FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Chinese glyph in CotM: What does it mean?

Author Topic: Chinese glyph in CotM: What does it mean?
Irhamik
Member # 3313

- posted      Profile for Irhamik           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know what the glyph at the beginning of each and every chapter of the book means? I know that the first two parts combine to form "Dragon". But what does the last part mean? I'm assuming it to be "Army", but I would have no idea why Dragon Army would be alluded to in CotM at the beginning of each chapter.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruinlawyer2002
Member # 2264

- posted      Profile for bruinlawyer2002   Email bruinlawyer2002         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of getting a tattoo and I was considering that character.

I do read some Chinese, and from memory, I recall that it was not a real word.

If anyone can link us to a picture of it, I will be most grateful

Posts: 424 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw that character, I’ve read it as “Dragon.” I thought it was the ancient way of writing “dragon”. Some Chinese characters have been simplified as time went by. I just left it there.

But the last part itself means “a halberd”. So that character might represent “a dragon with a halberd.”

[This message has been edited by accio (edited April 13, 2002).]

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a halberd?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irhamik
Member # 3313

- posted      Profile for Irhamik           Edit/Delete Post 
A halberd is a kind of like a pole axe. It's spear with an axe-like blade on the end, with a spike on the top of the blade.

Which now has me even more confused as to why that glyph is there.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

How about “fighting dragon?” Chinese character represents “war” has “halberd” on the right side too.
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

- posted      Profile for DragonArin14           Edit/Delete Post 
hmm..."Crouching Tiger, Halberd Dragon" Catchy, don't you think? Someone's gotta talk them into making a sequel now
Posts: 463 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mialith2713
Member # 5246

- posted      Profile for Mialith2713   Email Mialith2713         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Kwan Yu's Sword, The Kwan Dao, was a halberd variant, and was sometimes refereed to as a Dragon's War Knife. So it most be a Kwan Dao. What I wouldn't do for a Kwan Dao... [Big Grin]
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpeakerForTheDead
Member # 2644

- posted      Profile for SpeakerForTheDead   Email SpeakerForTheDead         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a shirt I own that has chinese characters running up and down it. So I never knew what it said and I was actually convinced it read "Americans will buy anything." Then one day someone (actually, several people) who could read Chinese started translating my shirt and they said it was nothing but random words like "moon" and "friend."
Posts: 53 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

You need to be careful since I’ve seen some displays, etc. with upside down characters. Some are printed backwards. My son’s Karate Dojo had a poem framed upside down. Yeah, I had to let them know.
Eiskalte
Member # 5438

- posted      Profile for Eiskalte   Email Eiskalte         Edit/Delete Post 
even if it is Dragon army, or Dragon war, or the upsidedown dragon halbred of a karate dojo uniform, what does it have to do it CotM?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really interesting. I've always wondered about the glyph myself. But I'm also curious as to how this relates to CotM.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Descolada Survivor
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for Descolada Survivor   Email Descolada Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey i got hte hard cover of Xenocide and it had a "glyph" imprinted on the cover, any idea what it means?
Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
perilous stranger
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
So is that Chinese for varelse?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.