FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lovelock Questions

Author Topic: Lovelock Questions
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

Although I have been reading the boards pretty regularly for a couple of months, this is my first post, so be gentle. [Wink]

I have just started reading Lovelock last night (I have already read entire Ender/Bean, Homecoming, and Alvin series to this point)and had a couple of questions.

First, I am 94 pages in (about to begin Ch. 5) and although Emmy's age has been mentioned (3), unless I totally spaced it, I wanted to know Lydia's age before I get much further, and I don't think it's been stated. I have my hunches, based on her comments and they way she interacts with her sister, but wanted to know beofe I begin reading again after work.

Also, I am a stickler for pronunciation (praise be for the guides in "Homecoming") and wanted to know the correct pronunciation of Carol Jeanne's last name. BTW, The whole "Penny-Lope" not using the Todd name was hilarious.

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been too long since I read it for me to have any insight for you, but welcome (as a poster, anyway)!

[Smile]

I'm sure that Papa Moose will be along any minute to answer your questions, anyway . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Lydia's age was ever specifically mentioned, but I always got the impression that she was 5, maybe 6 (but a very immature 6, if she was that old).

And I'm not sure I can even remember correctly how to spell "Cocclione" much less pronounce it. Add that you can never really be sure if someone who lives in the US kept a "traditional" pronunciation or if they "Anglicized" it, I'm not sure that it really matters.

E.g. my grandparents have a Dutch name "Maathuis." They've anglicized it so that it's pronounced "Matthews." They don't even remeber what it's supposed to sound like in Dutch. I've met a Joe Rizza, pronounced "Ri-zuh" and I've also met Gabriella Rizza, pronounced like "pizza with an 'r.'"

I really don't think the pronunciation of a fictional characters name matters, as a result. Too many variants on how it actually could be.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the faith that so many Hatrackers have in me, however misplaced it may be.

To my recollection, peterh, Lydia's age is never given -- only that she's still a child, but older than Emmy. Like Magson, I'd put her at 5-6, but that's not based on anything in particular.

No correct pronunciation of Cocciolone is given in the story, either. For a good guess, you'd probably want someone who speaks Italian. What I get from the mispronunciation is that Penelope didn't really know anything about Carol Jeanne other than her fame, and she wanted to be a part of that, and thus tried to ingratiate herself (and/or assert some ownership). What I take from it is that Penelope is probably selfish, will likely have a surface-only view of most things in her life, and only makes a token gesture at caring about or understanding others.

In my head, as I read, I pronounce it Koh-cheeo-LOH-neh, but I don't think it matters all that much. And if I've read Homecoming too recently, sometimes -nyeh at the end instead, just out of habit.

Welcome to Hatrack! If you introduce yourself on the "other side" (Books, Films, Food and American Culture) you'll probably get eaten by a six-foot lizard and offered cookies by a saucy wench, so feel free to stop by.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Thanks for the help. I have read enough of your postings PapaMoose to know that the faith people place in you is based on experience. Your breadth and depth of knowledge in these parts is legend.

Thanks again to all. [Smile]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mentioned a couple times now that I'm working on humility (my lack of it really being my only fault). You people aren't making it any easier, you know? Legend, indeed! [Smile]

Oh, and can I quote you on that in my autobiography?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mongo Lloyd
Member # 5261

- posted      Profile for Mongo Lloyd           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't suppose anyone would know whether the next books in this trilogy are even in early stages of being written? I was really kind of taken by surprise with Lovelock. I was kind of expecting something mediocre, but this is a really good book. Not one of the best, but certainly good. There's not too much action, but it's still interesting. I'd like to see more of this.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Last I heard, they were on chapter 7 of Rasputin, and it was Scott's turn (they must alternate chapters or something). And just as side-information, Rasputin is the name of the witness (a cat) who has been sent to kill Lovelock. However, something in the story line didn't seem right to Scott (an instinct he has learned to trust), but he hasn't been able to identify what exactly it is. So right now, the ball (pen? laptop?) is in his court. He has a few other projects in the works, though, so we have no idea how long it may be.

Welcome to Hatrack!

--Pop

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pop,

quote:
(my lack of it really being my only fault)
I don't see how anyone could ever question you on humility. I think it's clear from this post that you have more humility than any of the rest of us. [Wink]

[Cool] [Cool] [Cool] (if this were grenme I'd use the ninja)

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big-Dork
Member # 5252

- posted      Profile for Big-Dork   Email Big-Dork         Edit/Delete Post 
To quote SFTD "arrogance in humility"
Papa it is what we have all come to love most about your work... a true child of the mind.

BTW, this is my first post, don't hurt me.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackheartedwolf
Member # 6483

- posted      Profile for Blackheartedwolf   Email Blackheartedwolf         Edit/Delete Post 
Any recent news on the 2nd book? I read Lovelock several years ago, and am anticipating the next book. It's been years! This is getting as bad a s Stephen King with the Gunslinger series!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
...except both of the final Dark Tower books are completed, just awaiting publication.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane S.
Member # 6612

- posted      Profile for Diane S.   Email Diane S.         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope my vision doesn't go before the next Lovelock arrives...(sigh)
yes, i know books on tape are alright, by there's something about devouring the word yourself.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Lovelock was a very interesting read. I've read enough OSC by now to know that in every story there will some moment of great suffering, whether it be physical, emotional, or... somethingelseal. It's the moment you realize that Bonzo's not waking up. In West, it was finding out about Jamie's childhood. And when Lovelock [spoiler]made the terrible choice to rebel with finality[/spoiler], I knew instantly what would be the result, because there just wasn't time to do things right. And it still got to me.

Sit back, folks, and get something to drink; we've got a lot of waiting ahead of us.

Edit: I can't believe this board doesn't have spoiler tags. I'll just leave those in place in case they ever start working. I suppose it's not too much of a spoiler.

[ June 11, 2004, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Bekenn ]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julian
Member # 6540

- posted      Profile for julian   Email julian         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Lovelock was published a long time ago. Anybody knows what happens with Rasputin? Can we hope to read it some day?

<EDITION>

Ooops. Blackheartedwolf already asked. Why these things happen to me all the time?

</EDITION>

[ June 11, 2004, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: julian ]

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Rasputin also happens to be the name of one of the most infamous people of the 20th century.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Like a phoenix this thread has been resurrected. I had completely forgot that it was my first post too...

*sighs*

Acererak
Member # 6614

- posted      Profile for Acererak   Email Acererak         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to toss out a few questions, from a new teacher's point of view...

I just finished Lovelock, and I was planning on using the question at the beginning of the second chapter as an opening question for my Social Studies class. I changed one (1) word, and I'll include the change here:

"Two hundred years ago, Britian was still trying to wipe out the African slave trade, Spain had just lost her American colonies, and Russia and the Ottoman Empire were still maneuvering for control of the Black Sea. Ships were still made of wood, steam was the hot new technology, and no one in the world had yet heard the triumphant sound of a toilet flushing. What will (would) Earth be like two hundred years from now?"

My questions are:

Has this book made it onto any Banned Books list yet?

If not, WHY NOT! A book this good should be on a banned book list, if only to entice more people to read it!

I've noticed a few posts about the second book, and an enhanced cat named Rasputin, apparently an assassin assigned to "retire" a certain capuchin monkey... Where can I find more info on the second book? When does it come out, what's the status of the writing process? It's been 10 years since Lovelock, have I missed something? Should I be haunting the used book stores?

Thanks to anyone who has answers!

Tom

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I'm aware, you know as much as the rest of us do about Rasputin's progress.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.