FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The new maps in a mirror?

Author Topic: The new maps in a mirror?
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread on the originist reminded me of something. When I complained to OSC that Maps in a Mirror was out of print, he told me that they intend to publish a new version that includes some newer stories.

What's the word on this? Is it still in the works?

Kristine, anyone? [Smile]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
For all those that missed them the first time around:

Shadow Puppets - June 2003
Seventh Son - Aug 2003
Hart's Hope - Aug 2003
Maps in a Mirror - Sept 2003
First Meetings - Sept 2003

Source

I'm not sure why Seventh Son is listed twice.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but that is just the paperback of the existing Maps in a Mirror.

I want the new one with all the new stories. Is that still going to happen?

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's still going to happen. When I know more, I'll post it.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

On another note, I find it very cool that Hart's Hope is getting another printing. I love that book. It's too underappreciated.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Definitely needs more exposure!
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, man! i am very excited about this, i had just been thinking about how very much i'd like to own Maps, and of course i am always looking forward to new stories.

i haven't ever been able to find Hart's Hope, so that is also a thrill for me to hear.
i may just get into another reading kick again!
(haven't read hardly anything for the past 6 months or so, but i think i broke the cycle with Lost Boys.)

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

Ok, I know a little more. Maps in a Mirror as previously published is coming out soon in trade paperback. Then, there will be another collection of more recent stuff in a smaller volume. No title or timing yet.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vampyr1818
Member # 4592

- posted      Profile for Vampyr1818   Email Vampyr1818         Edit/Delete Post 
This frustrates me. I am a collector. I will eventually get the big leatherbound Maps In A Mirror and this new collection may throw me off. Please, no overlapping stories, it annoys me so much, same like CDs with overlapping songs.
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe if you stomp your foot that will work, Vampyr.

edited much later: I'm sorry, Vampyr. I was feeling snarky. My apologies. [Frown]

[ May 07, 2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Will the new Maps in a Mirror paperback contain the "Lost Songs" part (book 5).

quote:
Think of this as a bonus section, something that only buyers of the ridiculously expensive hardcover edition receive." (Maps in a Mirror pp.539)

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

My understanding at the moment is that it will be the entire original Maps in a Mirror. However, no promise from me [Smile] The quote was real at the time -- the only plans then were for the hardback and the 4 mass market paperbacks. There really wasn't a trade paper market back then. And now it's the mass market that is suffering.
dada21
Member # 3478

- posted      Profile for dada21   Email dada21         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice too many people talking about this, but it looks like January 2004 has something interesting appearing...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0765308401/qid=1060380891/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-4459446-1228814?v=glance&s=books

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand, I am glad that a new addition of Maps in the Mirror is coming out. I bought The Changed Man at the regular bookstore a few years back, and Cruel Miracles at a used bookstore just recently, plus I even checked Unaccompanied Sonata out from the library (it was one of Card's first short story compilations), but I haven't been able to find the rest of them. I have heard so many good things about Dogwalker and Thousand Deaths that I really want to read them. And when I heard they were coming out in September (ie next month), I just about jumped out of my skin.

Then I looked at the link to Amazon.com and it listed January 2004.

In other words, not next month.

Luckily, since that first web site still list it as September, I still have reason to hope. So will someone in Authority please reassure me/put me out of my misery? Or will I have to go to the science fiction section of all the local bookstores once a week from now until January, just to make sure?

On the other hand, I noticed that there was another book which must have been accidentily left off of your list, namely Treason. Surely a book that a)has so many good things said about it and b)is not at the one used book store in my town will not be left out of the reprinting spree? (best whiny voice) Pleeeeaaase?

Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jer1m1ah
Member # 2575

- posted      Profile for jer1m1ah   Email jer1m1ah         Edit/Delete Post 
you can read dogwalker at www.frescopictures.com/
Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked at Barnes and Noble and this lady that worked there said the new Maps in a Mirror was supposed to be out in December sometime, I don't know when, though.
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.