FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Deepak Chopra on the level about this?

Author Topic: Is Deepak Chopra on the level about this?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
There was an interview published in my local paper, in which Mr. Chopra gave his views on a number of topics. In addition to the usual stuff, he dropped a little bombshell- "Science has proven that the spirit, or soul is physically real. It exists, and no one today denies it."

He went on at length about how this shows we don't need religion anymore to define such things (and how religion is evil anyway)...but I was still stunned by his opener.

Science has proven that the human soul exists? [Eek!]

That's huge news. We're talking world-shaking news.

He didn't explain or give detail...so I must ask- Was there actually something behind that? Has one of the biggest discoveries in human history happened, and it just didn't cause much of a buzz?

Or was he just giving his own spin to something far more mundane?

[ August 21, 2006, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the latter.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this go back to those "how much does a soul weigh" experiments, where they mathematically assigned a weight to one's soul when it leaves the body after death?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Does this go back to those "how much does a soul weigh" experiments, where they mathematically assigned a weight to one's soul when it leaves the body after death?

Do you mean? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_MacDougall
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I know many people who find Deepak Chopra to be intriguing, especially his claim that one does not need to age. As for myself, I've never felt much confidence in him.

I'm finding the Wikipedia article on him to be informative on current controversies that surround him and a good source for further links.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Science can't prove anything is physically real. That's not the domain of science.

I suspect that what science has actually done is shown that various physical things behave in a manner that is consistent with some theory of Deepak Chopra's that includes a soul.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got a bit of a raised brow over how he condemned current medicine for "killing" cancer cells in the interview.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. That's the only arguably scientific attempt to quantify it that I know of.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. That's the only arguably scientific attempt to quantify it that I know of.
I think Mortal Kombat clearly showed the reality of the soul [Wink]

That too is the only attempt I have seen to scientifically quantify the soul.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.