FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My thoughts on being "upholstered" (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: My thoughts on being "upholstered"
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, the fabled endorphin rush that supposedly accompanies exercising. I've never experienced it myself, and have speculated with a similarly-shaped friend that it was a ploy of skinny people to get us to exercise more. [Wink]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure you were acting out of prinicple. You were doing it for immediate health benefits. How is what you did any different from someone who gets a bad cholesterol reading, is scared to death of having a heart attack, and then goes to the gym and watches what they eat?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is the only reason to worry about dental care the health of your teeth? Does the fact that it’s a social turnoff to have missing, rotting, yellow teeth, tarter buildup, or bad breath not play any part on your decision to brush and floss?
But... isn't it not an issue since those things ARE unhealthy? Maybe not a naturally yellow tooth, but really discolored teeth can be signs of dead teeth, rotting teeth, or other things. Not a dentist, so I can't really say.

pH, I am so that beaver [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:

Best. OOC. Ever.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate mousse cheesecake works really well when I'm bummed out, too. My consumption of the cheesecake is also not out of principle. Same with...I don't know - calling a friend when I need to talk. Also not done out of principle. I do it because it works - the cheesecake makes me feel better, and calling the friend fulfills the need for a good conversation.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Is the only reason to worry about dental care the health of your teeth? Does the fact that it’s a social turnoff to have missing, rotting, yellow teeth, tarter buildup, or bad breath not play any part on your decision to brush and floss?
But... isn't it not an issue since those things ARE unhealthy? Maybe not a naturally yellow tooth, but really discolored teeth can be signs of dead teeth, rotting teeth, or other things. Not a dentist, so I can't really say.

Do you mean that in terms of appearance, or in terms of the Satan-worshipping? [Wink]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

>_>

<_<

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't read the title of this thread without thinking naughty thoughts.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Good!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I don't see how it's different. Being obese is unhealthy. Having bad teeth as I described is unhealthy. Both are cosmetically undesirable in current society. I'm merely suggesting that one's primary motivation for good dental care may be more cosmetically motivated than health motivated. If this is the case, then there exists a curious double standard as to the healthy vs cosmetic arguments.

I was using the example to make a point about a larger issue that I see. I think that in our pop culture, style over substance has been over the top and in our face for quite some time. Understandably, there has been a reaction to this. For example, adagages like 'you can't judge a book by its cover' can be very true and offer an important shift from the mainstream in ways of viewing things.

However. I think at times the pendelum has swung the other way a bit too far. It's being predominately expressed here that appearances do not matter and they don't care about them, period. I think that's simply not true. The people expressing such sentiments may be surprised when they look at something that is not a commonly used, such as mentioning motivations for good dental care rather than beating the dead obesity horse.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Good!

*jumps*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I think that I worth mentioning that thin people can be physically unattractive and that plain people can be well-groomed. And the reverse. Lest we start autonmatically equating skinny and pretty and unattractive with slovenly.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
quote:

Good!

*jumps*
And I didn't even have to use "the prod".
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ahh, I see. It's been proven that people tend to be attracted to healthy looking people, which includes having whiter teeth, being fit, and being symmetrical. I guess I never really think of the two, attraction and health, as seperate.

I'm not saying I'm someone who would only be attracted to someone who was very in shape, etc... because I think health, especially nowadays, is more than that. Someone who doesn't work on themselves all the time because they are very into say, their work or their family is healthy because working = money = clothing, food, and shelter, and caring for family is obviously a good trait in a potential father. So I guess I'm trying to say that people don't have to be either "IDONTCAREHOWFATYOUARE" or "Please wear makeup. Every day. And run five miles. Thattagirl." I think the issue is much more complicated, and obviously can be very individualized. Man, I hope I'm making sense.

Edit: Me type slow. You guys snuck in there while I was replying!

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
quote:
quote:

I don't see how it's different. Being obese is unhealthy. Having bad teeth as I described is unhealthy. Both are cosmetically undesirable in current society. I'm merely suggesting that one's primary motivation for good dental care may be more cosmetically motivated than health motivated. If this is the case, then there exists a curious double standard as to the healthy vs cosmetic arguments.

