FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Discussion on the Renaming of Swine Flu (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Discussion on the Renaming of Swine Flu
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's the apex predators that have the highest levels of heavy metals. There's a reason they caution pregnant women to not eat much tuna, shark, swordfish, etc. It's because they are very high in mercury, because mercury and other heavy metals bioaccumulate more and more as you go higher in the food chain. It's mainly in the organs and fat of those predators, though, that the really high levels are found. Heavy metals tend to accumulate in the organs and fat more so than muscle meat and other body parts.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been eating pork products pretty much non-stop since I heard about this swine flu, or whatvere they're calling it now.

When it doesn't become pandemic in the US, you can all thank me.

I regret that I have but one side of bacon to eat for my country.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The "flesh eating bacteria" scared me so much that I stopped eating humans.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought this instruction given to ancient Israel was a bit amusing: "You shall not eat anything that dies of itself; you may give it to aliens residing in your towns for them to eat, or you may sell it to a foreigner." (Deut. 14:21; NRSV)
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What's amusing about it, Ron? There are certain things that we're not allowed to derive any benefit from. This is explicitly not one of them.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I propose we rename it Manpigflu.

Or if they insist on making it sound more scientificish... Manpigflu A.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Twitter people have come up with all kinds of amusing ideas:
hamthrax
sowmanella
oinkageddon
aporkalypse
snoutbreak
the other white flu
#namethatflu

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
While we're at it, can we rename the hantavirus the Hannahvirus?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I regret that I have but one side of bacon to eat for my country.
[ROFL]
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
the other white flu

[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on, Lisa. You know why Deut. 14:21 would be amusing. Because anything that died of itself is most likely to be unhealthful (diseased, whatever), and such can be readily fed to those who are not Jews. Thanks, but I will continue to comply with Leviticus 11, because I figure the Creator should know what is most unhealthful for humans to eat. There are clear benefits for anyone who abides by Lev. 11. Go ahead, hog it all to yourself.... [Smile]
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
1) You are assuming that the kosher rules are strictly about health. Under your assumption, Jews should sell milk only to Jews because nonJews have a habit of melting cheese onto hamburgers.
2) There is nothing in the kosher rules which obligates Jews into forcing nonJews to stay kosher. NonJews eat lots of things that kosher-observant Jews do not.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I second manpigflu. (Good one! LOL)
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
I propose we rename it Manpigflu.

Or if they insist on making it sound more scientificish... Manpigflu A.

Half man, half pig, half flu? Or half man-pig, half flu?
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
On second thought, Al Gore doesn't need another Nobel prize.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Oh, come on, Lisa. You know why Deut. 14:21 would be amusing. Because anything that died of itself is most likely to be unhealthful (diseased, whatever), and such can be readily fed to those who are not Jews.

That's dumb. If you go hunting and shoot an animal, and then it bleeds out, it's considered "an animal that dies of itself". Because getting shot isn't guaranteed to be fatal. So this means that a Jew can hunt animals, but can only sell or give the kills to non-Jews, because it's forbidden for a Jew to eat such meat.

quote:
Thanks, but I will continue to comply with Leviticus 11, because I figure the Creator should know what is most unhealthful for humans to eat. There are clear benefits for anyone who abides by Lev. 11. Go ahead, hog it all to yourself.... [Smile]

Oh. I see. So you like Leviticus 11, but not Deuteronomy 14. I guess you figure God was only semicompetant.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I heard on the news that a herd of pigs actually caught it from a human. And all I could think was that the pigs are going to go into a panic over this outbreak of human flu.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Oh, come on, Lisa. You know why Deut. 14:21 would be amusing. Because anything that died of itself is most likely to be unhealthful (diseased, whatever), and such can be readily fed to those who are not Jews.

That's dumb. If you go hunting and shoot an animal, and then it bleeds out, it's considered "an animal that dies of itself". Because getting shot isn't guaranteed to be fatal. So this means that a Jew can hunt animals, but can only sell or give the kills to non-Jews, because it's forbidden for a Jew to eat such meat.

