FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "IF YOU ARE READING IT IN ENGLISH - THANK A SOLDIER" what the hell? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "IF YOU ARE READING IT IN ENGLISH - THANK A SOLDIER" what the hell?
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so this email came to me from my stepfather's Pops...

quote:
This is a good one to pass to the kids!!

To anyone with kids of any age, here's some advice. Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world. Love him or hate him, he sure hit the nail on the head with this!

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping - they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

If you agree, pass it on.
If you can read this - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English-thank a soldier

Like most emails i get forwarded i was about to drop this one into the trash bin without giving it a second glance, but curiousity got hte best of me. It's nothing that unique or worthwhile in my opinion but what really struck a nerve with me was the last line tacked onto the email "IF YOU ARE READING IT IN ENGLISH - THANK A SOLDIER"

what the hell? that line just pissed me off?!

[ October 06, 2004, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

yea the body of the speech really didnt leave me thinking one way or the other, it was in one ear and out the other, it was that final line tacked on by the person circulating the letter that makes me go "wha?"
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it would've been even triter in Japanese?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Or German may have made it more guttural.

Nice list though.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since we won our independence from England... I think it would have been English even we had lost our Revolutionary War.

$0.02

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that list before. One thing I find interesting is the implied antagonism between parents and schools, as if it's schools who turned all namby pamby over parents objections. Schools are exactly what parents, taken as a whole, want them to be. As a society, we may say one thing, but our actions speak differently. Our actions, on all things, from taxes to social services to teacher pay to what kind of schools we have, say what we as a society really want, deep down inside.

All of the watering-down I have seen has come in response to parental pressure and sometimes lawsuits.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think you reading it in English would be even more of a slam against your watered-down education. I think it should say:

"If you're reading this in Latin - thank a decent teacher"

Maybe we should get invaded and all have to learn Chinese. You know what that would do for our learning abilities?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Keep in mind that the stereotypes of Oriental students all being excellent is rooted in part the fact that we mostly have exposure to immigrant Orientals, and our immigration policies favor professional and educated Oriental families. In Asia, they do have their average and below average students just like we do.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're reading this in pig Latin, your friends have too much time.

If you are reading this in simplified characters, you were educated after 1950.

If you reading this on a computer, you can operate a computer.

If you are reading this during the credits, you saw the Jack Chick movie.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
If you are reading this in Reformed Egyptian, take them off NOW.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you are reading this in Swedish-Chef-speak, you're going to get a headache. [Smile]

quote:
hees is a guud oone-a tu pess tu zee keeds!! Tu unyune-a veet keeds ooff uny ege-a, here's sume-a edfeece-a. Beell Getes recently gefe-a a speech et a Heegh Schuul ebuoot 11 theengs zeey deed nut und veell nut leern in schuul. He-a telks ebuoot hoo feel-guud, puleeticelly currect teecheengs creeted a genereshun ooff keeds veet nu cuncept ooff reeleety und hoo thees cuncept set zeem up fur feeeloore-a in zee reel vurld. Lufe-a heem oor hete-a heem, he-a soore-a heet zee neeel oon zee heed veet thees!

