FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blayne has his own website! (updated with picture) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Blayne has his own website! (updated with picture)
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is not a threat. It is a promise.
I've never understood this particular phrase. Isn't it a threat that you promise to carry out, thus making it both a threat and a promise? Or is this a way of trying to make something that is rather unscary sound really scary? If so, I don't get how that works either.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
He's saying his threat is not an empty one.

Hey Blayne, how are you going to feel about all these inane posts you do 20 years from now when they're still googlable? I assume Blayne Bradley is you're real name. Could you at least post under an alias? Something that won't cost you a job down the line?

I know when I google up posts I made in the 80s I want to crawl under a rock and die. I'm just thankful I was wise enough to use an alias.

Remember, some forums don't prune regularly like Hatrack does. And just because it disappears off Hatrack doesn't mean it's gone forever. There ARE internet archiving sites out there with more disk space than common sense.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What on earth would cause the ad for this page to be for lingerie?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Puppies in costume for me. Seriously, are none of you gaming geeks impressed that I get to (if I want) hang out with the guy that wrote the "scripts" for Halo?

I mean, I'm not impressed because I haven't played a computer game since Pong, but still...

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What on earth would cause the ad for this page to be for lingerie?
People were acting like boobs?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky wins.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

:: laugh :: That he does.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know when I google up posts I made in the 80s I want to crawl under a rock and die.
*blink* Are there actually USENET archives that go that far back?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are archives to nearly the beginning of USENET, so yeah.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Squicky wins.

True story!

-----

Primal Curve it's not as if you NEED Blayne's approval, and you certainly don't NEED to make fun of him. I'd really appreciate it if you held off on declaring all out war on Blayne within this forum. Please just leave him be.

I can't see any good coming out of it, just ignore Blayne's posts or at least ignore his responses to your jabs.

I am positive you knew that insulting the Halo novels would be akin to arming the bomb waiting to explode, please try to refrain from doing it.

TIA?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<grunts> War Good.
Halo Bad.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Other people were criticizing Blayne's tastes first. Blayne apparently has a much lower tolerance for criticism from Primal Curve, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
What caught my eye in Blayne's list wasn't the specific authors/franchises, but that it was almost exclusively franchises. The best authors don't write in those (except possibly when they are just getting started.)
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, how many people here (apart from Blayne, obviously) have actually read the Haloverse novels? I haven't, which is why I nobly refrained from laughing at their being called smart SF.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Other people were criticizing Blayne's tastes first. Blayne apparently has a much lower tolerance for criticism from Primal Curve, though.

It's not clear whether you're just talking about this thread -- Blayne and Primal have some pretty negative history.

Added: I haven't read the Halo novels. I've considered it, since I enjoy the Halo storyline, but I haven't gotten around to them. I do know what transpires in them, though, because I went through summaries of all of the available backstory before starting Halo 3. While the backstory is complex, it wouldn't fit my definition of "smart" SF. However, not much SF does. Peter Watts comes to mind. Actually, KoM, I think you'd like Watts -- he reminds me of Richard Dawkins. Check out Blindsight, which you can get on Watts' website for free if you can't find it in a library or bookstore. It more or less defines smart SF, for me.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
It's not clear whether you're just talking about this thread -- Blayne and Primal have some pretty negative history.

That's basically what I meant. Several other people effectively said that Halo novels are not "smart" sci-fi, but Blayne didn't blow up at anyone besides Primal, presumably because their history has given Blayne a lower tolerance for him.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Oh, okay. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
tom: try googling up an old alias some time.. if you ever used one, that is. How long ago did you get on the net?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I think that Tom got online when he was a zygote (and high school junior).
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The Halo novels to me are of the same thread, the same emotion that the Enderverse novels instelled in me, if you took Ender Wiggin and made him just a Captain or a Sargeant about fighting the nitty gritty ground war against the Formics the books to me have the same appeal covering different aspects of a losing war against an enemy suporior in every way. Insulting Halo is to me the exact same thing as insulting Ender's Game.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, basically, you're looking for plot-heavy military sci-fi and aren't picky about what else is in the book?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay guys, I have less patience for Blayne than just about anyone (you may remember my reaction to his joining Sakeriver) but criticizing his taste in books just strikes me as petty.

He's got his own website now, which he has at least started to blog in. That's what we all wanted. Now, he's getting plenty of attention about it (which is what HE wanted). Let's not make that attention too negative.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Out of curiosity, how many people here (apart from Blayne, obviously) have actually read the Haloverse novels? I haven't, which is why I nobly refrained from laughing at their being called smart SF.

