FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the emoticon-users among us.... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: For the emoticon-users among us....
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, fifth page of bickering. Way to go, people.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Eh...we've done better.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Back off, Frisco. That's a whole different, private story, and it's nothing to do with you.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Sorry...low blow. I just really thought your post was ridiculous.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That's why it's practice. Because I hope to high heaven you wouldn't be nearly that rude or hurtful in real life.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll notice, Scott, that I never said I'd send YOU ten dollars. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Tom, while you never said you'd give Scott ten dollars, you did say you'd give "you" ten bucks.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
There is no practice life.
Baloney. There most certainly is.

School is where you work in groups to learn how to create things in the work world as a team. People in English 101 aren't communicating for the ages, but they are learning skills to enable them to communicate. In families, there are relationsips between siblings and between parents that are models for how to conduct relationships as an adult. In business school, people work on case studies to give them the background to handle real-life business situations that depend on them having the skills in place before they are needed. Children play house in model of how to create a real home as an adult. Teenagers date in a limited fashion to learn how to do it well.

Don't knock play. Just because something is... practice, it doesn't mean it isn't important or real. You can learn to swim in other ways than simply throwing someone in the deep end of the pool and leaving them to drown as they may.

[ November 25, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Frisco
Member # 3765

Kat, had I had a similar reaction in real life, I would've responded similarly.

And then apologized, as I have.

Hatrack shouldn't be a place to say things you wouldn't say in the real world. I prefer honesty to niceties.

katharina
Member # 827

If you had done that in real life, you'd still be incredibly rude.

Only you would be rude to someone you undoubtedly see more often. You'd be rude to a friend, or a co-worker, or a family member, or class member - someone you would continue to see, and someone who now looks at you as a person who is willing to hurt. Fortunately, it wasn't someone else - it was me, and you're just text.

If you get the urge to do that in real life, don't do it. It sucks, and it hurts.

saxon75
Member # 4589

kat, there's a big difference (to my mind, anyway) between practicing skills--even practicing life skills--and a "practice life." In school you learn and practice skills that you will need in order to succeed in your profession and other aspects of your life. But the relationships that you form are real, the feelings that you feel and those that you engender in others are real, the impact you have on the lives of other people is real, and all of it counts, and none of it can be taken back or done over.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Kat, I'll never see how forums should be practice for life, and you won't budge, either.

And I need to get to bed.

Pretend I stopped after "Hippie."

But at least know that I'm not practicing. This is part of life. This is the real me.

saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
you're just text.
And, quite frankly, saying this to anyone is out of line, rude, and very hurtful, and I think quite beneath you.
katharina
Member # 827

Yes. Which means excluding people in order to have a clique of your own is also real.

*shrug* He's not? Really? He's a friend? A real person who'd be willing to say that? Does that mean I need to be careful now, because I'll never know when funny Frisco will turn and bite?

[ November 25, 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Frisco
Member # 3765

It's easier to insult "text" than it is real people, isn't it? [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

Yes, if you talk to me like that, you can't be a friend, because a friend wouldn't. What are you, then?

[ November 25, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
Yes. Which means excluding people in order to have a clique of your own is also real.
I never said it wasn't. In fact, that's the entire basis of this thread: that the people on it are real and have real feelings and the things that we do here affect them in real ways. If the people here are just text, then we have no reason to care about their feelings, and so we have no reason to care if they feel welcome.

quote:
*shrug* He's not? Really? He's a friend? A real person who'd be willing to say that? Does that mean I need to be careful now, because I'll never know when funny Frisco will turn and bite?
I don't honestly know how you feel about Frisco, but what you said is tantamount to claiming that he doesn't exist. I don't see how there can be any greater insult than to deny a person's existence.

Besides, you're being disingenuous. If Frisco is just text, then so are you. If you're just text then your feelings don't matter. But that's clearly not right. Besides, if Frisco's just text, then so are all of the rest of us. Then you have no real friendships here, no real relationships here. And that's not true either. And furthermore, if we're all just text, then we have no real effect on your emotions, and that's obviously not the case.

katharina
Member # 827

So the hurting bit is on purpose.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, maybe it hurts because the truth often does.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Kayla, back off.
saxon75
Member # 4589

I don't know what Frisco's goal was, but it sure looks like you're doing it on purpose. If you really want to come off as the better person, that certainly isn't a good way to go about doing it.
katharina
Member # 827

What are you talking about?