Roole-a 1: Leeffe-a is nut feur - get used tu it!
Roole-a 2: Zee vurld vun't cere-a ebuoot yuoor selff-isteem. Zee vurld veell ixpect yuoo tu eccumpleesh sumetheeng BEFORE yuoo feel guud ebuoot yuoorselff.
Roole-a 3: Yuoo veell NOT meke-a $60,000 a yeer reeght oooot ooff heegh schuul. Yuoo vun't be-a a feece-a-preseedent veet a cer phune-a unteel yuoo iern but.
Roole-a 4: Iff yuoo theenk yuoor teecher is tuoogh, veeet teell yuoo get a buss.
Roole-a 5: Fleepping boorgers is nut beneet yuoor deegnity. Yuoor Grundperents hed a deefffferent vurd fur boorger fleepping - zeey celled it ooppurtooneety.
Roole-a 6: Iff yuoo mess up, it's nut yuoor perents' foolt, su dun't vheene-a ebuoot yuoor meestekes, leern frum zeem.
Roole-a 7: Beffure-a yuoo vere-a burn, yuoor perents veren't es bureeng es zeey ere-a noo. Zeey gut thet vey frum peyeeng yuoor beells, cleuneeng yuoor cluzees und leestening tu yuoo telk ebuoot hoo cuul yuoo thuooght yuoo vere-a. Su beffure-a yuoo sefe-a zee reeen furest frum zee pereseetes ooff yuoor perent's genereshun, try deluooseeng zee cluset in yuoor oovn ruum.
Roole-a 8: Yuoor schuul mey hefe-a dune-a evey veet veenners und lusers, boot leeffe-a HES NOT. In sume-a schuuls zeey hefe-a ebuleeshed feeeling gredes und zeey'll geefe-a yuoo es MENY TIMES es yuoo vunt tu get zee reeght unsver. Thees duesn't beer zee sleeghtest resemblunce-a tu ENYTHING in reel leeffe-a.
Roole-a 9: Leeffe-a is nut deefided intu semesters. Yuoo dun't get soommers ooffff und fery foo impluyers ere-a interested in helpeeng yuoo FIND YOOoRSELF. Du thet oon yuoor oovn teeme-a.
Roole-a 10: Telefeesiun is NOT reel leeffe-a. In reel leeffe-a peuple-a ectooelly hefe-a tu leefe-a zee cuffffee-a shup und gu tu jubs.
Roole-a 11: Be-a neece-a tu nerds. Chunces ere-a yuoo'll ind up vurkeeng fur oone-a.

Iff yuoo egree-a, pess it oon. Iff yuoo cun reed thees - Thunk a teecher! Iff yuoo ere-a reedeeng it in Ingleesh-thunk a suldeeer

[ October 06, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
afr:"If you are reading this in Reformed Egyptian, take them off NOW."

I just spewed juice all over my computer screen, and I wasn't even drinking any.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

[Big Grin]

Ewww.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't get it. [Confused]
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Mormon thing.

(The Book of Mormon was supposedly written on gold plates in a shorthand language we call Reformed Egyptian. Joseph Smith translated the plates, in part, using a breastplate/eyepiece device called the Urim and Thummim. So if YOU can read Reformed Egyptian . . . )

[ October 06, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah, thanks.

[Smile]

<--- feels less stupid now.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Sorry, it was a total in-joke, I guess, but it popped into my head and I couldn't resist....
katharina
Member # 827

I stared in horror for one second and then laughed hilariously. [Smile]

"If you're reading this in a park, I'm wildly jealous."

Katie
who doesn't want to be at work today

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are reading this in Hexidecimal--get a life.

If you are reading this in Klingon-- get a real life.

If you are reading this backwards and at slow speed to pick up the hidden satanic messages--give up, your life is over.

If you are reading this in Qenya-- thank an elf.

If you are reading this at work--GET BACK TO WORK SLACKER!!!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Taunt]
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Keep in mind that the stereotypes of Oriental students all being excellent is rooted in part the fact that we mostly have exposure to immigrant Orientals, and our immigration policies favor professional and educated Oriental families. In Asia, they do have their average and below average students just like we do.
I didn't mean that Chinese makes you smart.... I meant that having to be bilingual would make us smart.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School...

<snip>

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

So how "recently" is "recently"?

[ October 06, 2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't mean that Chinese makes you smart.... I meant that having to be bilingual would make us smart.
I agree. Why not teach Spanish and French to elementary students? Immigrants from Mexico should learn English, certainly, but would it hurt English-speaking Americans to learn Spanish as well?

