FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama hates the military! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Obama hates the military!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro: There's no need to be so aggressive towards Blayne. As somebody who has to frequently go back and correct posts for misspellings, grammar, and syntax, I know I greatly appreciate kinda correction rather than folks making light of my imperfections, and pressing their advantage.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Regarding the Reverend Wright, it occurred to me that an analogy for understanding President Obama's loyalty to Trinity UCC is the loyalty that people have to OSC even as his views get more hateful and extreme. Can you imagine what folks would think about fans of OSC if all the got were some snippets from his most racist or homophobic columns?

Not only was the Reverend Wright "American" enough to have served in the Marines, but he made Trinity a real power for good in Chicago. Neighborhood programs that have truly followed the Gospel in service to the poor and sick.

As he had gotten older, his views have become more extreme - a not-unusual phenomenon. He stepped down as pastor from Trinity shortly before all the controversy.

This does have the ring of truth.

There's a meme in academia that old professors should grant their grad students power of attorney in the likely event that they become crackpots with age.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
Um, I did no such thing. I assume you agree that it's a dumb idea that Bush would have stopped the sinking of the Cheonan, especially given how murky the circumstances surrounding the incident are?

Hmm...But didn't Bush cause Hurricane Katrina? If he has the power to summon a huge storm, you would think he could stop a boat from sinking. [Razz]
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Editing my post as the message I wanted to say has been said, but shall still state that Orincolo should still take the first express one way plane ticket to hell asap.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bullshit, I could say the same to you that you don't actually live in Czech republic but is probably some 60 year old fat transsexual who spends his evenings watching Will and Grace there is nothing substantial about your argument its just bullshit grasping at straws. ... you die and go to hell where you and your entire family belongs. ... You are a blind deliberately obtuse cunt.
Blayne, shut up and get the hell off this forum.

/edited to save even better portions

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Make me.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. You know, that's probably the only obscenity that makes me cringe. I'm not even sure why exactly. It just feels so dirty.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Make me.

Not while you're so emotionally fragile. Maybe in time. Till then, someone should just get a hold of PJ personally and tell them Blayne's gone off the deep end and is spewing filth all over the place.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Make me.

Not while you're so emotionally fragile. Maybe in time. Till then, someone should just get a hold of PJ personally and tell them Blayne's gone off the deep end and is spewing filth all over the place.
I've done worse before and I'm still here and there's no way you could make me without sacrificing your own claims to want to fix this forum so go right ahead and try or forever hold your peace you coward.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Heh. That makes no sense.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Samprimary, Orincoro, is it such good fun to bait Blayne? You know that he is basically like a 12 year-old with no impulse control. What sport is that?

Blayne, could you try to consider the rest of us and work on some impulse control instead of like a four-year-old having a tantrum?

Please?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Orincoro: There's no need to be so aggressive towards Blayne. As somebody who has to frequently go back and correct posts for misspellings, grammar, and syntax, I know I greatly appreciate kinda correction rather than folks making light of my imperfections, and pressing their advantage.

Guilty of pressing my advantage, but we're talking about somebody who has a particular problem with understanding appropriateness of language and register in his writing, on both ends of the spectrum. We all make grammatical mistakes, but we do not all try to write above our ability. Our mistakes are a product of inattention, not a fundamentally unsound idea of how to express ourselves.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
Um, I did no such thing. I assume you agree that it's a dumb idea that Bush would have stopped the sinking of the Cheonan, especially given how murky the circumstances surrounding the incident are?

Hmm...But didn't Bush cause Hurricane Katrina? If he has the power to summon a huge storm, you would think he could stop a boat from sinking. [Razz]
Great, now I have an image of George Bush in a sheet, holding a trident and commanding the waves to rise up and obey his commands.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
Bullshit, I could say the same to you that you don't actually live in Czech republic but is probably some 60 year old fat transsexual who spends his evenings watching Will and Grace there is nothing substantial about your argument its just bullshit grasping at straws. ... you die and go to hell where you and your entire family belongs. ... You are a blind deliberately obtuse cunt.