Huh. Wait really?? How would that work if you were living in an environment in which hunting provided you with the best source of food? Did Jews never in history travel outside the range of a convenient meat market or 7/11? I also seem to recall that the story goes that Moses and the Jews in the desert ate wild quail. Did they have to capture it alive and then kill it in a Kosher fashion? Not that I buy the whole wandering in the desert for 40 years business, but seriously, how does a person sustain himself in that situation?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you go hunting and shoot an animal, and then it bleeds out, it's considered "an animal that dies of itself". Because getting shot isn't guaranteed to be fatal.
What if you run up to the dying deer and slit its throat or bash in its skull? Could you then eat the meat? What if you actually shot it in the brain or heart in the first place?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't know as much as I should about the methods of preparing meat, since in Jewish culture, the lay-man has stopped preparing his own meat for many years now.

But I know that Jews cannot eat any meat that was not ritually slaughtered. We can't eat meat that was bashed or shot at, etc.

Jews trap animals and then slaughter them.

Also consider that the majority of meat that Jews eat are domesticated animals - sheep and cattle.

That is what accounts for a large part of kosher issues. The whole blessed by a rabbi thing is nonsense - the reason why a Jew can't buy a steak at a restaurant is largely because the animal wasn't properly killed.

Edit - The quail, right. You can trap them. But also, it was divinely brought. Commentaries say the sky was so thick with quail that you could reach your hand out and grab one.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Historically, I'm pretty sure that Jews were sheperds.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they called it, "Pig Fever"
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I was initially trying to look for a synonym of 'illness' that started with 'O', so I could suggest, "Oinker..." I couldn't think of one, and was gratified to not find any on thesaurus.com despite going through illness, sickness, malady, malaise, unwell, and plague.

So now I suggest 'Porker Plague', but that's not as good.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Huh. Wait really?? How would that work if you were living in an environment in which hunting provided you with the best source of food? Did Jews never in history travel outside the range of a convenient meat market or 7/11?
<shrug> If hunting provided the best source of food, we'd go with the second best source. Them's the rules. Trapping, okay. Hunting, not okay. Except, of course, for selling to others.

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I also seem to recall that the story goes that Moses and the Jews in the desert ate wild quail. Did they have to capture it alive and then kill it in a Kosher fashion? Not that I buy the whole wandering in the desert for 40 years business, but seriously, how does a person sustain himself in that situation?

Yep. We had to catch them and kill them in a kosher manner. But there was manna every day anyway, so quail was extra.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
If you go hunting and shoot an animal, and then it bleeds out, it's considered "an animal that dies of itself". Because getting shot isn't guaranteed to be fatal.
What if you run up to the dying deer and slit its throat or bash in its skull? Could you then eat the meat? What if you actually shot it in the brain or heart in the first place?
Nope. If it would have died of the wound had you not slit its throat in the correct way first, it counts as an animal that died of its own.

In fact, I don't know if you've ever heard of the term "glatt kosher". Glatt is Yiddish for "smooth". It refers to checking the lungs of the animal to make sure there were no adhesions. The idea is to ensure that the animal was absolutely healthy. That the only cause of death in any way was the ritual slaughtering.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's not just that the animal had to die in a way that ensured it could not have died naturally? It also has to die in a specific ritual way?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yep.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I heard on the news that a herd of pigs actually caught it from a human."
quote:
Mixing Vessel
Pigs are an ideal breeding ground for new forms of the flu, including the new H1N1 virus, Nancy Cox, chief of the flu division at the CDC’s Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease, said at the briefing. The running hypothesis among scientists has been that the new flu -- a combination of four strains from swine, birds and humans -- started inside a pig, she said....
...Pigs serve as a "wonderful mixing vessel" for bird, human and swine viruses, Cox of the CDC said.

"If pigs are infected with this new virus, and some of the swine influenza viruses that are already circulating, there could be additional reassortments of them," she said. "Likewise if a human were co-infected with one of the seasonal influenza viruses, and this new H1N1 virus, we could have a virus reassortment which emerged that has slightly different properties than either of the two parental viruses."

