FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Remember how over a year ago I promised I would eat a hat ... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Remember how over a year ago I promised I would eat a hat ...
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, Samprimary, that if the movie sweeps the Razzies the people you had the bet with should have to eat the hat.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With the exception of Sixth Sense (one of my least favorite films of his, because it had too much mass appeal), I don't think he can tell stories that interest the mainstream.
Well that's just silly. I get not liking something that has mass appeal because you think it sucks (Brittany Spears) or your tastes are not aligned with mass appeal products, but to not like something just because many people like it sounds very high-schoolish.

One of my favorite movies I have stumbled upon is Ink, but I don't like it because it never got a mainstream distributor. I like it because it is an incredibly imaginative story that was told with fantastic beauty despite the rough edges because of a very limited budget.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! It's up to 6% on RT! There's hope yet!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
With the exception of Sixth Sense (one of my least favorite films of his, because it had too much mass appeal), I don't think he can tell stories that interest the mainstream.
Well that's just silly. I get not liking something that has mass appeal because you think it sucks (Brittany Spears) or your tastes are not aligned with mass appeal products, but to not like something just because many people like it sounds very high-schoolish.
Naw, sounds totally indie hipster. Totes grab a PBR, wear some thrift store gear, and hate things because they are loved.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the best comment from a user responding to this review.

quote:
I didn't hate this movie. This movie hated ME. It laughed like a hyena and stole my lunch money and stuffed me in a locker and hawked a loogie at me through the air vent.

...which leads me to my favorite review I have found. It is pretty crass in places and not for the faint of heart. If the link breaks the TOS feel free to delete it JanitorBlade.

quote:
You start out laughing at how random and mindless everything in this movie is, but about an hour into it, you realize that the movie is actually laughing at you, for watching it in the first place. And it's laughing louder than you are, because it's got Dolby surround-sound and you're choking on your suspension of disbelief.
quote:
Oh yeah - that's another one of the ways in which this movie pokes fun at the very idea of epic fantasy: the endless confusing voice-over, in which tons of important story developments happen off-camera while we're looking at a picture of a tree or a CG mountain. Because why do we privilege the story of the hero's progress over the tree?, Shaymalan asks. Why does the original Star Wars insist on showing us Luke Skywalker training with a lightsaber, instead of telling us that Luke Skywalker trained with a lightsaber while showing us a tracking shot of some rocks?
quote:
It must have taken hours to get the right level of random, Ketamine-overdose level of dissociation into every scene where somebody explains about importance of the avatar and how you have to feel your feelings, in order to gerbil machete fish dumpling crank handle.
quote:
There are plenty of bad movies that know they're bad — but TLA is the first bad movie that knows that you are bad...it actually MST3Ks its audience. Noah Ringer and that Civil War vampire from Twilight may seem at first to be sleepwalking through a rote adventure, but you realize at last that they're actually delivering a commentary track on your callowness as an audience. It's deadpan, but unmistakable nonetheless. Aang and Sokka become Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot, staring out of the screen and bemusedly riffing on our feeble attempts to invest in this saga.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
From the above review -

quote:
Later in the film, Katara says my favorite line ever, "We need to show them that we believe in our beliefs as much as they believe in their beliefs."
Did Donald Rumsfeld write this movie? That would explain a lot, actually.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is pretty crass in places and not for the faint of heart.
After reading paragraph four, I'd call that an understatement. [Razz]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Tropers appear to either have withheld judgement as of yet or generally seem to have warmly received it.

Looking at their explanations of some of the changes a few things start to make sense, Shamaylon wanted the ethnicity of the different nations to reflect the lead (in theory anyways) actor/hero of them and has promised that Toph will be played by an Asian next film.

Also if you do look at it Firebending seem to have gotten the biggest advantage in the original series as they were the only ones to not need to do logistics to supply their firebending while everyone else needed a source nearby. This makes things interesting as its explained that the fireboulder launching is now ALSO a tactic to supply front line soldiers with a fire source for their bending.

Its alright thinking, I know in the series it originates from the chi of the individual and it helped to give the Fire Nation an increased threat level as they were thus much better suited for aggression, but as changes go its at least interesting.

I am stil optimistic though I am pissed at Katara not being badass in the film as she was in the series.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Except that unlike with fire, there are almost always ready supplies of earth, air, and water wherever you go. naturally occurring fire, by comparison, is rare enough that harnessing it is basically one of mankind's first significant technological advances.

