FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wheel of Time book 12 in November 2009

Author Topic: Wheel of Time book 12 in November 2009
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tor Books is proud to announce the November 3rd, 2009 on-sale date for The Gathering Storm, Book Twelve of The Wheel of Time and the first of three volumes that will make up A Memory of Light, the stunning conclusion to Robert Jordan’s beloved and bestselling fantasy series. A Memory of Light, partially written by Jordan and completed by Brandon Sanderson, will be released over a two-year period.
Whole thing is here. So it's going to take three more books to finish this series. I wonder if Memory of Light is really that long, or if they're just milking it. Either way, I'll read them all, but I'll probably wait until all three are released. That should give me enough time to read the earlier books again.

Edit:

And here's a post from Brian Sanderson's blog on why it's being split up. He's estimating that all three books will run to about 800,000 words.

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't go down that road again. I swear I'll not give in this time. No more WoT for me.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bloat. Ugh.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like they're trying to wrap up all 100 billion story threads.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you have to have room for some braid tugs and skirt smoothings.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, someone's just going to have to read all three new books and from them, synthesize an acceptable ending for the rest of Hatrack.

Not it.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
If someone buys me the books, I'll be happy to read and summarize. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really necessary to read the books? Why not just synthesize an acceptable ending now and avoid the waiting.... How about this:

"Frodo wakes up suddenly and ponders what could ever have inspired him to dream up such a bizarre world."

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

As the Aes Sedai smooth their skirts (not that they were nervous), Rand lost the battle to the dark one. If only someone had done something useful.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. Of course, they'll still blame Rand for being a wool-headed man.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
After overlong goodbyes to everyone and their third cousin, their whole world is actually the dream of an autistic boy with a snow globe who is with Suzanne Pleshet in a small diner with a mob family where nothing happens until the screen suddenly goes black.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got into Wheel of Time. But the fact that Brandon Sanderson, author of Mistborn, is writing it almost makes me interested.

Almost.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't blame them, it was doubtful that Jordan would have been able to publish it as one book... there really are so many plotlines to wrap up that one could easily see the book being 1500 pages. I'm sure had Jordan not got sick and died the book would be pretty much finished but what can you do? I think Sanderson's explanation is pretty good and I don't see it as milking the franchise for all it's worth. I think Jordan did that already by padding the series by 2-3 unnecessary books.

Anyways it's hard to complain. The series has been going on for almost 20 years but still not as long as Alvin Maker....

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
But Alvin Maker doesn't have 40million different characters and storylines......

I think I stopped reading at about book 5.....

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, if the story hadn't been dragging it's heels in books 9 and 10 and the author hadn't decided to start writing prequels, maybe the final volumes wouldn't have been posthumous.

The die-hard fans are welcome to 'em. I have better things to do with my reading time.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Well, ten was pretty useless (other then that last scene with Egwene). My copy of ten had a bad end- we were driving cross country and the dog peed all over it. So, it was discarded at a reststop in the middle of the desert. But book 9 atleast had something interesting and game changing happened. I think books 7 and 8 could easily have been combined into one, maybe toss in book 6 as well (haven't read those in a while).
Grinwell
Member # 12030

- posted      Profile for Grinwell           Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully by the time the final Wheel of Time/Sanderson novel comes out (2012), we'll have received Shadows in Flight and Master Alvin. Fulfilling these 3 series will bring a great deal of satisfaction to my literary life.

Closure is a good thing.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grinwell
Member # 12030

- posted      Profile for Grinwell           Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully by the time the final Wheel of Time/Sanderson novel comes out (2012), we'll have received Shadows in Flight and Master Alvin. Completing these 3 series will bring a great deal of satisfaction to my life.

Closure is a good thing.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You dog had the right idea. lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.