FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm a big chicken (concerns woman things) Appointment #2...now. :( (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm a big chicken (concerns woman things) Appointment #2...now. :(
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird; my doctor, mom, gynecologist and a few other sources recommended 30 definitely, and since I do have that increased risk, 25.

*thinking*

Perhaps 40 is necessary, 30 is highly preventive? Or maybe my world consists of hypochondriacs
[Angst]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at my annual last month I was told that I should keep in mind that I'll have to have a baseline mammogram in 8 years when I turn 40. And when I had a suspicious lump a few years back they did an ultrasound instead of a mammogram because the doctor said at my age the breast tissue was too dense for a mammogram to work. *shrug* But I am not a medical professional.

---------

Val, I have asked to be tested for the full range of STDs before, more than once. And I always get all my test results sent to me in writing. Chlamydia has only been on the results list the times I requested full STD screenings. But it certainly could be different practices in different areas. Or they're just only sending me the results when I request them. [Wink] But when I've had STD tests they've always taken a wet prep as well as the pap smear sample. When I don't request it, they only take the pap sample. Do they do the chlamydia test off of that?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I started my last post before I saw Kristen's and quids's that ended up before mine. [Smile] If your doctor is recommending earlier, Kristen, then of course that's what you should do.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the support, you guys. [Smile]

As for the STD testing, I'm sure that's going to be a part of the things they do with the many scrapings taken from the inside of my vagina [Mad] since I've been having pain and lots of it. I was told that the anemia and thyroid results from the blood they sucked out of me will be in tomorrow.

And I don't even know what a tilted uterus is...but that would show up on a pelvic ultrasound, right? I have one of those on the 15th.

I think I AM going to opt to start taking birth control as soon as these pills she gave me stop the uncontrollable bleeding I'm having now.

And I have to have a follow-up in three weeks. Will that include another medieval torture exam? Do I need to bring my teddy bear?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, another comment... Unless things have changed, HPV cannot be detected with STD testing unless the HPV is currently active. So, you can have it and not know it.

pH, I feel your pain. [Frown] I hope you feel better soon. But no, the follow-up will likely be a chat with the doc to discuss results and any treatment, but if you have any doubt about that, ask the receptionist.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, best wishes pH, sounds like you've got a lot going on. I don't know what your followup will include. As for a tilted uterus, I don't really know anything about it either except that I was also told I had one after just a pelvic (i.e. medieval torture) exam.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Normal risk women get their first mammogram between 35 and 40, or at 40. It's very unusual and not really recommended under that age unless there is history or findings to be concerned about. In fact, I recall ordering a mammogram on a 25 year old and the radiologist called me and asked me to change the order to an ultrasound, as the mammogram would not be helpful to him. *shrug* Doctors are different, though.

Eljay, they should be RECOMMENDING STD checks to you every year. It shouldn't just be if you ask about it, since you are at risk. The wet prep checks for yeast, bacterial vaginosis, and trichomonas. There are swab tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea, and it gets taken at almost the same time as the pap so women often don't really notice. The tests for syphilis and HIV are blood tests and ordered less often.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Also, is there anything over-the-counter wise that can be done about the lower back cramps and...soreness?

I'm considering a hot bath, but I'm afraid that if I put bath crystals in it or something, it will irritate the, um, sore parts.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
No, ElJay, it requires an additional swab. I think it's because of my age that I get tested everytime. Now that I'm doing a little bit of research, it seems my age group (25 and under) is in a higher risk catagory. Now that I'm 25 and in a monogamous relationship (for over two years), perhaps I won't need one this summer when my exam is due. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce, I hear those ThermaCare heating pads work nicely. I'm betting you could find some good tips from the TMI thread on Sakeriver. I remember cramps being a popular topic on that thread.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm relieved I can wait a few more years, but I'll still bring it up the next time I see my doctor. Just in case.

Feel better pH...