We don't make a note of when homo-sapiens (or predecessors) first learned how to use water.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys welcome back.

The film was terrible on every level! It was the most hilariously dumb thing I have seen in theatres since Dungeons and Dragons. It fully deserved its single-digits rating on RottenTomatoes.

By unanimous and nauseated consent as well as the overwhelmingly negative consensus of critics, I did not eat a hat.

I can sure call 'em.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

hey look how awesome bending is in this movie

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7750/hahahhahahawat.gif

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact this is all YOUR fault. It's only horrible because YOU said it would be.

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

There is one person to blame for how dumb this movie is, and that's m. night lolbender!
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is an nice turn of events.
*satisfied*

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just gonna come out and say it - I wasn't too disappointed by the movie. I had ridiculously low expectations that weren't met, and I could probably complain about nearly every second of the movie, but that being said, I would go see the second one, if only to see Toph and Azula.

Well, I would go see the second one if they fixed the pronunciations. Every time I heard Soka or Aang's name pronounced, I wanted to erase that second of my life.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
There is one person to blame for how dumb this movie is, and that's m. night lolbender!

This is an interesting take on the issue of blame.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
That was interesting. They seem to leave out (except maybe in the cartoon) the hoards of people who supported this film (and others like it) even when it was pretty clear that it wasn't even going to be a good film.

Why bother making either ethical films or good ones when so many of you are willing to give them your money no matter what?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

m. night is not to blame for the systemic racism in hollywood films. he is, however, directly responsible for the extent to which this movie sucked. Including the hand-picking of a lead actor with no real acting skill of any sort.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Looking at their explanations of some of the changes a few things start to make sense, Shamaylon wanted the ethnicity of the different nations to reflect the lead (in theory anyways) actor/hero of them and has promised that Toph will be played by an Asian next film.

Blayne, I'm really not sure why you're so keen on defending this movie, but this explanation doesn't make much sense. The folks makin' this went out of their way to change the race of the overwhelming majority of the main cast of the story, in ways that switched the protagonists from minorities (in the USA) and the antagonists to minorities (again, in the USA). If it had happened with one cultural group within the story, that'd be one thing, or maybe even two out of three, but all of them?

quote:
I'm just gonna come out and say it - I wasn't too disappointed by the movie. I had ridiculously low expectations that weren't met, and I could probably complain about nearly every second of the movie, but that being said, I would go see the second one, if only to see Toph and Azula.

I was deeply disappointed in it even after, due to the overwhelmingly negative majority opinion on it, I went in with incredibly low expectations. I can't recall the last time I went into a film expecting less while hoping to enjoy it. I am interested to see Toph, but I am incredibly dubious about Azula. She did not look remotely frightening or even intimidating in the bits we've seen.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I was deeply disappointed in it even after, due to the overwhelmingly negative majority opinion on it, I went in with incredibly low expectations. I can't recall the last time I went into a film expecting less while hoping to enjoy it.

And yet you (like so many others) rewarded them. Why would they change their behaviour?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Actually, I didn't. I paid for a soda for that film, and not even all of that. Something under a dollar, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I pseudo-rewarded the film because I was hoping against hope - because I really enjoyed the source material - that my expectations might turn out to be wrong. I think the level of offense would have to rise to a higher level than system racism before I would judge a book by its cover and not partake of it if it is panned. That is, after all, present in all Hollywood movies. In fact, present in most movies made period.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I was deeply disappointed in it even after, due to the overwhelmingly negative majority opinion on it, I went in with incredibly low expectations. I can't recall the last time I went into a film expecting less while hoping to enjoy it.

And yet you (like so many others) rewarded them. Why would they change their behaviour?
In marketing metrics and customer reception analysis, someone who buys in but then discourages others from buying in is the kiss of death for movies and games alike in sufficient numbers. when a few people (but not enough!) go see the movie and come back with a negative enough reception of it that they start a tidal wave of negative press and word of mouth, they can create a net NEGATIVE benefit that overwhelms the 2-3 dollars recouped from them by the studio that funded the project.

Me, I'm even worse. I paid exactly $0 for the movie and have issued a plenty-fun amount of viral bad press for it. This is a terrible movie!