I'm not trying to come off as anything. I was sharing my thoughts on something on a mutual topic.

[ November 25, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

I'm talking about you being dismissive of Frisco's existence as a real person. If that's not meant to be hurtful, then I'm genuinely incapable of understanding human expression.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Really? I'll give you ten bucks if you can name one.
I would like to point out that this was directed at me and that I still have not recieved my ten dollars *cough tom cough* because if you will notice...

quote:
Sorry to break the news to you Tom but in my short time here at the Forums you have not exactly come across as the winner of the nice guy of the year award. Maybe it's just me who has noticed this but sadly I doubt it.
I believe I have named somebody and well, doesn't that qualify as "one" that has been named?

Hmm... this thread has become some what angry. Maybe I should appologize for throwing out the "mean old timers" card. I seems that some feathers were ruffled. I was really just trying to say "Tom's a big stinky jerk!" and "let us play too!" with out getting all 3rd grade about it. It's interesting that Tom didn't take much offense to this.

*walking away thinking Tom's not as bad as I thought Yesterday. Hmph, who'd a thought it?*

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Look, I know Frisco's a real person. Very much so.

But I wasn't expecting what he said. I felt blindsided, and I thought, "Why did that surprise me?" Because I don't know him. I don't know what he's like in conversation, I really don't know anything about him. I've never spoken to him outside of Hatrack - not in AIM, not in e-mail, definitely not in person. I don't know hardly anything about him.

Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
Kayla, back off.
quote:
Back off, Frisco.
quote:
Hatrack is for acceptance.
quote:
Whatever it is, it needs to be a loving, safe place.

What is your definition of loving, exactly?

quote:
He's a friend? A real person who'd be willing to say that? Does that mean I need to be careful now, because I'll never know when funny Frisco will turn and bite?

Good thing this is just practice.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Tom has a tendency to grow on ya. Scary, no?

<smilie omitted per terms of truce>

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

None of your business, Kayla.
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
Can you let me know what is my business? I want to make sure I'm posting in the right places.

[ November 25, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

katharina
Member # 827

Not this.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Why not? Is this thread a private forum just for you?
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<smilie omitted per terms of truce>
ahh...that's no fun. Let me help ya out.
[Smile]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Besides, we all just practicing, right?
katharina
Member # 827

*lets Kayla play*
Kayla
Member # 2403

And, on top of it all, if you recall, I was in on all those e-mails. How can you send me all those and then say this isn't my business?

Maybe because Frisco said it first?

katharina
Member # 827

Still playing?
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
Look, I know Frisco's a real person. Very much so.

But I wasn't expecting what he said. I felt blindsided, and I thought, "Why did that surprise me?" Because I don't know him. I don't know what he's like in conversation, I really don't know anything about him. I've never spoken to him outside of Hatrack - not in AIM, not in e-mail, definitely not in person. I don't know hardly anything about him.

I know that you're upset. I missed Frisco's post before he edited it, but I suspect you have ample reason to be upset. It just seems hypocritical to say dismiss someone (and his feelings) as unimportant in the same thread that you are defending everyone's right to be included.
quote:
What's none of her business? The only question she asked is what your definition of loving is. That speaks to the very heart of what this thread is about, and since this thread is about the principles by which we all should guide ourselves in this forum, it's everyone's business.

Having said that, it's absolutely understandable that you'd be upset with Kayla. Kayla, snippy little one-liners benefit no one.

Kayla
Member # 2403

So typical of you Kat. Make accusations and run away. No wonder you don't consider this real. You never face the consequences of you actions here.
katharina
Member # 827

Still playing, then.
Kayla
Member # 2403

See Saxon? It doesn't matter anyway. She rips people apart because her feelings are hurt, then ignores anyone trying to point out the fact that she is hurting others, too.
katharina
Member # 827

Kayla, I'm not discussing this with you. I don't know why you jumped in, but I don't want to discuss this with you. You're welcome to post to the board and to post all the theory you would like - although character assasination of me is unacceptable and in poor taste - but I won't let you pick a fight with me. I'm not discussing this with you.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Kayla, talking about people as though they aren't right there listening is certainly not the best way to get them to listen.