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Theaca, it's not just if I ask about it, I said that they ask every year if I'm at risk. I assume that if I said yes they would recommend checks. Since I have had a full range of tests, waited six months and had them again, and am in a monogamous relationship with someone who has also had the full range of tests come back negative, I do not consider myself at risk. [Smile]

And I pay pretty close attention, and have always noticed when they took more than one swab before. So I'm pretty sure I'm just getting the pap one.

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, Advil works for me, at least enough to get me functional.

I also have a tilted uterus ... which I didn't find out until I was pregnant with my second or third child. I think it was the third, actually; the midwife made a comment about it as if I'd known it all along, but I'd never been told. Apparently they'd never felt the need to mention it before! It does make my cervical exams more invasive and uncomfortable than I gather they normally are. They have to reach further, to get around the uterus, or something. So pleasant. [Frown]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Also, I have to take these pills...medroxyprogesterone, which are supposed to stop the almost constant bleeding I've been experiencing for the past two and a half months. I take them for ten days, and the doctor said they should work in two or three.

Do I have to take them at the same time every day? The pharmacist said no, but the pharmacy information they print up said yes.

And should I expect any crazy side effects? I'm hoping not. I told the doctor that I've had really bad side effects from birth control in the past, and she said that if I do decide to start it again, she won't let me have the shots because they might intensify my ocd and depressive tendencies. So I'm hoping she wouldn't give me something that would do something bad.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
*is thankful his gear is relatively maintenance free (at least until time for prostate exams)*
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

What dose?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

10mg, once a day.

OH MY GOD. I remembered that she said something about looking for fibroids, so I googled it to find out what it was.

THEY STICK SOMETHING UP YOUR VAGINA AND CUT THEM OUT OF YOUR UTERUS. [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]

-pH

Theaca
Member # 8325

ph, they only take fibroids out if they are causing a problem. It's a surgery, just going through the cervix instead of through the abdominal wall with an incision. You'd be asleep just like any other surgery. Think of it like a gall bladder surgery or something.

Um, I've never seen anyone have mood changes or severe side effects on that dose. I've taken it myself, in high school. As far as taking it at the same time, it will be better to take it about the same time every day, just like birth control, but it wouldn't be that big a deal if you were off a few hours.

pH
Member # 1350

Well, if I have them, then they probably ARE causing a problem, since I've been getting super bad cramps and having my period nearly all the time for two and a half months. [Frown]

And I'm terrified of the concept of surgery, too.

-pH

Theaca
Member # 8325

Really? Why?
pH
Member # 1350

Because it's just scary. I've never been knocked out for a surgery before. I guess I just don't trust people; I don't even like falling asleep around people I don't know. Surgery is like falling asleep around people I don't know who have knives.

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

ALSO, in two weeks, I make my choice:

NuvaRing vs. Yasmin.

Or maybe something else.

FIGHT!

-pH

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Pelvis Exam
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to ask about tilted uteri at my next check-up. It's quite possible I have one and have never been told.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Surgery is like falling asleep around people I don't know who have knives
[ROFL]

Sorry Pearce, just found that part very funny for some reason [Smile]

Wish you the best with your exams, I hope the pain goes away soon!

(((Pearce)))

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have fibroids or anything else going on, then it's best to get it taken care of. Like Theaca said, some of them don't need surgery, but regardless I hope the doc can find something that helps with your periods.

I know about the fear associated with surgery, and don't want to minimalize it, but I promise, it's almost always less traumatic than you think it will be. Now that I'm up to...what is it...seven surgeries, it's really not that bad. The people taking care of you are professionals who know their jobs and want you to be safe and comfortable.

But here's hoping no surgery is going to be necessary anyway.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you find something that works for you, pH, and that whatever you do, you end up safe, healthy, and happy.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this thread has been superinformative to me. I have never had a gynecological exam. Perhaps I should consider one. I am 23 and have no health problems that I am aware of. I started taking birth control about a year ago and love being on it. I go to the planned parenthood. They offered an STD test but I declined as I have only been with one person who has also only been with me so there is no risk there. How necessary is it that I get one at this point? I am moving onto better insurance after my wedding in May so maybe this summer it would not be such a bad bet.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
You got a prescription for birth control WITHOUT getting an exam???