Ah, well. I suppose we can't even properly teach the basics, so this idea is just a pipe-dream on my part.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I believe in the benefits of being bilingual (of course). But I think it's a bad idea to force students with language issues to take classes in second languages. We chose to bring up our daughters speaking English because they were significantly developmentally delayed, and we felt that if we tried to bring them up speaking two languages, they would speak neither well. Now that they're both in kindergarten, they are being made to take Spanish. Most of their worst moments and outbreaks occur in Spanish class, and I believe it is due to their frustration at being asked to do something they simply cannot handle. Conventional wisdom has it that the brain's "window" for learning languages opens and closes early in life, but I think that this conventional wisdom does not describe everybody.
Annie
Member # 295

The population as a whole, however, could really benefit from it. Most people have more than sufficient capacity to learn at least one other language - your brain isn't like a hard drive that'll fill up if you put too much in it. This is more than evidenced in multi-lingual areas like western Africa where it isn't strange for someone to have to know 5 or 6 languages just to get around.

The problem is our teaching of languages - we wait until junior high to offer any substantial language training, and we treat it like a math class and make students memorize words and grammar rules. If we'd incorporate immersion learning early on, I have a feeling a lot more students would be able to pick it up. In my ideal aspirations, I'd like to speak to my children exclusively in French every other day. If nothing else, this will help them develop the ear for the language early on.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I believe it is due to their frustration at being asked to do something they simply cannot handle"

Icarus, this comment intrigues me, because it reminds me of a number of instances with friends of mine, or just people I spoke to.

Is Spanish your first language?

Anyway, the reason I am curious is that there seems to be an emotional component to Spanish. Maybe your girls are rejecting Spanish class not because it is hard, but because they are being made to speak a language they consider private. Do you think this could be part of it? Was it ever that way for you, or for your parents?

A woman I met and talked to broke up with a man because he spoke Spanish. She said she could only speak it at home, ever. I remember feeling blown away by this, as I would assume she would welcome a man who spoke one of her languages. Boy was I wrong!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

My first language was Spanish, but I do not speak to the girls in Spanish. This is more like Mango's problems in all of her classes last year (detailed in this thread, which I've been meaning to bump with an update), where she was being asked to do tasks that were simply beyond her ability. Mango (and to a lesser extent, Banana) does not deal with this frustration well.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Please do update soon, Icarus. I've been wondering how the girls are doing this year.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(The Book of Mormon was supposedly written on gold plates in a shorthand language we call Reformed Egyptian. Joseph Smith translated the plates, in part, using a breastplate/eyepiece device called the Urim and Thummim. So if YOU can read Reformed Egyptian . . . )
Wow, I learned something new today. I had thought the Urim and Thummim were the plates themselves. I was told about it way back in high school by a Mormon friend, and apparently I misremembered what she said. Of course, it doesn't help that another of our (non-Mormon) friends couldn't remember the name "Urim and Thummim", so he called them the "Uma Thurman". As a consequence, for years I could never remember their proper name either. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my ideal aspirations, I'd like to speak to my children exclusively in French every other day
Yes, but you're not going to out of compassion for your husband.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Hey, he can speak to them in whatever language he likes.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
They could speak French with Annie and English wih her husband. Does this solve matters? [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It does. I actually have a French friend who raised her son this way - French with Mom and English with Dad. He's adorably bilingual and corrects my pronunciation every time I talk to him.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think that would make dinner table conversations somewhat difficult, though.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Nah - just keeps the kid on his toes.

My friend's son did get a little flustered once when we were in France and ordering at a restaurant. He was trying to talk to the waiter and at the same time answering translation questions from all the college kids sitting around him. He finally answered a few questions, and then and rattled off a few sentences in English to the waiter. The waiter looked at him blankly, he shook his head really fast, and did it all again in French. [Smile] It was cute.

He also uses phrases that demonstrate the fact that he's thinking in two languages. He was telling us about his day once and said "we installed ourselves at a few restaurants before we found one we liked."