Reassortment "is of major concern" in the new virus, Schuchat said. Even if symptoms remain mild, the ease with which the illness can spread among a world population with little natural immunity still makes it a threat, she said.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Pigs 'catch swine flu from humans'
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
(Apparently), all this has happened before and it will happen again.

quote:
For a long time it was thought (and I learned in medical school) that the 1918 pandemic was caused when the virus jumped from pigs to humans. It is only recently, with advanced methods for analyzing the family tree of viruses, that there is good evidence we got the direction wrong: the virus came originally from birds to humans and we then gave it to pigs (Taubenberger et al.; Vana and Westover).

And now it looks like we've done it again

http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/2009/05/swine_flu_humans_a_dangerous_s.php
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
The trick is knowing which of the times it happens will lead to a particularly pathogenic mutation, and which will not -- and reliably so.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I came here to say that the best name I'd heard so far was Colbert Flu (you know, since he's always trying to get things named after him and he managed to frak up those of us who were trying to get the new space station pod named "Serenity"...)

But then I saw manpigflu.... that wins...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
CT: Being able to do that sounds kinda improbable.
What do you know (or can link to) about that area?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Well, I came here to say that the best name I'd heard so far was Colbert Flu (you know, since he's always trying to get things named after him and he managed to frak up those of us who were trying to get the new space station pod named "Serenity"...)

But then I saw manpigflu.... that wins...

I think you can clearly blame NASA for that for deciding on their own will to not go for the second most popular choice after Colbert. Its not Colbert's fault that NASA didnt make any sense.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Lisa, are you deliberately trying to be dense? Or do you actually believe that God proscribed certain kinds of meat just to deprive you of something good so you could have a special "covenant" relation with Him? Must you deny what is evident to everyone else, that the meats said to be unclean in Lev. 11 are unclean for scientifically valid reasons--they are predominately carnivores or scavengers, which tend to concentrate toxins and diseases in the food chain? Some animals said to be unclean have toxic amounts of vitamin A in their livers--you eat the liver of a bear, or dog, and you will probably die. The livers of cows or chickens will not kill you. Shell fish are forbidden too, because as filter-feeders, they concentrate heavy metals and certain diseases such as Hepatitis, if they are anywhere near a sewage outlet.

One of the key parts of "kosher" preparation of meats is to rid the meat of all the blood possible, since "the life is in the blood" and eating blood is forbidden. But truly kosher meat is pretty bland and leathery. It is so much less trouble just to go whole hog and be vegetarians. (Sorry, I had to say that.)

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I like "The Porker Plague." The problem is that I wish we could use porker as the last word, but I can't figure out how to make it work. "The Manipig Pandemic" attains a sort of appalling grandeur.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

"Peste porcina" is Spanish for swine flu. Or we could mingle the linguas and call it porcina flu. That's one less syllable, and flows better, than "H1N1 Flu," which is what the newsfolk are calling it lately.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
But truly kosher meat is pretty bland and leathery.

You are so eating in the wrong restaurants.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Lisa, are you deliberately trying to be dense?

Ron, are you deliberately trying to be obnoxious?

quote:
Or do you actually believe that God proscribed certain kinds of meat just to deprive you of something good so you could have a special "covenant" relation with Him?

Who said that? God commanded us what He commanded us. Perhaps you feel you can sit on judgement over your Creator, but we don't have that kind of hubris.

quote:
Must you deny what is evident to everyone else, that the meats said to be unclean in Lev. 11 are unclean for scientifically valid reasons--they are predominately carnivores or scavengers, which tend to concentrate toxins and diseases in the food chain?

There are many, many commandments that simply have no "scientifically valid" reason that we can see. For example, the fact that the ashes of a red heifer purify someone who is in a state of defilement, but paradoxically defile someone who is in a state of purity. Explain that for us, O All Knowing Ron.

