FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Public bathroom conundrom (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Public bathroom conundrom
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay toilets are common enough here in malls here. I had an interesting experience at one. I was told it was Rs.10, but I only had a Rs.1000 note and they didn't have change. The lady was very adamant that I had to pay the Rs.10 even though I wasn't arguing, so I went back to Fahim to get change. I come back, pay the Rs.10, and then that very same lady tells me in a very loud voice that if I didn't have change they would have let me in at no cost. ???? And of course it's only after you pay that you get the toilet paper, two squares, dispensed. Which is why I keep a stash of all sorts of things in my purse...

As for foreigners being charged more than locals, that is government policy here for all tourist attractions. The stated policy is for foreigners & residents versus tourists. In practice, everyone who's brown, including tourists, is charged the local price, and everyone who's white, including residents, are charged the tourist rate. The tourist rate is 10-20x the local rate.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Toilets of the World 2009 Wall Calendar
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to give men an excuse to hang out where women are going to the loo.

A man hanging out in a ladies room would be forcibly removed by an authority figure or other men when a woman went to get help.

A man hanging out in a unisex bathroom could linger and linger and linger until he got a woman alone in there.

I think unisex bathrooms would be a boon for rapists.

I'm against separate but equal, but we gotta keep it in the case of restrooms. I'll wait in line rather than be alone in a ladies room at night with some creepy guy that's just been waiting for me.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're not against separate but equal at all then. You're against many, perhaps most, implementations of it. But the concept itself is not *always* wrong, is it?

"Separate but equal" applied to race was always wrong, because race was never relevant to anything it was applied to.

But sex is relevant sometimes, isn't it? For restrooms if nothing else, even the people who are normally trying to tear down walls of sexual discrimination realize that sometimes it really does matter.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would this be more likely to happen in a unisex bathroom than in any other unisex part of the world?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Women don't usually take their pants off in other public areas.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Assaults in bathrooms are not just paranoia. It's a closed room, generally not too large, and a would-be attacker can be certain there is no one else who can see what is going on, and there is usually only one exit, which could only be used after first getting past the attacker.

There are generally no security cameras recording events.

The victim may be distracted by what they're doing (since people generally don't just hang out in restrooms, they're probably busy performing some task).

I know a man who got assaulted in a restroom by another man; unfortunately for the assailant, the would-be victim was armed with an extremely high-powered flashlight. After temporarily blinding the assailant, he proceeded to kick the living snot out of him.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Women don't usually take their pants off in other public areas.

If you take my recommendation of having totally enclosed stalls, women wouldn't be taking their pants off in any "public" part of a unisex bathroom either.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything Seatarsprayan listed would still be true.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seatarsprayan:
So you're not against separate but equal at all then. You're against many, perhaps most, implementations of it. But the concept itself is not *always* wrong, is it?

The concept is wrong, but setting an easy stage for rape is MORE wrong.

Rabbit: Unisex or not, I would love to have fully enclosed stalls with their own ventilation and sound proofing. The lack of privacy in the restroom is unnerving... especially when the woman in the next stall decides it's a great time to strike up a conversation.

However, they're more expensive, harder to clean (there's a reason there's a space under each stall), would require their own drain and people would tend to have sex in them more.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Seatarsprayan:
Assaults in bathrooms are not just paranoia. It's a closed room, generally not too large, and a would-be attacker can be certain there is no one else who can see what is going on, and there is usually only one exit, which could only be used after first getting past the attacker.

There are generally no security cameras recording events.

The victim may be distracted by what they're doing (since people generally don't just hang out in restrooms, they're probably busy performing some task).

I don't see that this makes them particularly unique. I could point to half a dozen spots in the buildings where I work that meet all those criteria and which are not restrooms.

quote:
I know a man who got assaulted in a restroom by another man; unfortunately for the assailant, the would-be victim was armed with an extremely high-powered flashlight. After temporarily blinding the assailant, he proceeded to kick the living snot out of him.
I also know of cases where men were assaulted in a public restroom. The problem is that I can't see any reason why assaults become more like in a unisex bathroom.

Despite pix's arguments, I really don't think it would be at all difficult for a man to assault someone in a ladies only bathroom. All a man would have to do is hide in one of the stalls until a woman comes in alone. Or he could simply watch the door from the hallway until he knows a woman is in there alone.

Under any circumstances, assaults in public bathrooms are most likely to happen in a restroom that has very low traffic and if unisex bathrooms became widely accepted, traffic in them would likely be twice as high as in single sex bathrooms.

Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

quote:
The concept is wrong, but setting an easy stage for rape is MORE wrong.
So, if there was a security guard on duty all the time, you'd be fine with unisex bathrooms then? Your preference for separate but equal restroom facilities is based solely on security?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some particularly orderly areas where you could feasibly have unisex restrooms.

Like I've mentioned, that would be the exception and not the rule. It is the height of stupidity, for instance, to not have mens and womens bathrooms at sports facilities, bars, nightclubs, dance clubs, fast food restaurants, etc.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Seat: There are other issues, but security is the main one.

So long as there was an all surrounding stall (really more of a room than a stall) as Rabbit describes and a security guard...

But then again, we're back to expense.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.