[ November 25, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Yes, but talking directly to her doesn't help either.
katharina
Member # 827

Kayla, I am not discussing this with you. It doesn't help because I'm not discussing this with you.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Are you discussing it with me?
Kayla
Member # 2403

What a shock. Should I pull up all the other threads where you refuse to discuss things? It's quite a pattern you've got going. Jump in, be rude, and then refuse to discuss it. It's amazing.
katharina
Member # 827

saxon75: *laugh* I don't know anymore. I thought I was discussing it with Frisco, but it looks like he wisely stepped out. Um yes, I think so.

[ November 25, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix, you don't win, because all you said in the quoted post was that Tom is a meanie. In your earlier post, you said:

quote:
. . . I have noticed there are a number of "old timers" here who believe that their post counts makes them something special and that until you can match their count your opinion is not all that important.
Even if we grant that Tom is a meanie, you haven't demonstrated that he's snotty about his post count.

-o-

I'd hate to think that people start assuming that people with high post counts are automatically snobs. Or that every sharp rejoinder is motivated by a desire to keep out new people. It almost seems like that famous "reverse prejudice."

. . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Alright then.

I take it as a given, an absolute, that the people I communicate with on this board are real people with real feelings. I assume that anything I say will be received as it would be if I were saying it to the person's face. I know that not everyone will take it that way, but I figure that by assuming that they will, I ensure that I will be hurting the fewest people. Consequently, I try never to overstep my bounds with new people, or people with whom I am otherwise unfamiliar.

But, even more, I view this forum--or, more generally, the Internet--as the only way I have of communicating with some people who I care about, some real friends. Their lives and well-being affect mine, and I like to think that my life and well-being affects theirs. You know what? You're among those people. And I know that I am far from being alone in my view of this forum as a community. This thread alone is a testament to that.

So when I hear (or see, I suppose) you say that this is just practice, or that someone else (even someone with whom you are justifiably angry) is just text, I feel like our relationship is invalidated. If you feel that what happens on this forum is just practice for real life, then we must not really be friends, and you must not really care about me. And, if that weren't bad enough, it also makes me feel like you think the same thing about all of my other online relationships. And that's not alright with me.

If we're going to try to talk about how we should treat newcomers, we should not exclude old-timers. The comfort that we feel in our old relationships, be they friendly or adversarial, should not be a reason to treat these long-time acquaintences any worse than we treat new faces. If we are to have a vibrant, warm, real community, we all must at least be willing to admit that everyone is real and everyone has feelings, whether or not we care about those people or those feelings.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's interesting that Tom didn't take much offense to this."

Well, no, I didn't. I contemplated writing a long response explaining WHY I didn't -- that you're either one of the People Who Stay or one of the People Who Go, and either way things will work out for the best -- but there's an even simpler reason: calling me MEAN is not likely to provoke me anymore. [Smile]

Heck, I know for a fact I'm not even close to the meanest person on this forum, so it misses the mark by a wide margin, anyway. That aside, I've seen users question my parentage, call my wife ugly, compare my physical appearance to Jabba the Hutt, call me a "habitually lying weasel" because I used to work in journalism, and been accused of creating a cabal of toadies as part of a plan to rule Hatrack with an iron fist.

If I seem MEAN to you, I'm sure that's only because I am not NICE. I try to be kind, fair, honest, openminded and generous, but "nice" doesn't really fit. I'm not particularly gentle, either. But you'll never see me lord my user number or number of posts -- God forbid, given how arbitrary both those stats are, especially in a forum that's had as many incarnations as this one -- over anyone; if I strike you as being more than a little arrogant, if I seem to act as though I'm somehow "superior," I assure you it's only because I think I AM superior -- that, in fact, I try fairly hard to BE superior -- in ways that have nothing to do with post counts.

This is me being mildly funny again, by the way. [Smile]

[ November 25, 2003, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.