I was using the example to make a point about a larger issue that I see. I think that in our pop culture, style over substance has been over the top and in our face for quite some time. Understandably, there has been a reaction to this. For example, adagages like 'you can't judge a book by its cover' can be very true and offer an important shift from the mainstream in ways of viewing things.

However. I think at times the pendelum has swung the other way a bit too far. It's being predominately expressed here that appearances do not matter and they don't care about them, period. I think that's simply not true. The people expressing such sentiments may be surprised when they look at something that is not a commonly used, such as mentioning motivations for good dental care rather than beating the dead obesity horse.

I hear you Bao, its pretty hard to make the point you are trying to make without coming across as overtly critical towards others. You do a better job then I would.

Personally I try to avoid the whole fat=unhealthy or acceptable? debate and simply acknowledge that my ancestors lived a more active life style. Because of appliances life is easier and more efficient. But I need to compensate by keeping my body diciplined and healthy by working out. If I had a job where I worked in a field then I wouldnt worry so much. When I served a mission I was on a bike ALOT of the time, I ate 3 huge meals a day and drank easily 1 gallon worth of fluids a day to compensate for the sweating I did. I never felt healthier. Now I go to a gym 3 times a week, run up stairs instead of walk whenever I encounted them, and try to walk if I do not need to drive.

But even with all that, if I do not watch what I eat, I gain weight. For me its simple.

1: Ignore fatness

2: Am I active enough to maintain my health?

3: Do I eat food that provides me with all the nutrients I should be getting.

If I gain weight that isnt muscle, its most likely fat. If its fat that means I am eating more than my body needs. Or I am not active enough to the point that my diet is justified by my activities.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Wish it was that simple for all of us [Smile]
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
I think that I worth mentioning that thin people can be physically unattractive and that plain people can be well-groomed. And the reverse. Lest we start autonmatically equating skinny and pretty and unattractive with slovenly.

I agree. I think a plain person that is healthy, happy, well groomed, and confident in him or herself is usually attractive. On the other hand, I personally find almost every model I see on TV skinny to the point of gross (although a lot of the grossness is from the makeup style and a perceived aura of unhealthiness). This probably somewhat answers your earlier question about how much I think our looks are tied to our core personalities.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, for whatever reason, weight loss always seems to be much simpler for guys. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I remember a study or something, from years ago, that proved that that was indeed true.
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
BQT, I strongly suspect that if airmanfour had used your wording and content, I would have had no quarrel with him. Then again, I seem to be quite taken with hearing myself yammer on and on lately ( [Smile] ), so maybe not.

It was the language of "And stepping it up for the species would probably be a pretty healthy idea" and the like that raised my eyebrows into my hairline.

I am a physician. I study diabetes in children; specifically, I study the change in pattern from "adult-onset" or Type II diabetes mellitus to a newly acknowledged pediatric epidemic of that very same pathology. I know the complications, and I work hard to try to minimize them.

On the other hand, I also know that shaming (despite minutely temporal anecdotes to the contrary) is not an effective teaching or motivational strategy, be it for training medical students, motivating weight loss, or what have you. Short-term: maybe yes, maybe no. Long-term: no. And I'm interested in the long term.

What shaming as a strategy does work exceedingly well for is the underscoring of power differences betwen those who have power and those that do not, e.g., the highlighting of differences in social class or social status. It can feel good (or, at least, self-affirming) to put others down. It doesn't seem to be good for them in the long run, though.

Unfortunately I don't have ready access to BQT's wording or knowledge store, I was just saying what I was thinking. I'm very sorry if what I think is offensive or "shaming", but it seems to have a basis in reality. Which is nice.

And....MyrddinFyre couldn't be much more right.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I'll take greater muscle mass for 100, Bob.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
I guess I never really think of the two, attraction and health, as seperate.

You do make sense. But I know I do think of them as at least somewhat separate. My very minor health issues are unrelated to my weight. I am basically very healthy. Smoking is unhealthy, yet many people find it "cool". I have certainly been attracted to people with health issues and put off by people that appear to be excellent physical specimens. Not to mention that, while guys in their twenties are likely to be in better shape than guys in their forties, I am much more likely to be attracted (appropriately) to the latter.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Generally, for whatever reason, weight loss always seems to be much simpler for guys. [Dont Know]

Probably 'cause women NEED to have more padding for their bodies to function properly (i.e. menstruation).