They're pretty straightforward and unremarkable reading that can be condensed into "Master Chief is cool, here's why" and "Check out these twelve pages of Master Chief killing some dudes" and do just enough to flesh out the game world to give appreciable context when playing the games, like 'oh hey, I just got a radio transmission from Oni!'

I wouldn't give any of the novels more than a C grade, though -- they're just route fanboy franchise.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Blayne: you might try out some of the following books/series/authors

Most things by Elizabeth Moon (an ex-marine), particularly her Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy and Heris Serrano trilogy. Military fantasy and science fiction, respectively, with strong characterizations and lots of grittiness. (Both of them are trilogies available in single volumes for $18).

The Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Imagine a young, extremely intelligent, hyperactive, but crippled before birth member of a military aristocracy on a world of honor and tradition . . . who through a series of events ends up with his own mercenary fleet to take among the stars. Several of the books have been re-issued in multi-book volumes.

The Midshipman's Hope series, by David Feintuch. I won't say too much, except that it is very gritty, well written science fiction, told over the career of a member of the UN navy in the future, starting with his first interstellar voyage. It is inspired by the Horatio Hornblower series (another series you should check out sometime), but not particularly derivative.

The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. This is historical fiction about a captain in the British army who rose to that level through the ranks during the Napoleonic wars. It is excellent from military and historic viewpoints. There's also a very good television adaptation starring Sean Bean (and it made a big impact on him; he now works references into it in almost everything he does -- you might have noticed his exclamation when he cuts his finger on Narsil in one of the LOTR movies).

The Misplaced Legion series, by Harry Turtledove. A legion of Roman mercenaries patrolling Gaul is transported by mysterious magical means to a place not of this world, where they have to make a home. Turtledove has his flaws in writing, but this is one of his better works, and draws from a period he knows best: Byzantine history (he has a PhD in the subject, after all).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I remember reading Midshipman's Hope. I enjoyed it.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Starship Troopers.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I don't know if you care about this, twinky, but you're at 9999 posts right now. Just in case you hadn't noticed.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Imagine a young, extremely intelligent, hyperactive, but crippled before birth member of a military aristocracy on a world of honor and tradition . . . who through a series of events ends up with his own mercenary fleet to take among the stars. Several of the books have been re-issued in multi-book volumes.
This series is probably my favorite space opera.

(FWIW, Blayne, I'm also a big Babylon 5 fan. I just got finished watching the entire Babylon 5 series again.)

I'll also second Starship Troopers and I'll add in Forever War.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was just at Chapters and the Ben Bova books look interesting but grrrg hardcover for the lose.

I have read afaik all of the Sharpe novels. I even have the mp3 of Over the Hills and Far Away.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Definitely to Starship Troopers and the Forever War (I was looking at my bookshelves for the most part, and sadly don't have either of those on them -- I read my parents' copies).

Oh, you'd probably like any of Gordon R. Dickson's Dorsai books (aka the Childe Cycle), too. That reminds me, I should pick up the ones I'm missing.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

fugu's recommendations are all solid, Blayne, and seem to be in the style you enjoy.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly disagree with the recommendation of Elizabeth Moon. Her characters clunk like robots and she can't really do military writing either.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you already had a blog here:

http://comrade-bradley.livejournal.com/

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Have you read either of the Moon series I recommended, KoM, particularly the Deed of Paksenarrion?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
So Blayne, has the website been taken down? The link is dead at the moment.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

my schools linux server seems unstable this week. I'm going to setup fedora on my spare box asap.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Linux? Unstable? That's unpossible!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't when you have insufferable boobs writing faulty scripts and MySQL code on it all day.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

yo, ya, where can i find the system linux dictionary, im using fedora.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I added some more site content, my programming projects page with links to my web programming projects. I'll upload my ASP course content eventually.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Updated site, now has my pciture.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Twinky, I really enjoyed Blindsight. I thought it was a fascinating look at consciousness and our brains. The extensive notes at the end were great too.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Ack, I put in a docttype and it got rid of my font colour, what happened?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has removed the <font> tag from its recommendations. In future versions of HTML, style sheets (CSS) will be used to define the layout and display properties of HTML elements.
You killed Kenny!
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The <font> tag was pretty lame, to be honest.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting better. Keep working on it.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Suggestion: That photo should probably be JPEG instead of PNG. Sure, JPEG is lossy, but on a photo like that distortion should be near invisible to the naked eye. PNG has its uses--this, generally speaking, isn't one of them. Be kind to your uni's bandwidth.

And as the previous poster noted, things are coming along.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.