You want to put your Creator in a box. You want to wall Him in to make yourself feel comfortable. Honestly, I don't see a big difference between you and King of Men, except that he's a bit more honest about things. You don't accept God, who defines you. You want a god that you can define.

quote:
Some animals said to be unclean have toxic amounts of vitamin A in their livers--you eat the liver of a bear, or dog, and you will probably die.

Some. And some don't. And some animals that are said to be clean have health issues that the unclean ones rarely have. Anthrax, for example, is a much bigger issue for cattle than it is for swine.

So, Ron, if God doesn't meet your requirements for explainability, will you simply reject Him?

quote:
The livers of cows or chickens will not kill you. Shell fish are forbidden too, because as filter-feeders, they concentrate heavy metals and certain diseases such as Hepatitis, if they are anywhere near a sewage outlet.

Hmm... because there were a lot of "sewage outlets" in the Sinai desert. You're kind of funny, Ron. Funny in the humorous sense, too.

quote:
One of the key parts of "kosher" preparation of meats

Why the scare quotes, Ron?

quote:
is to rid the meat of all the blood possible, since "the life is in the blood" and eating blood is forbidden. But truly kosher meat is pretty bland and leathery. It is so much less trouble just to go whole hog and be vegetarians. (Sorry, I had to say that.)

You're an idiot. Truly kosher meat is only bland and leathery if it's overcooked. Just like non-kosher meat.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Heh.
rivka
Member # 4859

Now I really want to go to Shiloh's. Which my pocket cannot afford.

Alas!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Honestly, I don't see a big difference between you and King of Men, except that he's a bit more honest about things.
To be fair, Lisa, I see a lot more in common between you and Ron on this topic than I do between Ron and KoM.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I don't know if I've ever eaten in a kosher restaurant, but the beef I've had at botmitzvas and such has been really good.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

That's when 'bots come of age.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Now I really want to go to Shiloh's. Which my pocket cannot afford.

Alas!

Wow... you have some nice restaurants in LA. We have Shallots here, which is the highest end kosher restaurant in the city (and has sweetbreads to die for), but it doesn't look nearly as nice as that. I'm jealous. And you even have one of the kosher Subways, too (to go to the other extreme). I ate at the one in Cleveland, but apparently, Chicago doesn't count.
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Honestly, I don't see a big difference between you and King of Men, except that he's a bit more honest about things.
To be fair, Lisa, I see a lot more in common between you and Ron on this topic than I do between Ron and KoM.
Sure. You may see Lisa and Ron as stubborn religious fanatics. But Lisa is not arrogant enough to think that she knows why God commands what God commands. I mean, often the bible explains why a certain command has been issued, while other times, it is silent. I think Lisa deserves a great measure of respect for her level of religious consistency. She may hold her head higher than the rest of mankind, but she bows her head before her creator.

What Ron is doing by using his own judgment on a seemingly illogical part of why God commands what he commands is apologetically explaining the restrictions that make him uncomfortable.

What Lisa is saying is that Ron serves himself, not the creator, in the same way KoM serves himself. I respect KoM more for that as he is not pretending to be something that he is not.

This goes back to our discussion on the other thread about the principles of a religious person. The fundamentals have to be in place. God defines morality, not a human. To be religious isn't to rely on moral intuition, it is to TOTALLY submit yourself to a power that you know to be greater than you. Perhaps the most basic trait of a religious person is humility.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron--thanks. I needed a good laugh, and a person of faith attempting to Logic another person out of their faith is about as humorous as I could handle right now.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

I'm personally a prime-grill fan...
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
I'm personally a prime-grill fan...

Prime Grill L.A. or NY? If the former, Shiloh's is better. If the latter, comparable.

Lisa, we do have some nice kosher restaurants (but no Indian! alas!!!) When I was in Chicago a few years back, I was very disappointed by the quality of the kosher places.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That seems so strange to me. I don't know what the Jewish population of Chicago is, but it has to be large enough that there would be money to be made catering to it with good, high end kosher restaurants. Am I wrong in thinking that, or is there some reason why this void hasn't been filled handily by now?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.