Heh. I didn't catch the full context of this comment because it's apparently gone, but if I *do* know what it refers to... Blayne, I didn't say that I thought you were lying about being a student from China, I was saying that your English really *was* bad enough to cause me to believe that you were. You obviously don't remember that there was a time when you were unable to construct the simplest sentence in your native language. You claimed then that it was laziness that kept you from "spell-checking," as if your spelling was the main issue. The incredible improvements you've made have been thanks to your participation here and at Sake, and I'm sure other places. Don't bother to thank all those people who helped you over the years, only to see you become (remain) the tragic emotional wreck that you are today, mostly through your own actions. You can lie, but you can't fool.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, Have you considered that pressing this advantage against someone who has an autism spectrum disorder reflects poorly on your judgement and your own impulse control?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how you could possibly lay the blame for Blayne's bad behavior at the foot of an autism spectrum disorder.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I don't see how you could possibly lay the blame for Blayne's bad behavior at the foot of an autism spectrum disorder.

Well he has been diagnosed with one and will soon be recognized by his University as needing special assistance. I don't know the details of his particular diagnosis, but it could definitely explain a lot of his behavior. Inappropriate social behavior, weak communication ability and poor impulse control are common to many types of autism. Why do you think its such an unlikely explanation?

It certainly doesn't justify his bad behavior, but I was referring specifically to Orincoro's statement

quote:
Guilty of pressing my advantage, but we're talking about somebody who has a particular problem with understanding appropriateness of language and register in his writing, on both ends of the spectrum. We all make grammatical mistakes, but we do not all try to write above our ability.
Those particular problems really do scream ASD.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Blayne has talked about these issues publicly on the forum, I don't follow many of his threads, but if he hasn't I'd think these kinds of discussions are out line. If he has, then I guess it's fair game.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Blayne gets a free pass for having that sort of disorder. But I have sensed that he responds well to politeness, whereas if you hand him negative energy he amplifies it.

He's a good person, albeit with faults just like anybody else. He just needs people to applaud his goodness, and help him see where his faults fail to get him what he wants.

edit: That's certainly what I'd want as a person when I converse with others.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
quote:

Heh. I didn't catch the full context of this comment because it's apparently gone, but if I *do* know what it refers to... Blayne, I didn't say that I thought you were lying about being a student from China, I was saying that your English really *was* bad enough to cause me to believe that you were. You obviously don't remember that there was a time when you were unable to construct the simplest sentence in your native language. You claimed then that it was laziness that kept you from "spell-checking," as if your spelling was the main issue. The incredible improvements you've made have been thanks to your participation here and at Sake, and I'm sure other places. Don't bother to thank all those people who helped you over the years, only to see you become (remain) the tragic emotional wreck that you are today, mostly through your own actions. You can lie, but you can't fool.
This is wrong on so many levels.

First off I am not an emotional wreck that is your own imagination and delusions in your continued efforts to demonize myself and is entirely hyperbole, secondly as for 'writing above your ability' like it is some kind of crime is the height of your argumentative retardation (and I mean this figuratively) and is a part of a proven track record by you in regards to me as I recall your equally insipid "advice" sarcastic air quotes in regards to my novel brain storming thread which amounted to "don't bother trying" no one can in theory ever get anywhere without first trying to reach above whatever ability it is; Secondly I am not writing above my ability but perfectly within it laziness/tiredness notwithstanding.

I also challenge your memory of events as self-serving, biased, and selective if not outright fabrications of your damaged mind.

Any improvements I have made from when I registered in 2004 to now have been through the kind and constructive efforts of those who genuinely care here and at Sake not the efforts of the unwashed jerkasses whose idea of 'help' is to push someone in the direction of speeding traffic.

Your 'help' is not appreciated and you can seek your thanks elsewhere, preferably Chernobyl.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

It's an explanation. It's not an excuse. Unless the forum wants to make special accommodations for a poster needing special assistance and monitoring, the same rules that apply to the rest of us still apply to him, and as long as he's willfully not going to follow those rules* then Orincoro, or anyone else here for that matter, is perfectly allowed to restate their opposition to Blayne's characterization of them. Especially when it's so obscene.

*this is for the moment assuming that there is still some sort of intent to have someone enforcing rules around here.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

If by opposition you mean treating me like crap and more or less acting as bad to me as I have sure get along with that.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I don't know if Blayne has talked about these issues publicly on the forum, I don't follow many of his threads, but if he hasn't I'd think these kinds of discussions are out line. If he has, then I guess it's fair game.

He has definitely talked about the issue publically, that's how I know about it. The only contact I have with Blayne is on public forums. I'm not positive it was posted here, it may have been at sakeriver but the overlap between the 2 forums is large enough I doubt he'd post about it there if he wanted it kept secret here. If he has not discussed it here and did not want it discussed here, then I apologize.

I'm not suggesting that he be given a free pass to misbehave but there is quite a big difference between a free pass and "pressing your advantage" against someone with a disability.