Cute! I'm gonna call his Mom and see if I can come over and pinch his cheeks.

</female anecdote moment>

Hobbes
Member # 433

You wouldn't actually cut your husabnd out of half of the life of his child though, right? Right? [Angst]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 07, 2004, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Why not? The two of you cute the rest of us to death . . .

Suuuuuure . . . go back and EDIT why dontcha. [Razz]

[ October 07, 2004, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

[Razz] I got the edit in way before your post.

Hobbes [Smile]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If you are reading this at work--GET BACK TO WORK SLACKER!!!

[No No]

Okay, I confess - I did that last night. [Taunt]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Obviously not.
Hobbes
Member # 433

The forum shows that I got it in 2 minutes before you posted.

I have no qualms editing my post when my fingers slip and add an 'e' to the end of a word, especially when no one has responded at that point.

Hobbes [Smile]

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading it in English.

But I'd like to thank mom, for enrolling me in an English course when I was really young.
I'd also like to thank all my nice english teachers, some of them American, some from England or Scotland.

[Smile]

No disrespect for soldiers, though. [Smile]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

i just dont see where a soldier is responsible for us reading it in english?
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

The idea is an old, paranoid one: that if we had ever been conquered by another nation, we would have been forced to adopt a different language.

I think it's pretty far-fetched, personally.

Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Which of the Founding Fathers wanted Greek to be the official language of the country? Madison? I don't recall right off, only that there was discussion as to whether an official language should be specified in the Constitution, and Greek was voted down.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer.
It took me a while to parse this sentence out. At first I thought it meant "In some schools they'll give you the right answer as MANY TIMES as you want to get it." Then I realized the proper interpretation is "They'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want... to get the right answer," where by 'times' the author seems to mean tries or attempts.

The list could've used an editor's touch, perhaps MANY TIMES.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Magson, I believe the real debate was between English, German, and to some extent French and not Greek.

The popular proponent for German was Benjamin Franklin, but it more of an ironic and desperate argument rather than rational logic (a sentiment that was probably aligned with some of his time spent in France).

The info is out there, I'm sure.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sure, make me look it up myself - - --

quote:
Notwithstanding a persistent legend that German missed becoming our official language by a single vote, American English has never been in jeopardy. In 1795, the 3rd Congress did consider and reject a petition by German Americans in Virginia to translate all federal laws into their language. A tie vote in the House of Representatives appears to have been broken by Speaker Frederick A. C. Muhlenberg, a Pennsylvania German with budgetary concerns and assimilationist tendencies. Poor recordkeeping leaves much uncertainty about what role he may have played. But the Muhlenberg legend is certainly false: German was never seriously considered as an official language – despite a century of claims by the likes of Ripley's Believe-It-or-Not, the German-American Bund, and Parade magazine.

Americans have traditionally resisted language legislation, beginning in 1780, when John Adams propoised to establish an official Language Academy to set standards for English. This idea was rejected by the Continental Congress as an improper role for government and a threat to individual liberties. A century later President Teddy Roosevelt's attempt to "reform" English spelling met a similar fate. There was no English proficiency requirement to become naturalized as a U.S. citizen until 1906 – the first major language restriction to be enacted at the federal level.

On the other hand, the Continental Congress saw nothing wrong with printing its Journals and other official documents in German and in French (hoping to win Québécois support for the Revolution).

I could still swear I heard of Greek being proposed. . . .
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To say that language has never been a major force in American history or politics, however, is not to say that politicians have always resisted linguistic jingoism. In 1753 Benjamin Franklin voiced his concern that German immigrants were not learning English: "Those [Germans] who come hither are generally the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation .... they will soon so outnumber us, that all the advantages we have will not, in My Opinion, be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious."
This is more of what I was thinking about (like I said, it wasn't a positive suggestion).

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I only don't get the "thank a soldier" line ...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.