I didn't even know that was possible.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, they asked if I was worried about STDs. I said no. At the time, I was still planning on waiting to have sex till the wedding and so was just trying to make sure I got adjusted far enough away from the wedding that I didn't go crazy. I told her this and the doctor said she would recommend having one done within the year if I planned to be sexually active.

[ March 09, 2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: theresa51282 ]

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
You got a prescription for birth control WITHOUT getting an exam???

I didn't even know that was possible.

Yup. I did it twice.

The third time, though, my pediatrician said I really did need to have a pelvic exam and pap smear.

Soooo, a year later, I finally did it.

-pH

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I'm not sexually active, and I have to get one every year. Of course, I have problems with my reproductive system, so it makes sense to be examined to make sure I don't have all sorts of crazy growths. I did talk the doctor out of a chlamydia test, though, since I didn't want to pay for a test that I knew would come up negative.

I'm jealous of those of you who don't have them at all.

pH, I sincerely hope that whatever it is, it clears up soon. I'm sorry you're having a rough time [Frown]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Hawaii, it's routine for all women under the age of 25 to be screened for Chlamydia whenever any pelvic exam is indicated. My daughter was mortified when she went in because she'd been having menstrual problems and they did a screening. They only test for Gonorrhea if the patient is high risk or requests it, and for Syphilis only if the patient is symptomatic, but they test near everyone for Chlamydia.

After age 25 though, you have to request STD screening usually.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a surgery, just going through the cervix instead of through the abdominal wall with an incision. You'd be asleep just like any other surgery.
Actually, when my friend had fibroids removed
they did it with an epidural so she was awake through the whole thing.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, if I could get the birth control shot without the annual exam, I wouldn't think twice. I find it quite painful, like getting pinched with pliers in the worst possible place, though what you're describing sounds way worse, pH. [Frown] I've tried to weasel my way out of it, but they just scowl at me and say no.

On the surgery topic, in my admittedly limited experience with being knocked out, I've found it to be a wonderful thing. I was knocked out to have all four wisdom teeth removed, and literally all I experienced was them counting down from 10 to 0, and then waking up. No pain, no noises, nothing, just a gap in time. I had been so nervous about the procedure, but I walked out of the doctor's office (well, staggered), feeling so happy and relieved. My husband was put under last month when they stitched his severed fingertip back on in the ER, and he is ABSOLUTELY the most anxious patient on Earth. He had to be physically restrained (like with the straps) in the ambulance in order to get the IV in, and this was while he was already in shock. However, once the anesthesia kicked in in the hospital, he got to skip out on the entire experience. No fear, no anxiety, he doesn't have any idea what his finger looked like or what they did to it. He just woke up from a short nap with a sore finger, asking when they were going to start the stitching.

There are risks, of course, and if/when you have to schedule a surgery, they'll scare you to pieces with all of the disclosure stuff... but I just want to tell you, from what I've experienced, being sedated during a surgery is the best thing since sliced bread. [Wink]

Good luck, and take care. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
It's a surgery, just going through the cervix instead of through the abdominal wall with an incision. You'd be asleep just like any other surgery.
Actually, when my friend had fibroids removed
they did it with an epidural so she was awake through the whole thing.

Yes, I know, but she CAN be put to sleep, and I don't think she could stand to even do the epidural while awake, much less the surgery itself.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Thanks for the support, you guys. [Smile]
Do I need to bring my teddy bear?

-pH

Here is your teddy bear, and your favorite blanket. Now be careful around the bad old Doc.

(I'm not being mean, I just know that these exams must be even more uncomforterable than any exam we males can have) [Smile]

I hope that the bleeding will stop soon and that after your exams you will feel better, so good luck pH. [Group Hug]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I think I would HAVE to be put to sleep. If I were awake, I would have to be restrained by several people, most likely. I don't even know what an epidural IS, but it sounds scary.

I have, quite literally, had to be restrained by more than one nurse before because of a procedure. I get Hulk-like strength when I'm anxious and feeling or anticipating pain.