[ June 01, 2010, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Sure. It isn't an excuse. And perhaps Blayne isn't mature enough to be allowed to post here. In the meantime, practically and for the sake of the rest of us, couldn't you just ignore him instead of inciting him? Pretend he is the age he acts and that you are an adult.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The most I've said on the matter is "Except I am autistic" when one of them described me as acting like one. Open secret kind of thing.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
No it's not. I've seen you say more than that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Blayne, As I mentioned before, I don't remember if you posted it here or on sakeriver, but you have definitely said quite more than an occasional "except I am autistic".

As a friendly reminder (to you and everyone else here), after a couple weeks, I can't keep track of what was posted here and what was posted on sakeriver. I suspect I'm not alone.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Orincoro, Have you considered that pressing this advantage against someone who has an autism spectrum disorder reflects poorly on your judgement and your own impulse control?

Yes, I've considered it. I don't know what I should be expected to do in order to accommodate it. I don't feel particularly guilty or responsible for treating him like I would treat anybody who imposes himself on me and other people in inappropriate ways.

Blayne:
quote:
no one can in theory ever get anywhere without first trying to reach above whatever ability it is
Granted. I was asserting that you were doing this not as a means to self-improvement, but as a means to self-aggrandizement. I am correct, by the way. If you were actually trying to improve your grasp of language, you would show the slightest interest in whatever productive process might enable you to do so. Faking it, and then pitching a fit when everybody notices your fakery is not that process. It is certainly *a* process, but one that fits rather neatly with your other need to inconvenience and agitate others in order to inflate your sense of importance.

quote:
I also challenge your memory of events as self-serving, biased, and selective if not outright fabrications of your damaged mind.

I'm finding it difficult to search your posts of 5 years ago as you seem to have started over 300 threads in the last 18 months. If anyone has a way of finding some of the "essays" you posted here around your initial involvement in the forum, the facts will be quite clear.

quote:
The most I've said on the matter is "Except I am autistic" when one of them described me as acting like one. Open secret kind of thing.
No, you have spoken about it at greater length and you have attempted to use it as an excuse for your inappropriate behavior, until you were cowed into stopping. Now it's a subtext of all your interactions, because aside from your having this problem, you are incorrigibly lazy, and this excuse allows you to ignore any rules you don't particularly care to follow, because the consequences for you have been lessened by the forbearance of kind-hearted people. Or else you are actively attempting to get yourself banned because your internet addiction has caused such massive problems in your life. I would bet on a combination of those factors.

quote:

*this is for the moment assuming that there is still some sort of intent to have someone enforcing rules around here.

I am acting on the assumption that this is not the case. Else, I don't see how Blayne's behavior could not reasonably result in a ban.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
quote:

Yes, I've considered it. I don't know what I should be expected to do in order to accommodate it. I don't feel particularly guilty or responsible for treating him like I would treat anybody who imposes himself on me and other people in inappropriate ways.

What do you think this will accomplish?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Yes, I've considered it. I don't know what I should be expected to do in order to accommodate it. I don't feel particularly guilty or responsible for treating him like I would treat anybody who imposes himself on me and other people in inappropriate ways
Ignore him. Recognize that what you are doing is totally counterproductive and actually provokes some of Blayne's worst outbursts. Stop provoking him.

You already admitted that you are guilty of pressing your advantage. There comes a point when one person's advantage over another is so great that pressing it is bullying. You are way past that point with Blayne.

He's an easy target. Be mature enough to recognize that your not scoring any points shooting at him.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

We *are* talking about an adult here. Perhaps an adult leach with no means of contributing to society, nor any desire to do so, but still an adult. It's charming that you treat him like he's still 15 and will grow up one day, but I'm not sanguine about that. I would rather he get frustrated and go away. Alternatively, I would rather he get so angry at me and my vastly superior intellect that he might actually *try* to become an adult, if only to join us, being unable to win against us.

What are you going to do, put his scribbled Maoist rants printed in creepy block lettering on sandwich paper on the refrigerator with a smiley-face magnet until he's 30? You think that's good for you?

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
We *are* talking about an adult here. Perhaps an adult leach with no means of contributing to society, nor any desire to do so, but still an adult. It's charming that you treat him like he's still 15 and will grow up one day, but I'm not sanguine about that.

