FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Remember how over a year ago I promised I would eat a hat ... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Remember how over a year ago I promised I would eat a hat ...
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my friends happened to be the ONLY PEOPLE in the theater when we were watching this, so we just spent the whole time cracking up and making snarky remarks about it. So it wasn't bad. Also, Dev Patel is pretty hot when he's evil.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have to say it. I'll be disappointed if Shyamalan is removed from the project. But he needs to be willing to take criticism and hear another perspective. If this isn't possible for M. Night, then I get it. He should be removed.
Wow, you think the film was that good, FoolishTook? I can see someone thinking it was...well, enjoyable I suppose, but being disappointed if he were taken off it implies it's not likely someone else could do better, or am I misreading you?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/syonanto/TLA%20pics/cabbagebending.gif

http://i.imgur.com/tGpQN.gif

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow, you think the film was that good, FoolishTook? I can see someone thinking it was...well, enjoyable I suppose, but being disappointed if he were taken off it implies it's not likely someone else could do better, or am I misreading you?
No, I did not like the film. But I'm conflicted as well. I can't pinpoint it, but there were parts that stuck with me.

If anything, M. Night is willing to try things that haven't been tried before. He did not take a safe route with The Last Airbender. The safe route would have been to fill the film with movie-house-approved action sequences and minimal dialogue, to take all the burden of emotional depth off the child actors who were playing the leads.

He didn't do that, and it ultimately failed. But I appreciate the effort. I don't appreciate the bad dialogue, the needless exposition, and the lack of pacing. But that can be fixed with a new scriptwriter (M. Night should fire himself), a new editor, a longer cut of the film, some acting lessons for the kids, and cleaner fight sequences.

What I fear the most is that another director may take over only to churn out a generic, martial arts, action-heavy flick just to get it out of the way.

Edited to add: ROFLMAO at those links. The cabbage guy!

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
CABBAGEBENDING
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I disliked the movie but didn't hate it like my friend. I suspect that's because my friend enjoyed the anime series while I knew nothing about it. I would rate the movie a 25% because while the execution was horrible, the underlying storyline isn't broken and the visuals were nice. I think that an 8% is too harsh because there are plenty of movies out there which are fundamentally unsalvageable because of their plot and this movie is at least above that category. That said, man, it's been awhile since I've seen a movie with such an awful script. If the script were fixed and the movie devoted more time to character development and explaining what the hell is going on then it could have been decent. As it was, I had a difficult time following the character's names and the story seemed to jump from one point to another without any transitions. I don't fault the actors too much because I don't expect child actors to be able to put on a decent performance with such an atrocious script.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
You could have had Michael Bay direct the movie and it would have been better.

Yeah. I mean, the fire scenes would have been awesomely explosive!!! [Wink]

I thought I would have to go to see this movie with my son. But to hear my son say "everybody says the movie sucks" was quite gratifying.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I finished the original series and it was SO GOOD.
So funny, so powerful, so just awesome. It was great!
I wish it could have lasted longer. It was a great series.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You got your wish, google "Avatar: Legend of Kora" Paramount just copywrited the name, so we might be getting a new series soon.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

it's 'korra' and it is happening. they are staffing up on it here and at nickelodeon's animation studios.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.