FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: House
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a series of dreams once that were incredibly vivid -- I mean, to the extent that when I'd wake up, I wasn't sure which was the dream. And they were like a serial. Each night, they'd start off where they'd left off previously. It was quite spooky.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen:
I do love that in his subconscious, his underlings never question him!

But it's more than that. In his subconscious, they don't question him, and it pisses him off. I think it's an indication that he's feeling that they're too well trained at this point, and not willing enough to fight him. He needs flunkies who will fight him. So long as he gets to win in the end anyway.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
After I watched the episode, I was really confused but after thinking about it it was actually pretty good. The whole episode delves into House's world, to see how he views things and I thought that was an interesting approach. Certain parts were really squicky, but other than that it was good.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as for his underlings not questioning him, it bugged the crap out of House when Foreman refused to disagree with him a couple episodes ago.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok folks, we're back!

Fess up and tell us what you thought of the premiere last night. I liked it.

It did feel a little like the writers had to have some cranky snark, so they gave it to Wilson because House is feeling a little better. Seemed like Wilson had his panties in a twist during the entire episode.

I'm annoyed that House has to have a high of some sort...when Cuddy and Wilson didn't tell him he was right about the patient, he decided to sneak over and get some Vicodin. So the question we're all supposed to ask is "Would House have done that if he had known that he was right about the other patient? Is it only a matter of time before he'll miss the Vicodin?" I guess that's his character, but I'm sort of bummed that it's so...predictable. I guess that's the word. I'd love to believe that House can become a happier pain free person, but I guess they won't let us have that. [Smile]

Otherwise, I thought the episode was good. I wish they'd let us get to know Chase a bit more. I feel like he's always in the background and he's the only one of the trio we really haven't gotten to spend some quality time with. I didn't want to spend quality time with him in the first season, cause he was a jerk, but now I do.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So you think it's real, then?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It could easily be a continued hallucination, but then again it may not. In support of the first premise, though, a few things to consider.

1. Again, he has full mobility and takes advantage of that, doing all kinds of things he would have wanted to do when he had the crutch. This time, though, he gets a little pain here and there - possibly the real pain breaking through the illusion.

2. Again, his crew is acting strangely. His interaction when asking Cameron out was odd because he really didn't know what she would say, so his brain couldn't fill in that blank. However, this time, instead of being a step ahead and agreeing with him all over, they were saying "no" outright - possibly his brains response/reaction to the hallucinated killing in the season finale last year.

3. Scenes were still jumping from place to place, but that's really just television editing that we ignore. In the season finale, they drew attention to the discontinuity of common cuts to make it feel dreamlike... so it could still be dreamlike just without the self conscious camera.

4. The preview for next week with the levitation, alien DNA, and whatnot, could be a continuation of the delusion and a heightening of it.

On the other hand,
There were more "non-House" scenes without Hugh Laurie, making it less focused on him, and his colleagues reactions to his "first day back" behavior were understandably cautious. His pain may be gone, and the wacky stuff in next episode might be Vicodin delusions or have some other explanation.

I'm interested to find out. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like it as much. It had fewer "good lines" than other episodes, and it didn't have some intriguing medical scenario (in the words of Cutti "his liver is going to explode because his head's on fire!") being the focus. It was much more character focused than other episodes.

It was a completely different feel. Usually the focus is the disease, with lots of snarky comments. This one's focus was House's character, and really, I didn't like House in this episode.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it's real kq. I'm not sure why, but I feel like so many people were irked by the finale that the writers wouldn't want to do that again. [Smile] Not a good reason, but possible.

I was annoyed that the writers were hoping we'd 'forget' about all the zillion other times that Cuddy has acted on one of House's hunches and been right. Why did everyone have such a fit this time? Why is she so obsessed NOW with him learning how to take "no" for an answer? and this time, the treatment wasn't even risky! I was slightly insulted that they assumed we're stupid and never watched the other seasons. [Smile]

But yeah, I think it's real. I spent the whole episode worrying that the real pain was going to come back though. It hasn't yet, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think it is real.
Or, it is.
That is how I felt!
The thing that makes me think it was unreal was the perspective from the guy in the wheelchair. Was that scene meant to make us think that House was seeing the world through this guy's eyes? Or was it to give us an inside edge on the future diagnosis House came up with, to add tension to the moment, knowing he was "there" and worrying that House would not be allowed to save him?

Either way, I liked it, and was lucky to have caught the first show! It seemed so early for the start.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:

I was annoyed that the writers were hoping we'd 'forget' about all the zillion other times that Cuddy has acted on one of House's hunches and been right. Why did everyone have such a fit this time? Why is she so obsessed NOW with him learning how to take "no" for an answer? and this time, the treatment wasn't even risky! I was slightly insulted that they assumed we're stupid and never watched the other seasons. [Smile]

Yea, I noticed that too. I mean, last season Cuddy was like, "House gets lucky a lot." But now, when House gets lucky it doesn't mean anything?

Also, what was with people standing up to him all of a sudden? It was like, you're no longer crippled, so you can't get away with everything you used to get away with? Because obviously it wasn't his brain making him a brilliant doctor, it was his crippled leg.

So, disappointed in the premiere. I'll watch next week and see if it gets better, but House isn't the kind of show I'm going to watch just out of loyalty.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's real.

I might have to write off this season if it's not.

I wasn't terribly impressed by this episode, but at least I didn't hate it like the season finale.

[ September 06, 2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the episode a lot, but Wilson was annoying me. Constantly patronizing house all the time.
But the ending made me rather happy. gHzg szx juxg ool.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
House was put in an odd quandary by Cuddy. First he comes into her office and she tells him that he isn't acting like himself, he isn't saying that the guy's liver is going to explode and his brain's on fire, insinuating that something is wrong.

So House does his House things and the jigsaw comes togther, even though he hasn't taken any Vicodin. So he's still got..."it"..that constant thing he's always had of being a brilliant diagnostician. He bolts to Cuddy's and tells her what he's come up with, being his old self...and she proceeds to accuse him of being high.

He can't win.

That is when he goes for the Vicodin, when he thinks that he doesn't have it anymore, the "house" thing that makes him "house." He doesn't have any confidence in his leg, he's afraid that will go out on him ANY time, so he uses it as much as he possibly can.

But he's always had his medical deductive ability and now, out of trying to help him, his friends are actually making things worse.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.