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Rakeesh, I am glad that you didn't reward them much and that Samprimary didn't give them anything.

And yet, they made an awful lot of money over the weekend. Somebody is rewarding them.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I am incredibly dubious about Azula. She did not look remotely frightening or even intimidating in the bits we've seen.
For anyone who is curious what M. Night will do with any character from Avatar he has not touched yet, the answer is that he will throw away all the complexities of their character and make them suck.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
And yet, they made an awful lot of money over the weekend. Somebody is rewarding them.

It performed about as well as the first Chronicles of Narnia film (which got dropped by its distributor for poor results), the Golden Compass movie (which died on fire) and Batman and Robin (which ended careers and caused an entire movie genre to die on fire and remain dead for a not insignificant amount of time).

It also had returns drop off 40% by the time the fourth rolled around.

It's made about 60 million so far. It has to make over 550 million at the box office to recoup costs for the studio. And if that doesn't happen, bai bai ~~

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am a movie critic by trade, and until recently, I got paid to tell you people which movies merely stink and which ones you shouldn’t screen near an open flame. Well, I’m putting the burden of lousy movies back on you. It’s very simple: if you stop going to bad movies, they’ll stop making bad movies. If the movie used to be a TV show, just don’t go. After Roman numeral II, give it a rest. If it's a remake of a classic, rent the classic. Tell them you want stories about people, not a hundred million dollars of stunts and explosives. People, it’s up to you. If the movie stinks, just don’t go.
10 trivia points to the first person who can name the source (without googling it)
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
quote:

It performed about as well as the first Chronicles of Narnia film (which got dropped by its distributor for poor results), the Golden Compass movie (which died on fire) and Batman and Robin (which ended careers and caused an entire movie genre to die on fire and remain dead for a not insignificant amount of time).

It also had returns drop off 40% by the time the fourth rolled around.

It's made about 60 million so far. It has to make over 550 million at the box office to recoup costs for the studio. And if that doesn't happen, bai bai ~~

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
550 million
Where did you get this figure?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I'm curious: why do you hate the existence of this film so much?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
I am a movie critic by trade, and until recently, I got paid to tell you people which movies merely stink and which ones you shouldn’t screen near an open flame. Well, I’m putting the burden of lousy movies back on you. It’s very simple: if you stop going to bad movies, they’ll stop making bad movies. If the movie used to be a TV show, just don’t go. After Roman numeral II, give it a rest. If it's a remake of a classic, rent the classic. Tell them you want stories about people, not a hundred million dollars of stunts and explosives. People, it’s up to you. If the movie stinks, just don’t go.
10 trivia points to the first person who can name the source (without googling it)
Jay Sherman from Coming Attractions?

Also death to web season 3!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1849-The-Last-Airbender

Bob Chipman aka MovieBob is of the impression that while the movie is a failure it is however decent to its source material, made with the best of intentions, had a glorious last ten minutes, and reinstates Shamylan as a decent technical director and that as a franchise is optimistic that it will improve significantly with the second film.

Something I have confidence in as the same happened with the TV series with Toph's introduction which will happen in Movie 2.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:

Well, I would go see the second one if they fixed the pronunciations. Every time I heard Soka or Aang's name pronounced, I wanted to erase that second of my life.

This was done after consultation with a linguist to use a more Americanized pronounciation, akin to Chou vs Zhou.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Blayne, why are you so determined to like this movie? Have you seen it yet? It's a bit puzzling, to be honest.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Sam, I'm curious: why do you hate the existence of this film so much?

You have serious trouble differentiating hate from being terribly amused by something!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
while the movie is a failure
not known yet

quote:
it is however decent to its source material
no

quote:
made with the best of intentions
arguably

quote:
had a glorious last ten minutes
no

quote:
and reinstates Shamylan as a decent technical director
no
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
550 million
Again.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:
550 million
http://community.livejournal.com/racebending/260429.html
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:
quote:
550 million
Again.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You have serious trouble differentiating hate from being terribly amused by something!
Why do you find its failure to be terribly amusing? It is neither ironic nor surprising nor dismally noteworthy nor interestingly juxtapositioned against more successful films. Did its creators wrong you in some way, so that there's an element of schadenfreude there?

