FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Discussion on the Renaming of Swine Flu (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Discussion on the Renaming of Swine Flu
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You must take part in a war of self-defense. It's also known as an "obligatory war", which makes it clearer.

Ghandian pacifism conflicts with Jewish law (and common sense).

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does this mean that if you could go back in time to say 1930 and kill Adolf Hitler, the Mosaic law would prohibit it?
If I had the means to go back in time and kill Hitler, I'd have the means to go back in time and stop Hitler. I wouldn't have to kill him, just stop his power play, or teach him to be a better person, or something similar.

I have a short story written where a man goes back in time and kills Hitler, only to find out that the NAZI's took control of Germany, and killed even more Jewish folks, because a Jew killed their founder--martyred Hitler.

So another person goes back in time and kills the first person.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Ghandian pacifism conflicts with Jewish law (and common sense).

Well, I think the latter half is kind of complicated since "common sense" is highly dependent on your cultural background and assumptions about how the world works.

But thanks for clarifying the first part. Thats interesting.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
quote:
Does this mean that if you could go back in time to say 1930 and kill Adolf Hitler, the Mosaic law would prohibit it?
If I had the means to go back in time and kill Hitler, I'd have the means to go back in time and stop Hitler. I wouldn't have to kill him, just stop his power play, or teach him to be a better person, or something similar.

How do you know that?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.