FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What movie made you cry the most? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What movie made you cry the most?
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Added Pursuit of Happyness to the list.

I need to go rent some Jackie Chan or something.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I just saw Grave of the Fireflies and I thought it was good but I expected more from it. It was really sad and I cried but because of all the hype I'd heard about it, I was really hoping for one of those movies that hits you from the very beginning but that was not the case. In other words, I felt like it lagged a little...

Well, it is a slow movie. I didn't cry until the very end of it the first time I watched it. I tried to watch it a second time a few weeks later, and cried throughout the whole thing. I don't even try to watch it anymore.

It's a bit worse when you know the story is based on real life, and the original story was written as an apology to the main character's little sister.

Both of my parents worked, and I had to take care of my little sister a lot growing up, especially after my parents got divorced, and this movie hits me hard. She really looked up to me and I had no idea. She feels like I'm the one who raised her, and I can't say I did a competent job, since I was pretty young myself and had no idea what sort of responsibility I had.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Elephant Man, every time.

I can't even watch it anymore because the ending tears me apart.

I have yet to cry in another movie.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Mississippi Burning was an incredibly moving film.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Elephant Man, every time.

I have yet to cry in another movie."

Oh, my God. I seriously thought I was the only one.

For me I think it's the fact that it was a true story.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheyenne Autumn, every time

The Wrath of Kahn, every time

Brother Bear when Kenai tells Koda how his mother died

Spirit Wild Stallion of the Cimarron when the Indian Kid and Spirit jump the gorge I either cry or cheer and yell epithets at the cavalry guy

Contact when Ellie sees the her "dad", because deep down I wish I could see my dad, who died when I was six, one last time.

Two brothers when the tigers are mistreated, and then when they find each other.

Return of the King during Pippins song

T.V.:
Beauty and the Beast in the episode when the plague comes to the secret world

Little House on the Prairie in the episode about the kids getting lost in a blizzard

Judging Amy when Maxine's fiance dies

Star Trek TNG when Tasha dies

Books regularly make me cry

I'm a regular wuss!

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're adding TV to the mix, I bawl every single time I watch SG-1's "Meridian."

[Cry]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
"The Elephant Man, every time.

I have yet to cry in another movie."

Oh, my God. I seriously thought I was the only one.

For me I think it's the fact that it was a true story.

Its a true story, but its been embellished somewhat in the movie version.

Spoilers*

Ending Details! He did die from sleeping on his side, and its quite possible he did so intentionally.

/spoilers

I am glad Mel Brooks produced it but tried to play down his part so that people would take the movie seriously.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Some more sad scenes I just remembered:

In Casablanca when everybody starts singing La Marseillaise over the German national anthem.

In Mean Creek when they go to the dead boy's parents to tell what has happened.

The final episode of the anime series Fruits Basket (the beginning of it, not the silly stuff with Akito).

Also some of the Ishbal flashbacks in the anime Fullmetal Alchemist, even though all of that stuff was handled much better (and sadder) in the manga version.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowman
Member # 10426

- posted      Profile for Snowman           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Wonderful Life. I was so happy at the end that my eyes were gushing a storm.

I probably would have in Reign Over Me if it weren't for my friends surrounding me.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
So many of the previously mentioned ones, of course.

I HATE it when sad movies make me cry. I do not like tearjerkers like My Girl and Love Story and the Nicholas Sparks oevre. Steel Magnolias is an exception to this because there's so much more to the story.

And I'm with docmagik about "taking a stand." Throw in loyalty, and it'll get me every time. That's why the part that makes me cry in Titanic is when Ida and Isadore Strauss are together in their bed and the water is rising. Almost anything Sam ever does or says in LotR makes me cry. The middle of Fellowship, when he says he'll go to Mordor...the end, when he follows Frodo into the river even though he can't swim...and on and on.

*Most* of RotK makes me cry. I spent most of the last 45 minutes or so not just with a few tears running down my face, but really crying. I love when Eowyn takes a stand, the hopeless last stand and Mordor when Merry and Pippin run out, the "end of all things" line from Frodo, and on and on.

The most recent movie I cried at was Freedom Writers.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.