FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Feed back on my posting style. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Feed back on my posting style.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tom's unflappability is likely psychotic over compensation for the fact that he has a really hot wife and adorable children.

Edited to note: It is particularly unfortunate that this post is at the top of a page since it really isn't a stand alone sort of post,

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, I am not interested in having this discussion with you. I tried to ignore it, and finally answered out of courtesy because you pressed. However, that's it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Week-Dead Possum
Member # 11917

- posted      Profile for Week-Dead Possum           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

Its a bit more problematic to ignore bad surgery.

This is what happens when you %&$% with a Possum. Surgery had nuthin ta do with it.

NOT for the sensitive SOUL.

[ January 16, 2009, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Week-Dead Possum ]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
For the record, anyone who wants to can feel free to psychoanalyze me.

But where to start?!? [Angst]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaacckkk! [Eek!] You should Put a warning on that link Possum, it's disturbing, it could scar sensitive people for life.
[Wink]

[ January 16, 2009, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Jon Boy, I am not interested in having this discussion with you. I tried to ignore it, and finally answered out of courtesy because you pressed. However, that's it.

I can't say I'm surprised. You're never interested in having this conversation with anyone.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

? What's with the hostility?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:

I'd like to go on record as never inviting any psychoanalysis by anyone whatsoever toward me or mine.

:: visions of the end of Leon Kowalski's voight-kampff test ::

Oh..okay

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't get it, Noemon.

---

I looked it up. I've even read that book.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAH!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I don't get it, Noemon.

---

I looked it up. I've even read that book.

It's from Bladerunner. I was specifically thinking of what happens beginning at 2:52 in this clip

I suppose that technically the voight-kampff test isn't psychoanalysis, but still. "Tell me, in single words, only the positive things that come to mind about...your mother" always makes me think of psychoanalysis. And I can't think of many ways to more effectively express one's unwillingness to be analyzed than what Leon does.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to go on record as never inviting any psychoanalysis by anyone whatsoever toward me or mine.
*scratches chin thoughtfully*
Interesting...

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL, Noemon, you've captured it exactly. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Oh boy, you've got it bad, don't you.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
ROFL, Noemon, you've captured it exactly. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Tell me, in single words, only the positive things that come to mind about...your mother"
I've seen lolcats on fire off the shores of 4chan.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It's not hostility—it's frustration. You get in these big blow-ups with people again and again, and it's the same thing every time. You never accept responsibility for your actions or allow yourself to be criticized and scrutinized the way you criticize the other party involved. You always shut down the conversation, whether it's by simply ignoring it, saying "I am not interested in having this conversation with you", or calling it "the howling of jackals". A lot of people are really tired of it, but nothing's going to change as long as you refuse to admit that you're doing anything wrong.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some "feed back": It should have been "feedback."
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Week-Dead Possum
Member # 11917

The problem with everyone here is that they aren't possomistic.

-The Awesome Possum

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to be opossomistic.

The thing with psychoanalyzing people is that pretty much all of us are doing it, whether we discuss it or not. Humans are social animals, and so we have theories about the way other people's minds work. This can lead to problems when assumptions are wrong, but on the whole I'd say it's good. It allows me to predict how someone will react to something I say, and thus I can (often) avoid saying something that will provoke a reaction I did not intend.

It's true that stating your theories about why someone does what they do can be used as a weapon. Suggesting certain arguments are the result of bigotry, irrational fear, or wishful thinking can be an effective tactic. On the other hand, if someone has an uncharitable and incorrect interpretation of my motives, it might be best to get it out in the open so I can correct it. And sometimes people might point out a flaw I hadn't noticed in myself, allowing me to fix it. So as long as it's not being done to try to discredit an argument I'm making or merely to hurt my feelings, I think that if you have a strong opinion about my motives, you might as well say it.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Week-Dead Possum
Member # 11917

You know what they say about psycho-analysis?

It makes opossum at out of you and me.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

Oh boy, you've got it bad, don't you.
Am I the only one who read that last line and started singing "Hot for Teacher?"

I even have the horrible dance number going in my head.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Jon Boy, what would possibly possess you to imagine that would be you. You can go stand in the corner over there with S and O and we'll talk again when I decide it is worth it.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I demand that you remove all references to me from your cerebral cortex, and continue to be oblivious to my corporeal existence in perpetuity throughout the universe.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Shigosei, I love your post. That's exactly how I feel about it, too. Especially in a forum where so many people want to write. [Smile]

As for this:
quote:
Suggesting certain arguments are the result of bigotry, irrational fear, or wishful thinking can be an effective tactic.
I think it might work better if we did like real shrinks and asked more questions instead of telling people what we think they're saying. But maybe that's because there are few things in life that make me angrier than being told what to think or how to feel.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*wry laugh* God help me, Katie, that last post was something I'd expect from Orincoro doing a parody of you.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jon Boy, what would possibly possess you to imagine that would be you. You can go stand in the corner over there with S and O and we'll talk again when I decide it is worth it.

Kat, I think you may have just proved Jon Boy's point. [Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
*wry laugh* God help me, Katie, that last post was something I'd expect from Orincoro doing a parody of you.

"Ooooooooooo, it really makes me wonder..."

E-cookie if you get my reference.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sometimes words have two meanings.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:

I wonder what that means? [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:

I regift my previous E-cookie to you. It may be stale, but gosh darnit, you earned it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, this is CT we're talking about. You bake her a new cookie.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

See if I do. I'LL BE DAMNED!
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I bet there are cookies in the corner, where all the cool kids are hanging out.

*goes to take a look*

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

STAY AWAY FROM OUR CORNER!
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Let me play devil's advocate for a second. What if katharina actually IS so much more mature, wise, and patient than the rest of us, so from her perspective, we do deserve to be put in the corner and told to shut up and suck a duck. Maybe the rest of us just don't understand the deep thoughts and great deeds brewing in her extra-expansive cranium and dwelling deep in her old soul.

You know what though, by figuring this out, I think I've just moved up to her level. I'm in the big league now, Pleebs. Oh, I was right. You DO all look like ants from up here!

Orincoro
Member # 8854

We have cookies in the corner... you can come too.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Cookies? *peeks* [Cool]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Take those shades off! :whisper: You're embarrassing us!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness. I got some valuable feedback from a number of people whose opinions I respect and I appreciate your willingness to be frank with me.

But despite how its turned out, I never wanted this thread to be about kat. Its largely my fault that it took this turn and I regret it.

I'm not going to delete the thread because I think that's disrespectful to all the people who posted. I thought about asking Papa to lock the thread. But instead, I'm just goiing to ask people to let this the thread die.

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Rabbit, even tho you a foreigner, I still respect you. [Smile]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
STAY AWAY FROM OUR CORNER!

Before this thread dies, I just want to say that if I hadn't already been 'regulated' to this corner, I would have figured I was doing something wrong. Heh.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.