I know we are talking about an adult, but we are talking about an adult who seems incapable of acting like an adult. You are capable of acting like an adult but haven't been doing it lately.

quote:
I would rather he get frustrated and go away. Alternatively, I would rather he get so angry at me and my vastly superior intellect that he might actually *try* to become an adult, if only to join us, being unable to win against us.
I think its more likely that Ron Lambert will convert KoM. Be realistic. Right now, you're just provoking him and thereby contributing to making this forum a far more unpleasant place.

quote:
What are you going to do, put his scribbled Maoist rants printed in creepy block lettering on sandwich paper on the refrigerator with a smiley-face magnet until he's 30? You think that's good for you? [/QB]
I already told you what I do, I ignore him. I don't have to read his diatribes, I don't have to respond to him in anyway. Neither do you. Its called impulse control and its a sign of maturity.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

We are talking about a developmentally disabled* adult. Have you seen any evidence that your hoped-for outcomes are at all likely? There is plenty of evidence that it just makes him worse and annoys many of the rest of us.

*Or at least challenged.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

There's an overarching issue here with the whole 'don't provoke' idea. blayne is not just subject to provocations in a vacuum. generally, he starts with his own fair share of provocations.

In a situation where he inserts himself into a conversation and fanatically disregards points of view different from his own on a subject he is obsessing on, often times succumbing to initial rudeness, he is then fired back upon. then he gets angrier and angrier and then holds feuds and short-fuses on people consistently. Then, some time later, has set this cycle in motion multiple times and people are exasperated with his consistent rudeness and apparent unwillingness or inability to change for the better. He invites and provokes, so that makes the issue of his own 'provocation' very, very muddy. And, 99 times out of 100, Blayne is the severe escalator.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

I see, I care more about him than you two do. Must be why he hates me so much.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
There's an overarching issue here with the whole 'don't provoke' idea. blayne is not just subject to provocations in a vacuum. generally, he starts with his own fair share of provocations.
I don't care who starts it. Its easy to ignore Blayne and his diatribes. Its much harder to ignore half a dozen of you involved in a brawl. I'm not going after Blayne for his bad behavior because its pointless. I have some hope that you and Orincoro are mature enough to recognize that your behavior is contributing to the problem and to modify your own behavior.

But I've said that enough times already. So I won't mention it again.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I see, I care more about him than you two do. Must be why he hates me so much.

I care about him, I'm simply don't believe that my engaging him is likely to have any productive effect.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Samp:
quote:
In a situation where he inserts himself into a conversation and fanatically disregards points of view different from his own on a subject he is obsessing on, often times succumbing to initial rudeness, he is then fired back upon. then he gets angrier and angrier and then holds feuds and short-fuses on people consistently.
So don't fire back, the whole sequence changes when you stop it back at that step. I've seen many threads about religion where Blayne suddenly interjects a comment along the lines of religion being some phony baloney belief system that accepts the existence of superman. I could easily be snide and tell myself that I'm giving Blayne a taste of his own medicine. At my worst I tell him it bugged me that he did that, and that I wish he'd treat my beliefs with more respect. I've yet to see him rub my face in it when I approach him in that vein.
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching this for a long time. I wonder why Blayne keeps getting a free pass- is it his age? His immaturity? Some perceived parental attitude Hatrackers have toward him? All it does in embolden him to believe that his rude behavior and name calling are tolerated and justified in the face of provocation. Just a few posts up he says:
quote:

I've done worse before and I'm still here and there's no way you could make me [leave] without sacrificing your own claims to want to fix this forum so go right ahead and try or forever hold your peace you coward. (edit mine)

Which, in my mind, amounts to "I got away with it before and nothing happened, so it must be ok." Regardless of the 'provocation' (and I use that word very loosely since most of the time I don't see provocation, but instead observation, advice and correction of Blayne's posts) this kind of behavior is ridiculous. The answer always comes down to "well, you made me say it!"

I don't remember anyone ever being called a c*nt on Hatrack before- ever. Let alone nothing happen when it was done. Nor do I remember anyone seriously challenging a fellow Hatracker to pistols at dawn (KoM to Ron, despite how deliberately obtuse Ron is.)

Why did Baldar get banned again? Or Cedrios?

Oh well...
<goes back to lurking>

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sometimes it's hard to separate demonstrating your expertise from simply expecting people to believe you because you're an authority. I think it's probably something we could all improve at.
Just for the record, I'd like to take this opportunity to observe that this is actually something I'm very good at. I have mastered this technique by not appearing to have any expertise at all.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Samp:
quote:
In a situation where he inserts himself into a conversation and fanatically disregards points of view different from his own on a subject he is obsessing on, often times succumbing to initial rudeness, he is then fired back upon. then he gets angrier and angrier and then holds feuds and short-fuses on people consistently.
So don't fire back, the whole sequence changes when you stop it back at that step.
This only works if everyone universally adopts an official "Do not respond to blayne" policy. Not only is that not going to happen because he WILL sleight someone invariably when it comes to disagreement over issues like, say, China, or Russia, or "blayne, could you please stop cluttering the front page with so many threads" and it's suddenly 'provocation."