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

airmanfour,

I knew what you were saying. It's not your fault that you don't speak female well. Just remember: "I'll love you no matter what size you are. It's your beautiful personality (which is awesome!!!!) that turns me on!"

It's like a magic wand that makes all your troubles go away and gives you time to beat a hasty retreat back to safer conversational waters.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
Originally posted by Megan:

Probably 'cause women NEED to have more padding for their bodies to function properly (i.e. menstruation).

-pH

Pregnancy too. You may not want to get pregnant but your body still tries to keep that option open.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

*giggle* (edit: @ SS)

kmbboots, I agree with you. I guess I'm trying to say, too, that healthy can also mean "healthy for you"... say, the more mature men would be a healthier match for you in terms of life goals, maturity levels, etc. Which is where I see some of the connection between health and attraction. Thinking about this is making my brain hurt, it's pretty complicated seeing as I only know what I have found in my (short) lifetime and I can't really know how other people find themselves attracted to people [Smile]

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
I knew what you were saying. It's not your fault that you don't speak female well. Just remember: "I'll love you no matter what size you are. It's your beautiful personality (which is awesome!!!!) that turns me on!"

This does not work on me as a ploy. [Razz] Although I also have a boyfriend who gets worried when I lose an inch.

I also don't like saying "personality" so much. It's so...broad. If you're going to make a broad compliment, say something about being an amazing person. And then throw in specifics. Oh, and one of my exes told me that the surest way to get a girl is to compliment her on something weird, like, "You have such nice eyelashes!" instead of "You have beautiful eyes."

-pH

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

"You know, I've never met anyone like you before. Usually when I meet someone new I feel awkward and shy. But with you it's different. I can talk to you. You know what I'm thinking without my having to explain to you in fancy terms. We speak each other's unspoken language... fluently. I love you. "
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Or you could just be so crazy about her that you can't keep your hands off her. I always find that convincing.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Man says: You have a nice personality.
Woman hears: You are fat.

Man says: You have a pretty face.
Woman hears: You are fat.

Man says: You have nice eyes.
Woman hears: I am sleazy and cheesy. And you're fat.

Man says: You have such nice eyelashes.
Woman hears: I am observant and see that you are a totally unique person and I dig it.

Or something [Razz]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

"This sand is rough, but your skin is smooth."
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or you could just be so crazy about her that you can't keep your hands off her. I always find that convincing.
So does the judge.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
"This sand is rough, but your skin is smooth."

See, Anakin always screamed "creepy-ass stalker freak" to me.

Edit to add: You know, I have actually had guys come up to me and tell me that I have nice teeth. Like, that will be their first compliment. I don't know if they were using the eyelash strategy, or if they just had a chomper fetish.

-pH

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Or maybe you have really nice teeth!

I get the same vibes from Anakin. Eugh.

[Laugh] JT

pH
Member # 1350

Well, they ARE pretty sweet. [Razz]

But that's still a weird thing for a random stranger to compliment someone on. Hair, okay. But TEETH?

-pH

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Its just an established social norm. I usualy go for the get up, girls like to know that they dress right (I dont lie about it, if I dont like it I just say nothing).

If I have know the girl awhile and she does something different with her hair, If I like I make sure to tell her because apparently spending money at the hair dresser or being brave enough to try something new is pretty tense for girls, a sincere compliment makes their day, sometimes even week.
[Big Grin]

edit: Interestingly enough I've had WOMEN compliment me on my eyebrows and I am a dude. Apparently they look just like I pluck, but I don't.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I don't know if they were using the eyelash strategy, or if they just had a chomper fetish.

[ROFL] It's one liners like this that make me wish the forum allowed signatures.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy is clearly well-trained. I approve.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
Unfortunately I don't have ready access to BQT's wording or knowledge store, I was just saying what I was thinking. I'm very sorry if what I think is offensive or "shaming", but it seems to have a basis in reality. Which is nice.

And....MyrddinFyre couldn't be much more right.

And I do apologize for being snippy to you, airmanfour. That was unkind and unprofessional, and I'll try to make sure it does not happen again.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like a magic wand that makes all your troubles go away and gives you time to beat a hasty retreat back to safer conversational waters.

*Kills teh corgi with my eyes

---

Not this time, bucko.

[Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.