Although I have already informed my boyfriend that if I have to have another scary exam or surgery or something, he is ABSOLUTELY coming with me, rocket science be damned.

-pH

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. An epidural is just a shot, albeit it's a shot in your spine. (Well, I guess it's more like an IV, but same difference.) Not fun, but you look forward to it when the contractions are more painful than a needle.

Of course there are times when people need epidurals who AREN'T in labor - I don't envy them.

[ March 09, 2006, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: JennaDean ]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, hang in there! I also am freaky about hospitals and procedures. But I am very glad I have gotten my annual exams, because once a "pre-cancerous" tumor was found on my cervix. I had to go to the hospital and be knocked out for laser surgery. It was yucky. But I'm glad it was taken care of before it got any worse.

Do try to remember that the doctors just want to help you stay healthy. I hope you can find a medical professional you feel you can trust. That really helps. And Definitely take your boyfriend with you if you are scared. Just having his presence and smell with you will probably help.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just having his presence and smell with you will probably help.
Smell ya later! [Wink]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
As to your question about Yasmin vs. the NuvaRing, my sister and I both tried Yasmin first, and it caused us to be depressed. It's one of the posible side effects listed, so if depression runs in your family at all, I would try something else. I switched to Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo which is working well so far (granted it's only been two weeks). I haven't tried the NuvaRing, but I had a friend who loved it but couldn't use it because her body would reject it after two weeks (and it needs to stay in for three). She said it had hardly any side effects, though. I was thinking about trying it, but I was generally squicked out at the idea of sticking something *up there* and leaving it for three weeks. However, I might try it someday.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I think the doctor said I can't take Ortho Tri Cyclin anything. [Frown] She said it would have to be something "new generation," whatever that means.

I'm also kinda squicked by the idea of putting something up there...but at the same time, it seems like it would be so much simpler. And I can use tampons...and the ring isn't as big as a tampon, right? Or flexible or something.

As for depression...yeah, that's definitely a concern. But I thought depression was a possible side effect of any of them?

-pH

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a possibility for any of them. However, the one I'm on mimicks your natural cycle by having a different dosage of hormones each week. Yasmin has the same amount in every pill, which is what makes it a bigger possibility for something like depression to occur. Also, the NuvaRing has a lower chance of depression occuring because the hormone dosage is lower since it is right at the source, so to speak. They say it's quite comfortable and not as big as a tampon, so you might want to give it a go.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/whatIsNuvaRing/index_flash.asp This gives a pretty good idea of what it looks like and the size and all.
pH
Member # 1350

Question!

Is it normal for these hormone pills I'm taking (medroxyprogesterone) to make me really, really tired and really, really aggressive?

Because I slept for thirteen hours last night, got up, ran some errands, then went back to sleep and barely made it to my 2:30 class.

And I also want to start fights. I mean, moreso than usual and with less provocation.

Or am I just getting over the exam anxiety?

-pH

Theaca
Member # 8325

Hormones CAN do weird things, hard to predict. I haven't heard of anyone complaining of those symptoms on that drug, tho. I would think it'd be a response to all the stress you've been under. People crash sometimes.
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I remember having experienced my first premenstrual tension after the doctor gave me the new medicine. It was... horrible. Simply... HORRIBLE

Luckily, it wasn't so bad later. I really don't want to have a week like that ever again.

so all in all there's no telling how one can react to new drugs.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I have an appointment at 8:30am for the pelvic ultrasound. Apparently, I also have to drink a ton of water an hour beforehand and resist the urge to pee.

I'm considering getting some of those Azo UTI symptom relief pills because they made me have to pee less when I had a UTI, and I'm really really bad about holding it for a long time.

I'm really nervous. [Frown] My boyfriend can't come over tonight, so he's supposed to show up at my house at 7:30am. I believe he has been fully briefed on the consequences of tardiness. In fact, I've probably been way too harsh because I'm really nervous.

Gah. I really just wanted to have the one exam and be done with everything. But no. My body has to be difficult.

We'll see how this goes. Wish me luck!

-pH

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Good good good luck!
*sends anti-nervousness vibes*

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.