The responsibility for blayne not flaming out and hurling invective and swear words and malicious insults and hatred at the rest of the forum lies with Blayne and nobody else. If he cannot handle "provocation," he should not be here.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by IanO:
Some perceived parental attitude Hatrackers have toward him?

Yes, there's been a lot of that. It wanes every time he flames out, but you get a big sense of those who stick with the whole notion that the entire forum needs to 'play nice' with him.

quote:
Regardless of the 'provocation' (and I use that word very loosely since most of the time I don't see provocation, but instead observation, advice and correction of Blayne's posts) this kind of behavior is ridiculous. The answer always comes down to "well, you made me say it!"

I don't remember anyone ever being called a c*nt on Hatrack before- ever. Let alone nothing happen when it was done. Nor do I remember anyone seriously challenging a fellow Hatracker to pistols at dawn (KoM to Ron, despite how deliberately obtuse Ron is.)

Why did Baldar get banned again? Or Cedrios?

Oh well...
<goes back to lurking>

^^^^^^^^^^^^

What this dude said x1000

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Hell, I love America, and I think the Founders' theories and ideas don't apply to a lot of what we have to deal with in the 21st century. Is that really a surprise, that a document written when parchment was the written medium of choice, and the steam engine hadn't even been invented yet? The Founders wrote slavery into the Constitution, and no rights for women. They were wrong. They were wrong about a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff they made provisions for no longer apply, and a lot of stuff that is important to us today didn't even exist back then. The writers of the Constitution got a lot of stuff right, and left a lot of stuff vague for us to figure out later. They are called framers for a reason. They framed an unfinished picture that we had to create long after they were gone. They gave us an outline, but we have to fill in the details. We do that on a yearly, sometimes daily basis. They might have disagreed with his, but the Framers weren't prophets or gods, they were fallible, they were men, and they were wrong about a lot of stuff.

Wait...Let me get this straight.You think the Constitution is an aged document and that we should just "make it up as we go along"?

Isn't that what amendments are for? If the government should have power to change, grant, or revoke certain rights or responsibilities of the government and it's people, then do it through an amendment.

Yes, and sort of. I'm actually not sure why you put "make it up as we go along" in quotations, since nowhere in the quote block do I actually say that. But really, what do you think the Supreme Court does in a daily basis? If we all knew exactly how to apply the Constitution in every situation, SCOTUS wouldn't exit. The Founders created an extremely vague document in a lot of areas, and really had little idea as to how it would actually be applied in real life. Other than maybe Hamilton, I'd be willing to bet that most of the Founders wouldn't have either anticipated or readily welcomed how Chief Justice Marshall formed the power of the federal government in the first couple decades of America's existence.

So yes, we made up a LOT of stuff as we went along. We didn't do it without some pretty defined guidelines, but a lot of what is judge-made law was not specifically codified.

The amendment process was intentionally made to be extremely difficult, and it has only become more difficult as national growth has exploded. If the government had to specifically have an amendment passed to back-up every judgment made by SCOTUS, we would have only a fraction of the legal protections that we enjoy today.

How do you view the Constitution? You seem to take serious issue with the basic construction of the document, and at the same time are trying to defend it against what you perceive to be attacks, but are really just realities.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I would rather he get frustrated and go away. Alternatively, I would rather he get so angry at me and my vastly superior intellect that he might actually *try* to become an adult, if only to join us, being unable to win against us.
I think its more likely that Ron Lambert will convert KoM. Be realistic. Right now, you're just provoking him and thereby contributing to making this forum a far more unpleasant place.
Theoretically, I think
p(Blayne going away) >> ( p(Ron converting KoM) ~= p(Blayne becoming an adult) given that Blayne is already fairly frustrated on a regular basis anyways.

quote:
Its easy to ignore Blayne and his diatribes. Its much harder to ignore half a dozen of you involved in a brawl.

It is easy for one person to walk on eggshells around Blayne. I find it highly unlikely that given the number of posters on Hatrack that everyone will manage to walk on eggshells to the extent that we don't get regular injections of swearing and whatnot from Blayne (as you seem to concede actually).

It all depends on how you weight the difficulty of ignoring Blayne for a very long time against ignoring much of Hatrack for a short time.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.