FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What should I do with all my rhubarb? (Pictures on page 2!) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What should I do with all my rhubarb? (Pictures on page 2!)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try growing some. [Big Grin] After I find me a rhubarb rhizome to plant.

Or... I could buy some from the grocery store. But I'd really like to grow my own. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Pssst, quid, check your e-mail. [Smile] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
(psst! kq! I did! [Kiss] )
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(I like e-mail. [Smile] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(Me, too! [Kiss] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(But you don't answer when I answer you? [Razz] [Kiss] )
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(Check your inbox, you sap! And give me some time to respond, too! Oooooh, you're so inpatient! [Kiss] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Impatient? Sent another! [Big Grin] )
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(Yeah, I can see that. I'm responding, so don't hound me! [Smile] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*howls at the moon*
quidscribis
Member # 5124

It's over to you!

And I'm off to call my district president. [Big Grin]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I did not get your return email.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, I was going to write you last night, but the cat shut down my computer, and then I realized I had to be up in less than five hours for my birthday showing of ROTS (I'm 22 in 2 hours!) [Big Grin] So I just went to bed, sorry.

I will write you later today. We will be moving, hopefully, by mid June. Give it a couple of months. Also, I'll need some time to wade through Church beaurocracy (unless I get called to the RS presidency in my new ward [Angst] , in which case I'll need slightly less time and be really freaked out.) But I'm enthusiastic, too. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I can't even imagine what you're doing up so late. I mean, I go to bed in a few minutes. Sheesh! Ya gotta take care of yourself!

But you did send the email. Er, that portion that you wrote, at any rate. I'm patiently waiting for the rest. [Big Grin]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
well, son of a gun, ElJay . . . grrr

*heads off to try again*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Got it now!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um. quid, I guess the cat sent the e-mail; I no longer have it. Maybe you could send it back to me? Thanks. [Blushing]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
yippee!

*dreams of rhubarb sauce on french toast, vanilla icecream, banana-rhubarb pies, and other assorted goodies - Nathan willing, of course*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

kq, a box of rhubarb is on its way to Texas. Make sure you share with katie!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I will! In fact, I'm going to bake a pie that will be shared with everyone at DallasCon who wants some. [Big Grin] But don't fear, Katie will get her fair share. E-mail me how much we owe for shipping, please. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yup, this is one of the many reasons I love Hatcrack. [Kiss]
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I heard this helpful information today on The Writers' Almanac:

Today is the birthday of famed Swedish biologist Carolus Linnaeus, who is famous for instituting the system of Latin botanical names for plants. What isn't so known about him, however, is the fact that he tried to adapt money-making crops to Sweden to augment his country's agricultural output.

He wasn't very successful on most counts; his introduction of cotton, rice, coffee, tea and coconuts crashed and burned. However, one of his efforts took off and revolutionized Swedish agriculture: rhubarb.

So next time you take a bite of a succulent summer pie made of Rheum emodi, think back on everyone's favorite botanical Swede.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhubarb - the new fast food.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . and mixed it with ketchup and yogurt for new recipes.
Know anyone who would like that?

Anyone?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - where's kq? I think I'd prefer the jewelry, myself.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nah, I kinda like rhubarb javelin. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*hates yogurt*

I am going to mix it with ketchup for a chicken recipe tomorrow, though. [Big Grin]

And the day after tomorrow, I get to see Boon again, and cook dinner over a campfire! [Party]

rivka
Member # 4859

I was jealous enough when it was just rhubarb. Now you're just rubbing it in.

I did have some absolutely luscious golden gooseberries yesterday. Sweet and tart and mmmmmmm.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka, I know ElJay will send you some if you ask. And it's a very good deal-- $7.70 for about 8 lbs. or so of rhubarb. [Smile]

And it's not my fault Boon is awesome and wants to see us even though we're crazy. [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

*hesitant* I'm still worried about bringing produce into CA.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, yeah. Drat.

You could try, though.

rivka
Member # 4859

I think I'll try the farmers' markets first -- if I ever get to any of them at the right time!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think there's one in South Pas. Sunday mornings.
rivka
Member # 4859

That's a little far. There's one in the close part of Beverly Hills on Sunday mornings too. I just have to figure out if it closes before my daughters' gymnastics class (last one of the year!) is over.

I think it may not close until 1, which could work. Yep, open until 1.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, cool! I was trying to think of one open on Sundays for you, and the only one I knew of was South Pas. But BH is much better. Hope you make it!
rivka
Member # 4859

Me too. But we'll see -- since Shavuos starts that night, other things may take higher priority.

Then again, rhubarb sauce is REALLY good with cheesecake. *drools*

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, rivka, you might want to get that looked at by a doctor.

Just saying.

[ROFL]

rivka
Member # 4859

What, the drooling?

Or the rhubarb sauce? If I show my doctor that, I think she'll make me share.

Which would be ok, if I actually had some . . .

quidscribis
Member # 5124

No, no, that drooling. You seem to have a problem with that. It seems to happen all the time. Might wanna get that checked.

As for the rhubarb sauce, I think you should just bottle it all and mail it to me. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, the drooling is just a side effect of all the Stargate she's been watching.

It's completely understandable.

rivka
Member # 4859

Guess what Ralphs had?

Kosher Krispy Kremes! [Big Grin]

Guess what ELSE they had?

YES! It's not the best or the freshest I've ever seen, and they only had the fat, older stalks. But I got some! *dances*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Big Grin] Yaaaaaay! [Party]
rivka
Member # 4859

Anybody have a good recipe for cheesecake with rhubarb? Otherwise I'll just make a rhubarb sauce to go with "ordinary" cheesecake.
rivka
Member # 4859

Mmm. Maybe I'll try this one.
Or maybe this one.
Too much work.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.