feel so left out. [Frown]
Anna
Member # 2582

Nothing on it? Really? That's weird. They probably washed it off after, but the condom solution is probably the less expensive, plus it's lubrificated.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Boy is fifteen minutes late!

Claims he will be here before I have to leave, it's not his fault, stuck in traffic something something.

I'm saving my irrational, terror-driven rage until he shows up at the door.

-pH

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
My "needles = extreme panic attacks" husband is going in for surgery today, IV and anesthesia and all. If you read this before you head in, remember this: gratitude and fear cannot coexist in your mind at the same time. If the fear is threatening to overwhelm you, focus instead on something that you're really, truly grateful for.

((((pH!))))

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get a mammogram if you have size A breasts?
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the ultrasound! Hopefully it will be quick (and it should be painless).

I've used NuvaRing for about 2 years now. Yeah the idea of putting something there and leaving it for weeks seems a little squicky, but when it's placed properly you can't feel it at all. The ring is about 2 inches in diameter and you just kinda squish it and put it in so it stays and you can't feel it. I like it so much better than taking pills (besides the fact that pills don't agree with me).

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
I don't know, but if you can at least it'll save you the humiliation to have the assistant change a piece of the machine because your breasts are too big (authentic).
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mom has had them and she barely even qualifies as an A. [Smile] And, she says they're just as uncomfortable for her as anyone else.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Even men can get mammograms.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Some things can be seen so much better with an internal ultrasound, so I would say it's at least a good possibility.

When I had mine done, they explained what was going to happen, they put a sterile condom over the probe and then put a lubricant over that. The lubricant had been kept in a warmer, so there was no shock of anything cold.

I've never found internal ultrasounds to be uncomfortable at all, but then maybe I just had a really good doctor. At the practice I went to, my doctor did all the ultrasounds, there was no ultrasound tech.

I've also had many abdominal ultrasounds done, both in and out of the hospital. Every time the techs explained what they were going to do before they did it. If you have one that doesn't seem talkative - ASK. Say "What are you going to do next?" or "I feel better when I know what's coming, so please tell me before you do anything." You have a right to be told what is being done to you and that eliminates the shock of something unexpected, which will make the anxiety level go down.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
Even men can get mammograms.

Hmm...interesting. I've never seen the equipment used for mammograms so I've often wondered how they would do it. I've heard mammograms described as squishing your breast between something and I can't imagine doing that with size A breasts.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Well, there WAS an internal ultrasound.

It wasn't as painful as the pap smear, yay!

It mostly hurt when she started like...moving it around from side to side to find my ovaries. And also, she had me put it in myself, so that severely decreased the freakout factor.

They wouldn't let my boyfriend into the ultrasound area, though. [Frown] But at least he was there to scoop me up when I was done. And then we got breakfast and went back to my house and went to sleep. This guy just keeps racking up the points; last night he listened to me cry on the phone for almost an hour.

But they didn't let me see what the ultrasound looked like. Well, she showed me what my uterus looks like, but that's it. I really wanted to see what my ovaries look like.

-pH

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Menamogram! Do do doo do do.
Menamogram! Do do de doo!

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I was waiting for someone to do that, PC....
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad it wasn't that painful, pH. And your boyfriend does sound like a sweetie. [Smile]

Hey, at least it's over.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yay for being done! Yay for not being as bad as your were afraid. And double yay for a smart and sensitive ultrasound tech. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.