I'm just confused why you find this so personally interesting.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I bet a year ago that if it didn't suck I would eat a hat and suckered a fair number of my friends into accepting this bet

AND

i am interested in the future of the Avatar franchise as a whole

AND

i am very much so interested in salacious stories in film and critical reception

AND

i have been chronicling the demise of shyamalan as a filmmaker

AND

i will likely be working on avatar productions in the near future so we here are all filled with keen interest in the avatar franchise

AND

this is all hilarious and is easy to generate a fun thread out of

AND

i got quite a bit of good press out of my promised liveblog of the movie

AND

this is fun

take your pick, I'm talking about this because it's entertaining.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the point was that, out of context, it's not clear at all WHY you find it entertaining. I knew about the hat bet and presumed your interest in Avatar in general, but had no idea about a lot of the rest of it. On top of that, while I wouldn't have bet against you, I don't think there was particular evidence that this movie was going to suck anywhere near as hard as it apparently does.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
i am very much so interested in salacious stories in film and critical reception
I think this is what confuses me. You have been posting as if the failure of this film to be anything but great is "salacious" or even "juicy." Why? Was there some kind of buzz to the contrary that I just completely missed?
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
How could this not be interesting? Its a stuffed head director taking a loved show and turning it into a disaster over the tears of the fanbase because he still thinks he is an arrteeste. Its m night shyster at his finest.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Its m night shyster at his finest.
*laugh* Ah. Somehow I've never managed to feel for Shyamalan this level of disdain. I'm hearing from you that he's sort of your Peter Molyneux.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:
I think this is what confuses me. You have been posting as if the failure of this film to be anything but great is "salacious" or even "juicy." Why?
Because so, so, so many people I know online and off actually care about Avatar, there was lots of interest and attention on this movie. This isn't like Clash of the Titans, where nobody gives a crap. SO many people were following this actively and were going to go to it on opening night because they love Avatar the t.v. show.

Then stir in two other things.

1. It is not the failure of this film to be 'anything but great.' I didn't say I would eat a hat if the film was great. It is about this film fulfillng my expectations that it was going to out-and-out suck. Not just be okay, or mediocre, but suck.

2. The bet came about as part of watching M. Night Shyamalan's career implode on itself, which itself has a lot of "buzz."

For me personally this is great because I actually took this bet and was fully ready to eat a hat in front of god and country if I lost and, hey presto.

If you still are confused about it I will continue to point you to "it entertains me to talk about this." If that doesn't help you, then, sorry!

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Its m night shyster at his finest.
*laugh* Ah. Somehow I've never managed to feel for Shyamalan this level of disdain. I'm hearing from you that he's sort of your Peter Molyneux.
Molyneaux never thrashed a franchise I liked, so no.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
550 million
Again.
Hmmm. I'm not sure I buy that. The 550 million would have to be worldwide gross. And even then...

This had a budget of $150 million. Only 3 films ever have crossed the $550 million mark in North America - Avatar, Titanic and TDK* - and already this year more than a handful of films have had budgets of $150 million or more.

If Hollywood execs expect every film with that sort of budget to make $550 million or more, they're dumber than I thought.

* I take that back - not even TDK crossed $550 million.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

The $150 figure is purely the total costs of development. It isn't factoring in, for instance, their advertising costs. The studio spent over 300 million on this movie. I mean I'm not going to say whether or not this movie will recoup successfully, but at the same time remember that looking only at how much a movie made in america is not what it grossed in total, which is what is important.
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The $150 figure is purely the total costs of development. It isn't factoring in, for instance, their advertising costs.

I understand that.

quote:
The studio spent over 300 million on this movie.
Wouldn't they make a profit at 301 million then? I'm having trouble believing they really spent another 150 on advertising AND THEN more on theater costs.

The original series is good. And popular. But more so than Harry Potter? Star Wars? Lord of the Rings? Batman? Spider-Man?

Again, if they did spend this much, they're dumber than I thought.

Of course, we should also remember DVD revenue must be counted after the theater run, but that's a diminishing return.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

The Racebending guy's math theory is that the box office total doesn't subtract what the theaters will take out of it as their cut. Even if that person's idea is totally wrong and box office figure = total gross for the studio, that still puts them at about ... i dunno, roughly $325 million? Figures for the studio's TOTAL costs including advertising budgets are vague but are at dead minimum 150 for production and 130 for marketing, plus change.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.